Hypothetical; what if they ALL retire....?

Paradis

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

For fun, let's speculate that after Rivers-- 

• Ben retires over trying to work with PIT on the financial chaos that looms ahead of that team
  • Brady goes to the SB and hangs them up
  • Brees almost assured to at this point it seems
  • Alex Smith, cause why not?

You're talking about a QB Vacuum that will leave - PIT, TB, NOS, IND, WSH all without a proven solution... ALL playoff teams too

Fall out would include:

• Overpaid veterans like Winston, Brisset, Fitzpatrick, Keenum etc
  • HOU could in theory ask for ALL the picks ever, and some GM's daughters. (mileage may vary) 
  • An appetite for reclamation projects like Darnold, Haskins, Trubisky, Goff even, Wentz maybe too
  • value of the NYJ and MIA picks at #2 and #3 become more priceless than that bitch Da Vinci painted 

Thoughts on how the jets leverage all that?

DuckTales-Scrooge-McDuck.jpg

What's your Baylor association?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

I know you’re wondering what I would do....

Because of the reason @Lith and @redlichtie mentioned (may not be able to afford “waiting”) I think you have to take a real extra long look at drafting a QB at 2. In theory Darnold’s value will never higher and thus if want to trade him - nows the time. Maybe we trade out of 23 to a team that has to reach on Mac Jones. 

alternatively, if you want to leverage that need in trading out of #2, you’re gambling on Darnold reinventing himself. Gonna be joining a fray of teams next year tho if it doesn’t work out. The draft haul of trading back twice will be huge. 

Good post, there’s another way to look at this with regard to the bolded. If anything I’d argue his stock is pretty low coming off this year, what do we realistically get for him today?....a 3rd?....I’ve heard some more optimistically saying we get a 2nd and 4th....let’s go glass half full and say we get a 2nd and 5th. I’d probably take that in a heartbeat but only on the basis we draft a QB in either Rd 1 or 2. That brings guys like Trask or Mac Jones into consideration.

your theory that Darnold’s value will never be higher doesn’t take into account another scenario which I haven’t seen many people consider. We retain Sam and STILL draft his replacement......hear me out

If we believe that eitherLawrence or Fields is THE guy then you draft him at 2....no questions asked. I personally think Wilson is the guy, I think he might be the best QB of the bunch but I do want to see how he looks at the combine. If he checks in at 6-3 or even 6-2 and close enough to 220 then any questions about his size are erased....then it’s about how the shoulder checks out. If the shoulder is not considered a worry then I have no reason why he doesn’t enter the equation in the top 10....maybe even top 5.
There are a couple of legit questions for Wilson to answer but if he does, he’s going high.

So we have 3 QB’s, unlikely but not impossible they go 1,2,3,...then you have Trey Lance who I’ve seen mocked in a couple of instances in the top 10. There’s a lot of draft process still to go and between now and April there will be some big changes to the conventional narrative....all of that already complex evaluation process complicated further by Covid and the myriad reasons why that makes this draft even harder to evaluate than ever. 

So possibly 4 QB’s in the top 10 means we can still trade back for a very significant haul, get our QB of the future and crucially, by retaining Darnold, there’s no pressure on the new QB to start at all in year 1(Mahomes sat all of year 1 apart from the final game, IMO that has to help in the development of a young QB).

Instead of throwing a rookie in to be the guy from day 1 we let Darnold, White and Morgan compete under our new OC. If as expected Darnold starts and by some miracle we look good or better than expected under Saleh & LaFleur then Sams value goes up. It’s not beyond the realms of incredulity to believe a 2nd and a 5th becomes a 2 and a 3 or two 2’s or maybe, in the case of an extraordinary turnaround a 1st round pick. 

There’s a lot of wishful thinking here but what do we have to lose in that scenario? I don’t see us picking up Darnolds year 5 option anyway so he’s on a 1 year prove it deal....he wouldn’t be the first player to have a big contract year, hell even a modest year ramps up his value . If he does the problem he presents is a good one. We could franchise him for presumably not much more than the year 5 option and, as we’ve already discussed, with so many teams setting up to be QB needy he attracts a lot of interest. He’d be a 24 year old starting QB with significant value on the open market. And we have the cap space to absorb a QB franchise tag.

