Saleh press conference link

QB1

14 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

well he hasnt trashed the team or cause headaches, the team has given him headaches, thats the difference. Also he is a QB , an important position, not a safety. He also doenst want to be over paid like that safety wanted. 

So yeah no, it is very different. You can hate sam and even argue that he is not good, despite it being a gase problem not sam problem, but for you to say he is good as gone is not true.

This has noting to do with Sam trashing the team or not being a team player or a great guy. This is all about playing to an exceptional level so he can maintain being a professional QB in the NFL. Now i don't know what you see Sunday after Sunday but he is not progressing to the exceptional level we all expected as the 3rd pick in the draft. Every Sunday i watch and every Sunday he disappoints and has been disappointing me since 2019 . Maybe Saleh sees something and so does Mike La Fleur but that's a big if.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

True, but again, Kingsbury also said "Josh is our guy" less than two months before the draft. 

Saleh said no such thing about Darnold today. He could have said "Sam is our starter for now" or "Sam is our guy for now" or something like that. He said nothing of the sort. 

From reading your posts, you seem to have a lot personally invested in Sam being the starter here. I tend to think you are setting yourself up for disappointment, but like I said, we'll see what happens. 

I do. I think the jets have done their very best to ruin him with that moron HC, no real QB/OC coach, and by throwing him out there with a bunch of guys who couldn’t make any other team in the NFL. All I want is for Joe Douglas to put a team around Darnold that I could look at and say....ok...this is a good team and Darnold is not the guy. Finally...because of his contract...its basically this year, they will not pick up his 5th year....either Joe gets some players here and Sam can do it, or one or both of those things don’t happen and we move on.

Above all of the above, i think Sam is an excellent young man, I think he comes from a good family, looking around pro sports he remind me of what a professional athlete should be in the way he acts, the way he plays, the way he does his job surrounded by clowns like Jamal Adams and Adam Gase. I want to see him succeed, and I think he will get at least 1 more shot to do it here with Saleh.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

People saying "Darnold is clearly not part of the future" based on this presser don't get it. He did his job here, which was not to box himself in to a point where what they eventually decide to do with Sam could potentially damage his credibility or trigger stories about he and Douglas not being on the same page. That meant he couldn't say "Sam's my starter" and he couldn't say "Sam's not my QB". He praised him, and said they need to get to work and evaluate everywhere. That answer leaves them able to do anything with Sam - keep him, move him, build around him in the draft, draft his replacement and have Sam compete with a rookie - without being painted as a liar based on a presser given days after he was hired and before the team came to a firm decision.

That's exactly how he should've answered it, and if you're reading any tea leaves based on it, you're overreading things.

(And before anyone says it: No, if the Jets had Mahomes that would be a different answer. But that's the point. It would also have been a different answer if they had Brooks Bollinger as their starting QB. The most you can say right now is that the Jets don't have a set answer about how they're going to handle the QB situation yet).

It seems obvious that everything is on the table and no decision has been made.  Sam may stay. he may go.

But that doesn't stop people from jumping to definitive conclusions. It's sort of funny.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

People saying "Darnold is clearly not part of the future" based on this presser don't get it. He did his job here, which was not to box himself in to a point where what they eventually decide to do with Sam could potentially damage his credibility or trigger stories about he and Douglas not being on the same page. That meant he couldn't say "Sam's my starter" and he couldn't say "Sam's not my QB". He praised him, and said they need to get to work and evaluate everywhere. That answer leaves them able to do anything with Sam - keep him, move him, build around him in the draft, draft his replacement and have Sam compete with a rookie - without being painted as a liar based on a presser given days after he was hired and before the team came to a firm decision.

That's exactly how he should've answered it, and if you're reading any tea leaves based on it, you're overreading things.

(And before anyone says it: No, if the Jets had Mahomes that would be a different answer. But that's the point. It would also have been a different answer if they had Brooks Bollinger as their starting QB. The most you can say right now is that the Jets don't have a set answer about how they're going to handle the QB situation yet).

