A look at a few posts from the Texans board

Jetsfan80

13 minutes ago, slats said:

This is where I’m at. If Watson wants to come here that much, and Joe Douglas can drive a hard (lowball) bargain to get it done, then by all means, he should go for it.

But I don’t want him mortgaging everything for just one player, even this one. I don’t think that was Douglas and Saleh’s plan, either. If they discussed Watson in their interviews, it was hypothetical at best. And they probably didn’t. What they did talk about was all the draft picks and cap room the Jets have this year. Will they change course and give up a massive chunk of all those assets just for Watson?

I continue to think they won’t. 

What price are you comfortable with?

The #2, a first next year and a first in 2023. That's my max. It's a lot. But it only leaves us without a first rounder for one year (2023). 

Do you consider that mortgaging everything?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If I were a Houston fan I'd be a little pissed off at the way he is acting. Obviously I love it though, cause I want him on the Jets. But Watson is kinda acting immature about this. 

I agree..................... but did you read the SI article on the Texans, that changed my mind completely and let me know why he wants to get the heck outta there!!

Let's Go Jets!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

What price are you comfortable with?

The #2, a first next year and a first in 2023. That's my max. It's a lot. But it only leaves us without a first rounder for one year (2023). 

Do you consider that mortgaging everything?

Along with $35M/year? Yeah, just about. They won’t be able to get away with giving up “just” the #2 for this year, though. Cost -at the very least- the second rounder. 

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't understand why you're concerned with his salary?

FQB's have a cost, and we're in very comfortable cap shape.

I get that we're all being speculative... but what I'm asking you is:

You're the GM, if you were on the phone with the Texans today, what would be your final offer?

Good question, I don’t know. 

Good news is that no trades can be done until the start of the new league year, anyway, so I have plenty of time to think about it. The salary is a huge deal because it would represent about  18% of your total cap. That’s a LOT for a QB who just had a fantastic statistical season while his team went 4-12. Do I wanna blow two of my first three picks along with $15M in cap this year, $35M in cap and first rounders the next two years for that guy? 

Yeah, I don’t know. I don’t think so right now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Good news is that no trades can be done until the start of the new league year, anyway, so I have plenty of time to think about it. The salary is a huge deal because it would represent about  18% of your total cap. That’s a LOT for a QB who just had a fantastic statistical season while his team went 4-12. Do I wanna blow two of my first three picks along with $15M in cap this year, $35M in cap and first rounders the next two years for that guy? 

One thing to consider: how bad would the Texans have been had he not been so good? Probably so bad they would have been picking first in this draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

One thing to consider: how bad would the Texans have been had he not been so good? Probably so bad they would have been picking first in this draft.

Ummm...no.  So bad that the Dolphins would be picking first in this draft.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slats said:

If you’re having concerns about cap management, I know of an excellent NFL fiscal mind who recently came available this week. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, slats said:

For about 8 million less we can get a Jimmy G type talent and spend the remainder a serviceable corner.

I’ll take the superstar qb

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Jets Fans: Sam Darnold is a 100% lock to be a franchise QB for the next 15 years. You have to have one in the league today!

Jets Fans: Why can't we ever find that 15 year franchise QB?!! 

Jets Fans: I don't want to spend 3 1sts on him. I'd rather take a ~60% chance on each of those 1sts to turning into a solid, but not superstar starter. 

But we might miss out on this generations Vernon Golston, Dewayne Robertson, Quinton Coples, Mohammed Wilkerson, Santana Moss, Kyle Wilson, Calvin Pryor...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Trades can be done now.  See Smith, Alex.