Could the Jets be the NFL's first NBA rebuild?

28 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Great theory but....Watson isn't coming here.

The Texans are going to hire Bieniemy, Watson will be happy and he'll stay in Houston.

Great theory, but the problems with Watson/Houston run far deeper than who the HC ends up being.

Bieniemy isn't getting DeAndre Hopkins back.  Bieniemy also isn't going to make JJ Watt happy.  Nor is Bieniemy going to force the owners to sell the team or fire the GM and the con man in the organization.

15 minutes ago, peebag said:

We have all the talent at WR right now.  It's the QB that makes the difference.

Or so I am told by all the Sam haters out there.

LOL

I don't think I've seen a single poster say either of those things.

What I've been reading here is people aren't "Sam haters" , most think he's a really nice kid, who's bad at QB.

12 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

The Dolphins did exactly what we are doing, only last year. Yet they can be 10-6, but why not us? They signed several free agents and had a nice draft with god coaching. We could easily be in the conversation next year with Watson.

Because this is the road to ruin, it's 2015 all over again where we punted the rebuilding plan and went for wins, brought in a bunch of guys, went 10-6, didn't make the playoffs, and have suffered for that decision for the last 5 seasons.

We have just set ourselves up for 5 years of patience with the Douglas Saleh tandem.  Getting Watson would be a once-in-a-lifetime situation, but throwing money at free agents doesn't work long-term, and you need to think long-term to win a Super Bowl.  Brees and Payton had 15 years together, 8 years of playoffs, and went to the Super Bowl exactly 1 time.  You've got to have a streak of multiple playoff seasons, not one and done.

SAR I

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Well technically the Jaguars have done the exact same thing and slightly better, but I split hairs.  

Think Bigger. 

The Jets don't just have many extra picks this year. They have 11 total picks in the 2022 Draft including Two First. Jags do not. 

In 2022 Cap Space:

Jags: 121

Jets : 150 or so. 

There is no team with this many resources as the Jets. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

I don't think I've seen a single poster say either of those things.

What I've been reading here is people aren't "Sam haters" , most think he's a really nice kid, who's bad at QB.

So bringing in Watson, we'll need to upgrade the WR core so he'll have the weapons necessary to win?

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Because this is the road to ruin, it's 2015 all over again where we punted the rebuilding plan and went for wins, brought in a bunch of guys, went 10-6, didn't make the playoffs, and have suffered for that decision for the last 5 seasons.

We have just set ourselves up for 5 years of patience with the Douglas Saleh tandem.  Getting Watson would be a once-in-a-lifetime situation, but throwing money at free agents doesn't work long-term, and you need to think long-term to win a Super Bowl.  Brees and Payton had 15 years together, 8 years of playoffs, and went to the Super Bowl exactly 1 time.  You've got to have a streak of multiple playoff seasons, not one and done.

SAR I

I agree with part of what you said. Watson can be the key to learn term success. We do need a good guard and a receiver. They don't have to be old, but experienced. I think the best lines have a mix of young talent and experienced guys. You have to spend your FA money to a point. We also need a cornerback. Getting Lattimore if he is released by the Saints due to cap restraints, Thuney and Allen Robinson would be signing guys that will help us. You can still draft a receiver or corner, but when you have holes you need to fill them. Douglas will make sure not to overpay and not to pick guys that are too old to help us. Adding those pieces and our offense can be good for several years while we bring along all of our draft picks.

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Yep 100%.  Interesting post by the OP.

Taking it a step further, there is NO WAY, Deshaun is coming here without a star WR.  If he goes to the texans he can be allowed to talk to the Jets while his agent reaches out to Robinson, Curtis Samuel or whoever to make sure they are a package deal.

Now, it may not translate to instant success like the NFL, but Watson, Robinson, Sherman and Thuney could get this team on the track to the playoffs immediately.

This is really as close to my thinking as possible. 

Deshaun is not coming to a 2 win team unless theres some behind the doors handshake we can be somewhat competitive this year. 

NO it doesn't mean were going to spend 70m foolishly. However expect a few big names to follow him or hes not coming. This guys all talk and many NFL players are friends. If Deshaun comes expect many more to want to come. 

If you look at our Cap situation we don't just have loads of money this year. We have even more money avail in 22 and 23. 

