Rumors of Texans thoughts on trading for Tua

47 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

There are a zillion Watson threads so I wasn't sure where to stick this. Felt it could be a discussion point by itself. 2 ways to read this:

1) Tua is not an option the Texans want to explore

2) Tua is not an option the Texans want to explore without a host of draft picks attached to him.

Not sure what to make of it but if it's option #1 it builds a stronger case for not overpaying.

This is huge news. Miami has nothing on us now.

also Mods please don’t merge all these. Who would want to read through 20 pages for legit info like this above. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

today is 1/21

we have until 4/29

going to be a very very very long 13 weeks

buckle up

2/26/21

"and then, watson took a dump! and YES! there was green in his dump!"

I'll take this over just about anything else going on in the world. 

By the way, if he's taking green dumps, it might actually lower his trade value.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Statistically false.  

Tua dinked and dunked a lot, but 64 % completions, 11/5 TD:INT ratio and 87.1 QB rating would be welcome numbers to get out of Darnold.  And this was Tua's first season (coming off a strange and shortened offseason), while Darnold has been in the league 3 years.

It's interesting that teams seem willing to move on from statistically better QB's, like Tua, Mitchell Trubisky, and Gardner Minshew, yet a sizable number of Jets fans somehow still want to hold out hope in Sam Darnold. 

Still not clear on how you really feel about Darnold ??

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I'll take this over just about anything else going on in the world. 

By the way, if he's taking green dumps, it might actually lower his trade value.

Waiting for the poll now about whether Watson is eating too much roughage. 

• Haha 1

I clearly thought that Justin Herbert was the best quarterback out of that draft class. I was surprised by Burrow, I didn't think he had the balls or moxie so I readily admit I was wrong on that one because that kid plays the position beautifully.

Tua reminds me of Mariota. They both have pretty good tools but they just don't have "it".

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Statistically false.  

Tua dinked and dunked a lot, but 64 % completions, 11/5 TD:INT ratio and 87.1 QB rating would be welcome numbers to get out of Darnold.  And this was Tua's first season (coming off a strange and shortened offseason), while Darnold has been in the league 3 years.

It's interesting that teams seem willing to move on from statistically better QB's, like Tua, Mitchell Trubisky, and Gardner Minshew, yet a sizable number of Jets fans somehow still want to hold out hope in Sam Darnold. 

I think when it's your guy, there's always going to be a portion of the fanbase that looks at him differently than some random QB from another team.

It's easy to write off QB's from other teams, but harder to do it on your own. It's the emotional attachment I guess.

People want to buy into the idea that Sam can turn it all around in year 4. I want to believe that Sam can turn it all around. But history says he most likely can't. Time to move on. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think when it's your guy, there's always going to be a portion of the fanbase that looks at him differently than some random QB from another team.

It's easy to write off QB's from other teams, but harder to do it on your own. It's the emotional attachment I guess.

People want to buy into the idea that Sam can turn it all around in year 4. I want to believe that Sam can turn it all around. But history says he most likely can't. Time to move on. 

It's a process. Three stages:

- blame the talent around the QB(THE OL SUCKS! THE WEAPONS SUCK! How can you win with this?)

- blame the coaching for mismanaging the QB(Gase is the worst HC since Kotite)

- eventually the team cuts bait with the QB, the QB goes elsewhere and continues to suck and you can finally admit that you were wrong.

Darnold is bad because he's a bad QB. It doesn't help matters that Gase and the team around him sucks but it is what it is. His ability to diagnose blitzes and where pressure is coming from, general inaccuracy, skittishness in the pocket, the turnovers - that ain't getting better if he goes to the Steelers, boys.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

I still think Tua and Joe Burrow can be the same guy. Both undersized with average physical gifts. Tua is younger than Burrow, don't forget Burrow didn't do much until his 5th year at LSU. 