Great post 

But I don’t see a professional football team, f***** with their franchise QB confidence by having his status up the the air. Especially after seeing him melt to the Lawrence pressure this season.

IMO darnold is done as a NYJ 

• Upvote 1

Just now, k-met57 said:

Remember that when you are wiping your tears away after we draft a WR at 2.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Neither the Jets drafting a WR at 2, or me crying about it.  I expect the Jets to do dumb things and to fail, because that's what they always do.

Keeping the leagues worst QB and over drafting a WR would solicit a head shake, smirk, and laugh.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Neither the Jets drafting a WR at 2, or me crying about it.  I expect the Jets to do dumb things and to fail, because that's what they always do.

Keeping the leagues worst QB and over drafting a WR would solicit a head shake, smirk, and laugh.

Sounds like you are just about ready to stop doing it to yourself....i hear the bandwagon in philly is much lighter then it used to be.

6 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

These Sam stans are the kings of cringe and wanting to run it back with the leagues worst QB...  Simply amazing! 

And can someone tel me, WTF does “being a nice kid” have to do with being a good football player? 

Sam stans? Kings of cringe? Ok dopemeal 

43 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

This has noting to do with Sam trashing the team or not being a team player or a great guy. This is all about playing to an exceptional level so he can maintain being a professional QB in the NFL. Now i don't know what you see Sunday after Sunday but he is not progressing to the exceptional level we all expected as the 3rd pick in the draft. Every Sunday i watch and every Sunday he disappoints and has been disappointing me since 2019 . Maybe Saleh sees something and so does Mike La Fleur but that's a big if.  

yeah def big if, but i think reasonable when they can see the poor coaching and gameplan. I was just pointing out Sam and Jamal very different situation jamal was put in position to succeed and trashed Joe D and the team in public, sam has been put in horrible position and always portrayed the team in a good light. That matters to the team and I think him being a good talent and good off field helps make it easier for them to let him have one more year with a good coach to show what he can do, but that i agree is a big if. I think he gets one more year and will show up gamedays ready to go and win us some games. But we can both agree in that scenario - if he dont succeed they going to move on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

These Sam stans are the kings of cringe and wanting to run it back with the leagues worst QB...  Simply amazing! 

And can someone tel me, WTF does “being a nice kid” have to do with being a good football player? 

I wish Sammy had some Geno/Rosen in him so it would be easier to cut the cord

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yeah def big if, but i think reasonable when they can see the poor coaching and gameplan. I was just pointing out Sam and Jamal very different situation jamal was put in position to succeed and trashed Joe D and the team in public, sam has been put in horrible position and always portrayed the team in a good light. That matters to the team and I think him being a good talent and good off field helps make it easier for them to let him have one more year with a good coach to show what he can do, but that i agree is a big if. I think he gets one more year and will show up gamedays ready to go and win us some games. But we can both agree in that scenario - if he dont succeed they going to move on. 

I think this is all that can be asked. Regardless of what JD does with the roster...i dont think you can pick up his 5th year option....so its sh*t or get off the pot this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

What I thought was funny is that most of what he said about Darnold in the positive, it all wasn't true.

"Unbelievable arm talent" - Yeah, no.  He has an adequate NFL arm.

"He's fearless in the pocket" - Yeah, no.  He bails on the pocket almost immediately.

"He's extremely intelligent" - Yeah, no.  Doesn't read defenses and makes repeated dumb decisions with the ball.

Honestly, it did sound more like a sales pitch.  I'd have been more worried if he said, "Look, Sam's got a lot of raw talent - we believe that.  He's still young and learning the position.  Obviously, something hasn't been working - we can't deny the stats or the lack of success on offense last year.  But we think all the tools are there, we still think the guy that was picked 3rd overall can show up on Sundays, and we look forward to supporting him, and putting him on a path to success."

Lol. Why was he drafted into the NFL, if he has no skills as you suggest. I mean it's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

The comments re Sam weren’t being made to the media, the fans, the players or to Sam about being in the same page — they were being made to the other GMs.

