Could the Jets be the NFL's first NBA rebuild?

Shockwave

7 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

When your in the NBA and you want to make a super-team what do you do? 

1-You get rid of your bad contracts.

2-You get the most salary cap. 

3-You get extra draft capital. 

You're basically building your resources and right now NO ONE in the NFL has done this better than the Jets - Thank you Joe Douglas. We have around the most cap space with another 20m easily coming off the books. We have the most picks including next year and we have maybe one bad contract on the team?

Could be this an NBA style rebuild coming your way? If Deshaun Watson comes here I think it's the first time you see it in the NFL. 

Why?

1- 100% if Deshaun is going to need some sort of Handshake agreement with the Jets that they will attempt to win this year. He's not passing on a Dolphins team ready to go to the playoffs to go 4-12 here next year. So if we get him I will bet any of you we are going to be active. 

2-Deshaun only counts 10m against the cap this year. 

3- The Jets can easily clear 20m. That alone will pay Deshaun AND resigning Marcus Maye. 

4- With a Whooping 70m left and so many teams without money your going to see alot of cuts this year in the NFL. There will be more players then ever available to us. 

5 - We literally have no one to pay until after next year.

6- Free agents are already mentioning our name. Allen Robinson? Richard Sherman? Have FA's ever mentioned our name like this?

7- There will be a Deshaun Watson effect of players that will want to play with him. Like worst case Will Fuller will come affordable and put up stud numbers. JJ Watt may follow him. This could be an NBA style rebuild. 

Will Joe Douglas go for this? The initial thought is no right? Well the question then is who are we going to pay? Draft picks can't get paid for 3 years. Quinnen can't get paid until 2022. Becton can't get paid until after 2023 but likely it will be 2024. If we were to sign Allen Robinson for example the guaranteed money in his deal will be gone by then anyway. 

Not only could this be a NBA rebuild but it could be successful long term as well. By the time the Allen Robinson's contract's are cuttable the draft picks we make in 2021 and 2022 then get paid. 

All these players are friends. They talk and talk will be lets all join up on Saleh's team in NY this year. They have enough money for all of us. 

Colts?  I love this post, we are not the first team but we need to make this move 100%

57 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

In point #33, why are we clearing $20 mil to pay DW?

This offseason the Jets could easily clear these contracts:

Henry Anderson 8.2m

Alex Lewis 5.3m

George Fant 7.4m 

We don't need to clear these salaries but can if need be. I would think Anderson and Lewis are automatic which should add 12.5m 

Note: Our Cap space for 2022 is 135m which is just borderline ridiculous. The team could do anything they want. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

This offseason the Jets could easily clear these contracts:

Henry Anderson 8.2m

Alex Lewis 5.3m

George Fant 7.4m 

We don't need to clear these salaries but can if need be. I would think Anderson and Lewis are automatic which should add 12.5m 

Note: Our Cap space for 2022 is 135m which is just borderline ridiculous. The team could do anything they want. 

WHY are we clearing money for DW? He’s already signed to a big contract. 

16 hours ago, Shockwave said:

You're basically building your resources and right now NO ONE in the NFL has done this better than the Jets - Thank you Joe Douglas. We have around the most cap space with another 20m easily coming off the books. We have the most picks including next year and we have maybe one bad contract on the team?

Could be this an NBA style rebuild coming your way? If Deshaun Watson comes here I think it's the first time you see it in the NFL. 

Why?

1- 100% if Deshaun is going to need some sort of Handshake agreement with the Jets that they will attempt to win this year. He's not passing on a Dolphins team ready to go to the playoffs to go 4-12 here next year. So if we get him I will bet any of you we are going to be active. 

3- The Jets can easily clear 20m. That alone will pay Deshaun AND resigning Marcus Maye. 

4- With a Whooping 70m left and so many teams without money your going to see alot of cuts this year in the NFL. There will be more players then ever available to us. 

6- Free agents are already mentioning our name. Allen Robinson? Richard Sherman? Have FA's ever mentioned our name like this?

7- There will be a Deshaun Watson effect of players that will want to play with him. Like worst case Will Fuller will come affordable and put up stud numbers. JJ Watt may follow him. This could be an NBA style rebuild. 

Will Joe Douglas go for this? The initial thought is no right? Well the question then is who are we going to pay? Draft picks can't get paid for 3 years. Quinnen can't get paid until 2022. Becton can't get paid until after 2023 but likely it will be 2024. If we were to sign Allen Robinson for example the guaranteed money in his deal will be gone by then anyway. 

Not only could this be a NBA rebuild but it could be successful long term as well. By the time the Allen Robinson's contract's are cuttable the draft picks we make in 2021 and 2022 then get paid. 

All these players are friends. They talk and talk will be lets all join up on Saleh's team in NY this year. They have enough money for all of us. 

The Dolphins did exactly what we are doing, only last year. Yet they can be 10-6, but why not us? They signed several free agents and had a nice draft with good coaching. We could easily be in the conversation next year with Watson.

• Upvote 2

@Shockwave

Great post. Great thread. 