If, as is more likely, Sam is neither here nor there under LaFleur, if he misses his usual 3 games and flatters to deceive he likely still gets picked up as a FA and returns us a decent compensatory draft pick. If he absolutely sucks after 5 or 8 games and the rookie is ready to go then the new era begins in a low pressure, low expectation environment. 

I guess it all depends on whether we get a 3rd for Sam if he leaves after year 4 as a FA or whether you rather take a 2nd and 5th for him now while you can get it.

so perhaps we retainSam in the hope a new coach and system kick starts his career enough to ramp up his value to a point to make him a significant asset while all the while our QB of the future is waiting in the wings.....to me, that’s a win-win situation.

of course there’s always the risk Sam suddenly has a career year, leading us to a 10-6 season and divisional title with 3.5K passing yards 25 TD and only 13 INTS and this time next year we are all arguing over how stupid it was not to pick up his 5th year option and now we can’t lock him up to a long term deal but even in my perfect la-la land I’m pretty sure that isn’t going to be a problem we have to deal with ?

Anyway, it’s an option ...and I didn’t once mention you know who!!!

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Good post, there’s another way to look at this with regard to the bolded. If anything I’d argue his stock is pretty low coming off this year, what do we realistically get for him today?....a 3rd?....I’ve heard some more optimistically saying we get a 2nd and 4th....let’s go glass half full and say we get a 2nd and 5th. I’d probably take that in a heartbeat but only on the basis we draft a QB in either Rd 1 or 2. That brings guys like Trask or Mac Jones into consideration.

your theory that Darnold’s value will never be higher doesn’t take into account another scenario which I haven’t seen many people consider. We retain Sam and STILL draft his replacement......hear me out

If we believe that eitherLawrence or Fields is THE guy then you draft him at 2....no questions asked. I personally think Wilson is the guy, I think he might be the best QB of the bunch but I do want to see how he looks at the combine. If he checks in at 6-3 or even 6-2 and close enough to 220 then any questions about his size are erased....then it’s about how the shoulder checks out. If the shoulder is not considered a worry then I have no reason why he doesn’t enter the equation in the top 10....maybe even top 5.
There are a couple of legit questions for Wilson to answer but if he does, he’s going high.

So we have 3 QB’s, unlikely but not impossible they go 1,2,3,...then you have Trey Lance who I’ve seen mocked in a couple of instances in the top 10. There’s a lot of draft process still to go and between now and April there will be some big changes to the conventional narrative....all of that already complex evaluation process complicated further by Covid and the myriad reasons why that makes this draft even harder to evaluate than ever. 

So possibly 4 QB’s in the top 10 means we can still trade back for a very significant haul, get our QB of the future and crucially, by retaining Darnold, there’s no pressure on the new QB to start at all in year 1(Mahomes sat all of year 1 apart from the final game, IMO that has to help in the development of a young QB).

Instead of throwing a rookie in to be the guy from day 1 we let Darnold, White and Morgan compete under our new OC. If as expected Darnold starts and by some miracle we look good or better than expected under Saleh & LaFleur then Sams value goes up. It’s not beyond the realms of incredulity to believe a 2nd and a 5th becomes a 2 and a 3 or two 2’s or maybe, in the case of an extraordinary turnaround a 1st round pick. 

There’s a lot of wishful thinking here but what do we have to lose in that scenario? I don’t see us picking up Darnolds year 5 option anyway so he’s on a 1 year prove it deal....he wouldn’t be the first player to have a big contract year, hell even a modest year ramps up his value . If he does the problem he presents is a good one. We could franchise him for presumably not much more than the year 5 option and, as we’ve already discussed, with so many teams setting up to be QB needy he attracts a lot of interest. He’d be a 24 year old starting QB with significant value on the open market. And we have the cap space to absorb a QB franchise tag.