Not committing to Sam is designed ONLY to maximize the price to trade up to #2 by leading the league to believe that we are sticking at 2 and taking a QB...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Seems like a terrific guy.  I hope it works out for him and the team.  When he says he's going to invest in the players with the goal of getting better every day I believe him.  He does seem to believe in scheme a lot.  He and Douglas really need to be on the same page on what kind of players skill sets they are looking for.  He's going to be a CEO type of HC who is building a program that the players fit into not the other way around.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

What I thought was funny is that most of what he said about Darnold in the positive, it all wasn't true.

"Unbelievable arm talent" - Yeah, no.  He has an adequate NFL arm.

"He's fearless in the pocket" - Yeah, no.  He bails on the pocket almost immediately.

"He's extremely intelligent" - Yeah, no.  Doesn't read defenses and makes repeated dumb decisions with the ball.

Honestly, it did sound more like a sales pitch.  I'd have been more worried if he said, "Look, Sam's got a lot of raw talent - we believe that.  He's still young and learning the position.  Obviously, something hasn't been working - we can't deny the stats or the lack of success on offense last year.  But we think all the tools are there, we still think the guy that was picked 3rd overall can show up on Sundays, and we look forward to supporting him, and putting him on a path to success."

You do understand that no Coach in the NFL would say what you want, and every single one would say the fluff crap Saleh said.....right?

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

You are not a “fan” when you are waiting for your team to **** up, so you can “head shake, smirk and laugh”

Ah, the old “who’s a real fan” argument.  Smart!

Lets pause this conversation while you figure out the difference between expecting something and wanting it.

2 hours ago, genot said:

Lol. Why was he drafted into the NFL, if he has no skills as you suggest. I mean it's ridiculous.

Because he put up a stellar performance at the Rose Bowl?   And then everyone ignored the following year when he was mediocre?

And, I didn’t say he had no skills.  I said the things highlighted by Saleh weren’t actually things he’s good at.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

You do understand that no Coach in the NFL would say what you want, and every single one would say the fluff crap Saleh said.....right?

I mean, what I’d want is for him to say, “Dude’s a joke and we prepped for him by putting on tape and laughing over a few beers,” but I guess I don’t really want that because it would hurt his trade value and after all, someone was dumb enough to give up two 1s for Adams, so maybe we can get something for Darnold based on name recognition.

But, what was amusing, as stated, was that what he actually did point to were things that were actually weaknesses we see every single week.  All he was missing was saying that Sam has some of the finest footwork in the NFL.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Because he put up a stellar performance at the Rose Bowl?   And then everyone ignored the following year when he was mediocre?

And, I didn’t say he had no skills.  I said the things highlighted by Saleh weren’t actually things he’s good at.

He has a great arm. When he was coming out scouts we're amazed at the velocity he had on his throws even when throwing off his back foot. His junior year he was playing behind 4 new offensive lineman. If a team needs a QB in the draft, they look at all the film. They're gonna tie the future at QB, by watching an hour of film at the Rose Bowl. We all can lie to ourselves,(including me), But cmon.

6 minutes ago, genot said:

He has a great arm. When he was coming out scouts we're amazed at the velocity he had on his throws even when throwing off his back foot. His junior year he was playing behind 4 new offensive lineman. If a team needs a QB in the draft, they look at all the film. They're gonna tie the future at QB, by watching an hour of film at the Rose Bowl. We all can lie to ourselves,(including me), But cmon.

Obviously Sam Darnold was going to be drafted.  He has the size, looks the part, and had some success in college.  However, take away that Rose Bowl game, and he's not #3.

As for his offensive lineman.  So what?  He's the only QB ever to have to play with new players?  He was also at USC with more talent than his opponent in almost every game.  He was over-hyped, and over-drafted, and you're seeing why today.

And, I'm not lying to myself.  I was happy when we drafted him.  There were some red flags, but I was optimistic.  Then I watched him play for 3 years, and what I saw was a bad quarterback.  Lying to yourself is pretending like the worst QB in the NFL is actually good.

And, he does not have a great arm.  Or, if he does, he can't utilize it because his footwork is abysmal.  But, watch the games he's the weaker armed QB in most of them.

• Upvote 1