Saleh press conference link

QB1

15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Obviously Sam Darnold was going to be drafted.  He has the size, looks the part, and had some success in college.  However, take away that Rose Bowl game, and he's not #3.

As for his offensive lineman.  So what?  He's the only QB ever to have to play with new players?  He was also at USC with more talent than his opponent in almost every game.  He was over-hyped, and over-drafted, and you're seeing why today.

And, I'm not lying to myself.  I was happy when we drafted him.  There were some red flags, but I was optimistic.  Then I watched him play for 3 years, and what I saw was a bad quarterback.  Lying to yourself is pretending like the worst QB in the NFL is actually good.

And, he does not have a great arm.  Or, if he does, he can't utilize it because his footwork is abysmal.  But, watch the games he's the weaker armed QB in most of them.

I disagree with you. I can't wait until the draft is over. We can talk about other stuff. This issue is sort of like the politics of today. Very divisive. Let's celebrate what ee can agree on. No more Gase. A real HC, who's putting a great staff in place. And a proven offensive scheme.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Ah, the old “who’s a real fan” argument.  Smart!

Lets pause this conversation while you figure out the difference between expecting something and wanting it.

Go get a dictionary....i dont have time to explain basic sh*t to you. Thanks for playing.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, genot said:

It goes a lot deeper than that. If you ar right and Sam is the starter next year, what does that tell you about Douglas and Saleh.

If they go with Darnold and he doesn't show much, it's not a negative on JD and Saleh. It really just means they weren't high on any of the QB's coming out and felt the draft picks were a good starting point to build around. They are not joined at the hip to Darnold.  They can always sign a FA QB or get another one next year in the draft. Really no rush here.  It's not like this team is going to be competing for a playoff spot any time soon. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Neither the Jets drafting a WR at 2, or me crying about it.  I expect the Jets to do dumb things and to fail, because that's what they always do.

Keeping the leagues worst QB and over drafting a WR would solicit a head shake, smirk, and laugh.

Did. There's a new sheriff in town and a new deputy.  Whether they keep Darnold this year has no bearing on either of their competence to run this organization.  More will be revealed.

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Great post 

But I don’t see a professional football team, f***** with their franchise QB confidence by having his status up the the air. Especially after seeing him melt to the Lawrence pressure this season.

IMO darnold is done as a NYJ 

If Jets get Watson, which will cost to much, Darnold is obviously gone.  If they draft a rookie they could still keep Sam around a year and trade him the following year. Or, they could just go with Darnold, keep the picks and fortify the team w/o taking a QB. It's a win win for JD and Saleh if they stick with Darnold and draft a QB or don't.  They can easily move on in 2022.  Bottom line, they are going to do what's sensible.  Personally, i think he's gone this year or the next next regardless.  I'd rather cut ties with him NOW. Nor do I want to give away 3-4 1st's for Watson. Most on this board want one or the other.  I don't want Darnold and I don't want to give up all those assets for Watson.  I feel like an orphan on here.

• Sympathy 1

I heard some of the presser on the radio. I was supposed to be off today, so much for that; but I have a job, so no complaints.  I like Saleh's voice. Mild, almost indiscernible ME accent, lilting cadence. Then it occurred to me. He sounds just like one of my old Neurologists. Whaddup, Dr. Nasir, lol.

The buzzkill was Christopher Johnson saying the Principal Owner is on an airplane and will be resuming his duties, and that he (Christopher) will now be VP CEO instead of CEO or some kinda chit like that. Exit Stage Left. I did. I got off the exit and turned into the Sunoco Station to get gas and cut him off mid-bullshi tting. Not with my car. I shut the radio. Oh, well. 

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Obviously Sam Darnold was going to be drafted.  He has the size, looks the part, and had some success in college.  However, take away that Rose Bowl game, and he's not #3.

As for his offensive lineman.  So what?  He's the only QB ever to have to play with new players?  He was also at USC with more talent than his opponent in almost every game.  He was over-hyped, and over-drafted, and you're seeing why today.