If, as is more likely, Sam is neither here nor there under LaFleur, if he misses his usual 3 games and flatters to deceive he likely still gets picked up as a FA and returns us a decent compensatory draft pick. If he absolutely sucks after 5 or 8 games and the rookie is ready to go then the new era begins in a low pressure, low expectation environment. 

I guess it all depends on whether we get a 3rd for Sam if he leaves after year 4 as a FA or whether you rather take a 2nd and 5th for him now while you can get it.

so perhaps we retainSam in the hope a new coach and system kick starts his career enough to ramp up his value to a point to make him a significant asset while all the while our QB of the future is waiting in the wings.....to me, that’s a win-win situation.

of course there’s always the risk Sam suddenly has a career year, leading us to a 10-6 season and divisional title with 3.5K passing yards 25 TD and only 13 INTS and this time next year we are all arguing over how stupid it was not to pick up his 5th year option and now we can’t lock him up to a long term deal but even in my perfect la-la land I’m pretty sure that isn’t going to be a problem we have to deal with ?

Anyway, it’s an option ...and I didn’t once mention you know who!!!

lol, your restraint is noted. 

reactionary thoughts--

• Agree w/ the benefits of Drafting Fields/Wilson & hanging on to Sam for a year... it's not like we NEED those extra 3rd round picks this year, we've already got a few. I don't know what the aversion is to having Sam compete in camp and potentially man the ship while acclimating a rookie. the "negatives" are almost non-existent. If a team offered a pick in the 33-50th area i would change my answer maybe. If you keep Sam and he plays great - that's a good problem to have. Also if he plays so so - and you want to start Fields in Oct - you can still flip Sam before the trade deadline. 
  • there's no combine this year - so will have to rely on prodays for your Wilson eval
  • As much as some Jet fans are "over" Sam Darnold, it's not like there won't be ANY options if we have to push the QB search to 2022... It's definitely a gamble given we have #2 right now ....but if you trade out of #2, we're going to have the capital next year to circle back... it will likely make the whole trade back scenario a wash if we have to give up 2-3 picks to get that QB but the upside if we don't have to is we have lots of good players through the draft.

ALSO here's my "I'm a draft geek and trust my player evals" option #3.5....

• If you're only 75% sure Fields/Wilson can be THE guy... well I'm confident enough that Mac Jones has high floor. He may never be more than Andy Dalton, but he may wind up being more. Mac Jones in 2000 goes top 10, easily. He plays with anticipation, and savvy vision. Arm strength isn't great, but neither was Burrow's.
  • My point being that you may not get a Lawrence world beater in Jones, but If you're NOT TOTALLY  SOLD on Fields/Wilson - don't take one out of perceived pressure. Trade back. Take Pitts. Take Jones later.  At least with Jones you know you have at worst, a serviceable starter that doesn't force your hand next offseason.
  • In addition you'll be able to totally restock the roster over 2021/2022 and use Jones to gauge how close you are. 
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

lol, your restraint is noted. 

reactionary thoughts--

• Agree w/ the benefits of Drafting Fields/Wilson & hanging on to Sam for a year... it's not like we NEED those extra 3rd round picks this year, we've already got a few. I don't know what the aversion is to having Sam compete in camp and potentially man the ship while acclimating a rookie. the "negatives" are almost non-existent. If a team offered a pick in the 33-50th area i would change my answer maybe. If you keep Sam and he plays great - that's a good problem to have. Also if he plays so so - and you want to start Fields in Oct - you can still flip Sam before the trade deadline. 
  • there's no combine this year - so will have to rely on prodays for your Wilson eval
  • As much as some Jet fans are "over" Sam Darnold, it's not like there won't be ANY options if we have to push the QB search to 2022... It's definitely a gamble given we have #2 right now ....but if you trade out of #2, we're going to have the capital next year to circle back... it will likely make the whole trade back scenario a wash if we have to give up 2-3 picks to get that QB but the upside if we don't have to is we have lots of good players through the draft.

ALSO here's my "I'm a draft geek and trust my player evals" option #3.5....

