A look at a few posts from the Texans board

Jetsfan80

No trade for Watson should start with this years #2... I start with both Seattle #1's and go from there. that would be much more palpable for most of us. Those who want him and those who don't think we should give away the farm. If like some posters say that we are in the drivers seat, then add something to Seattle's 2 1st's and stand pat.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is almost certain to be the case.

There's very little chance a 25 year old, top 5 NFL QB ends up on the Jets - things like that just don't happen here.

With that said, it's still fun to talk about.  This was going to be a very slow month around here.  Not the case now.

I"m trying not to get excited about the thought of it, but it's hard to do...

Like waiting for Ashton Kutcher to Jump out and scream,” You been punked!”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

I'm going with two #1's, a Sam Darnold and a 3rd Bob. 

Bob-Barker-the-Price-Is-Right-Photos.jpg

Bob:  By golly Wonderboy  'The price is right'.

This is funny Bob.  On many levels.  You may be right, or not.  Really wish the Macc Coffee had made this easier by just drafting him when he had the chance.  I don't disagree that JD makes this kind of deal just think the haggling may take a while and Houston may just hire Bieniemy  and make the whole point moot.  I also have a general distrust of agents and the way the talking heads play the Jets in the media to better position their client.  Won't be disappointed if it happens this way (price is right) but I'm doubtful till it happens. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Remember when Carmelo Anthony forced his way from the Denver Nuggets to the New York Knicks? The then GM Donnie Walsh didn't want to pay the exorbitant price tag, but owner James Dolan wasn't going to be denied, so he made it happen. Could anyone see JD balking at the Texans price tag, then Woody steps in and tells him to include the extra pick(s) to get Deshaun Watson in a Jets uniform? Gotta sell tickets and energize the fan base. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

There's very little chance a 25 year old, top 5 NFL QB ends up on the Jets - things like that just don't happen here.

Things like this dont happen anywhere.  Teams dont screw up with 25 year old FQBs, just doesn't normally happen.  If they cant fix things between themselves and Watson and have to move him, we're a prime player in we have the need, the assets and the cap space.   

• Upvote 1

i believe the #2 pick this year, a #1 pick in 2021, and a #1 pick in 2022 will be the minimum that can possibly get this done

(whether our picks or Seattle's in 2021 & 2022 are debatable)

If JD is able to make it happen for those terms then I am ecstatic 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

This is funny Bob.  On many levels.  You may be right, or not.  Really wish the Macc Coffee had made this easier by just drafting him when he had the chance.  I don't disagree that JD makes this kind of deal just think the haggling may take a while and Houston may just hire Bieniemy  and make the whole point moot.  I also have a general distrust of agents and the way the talking heads play the Jets in the media to better position their client.  Won't be disappointed if it happens this way (price is right) but I'm doubtful till it happens. 

Its January 20th. April, draft day, not to far off.  They don't have forever to make a decision as to whether they keep Darnold, trade him or go after Watson, or roll with Fields.  Curious what everyone thinks will be the deadline regarding the QB position will be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Things like this dont happen anywhere.  Teams dont screw up with 25 year old FQBs, just doesn't normally happen.  If they cant fix things between themselves and Watson and have to move him, we're a prime player in we have the need, the assets and the cap space.   

We're in no position to surrender our assets. We would truly be asses to do so.

9 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I'm torn.  We can easily make the argument that to pass on a ready made, proven FQB would truly make us asses. No matter what those assets bring back, if one of them isnt a FQB youre screwed, youre not winning with out one.

14 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

They won't be getting QW. The Texans are sellers and they need to get what they can. The Jets have multiple firsts one of which being the #2 overall this year. The Jets have leverage if DW wants the Jets. The Jets will make a reasonable offer not a blockbuster offer. Three 1's at worst when you have 5 in the next three years isn't bad at all for a legit franchise QB that is only 25 years old. The money can be manipulated to make it work.

Three first round picks is a blockbuster.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you’re the new head coach of a team with no viable QB and your GM walks into your office and says “Hey, would you like Deshaun Watson on your roster tomorrow?” you’re likely screaming “F**K YESSSSSSS” before he even gets to the “-tson on your” part

This is what happens here. People convince themselves the price will be too high before even considering the merits. They usually greatly overestimate the price and of course fail to consider opportunity cost and bust-factor of those magic bean lotto picks. Similar thing happened with Robby ("he's not worth $18M per!") and now Watson. It's back asswards.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Deals can be agreed upon now, but until the paperwork is officially filed (in mid-March, in this case), anything can happen.  See Barr, Anthony.