Go get Deshaun and let's f***ing go NBA rebuild style!

Terms and conditions apply: I endorse the Deshaun trade for the right price. I'm comfortable with the much circulated Daniel Jerimiah trade scenario in which we send the #2 overall, next years first (either one), and our 2023 first to the Texans in exchange for said quarterback. I reserve the right to bash the trade, or bash the GM for not making the trade, dependent on the actual, finalized, real-world 'holy f*** they actually traded a 25 y/o FQB' agreed upon compensation between said silly franchise and the lucky benefactor. As a 'Darnold Truther' and firm believer in the Danrold-anon narrative that we have lacked sufficient coaching, offensive line play and #weaponZ to develop said ginger quarterback, I wish him well in his next destination should we make this trade - in a 'have fun stormin' the castle!' kind-of-way - but retain the right to resume belief in the aforementioned Darnold consipiracy theories should the trade outlined in the first sentence of these terms and conditions fail to materialize. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

WHY are we clearing money for DW? He’s already signed to a big contract. 

We have a ton of money. As mentioned above they don't need to clear any money for any one player. 

However what the OP goes into is the need to acquire alot of talent in FA since our picks will be gone. 

Scherff, Arob, D Watson alone should cost 50m this year. We still will need two DE and a CB. In the case that top guys are avail we can clear more money by the cuts mentioned above to sign more players. 

Side note for others - Jonu Smith is going to be such a bargain. So misused in Tenn. Would love him. 

1 minute ago, Jet2020 said:

We’ve got 70million in cap space. So again, why are we clearing cap when we already have 70 mil? 

Because we still have a few overpaid players we can get off the books (Anderson, possibly Fant or Lewis depending on what we draft ) to use toward other areas of need... all the while absorbing Watson’s 2021 cap # - and still be in good position to make a run at a few of the big ticket FAs.

• Upvote 2

By NBA rebuild you mean literally every rebuild in the NFL, that every team does....it just seems unique to use this year to actually see because he are one of the very few team in the NFL that never did it the right way.

It's not an NBA rebuild its just a rebuild. Miami, colts as indicated by others are good examples but there are others... Drafting kind of varies but the basic concept you laid out is the game plan by every team who needs to do it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

We have a ton of money. As mentioned above they don't need to clear any money for any one player. 

However what the OP goes into is the need to acquire alot of talent in FA since our picks will be gone. 

Scherff, Arob, D Watson alone should cost 50m this year. We still will need two DE and a CB. In the case that top guys are avail we can clear more money by the cuts mentioned above to sign more players. 

Side note for others - Jonu Smith is going to be such a bargain. So misused in Tenn. Would love him. 

I don’t agree with that model. It’s the same 2008 Jets model. Only sustainable for a very very short period of time. Can not bring in 4-5 top FAs and a top QB just because we have 70mil. You can fit them in. You can fit in 10 all pros in one year if you like but it comes at the expense of future cap hell. 

I’m all for DW and ARob. But for these two plus Sherman, Scherf plus 2-3 more top starters. I’d love to have them but it’s not a long term model. It’s a quick fix with a very short 1-2 year window to make a deep playoff push. After that, it’s anyone’s guess. 

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I don't doubt that Watson and A-Rob are collaborating here.  They probably both like Saleh, and both know the Jets have the picks and cap space to pair them together.  Plus the marketing opportunities playing in NY brings.

Perhaps the exact wording I didn't stress enough. Are players collborating here? Because it sure seems like it early on. 

5 hours ago, Vader said:

NBA courts 5 starters who share one possession at a time and play defense at the simultaneously. The analogy is taken but it’s a different model in the NFL...Very different 

It’s easier to rebuild in the nfl.  You get 7 draft picks per year plus most contacts aren’t guaranteed so you can get out of a bad contract in most cases

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, QB1 said:

God I hope not. In fact I’d be willing to lose out on Deshaun if only to prevent a “player movement” in the NFL. This sh*t has killed the NBA. 

The nba is unwatchable now. That being said, nba is very different....3 guys “teaming up” means nothing in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

The nba is unwatchable now. That being said, nba is very different....3 guys “teaming up” means nothing in the NFL.

A lot of these hyped up “superteams” in the nba don’t win championships either 

I can’t wait to laugh when the Nets fail to get out of the East

10 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Why?

Didn’t Cleveland already start this trend when they got a draft pick to take osweiler off the hands of the Texans?

8 hours ago, J_Smith said:

I think you’re right. This follows the player empowerment movement that’s constant in the nba. Need a big star to get it rolling in the nfl. I’m all for it because as a knicks fan, I’ve only been on the losing end lol

Yep 100%.  Interesting post by the OP.

Taking it a step further, there is NO WAY, Deshaun is coming here without a star WR.  If he goes to the texans he can be allowed to talk to the Jets while his agent reaches out to Robinson, Curtis Samuel or whoever to make sure they are a package deal.

Now, it may not translate to instant success like the NFL, but Watson, Robinson, Sherman and Thuney could get this team on the track to the playoffs immediately.