• If you're only 75% sure Fields/Wilson can be THE guy... well I'm confident enough that Mac Jones has high floor. He may never be more than Andy Dalton, but he may wind up being more. Mac Jones in 2000 goes top 10, easily. He plays with anticipation, and savvy vision. Arm strength isn't great, but neither was Burrow's.
  • My point being that you may not get a Lawrence world beater in Jones, but If you're NOT TOTALLY  SOLD on Fields/Wilson - don't take one out of perceived pressure. Trade back. Take Pitts. Take Jones later.  At least with Jones you know you have at worst, a serviceable starter that doesn't force your hand next offseason.
  • In addition you'll be able to totally restock the roster over 2021/2022 and use Jones to gauge how close you are. 

Totally agree with all of it, interested to note that you are high on Mac Jones too, he passes the eyeball test for me in terms of those fundamental technical skills.

There’s this modern day thinking that the perfect QB prospect has to be Uber-mobile as well as have the big arm and rack up the big numbers in college (usually in RPO offense with minimal reads that inflate passing numbers)but that just means the old school pro-style passer, the statue like Brady, Rivers or Matt Ryan gets increasingly overlooked. Those guys may lack mobility but they posses the innate skills of reading a defense, going through progressions, getting the ball out quickly and throwing WR’s open....those remain the critical skills for a QB and Jones appears to have them. I doubt it would go down well with the fan base but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jones translate to the NFL very favourably.

I’m also with you on your TE crush this year.....Pitts is special, but I didn’t think he’s really a TE...if there is a combine and he runs well then he’s a Julio Jones level prospect.

on the subject of combine, surely there will be in some form?.....with the evaluation process so out of whack already, how do you gauge guys like Sewell and Chase that haven’t played in a year? I have to believe a series of bubbled events for the different positional groups can be arranged?

• Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

on the subject of combine, surely there will be in some form?.....with the evaluation process so out of whack already, how do you gauge guys like Sewell and Chase that haven’t played in a year? I have to believe a series of bubbled events for the different positional groups can be arranged?

The WR question is so interesting.  Chase was the absolute boss on LSU last year even with Justin Jefferson on the team (and we saw what he did this year).  I guess the year off doesn't bother me as much as it does some.  Lots of guys have taken an involuntary year off because of injury, and come back just as good.  I don't see this as any different.  Give me Chase all day every day over Smith because I think those 30 lbs. of extra body weight matter.

• Upvote 2

Good reads @redlichtie & @Paradis.

I agree with both of you about Mac Jones - he might not have prototypical athleticism for todays NFL, but he reads the field, makes good decisions, delivers accurately and by all accounts has good leadership qualities/intelligence. 

What do you two think about Kyle Trask? I noticed he was mentioned but without elaboration. He's got an underdog history and I like his accuracy/decision making. He's 6-5 240 as well. His arm strength seems meh, but he's not a round 1 prospect, correct?

And as was said, we could keep Darnold for a year and let Trask sit and learn the offense. If Darnold has a redemption year, great, Trask is insurance or a trade opportunity in the future. If Darnold flops, we've got someone in the pipeline that has been learning the system.

That said, I'm aware the dude had Pitts and Toney to play with.

I'd like to hear what you two think about him.

• Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

AKA The James farrior draft 

quality over quantity 

You have to play the draft according to how talent is shaking out.  If a player is there that is far above everyone at 2 you take them.  If not acquire asset and fill more holes.  The jets have massive holes all over their roster,

5 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Totally agree with all of it, interested to note that you are high on Mac Jones too, he passes the eyeball test for me in terms of those fundamental technical skills.

There’s this modern day thinking that the perfect QB prospect has to be Uber-mobile as well as have the big arm and rack up the big numbers in college (usually in RPO offense with minimal reads that inflate passing numbers)but that just means the old school pro-style passer, the statue like Brady, Rivers or Matt Ryan gets increasingly overlooked. Those guys may lack mobility but they posses the innate skills of reading a defense, going through progressions, getting the ball out quickly and throwing WR’s open....those remain the critical skills for a QB and Jones appears to have them. I doubt it would go down well with the fan base but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jones translate to the NFL very favourably.