Hard to gauge what Tua will develop into.  He's also coming back from a tough injury and didnt play for awhile.  Add teh pressure of being a #1 pick, learning on the run etc etc and it's alot to handle. Fins aren't just going to dump him after his first year and no other team is going to take him off their hands right now either.  This all needs time to play out for Fins.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Statistically false.  

Based on the last 2 yrs, Sam is not better than anyone, statistical fact, not opinion 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

We really need one thread merged for Watson scuttlebutt till something actually happens.

I actually like all the little threads as is easier to read the main post and get the gist of what's going on. If we had one big Watson thread chances are these little tid bits go unseen. Perhaps that's a "me problem" though haha I don't have the patience to sift through a 30 page thread.

I do think someone is more likely to trade for Darnold than Tua.

I also think that Darnold/Tua and Watson are separate transactions, unless a team basically gives up a draft pick in return for the Texans taking Darnold’s/Tua’s contract to let them get beat up while the rookie learns.  

The Dolphins appear to have their act together, but the Tua pick seems like a mistake.  My guess is that the media pushed the owner to want it.  Watch the Jets and Watson.  Trading a pile of picks for Watson would be a Johnson move.  It should not take much more than the 2 pick for Watson and his contract. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I actually like all the little threads as is easier to read the main post and get the gist of what's going on. If we had one big Watson thread chances are these little tid bits go unseen. Perhaps that's a "me problem" though haha I don't have the patience to sift through a 30 page thread.

Yes, Please Mods don't merge all. 

Watson being traded will be the biggest trade in NFL history. Its being talked about everywhere. 

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

According  to Ustadium they don't want Darnold either . Would prefer to draft a QB  in the top 3.

If thats case the Jets are the number 1 option for trade. 

Assuming they also want ONLY draft picks Jets are the number 1 team to trade with. We really got a shot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

According  to Ustadium they don't want Darnold either . Would prefer to draft a QB  in the top 3.

This works out well for us then, Tua is the biggest part of the equation the Jets can't control. If it's picks they want, we beat the Phins there. The only curve ball would be if they are fine with QB #3 in the draft as opposed to a a choice between the two.

6 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Miami can throw in Howard their defensive player of the year nominee and some picks. Howard just signed a new agent and likely after the season he had, will want a pay raise 

Texans are completely starting over if they are trading away Watson, why would the Texans want a high priced 27 year old CB?

All they will want are picks and maybe a player on their rookie contract and even that is unlikely to be a big part of the deal.

51 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think people are underestimating what a destructive force Gase was in Darnold's development. It's why he was fired. It was clear that Douglas was looking at what he had, clearing cap space, compiling picks for a quick rebuild, and still fired Gase, because he saw that ruination.Some people will say Sam can't be fixed. Nobody on this board is in a position to say that

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Id rather have Sam with competent coaching than Tua.

Unbelievable. Darnold gets more excuses for his poor play than any QB I’ve ever seen just because he plays for the Jets. Yeah, the Jets are obviously an incompetent organization, but maybe at this point it’s time to accept the fact that he’s just not good enough to be a high quality starting QB?

4 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Unbelievable. Darnold gets more excuses for his poor play than any QB I’ve ever seen just because he plays for the Jets. Yeah, the Jets are obviously an incompetent organization, but maybe at this point it’s time to accept the fact that he’s just not good enough to be a high quality starting QB?

i think we're gonna hear how great darnold can be until the day he's traded in april.  douglas wants the biggest return and that's fine.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Barkus said:

If you were Houston what would you rather have 

Darnold and #2 pick + or

Tua and #3 pick +

Well considering that the #2 is simply more valuable than #3 from the get go that gives is a leg up if the QB's are equal.  This thread is funny and speaks to a lot to the impatience of today. Tua has had a handful of starts in the NFL and he's already a bust. Sam has literally not EVER had a QB coach as Bates and Gase decided they didn't need one, and he's a bust a 23 years old. 

The truth is a good offensive coaching staff would be excited to work with either imo, although Sam is clearly more damaged at the moment. He will more than likely need time to settle but he's still young and talented. 

• Post of the Week 1