24 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Taking it a step further, there is NO WAY, Deshaun is coming here without a star WR.  If he goes to the texans he can be allowed to talk to the Jets while his agent reaches out to Robinson, Curtis Samuel or whoever to make sure they are a package deal.

Now, it may not translate to instant success like the NFL, but Watson, Robinson, Sherman and Thuney could get this team on the track to the playoffs immediately.

24 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Everything is falling into place here. Saleh is very well liked by the players, NY Jets need a franchise QB, we have the money, we have the draft picks. This is a franchise QB people! 

Saints got lucky as Miami picked Culpepper over Brees. 

2007- Saints went 7-9 with Brees, 2008 they went 8-8, 2009 13-3! There is not a sane Jet fan out there that is turning their nose up to obtaining Watson. Of course we're not giving up the ship, JD isn't stupid, but it's gonna take at minimum 3 1sts, Watson is a top 5 QB, but..he's 25 years old! 

NO BRAINER!!!

12 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Well technically the Jaguars have done the exact same thing and slightly better, but I split hairs.  

Hmm. Well, the "star forcing his way out" in the NBA is relatively new. 

I get the concept though, and I guess it would apply, loosely, to what the Lakers and now the Nets did. 

The other "Big 3's" were initially traditional, then FA driven. Let's recap:

Celtics: Pierce (drafted), Allen and Garnett (I THINK both acquired for draft picks/players, obviously some "insider trading" via Mainge and McHale)

Heat: Already had drafted well with Wade and Bosh; LeBron and all "The Decision" bs, he goes to join a strong two for easier path to initial ring

Warriors: Already had their 3 in place via savvy drafting; Durant joins in the most punk example of ring chasing ever. Hey, why not, I guess. 

Lakers: Sign LeBron, "decent" drafting yields some players, The Brow/Anthony Davis "complains his way to LA", Lakers have enough decent young players to make the exercise not look like a total joke

Nets: Durant and Kyrie sign as FA's, Nets let go of some decent young players, a ton of picks/pick swaps, as Harden does "The Brow", while the Nets go all in for the next 3/4 years. 

Anyway, there may be some more low key examples of teams clearing cap space and signing a couple of big FA's to get into playoff contention; I'm being a little  lazy. 

Anyway, the point is, enough bball fans have arguments over the best way to build a team - Tank for picks (less and less a good idea over time; rules against it now, basically); semi tank, gather picks and develop youth; cap management - manage the cap, then get the FA's, or mostly trades. 

Obviously, the good teams do a combination of all of them.

I listed the "Big 3's" because even those have some solid drafting before the big "FA signing/Complain You Way To A Trade"

Football isn't that analogous to the NBA, as the roster is bigger, coaching matters way more, "role players" matter way more, etc. 

Even so, I'd venture the Jets are kind of, at least, ONE YEAR away from being in the ideal spot to trade for Watson, in that the team needs a bit more of a "drafted youth base".

HOWEVER

Opportunity knocks when it knocks, and fortune favors not the bold, but the COMPETENT BOLD. 

I could see a partial NBA rebuild here, in that the Jets have some pieces on offense - LF, pair of "decent receivers"; defense was solid if not spectacular. I get there are a still a lot of gaps in the team, regarding being good. 

But, as others have pointed out, if the Jets don't surrender a stupid amount of draft capital, and common sense says they shouldn't, I could see them accelerating this rebuild via:

FA:

Franchise QB: Watson

Stud WR: Take a pick of the 4 or 5 guys available. Surely the Jets can land ONE.

OL:  Get Thunney

Those are the larger ticket items. 

Use the rest of the FA money, where @football guy laid out the approach JD wants to take, in husbanding $ for the next year etc, and Jets will  have money to be players again in 2022, to make a couple of short deal, sensible vet contracts

Use the draft, where Jets will still  have a number of picks, to further upgrade the cost effective talent depth. 

In my dream scenario (unlikely) Jets get to keep #2, but give up #1's in 3 consecutive years, then use the 2021 2nd pick to trade back and get more draft capital. 

Anyway, that's my ebook. Feel free to add/correct the NBA section, I did that off the top of my head. 

3 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Coach Saleh stated “there are no shortcuts to success”.  We are building they the draft.  

Clearly he never considered the possibility that a young, top 5 QB could ever be available via trade, since that's never happened in NFL history.

If he did, he'd be saying "there are no shortcuts to success....with one rare exception".  

Meanwhile, one could argue that trading picks for Watson IS building via the draft.  We traded Adams away for two 1sts and a 3rd.  That gave us the flexibility to make a deal like this happened.  What would work out to being a # 2 pick + Jamal Adams for Deshaun Watson would be a great use of resources.

We'd still have plenty of draft picks left over to continue building via the draft.  

5 minutes ago, peebag said:

We have all the talent at WR right now.  It's the QB that makes the difference.

Or so I am told by all the Sam haters out there.

Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin's agents, the day after the Jets acquire Watson:  "Hey Joe, I'm calling on behalf of my client...."