I’m also with you on your TE crush this year.....Pitts is special, but I didn’t think he’s really a TE...if there is a combine and he runs well then he’s a Julio Jones level prospect.

Thanks.

While GMs aren't immune to FOMO (fear of missing out) I don't think they're as whimsical and temperamental as fans. They understand there isn't 1 recipe to winning a SuperBowl... (I hope).  Of course if given the option of drafting a top 5 QB like Mahomes, Rodgers (or dare I say Allen??)... they would say YES!.... but it's not the only way. 

• I really think an unsustainable model of success was set up by Brady/Manning/Rodgers etc.. Offenses/penalties all that changed the landscape and NFL now caters to their all stars -- but with that *has now* come preposterous contracts. Franchise crippling contracts.... Look at PHI! They're fcked. it's over. 
  • The natural correction will come with balanced Olines/defenses etc, and having to win on the shoulders of Garrapolos. Mac Jones. Flaccos. Goff... whatever you gotta do to get to the SB...

Anyway, i'm getting a little preachy and too macro level with this conversation...

My point is simply; Not every road to a championship has to come from some super-athletic, or universal soldier QB. Alabama smoked Lawrence with Mac Jones... (yea yea) but for real. Guys like mac jones are super easily plug and play QBs...

"here, run this offense. Don't make mistakes. Take what they give you, and pick your spots."

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2021 at 10:58 PM, nycdan said:

The WR question is so interesting.  Chase was the absolute boss on LSU last year even with Justin Jefferson on the team (and we saw what he did this year).  I guess the year off doesn't bother me as much as it does some.  Lots of guys have taken an involuntary year off because of injury, and come back just as good.  I don't see this as any different.  Give me Chase all day every day over Smith because I think those 30 lbs. of extra body weight matter.

Good post, I’m wary of taking any player who opted out of the season at No 2 overall but maybe that’s just me. I would also add I’d be hyper wary of taking a guy that high if he’s missed a year with injury, I can’t think of many 2nd overall picks that had only the 1 year of production but there are probably examples....actually Burrow at No1 last year would qualify, so yes there is precedent.

I think it’s because I like to see at least 2 years of quality production in any player that we are investing such a high draft pick, just to prove it wasn’t a one-off or that there’s ability to produce to a consistently high level over a number of seasons. 

I would concede however that this year is very different so the normal rules might not apply and all bets are off ....there’s clearly a lot of support for Sewell here but if I was forced to go with a 2020 opt out then I’m going Chase or even Rousseau. 

In a perfect scenario we drop back to the 5 or 8 range and take Wilson or Kyle Pitts....I think @Paradis might spontaneously combust in that Pitts scenario but it’s a price I’m willing to pay ?

On 1/21/2021 at 11:14 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

Good reads @redlichtie & @Paradis.

I agree with both of you about Mac Jones - he might not have prototypical athleticism for todays NFL, but he reads the field, makes good decisions, delivers accurately and by all accounts has good leadership qualities/intelligence. 

What do you two think about Kyle Trask? I noticed he was mentioned but without elaboration. He's got an underdog history and I like his accuracy/decision making. He's 6-5 240 as well. His arm strength seems meh, but he's not a round 1 prospect, correct?

And as was said, we could keep Darnold for a year and let Trask sit and learn the offense. If Darnold has a redemption year, great, Trask is insurance or a trade opportunity in the future. If Darnold flops, we've got someone in the pipeline that has been learning the system.

That said, I'm aware the dude had Pitts and Toney to play with.

I'd like to hear what you two think about him.

Thank you kind sir, and appreciate the shout out.

i can’t even begin to pretend I am an expert on QB’s or the draft in general and I would defer to any number of smart and knowledgable draft or college guys on here and in the draft forum, too many to mention, but @Paradis would certainly be one of them.