And, I'm not lying to myself.  I was happy when we drafted him.  There were some red flags, but I was optimistic.  Then I watched him play for 3 years, and what I saw was a bad quarterback.  Lying to yourself is pretending like the worst QB in the NFL is actually good.

And, he does not have a great arm.  Or, if he does, he can't utilize it because his footwork is abysmal.  But, watch the games he's the weaker armed QB in most of them.

I think his arm is better than average. The problem is he doesn’t have the field vision, the instincts or the mechanics to use it properly. And the reason I want him gone is that I don’t think you can coach vision and instincts. 

17 hours ago, TeddEY said:

What I thought was funny is that most of what he said about Darnold in the positive, it all wasn't true.

"Unbelievable arm talent" - Yeah, no.  He has an adequate NFL arm.

"He's fearless in the pocket" - Yeah, no.  He bails on the pocket almost immediately.

"He's extremely intelligent" - Yeah, no.  Doesn't read defenses and makes repeated dumb decisions with the ball.

Honestly, it did sound more like a sales pitch.  I'd have been more worried if he said, "Look, Sam's got a lot of raw talent - we believe that.  He's still young and learning the position.  Obviously, something hasn't been working - we can't deny the stats or the lack of success on offense last year.  But we think all the tools are there, we still think the guy that was picked 3rd overall can show up on Sundays, and we look forward to supporting him, and putting him on a path to success."

rarely will someone say what you suggest.  

if they said that - much more likely that the would have him stay.   what they did say instead leads one to believe he's a goner.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TeddEY said:

would you have drafted Rosen or Allen?

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

would you have drafted Rosen or Allen?

I probably would have drafted Rosen.

That said, I don't watch college ball.  At least outside of the bowl games.  So, I, by no means, claim to have great opinions on these guys.  I look at QBASE.  I follow some of the data trends.  So, I misfired big time on Allen.  But, I'd still go with the data and wouldn't draft a player like him.  I'd miss out on the one-in-a-million, which he really is, for better odds.  But, beyond things like that, I'm not the person to go to for college player takes - which is, why I don't really offer them.

I've said it before, but I hated how Darnold stood next to Mayfield, Rosen, and Allen, at the combine, and didn't throw.  The optics were terrible, and it caused a ton of concern for me with him.  Three dudes slinging it and you're standing there with that blank stare.  Then, I convinced myself this was all okay.  But, the truth is, all of the red flags have panned out regarding him.

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I probably would have drafted Rosen.

That said, I don't watch college ball.  At least outside of the bowl games.  So, I, by no means, claim to have great opinions on these guys.  I look at QBASE.  I follow some of the data trends.  So, I misfired big time on Allen.  But, I'd still go with the data and wouldn't draft a player like him.  I'd miss out on the one-in-a-million, which he really is, for better odds.  But, beyond things like that, I'm not the person to go to for college player takes - which is, why I don't really offer them.

I've said it before, but I hated how Darnold stood next to Mayfield, Rosen, and Allen, at the combine, and didn't throw.  The optics were terrible, and it caused a ton of concern for me with him.  Three dudes slinging it and you're standing there with that blank stare.  Then, I convinced myself this was all okay.  But, the truth is, all of the red flags have panned out regarding him.

i liked mayfield of the 4, hated rosen b/c his arm is weak.  the jets were never drafting allen b/c of the failed hack experiment.  i see zach wilson as a better version of mayfield fwiw.

I just finished listening to all of the Saleh interviews, and I have to say it is an absolute pleasure to listen to a head coach who actually sounds capable and knows how to articulate his point of view with firmness, confidence, and authority but with an attitude that isn't off-putting.  He sounds like a LEADER and that's exactly what the Jets need.  Shame on every single person in the front office and ownership who let the totally incapable dumpster fire who shall remain nameless coach this precious team of ours for the last two years.