I forgot about that scvmbag Barr.  So many newer villains to hate.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

No trade for Watson should start with this years #2... I start with both Seattle #1's and go from there. that would be much more palpable for most of us. Those who want him and those who don't think we should give away the farm. If like some posters say that we are in the drivers seat, then add something to Seattle's 2 1st's and stand pat.

The reason we are "in the driver's seat" is because we have the most draft assets available to bid with. Being in the driver's seat does not mean you can underbid and win.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm torn.  We can easily make the argument that to pass on a ready made, proven FQB would truly make us asses. No matter what those assets bring back, if one of them isnt a FQB youre screwed, youre not winning with out one.

There’s been a number of FQB’s that have never won a SB let alone even been to one. It takes more than eggs and milk to make a cake. I had Chinese food today - that was the fortune cookie ? 

4 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Yet you're willing to trade four 1st round picks + for one guy?  Are you delusional?

i dont think anyone here WANTS to give them four #1s. just some of us like me think thats what its going to take. 

or more likely three #1s and a couple of 2s

and if history has shown us anything about these type of blockbuster trades, players are usually involved. problem with us is we have nobody but Becton, QW, and maybe Mims that anyone would want. teams that make these trades are usually that one player away from a championship or two. they have a good roster and can afford to send back a decent player or 2. we can not.

i wish we could get him for the 2 seattle picks and a couple of 2nd rd picks, but i think houston hangs up the phone on JD. 

8 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I mean.... how are you selling this to Houston? We'll keep our Top pick, have your QB, and you can have #22 and Sam? 

Adams is a Safety, it's not as valuable as a potential FQB. We all agree if we're getting DW, then we're having to give up #2 so that they can go claim a QB. Infact, i'd be astonished if we're not giving up Darnold, a minimum of 2 1st's (including #2) and more. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

There’s been a number of FQB’s that have never won a SB let alone even been to one. It takes more than eggs and milk to make a cake. I had Chinese food today - that was the fortune cookie ? 

That some havent made it to a SB isnt a reason to not do all you can to get a FQB.   While theres the possibility that they wont make it, theres almost no chance you make it without them.  

There is no other position that you can say that about

5 hours ago, DJF71 said:

If you don't put talent around Watson, we can expect a 4 win season. This team needs draft picks as much as it needs an elite QB.

We need to keep that 2 pick and the 33 pick.  Jets could draft Sewell and Etienne or Harris and have a fantastic running game that would set up Watson for success

1 hour ago, ScouserJet said:

I mean.... how are you selling this to Houston? We'll keep our Top pick, have your QB, and you can have #22 and Sam? 

Adams is a Safety, it's not as valuable as a potential FQB. We all agree if we're getting DW, then we're having to give up #2 so that they can go claim a QB. Infact, i'd be astonished if we're not giving up Darnold, a minimum of 2 1st's (including #2) and more. 

Watson has a no trade clause 

Offer both Seattle first round picks, Sam and even throw in a couple bs mid round picks

Jets have all the leverage 

8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Its January 20th. April, draft day, not to far off.  They don't have forever to make a decision as to whether they keep Darnold, trade him or go after Watson, or roll with Fields.  Curious what everyone thinks will be the deadline regarding the QB position will be.

What if we make this deal on 1 Mar for a similar package as you propose then Urban Meyer decides to draft Fields.  Still happy?  Deals like this require a fair amount of processing unless the ownership decides and just tells JD to make the deal at any cost.

14 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

What if we make this deal on 1 Mar for a similar package as you propose then Urban Meyer decides to draft Fields.  Still happy?  Deals like this require a fair amount of processing unless the ownership decides and just tells JD to make the deal at any cost.

I don’t think they would have a problem with Trevor Lawrence. 

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I know that is a small sample but I am surprised how willing they are to move on. 

Haven’t seen any “screw him if you don’t wanna be here!” posts. AKA the Jets fan go-to self-soothing response.

8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

“Surrenders” implies giving up. You’d be getting something in return, you know.