Over the next few weeks I’ll dive into draft prospects more and more and, like most people here, I’ll form my opinions on who I really like and in who I just don’t get the hype about. Over the years I’ve learned to trust my own opinion but also accept that I’ll get it wrong too.....a lot

With that in mind and to your question on QB’s ......I really like Zach Wilson but the shoulder surgery and his size are legitimate questions that need to be answered. I’m just not convinced that Lawrence is the slam dunk he’s made out to be and Fields has really grown on me. While almost all the talk is of those guys and Trey Lance in the upper half of round 1 it’s well worth considering Mac Jones or Trask.

I agree with you & Paradis that Mac Jones looks the part. He just has so much of what you are looking for in a QB. Great poise, feet are good, appears to read defenses and go through progressions and his production was off the charts, almost Burrow level. The concern is he only has 1 year as a starter and he had an all-world supporting cast. He’s always throwing from a perfect pocket to incredible WR’s.....how tough is he?....how will he handle adversity?......legit questions but he’s definitely an option in late Rd 1 or Rd 2... I like him and I can see him being successful

As for Trask? ....I have to admit I’ve seen less of him. What I have seen I like but I need to see more, he certainly has great size and like Jones, the poise, accuracy and decision making appear sound. Played in a tough conference too but again, like Mac Jones, had a lot of talent around him. I wouldn’t say his arm strength is too much of a concern, Burrow wasn’t exactly a cannon arm coming out......His arm pears plenty good enough...he throws a pretty ball and shows some nice touch too, dropping some lovely deep passes over coverage into Toney & Pitts this year....he’s definitely intruiging for sure.

I’m totally onboard with your theory of drafting a Jones or Trask if we are indeed rolling with Darnold again in 2021. It makes sense from an insurance POV and another young QB with talent is a saleable asset in future. It a;so assumes we’ve added even greater draft capital with a trade back from No 2. I guess we need to factor in whereJames Morgan sits in all of this too?.....

I’d listen to guys like @JiF @Lith and @RobR for greater thoughts on Trask(and Jones) and am sure across in the draft forum there’s good chatter about those guys already ongoing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Thank you kind sir, and appreciate the shout out.

i can’t even begin to pretend I am an expert on QB’s or the draft in general and I would defer to any number of smart and knowledgable draft or college guys on here and in the draft forum, too many to mention, but @Paradis would certainly be one of them.

Over the next few weeks I’ll dive into draft prospects more and more and, like most people here, I’ll form my opinions on who I really like and in who I just don’t get the hype about. Over the years I’ve learned to trust my own opinion but also accept that I’ll get it wrong too.....a lot

With that in mind and to your question on QB’s ......I really like Zach Wilson but the shoulder surgery and his size are legitimate questions that need to be answered. I’m just not convinced that Lawrence is the slam dunk he’s made out to be and Fields has really grown on me. While almost all the talk is of those guys and Trey Lance in the upper half of round 1 it’s well worth considering Mac Jones or Trask.

I agree with you & Paradis that Mac Jones looks the part. He just has so much of what you are looking for in a QB. Great poise, feet are good, appears to read defenses and go through progressions and his production was off the charts, almost Burrow level. The concern is he only has 1 year as a starter and he had an all-world supporting cast. He’s always throwing from a perfect pocket to incredible WR’s.....how tough is he?....how will he handle adversity?......legit questions but he’s definitely an option in late Rd 1 or Rd 2... I like him and I can see him being successful

As for Trask? ....I have to admit I’ve seen less of him. What I have seen I like but I need to see more, he certainly has great size and like Jones, the poise, accuracy and decision making appear sound. Played in a tough conference too but again, like Mac Jones, had a lot of talent around him. I wouldn’t say his arm strength is too much of a concern, Burrow wasn’t exactly a cannon arm coming out......His arm pears plenty good enough...he throws a pretty ball and shows some nice touch too, dropping some lovely deep passes over coverage into Toney & Pitts this year....he’s definitely intruiging for sure.