12 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I agree with part of what you said. Watson can be the key to learn term success. We do need a good guard and a receiver. They don't have to be old, but experienced. I think the best lines have a mix of young talent and experienced guys. You have to spend your FA money to a point. We also need a cornerback. Getting Lattimore if he is released by the Saints due to cap restraints, Thuney and Allen Robinson would be signing guys that will help us. You can still draft a receiver or corner, but when you have holes you need to fill them. Douglas will make sure not to overpay and not to pick guys that are too old to help us. Adding those pieces and our offense can be good for several years while we bring along all of our draft picks.

I agree-  if you can get Watson you go for it immediately.

But doing that comes with a risk.  Without a good foundation of players (like say 2 more years of Douglas drafts and UFA pickups) we'd have a flawed roster and eventually that would come to burn us.  It's a slippery slope.  I kind of wish this Watson distraction didn't happen as its opposed to what Dougleh is trying to do.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, peebag said:

So bringing in Watson, we'll need to upgrade the WR core so he'll have the weapons necessary to win?

Yes

That's also why the majority of the posters I've read feel that Yes, they want Watson, but there is a limit to the price.

There are a small vocal minority of  posters who feel "Watson at any cost".  IMO that doesn't work at all.

IMO, IF Watson actually goes up for trade (I doubt it) The Fish are going to hold the key for the Jets interest.  If the Fish want Watson bad, it won't be in the Jets best interest to get in a bidding war with them.  If they are good going forward with Tua, as they have publicly stated, then perhaps the price of acquiring  him will be reasonable.  

In all honesty, Watson hasn't demanded a trade yet which indicates to me he is just trying to force his will on the Texans.  If they hire Bieniemy it will all go away.  If he still is trying to shoot his way out of town, then he has a different agenda then his public stance, and it might be time to take notice.

This is a fun debate, but right now it's just mist.  I don't know why people are getting all upset about it. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Yes

That's also why the majority of the posters I've read feel that Yes, they want Watson, but there is a limit to the price.

There are a small vocal minority of  posters who feel "Watson at any cost".  IMO that doesn't work at all.

IMO, IF Watson actually goes up for trade (I doubt it) The Fish are going to hold the key for the Jets interest.  If the Fish want Watson bad, it won't be in the Jets best interest to get in a bidding war with them.  If they are good going forward with Tua, as they have publicly stated, then perhaps the price of acquiring  him will be reasonable.  

In all honesty, Watson hasn't demanded a trade yet which indicates to me he is just trying to force his will on the Texans.  If they hire Bieniemy it will all go away.  If he still is trying to shoot his way out of town, then he has a different agenda then his public stance, and it might be time to take notice.

This is a fun debate, but right now it's just mist.  I don't know why people are getting all upset about it. 

So Sam Darnold would not succeed with better "weapons"?

12 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

We’ve got 70million in cap space. So again, why are we clearing cap when we already have 70 mil? 

Because Watson is a $30 million cap hit and there’s a good chance the cap gets decreased by $20 million due to decreased revenue this year

The jets are still in good shape however. Just cut and restructure a couple guys 

1 hour ago, peebag said:

--So Sam Darnold would not succeed with better "weapons"?

No

He'll be slightly better of course with a better team, but he'll never be a top QB.  Good enough maybe for

9-7, maybe 10-6 if the team really improves, but I don't see him going deep into the playoffs.

After 3 seasons the kid is showing he just doesn't have it.  This is his numbers from a clean pocket.

Lowest % of accurate passes thrown from a clean pocket in 2020, per

: 26. Drew Lock (60%)

27. Nick Mullens (59%)

28. Gardner Minshew (59%)

29. Matt Stafford (58%)

30. Sam Darnold (56%)

31. Mitch Trubisky (54%)

32. Carson Wentz (51%)

That's terrible.  Even with weak WR's that's as bad as it gets.  This is after 3 years, not  rookie.  

Sam is very inaccurate with a long ball

Hasn't improved in pre-snap reads

still makes bad decisions consistently

holds the ball to long

and perhaps worst of all, just doesn't see the field.  I don't know how many times watching on the overhead view, you'll see a WR with a step on a DB, or wide open, and Sam throws the ball into coverage.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Because Watson is a $30 million cap hit and there’s a good chance the cap gets decreased by $20 million due to decreased revenue this year

The jets are still in good shape however. Just cut and restructure a couple guys 

Restructure for what? Restructure = moving money to future years. Why would we do that when we have the highest cap available to us EVER in franchise history and second in the league? We are not signing 6 elite players from the FA in one off season. It’s not 2008.