I’m totally onboard with your theory of drafting a Jones or Trask if we are indeed rolling with Darnold again in 2021. It makes sense from an insurance POV and another young QB with talent is a saleable asset in future. It a;so assumes we’ve added even greater draft capital with a trade back from No 2. I guess we need to factor in whereJames Morgan sits in all of this too?.....

I’d listen to guys like @JiF @Lith and @RobR for greater thoughts on Trask(and Jones) and am sure across in the draft forum there’s good chatter about those guys already ongoing.

My two cents.  We have the #2 pick.  Either we like someone enough to take at 2, or we don't take a QB at all in R1.   There is no way that I am settling for the 4th, 5th or 6th best prospect in the draft when I have the #2 overall pick.

I do not want any part of Jones or Trask, unless one of them falls to R3.  I see both as longshots.  Trask is a longer shot than Jones, but I am not taking either at 23.  Look at all of the successful young QBs to come into the league in the last few years.  Murray, Allen, Herbert, Mayfield, Jakcson, Mahomes, Watson.  They are all mobile.  Not all of them are threats to run, but they have ability to extend plays, get out of the pocket and make plays off script.  I don't see Jones or Trask having that skill set.

They are traditional pocket passers, who are very hard to project to next levvel.  I think Jones is the better prospect of the two.  But he has had clean pockets  and huge windows while throwing to NFL caliber WRs who have been covered by guys who will be working at Wal-Mart next year.  I have no idea how he will transition to the NFL.  Maybe he will be great, but maybe he will be lost as he faces a pass rush and tight windows.  Neither guy is a gamble I am willing to take.

If it is my decision, I still prefer Fields at 2.  Would be happy with Wilson based on fit in the Shanahan offense.  But I certainly would explore the option of bringing in Deshaun Watson.  One thing I do not want is to go into 2022 offseason thinking we still need to find a QB.

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Lith said:

My two cents.  We have the #2 pick.  Either we like someone enough to take at 2, or we don't take a QB at all in R1.   There is no way that I am settling for the 4th, 5th or 6th best prospect in the draft when I have the #2 overall pick.

I do not want any part of Jones or Trask, unless one of them falls to R3.  I see both as longshots.  Trask is a longer shot than Jones, but I am not taking either at 23.  Look at all of the successful young QBs to come into the league in the last few years.  Murray, Allen, Herbert, Mayfield, Jakcson, Mahomes, Watson.  They are all mobile.  Not all of them are threats to run, but they have ability to extend plays, get out of the pocket and make plays off script.  I don't see Jones or Trask having that skill set.

They are traditional pocket passers, who are very hard to project to next levvel.  I think Jones is the better prospect of the two.  But he has had clean pockets  and huge windows while throwing to NFL caliber WRs who have been covered by guys who will be working at Wal-Mart next year.  I have no idea how he will transition to the NFL.  Maybe he will be great, but maybe he will be lost as he faces a pass rush and tight windows.  Neither guy is a gamble I am willing to take.

If it is my decision, I still prefer Fields at 2.  Would be happy with Wilson based on fit in the Shanahan offense.  But I certainly would explore the option of bringing in Deshaun Watson.  One thing I do not want is to go into 2022 offseason thinking we still need to find a QB.

While I clearly like Jones a bit more than you do I don’t disagree with your logic here at all especially with regard to the bolded. Jones in the 3rd would be a very good value pick up for sure but I really hope we have our guy already by that point.
I guess my point about going Jones or Trask is really dependent on how set JD and Saleh are on rolling with Sam, which we can only speculate at this point. 

• Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

While I clearly like Jones a bit more than you do I don’t disagree with your logic here at all especially with regard to the bolded. Jones in the 3rd would be a very good value pick up for sure but I really hope we have our guy already by that point.
I guess my point about going Jones or Trask is really dependent on how set JD and Saleh are on rolling with Sam, which we can only speculate at this point. 

I hear ya.  But if I am rolling with Sam for another year, then I would rather bring in a 20-something year old veteran to compete with him.  Winston, Mariota, Beathard, Brisset.  Someone young enough so that if either guy (Darnold or other vet) figures it out, we could have our QB for the future.

• Upvote 1