Jets DC... Jeff Ulbrich

jetsons

Alright 4-3 under hybrid, cover 3 type defense confirmed. To the FA and Draft machine. I believe this will benefit Bless Austin and Bryce Hall who seem like good fits for the defense. 

We will need: 

5-Tech, single gap, traditional DEs

Every down LEO to line up in either 7 or 9 tech

Fast coverage LBS

Hybrid 4-3 SAM LB that can rush the passer and drop into coverage

To bring back Marcus Maye 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, PS17 said:

I’d love to see Quinnen develop a mean streak under these guys. I think he’s capable. 

Good point.  Q does seem almost too nice, maybe getting from very good to elite is developing that toughness.  Seems like we have the 2 guys to help him do it.

47 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Alright 4-3 under hybrid, cover 3 type defense confirmed. To the FA and Draft machine. I believe this will benefit Bless Austin and Bryce Hall who seem like good fits for the defense. 

We will need: 

Fast coverage LBS

It will be fun this offseason to discuss schemes on both sides of the ball, but there is a misconception out there that Saleh continued to run the Seattle cover 3 Def.  He really adapted over time in SF and didnt have one "single scheme" that he played.  

There was a great breakdown on him playing redzone defense where half the field was man and the other half was zone.

I think he will have the front four attacking vs read/react or stunting and will mix coverage behind them.

I also think John Franklin-Myers will be a key player in that he could be an excellent 4-3 DE on run downs and move inside next to Q on passing downs.  Then we do need to find that Leo-type DE on the other side.  Im not sure that players like Dupree or Judon fit in this scheme, but its possible that if passrushers with speed want to play here Saleh and Ulbricht will just figure it out.  Im also not sure if Mosley ever played in a 4-3

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

We will need: 

Fast coverage LBS

How do you see our current players fitting this system? QW, Fatusaki, FM, Shepherd, Anderson(gone). Mosley, Zuniga, Basham, Huff

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BCJet said:

It will be fun this offseason to discuss schemes on both sides of the ball, but there is a misconception out there that Saleh continued to run the Seattle cover 3 Def.  He really adapted over time in SF and didnt have one "single scheme" that he played.  

There was a great breakdown on him playing redzone defense where half the field was man and the other half was zone.

I think he will have the front four attacking vs read/react or stunting and will mix coverage behind them.

I also think John Franklin-Myers will be a key player in that he could be an excellent 4-3 DE on run downs and move inside next to Q on passing downs.  Then we do need to find that Leo-type DE on the other side.  Im not sure that players like Dupree or Judon fit in this scheme, but its possible that if passrushers with speed want to play here Saleh and Ulbricht will just figure it out.  Im also not sure if Mosley ever played in a 4-3

So I did some more research and Connor Hughes reported that Saleh doesn’t view his scheme as Seahawkish as it used to be. I looked into Ulbricht’s history too and saw similar influences to Saleh so I think we’ll strive for 4-3 (wide 9) base and 4-3 (under) and it’ll all be heavy zone coverage. 

20 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

How do you see our current players fitting this system? QW, Fatusaki, FM, Shepherd, Anderson(gone). Mosley, Zuniga, Basham, Huff

Just looking at it I think it’ll be this way.

Quinnen and Shepherd will mostly split reps at 3-tech and both will able to penetrate and will probably put up the best stats of the bunch. Unless Fatukasi gets a new running mate he’ll see an uptick in reps as a NT. It’s possible Q and Shepherd also play some NT but it’s almost wasteful. The same issue arises for JFM, who excelled as an undersized 3-tech on the inside this year. He’ll probably be made to run as an 5 or 7 tech next year  which he won’t be terrible at but it’s harder to beat tackles 1v1 than guards. The more 4-3 under the better for JFM, the more wide 9 the worse.

Huff and Zuniga are good fits for the two type of DEs we’ll need. Huff is a wide 9 fit and Zuniga can be the 5 tech, bull rushing at the tackle and locking up the strong side. 

Mosley is interesting because he’s been out of the game but he’s good at zone coverage. However, if he loses a step it’ll be clear because he has to cover so much more space now than in the last schemes. Blake Cashman is a guy that can excel in this scheme, if he can stay healthy. I doubt we bring back Hewitt at this point.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So I did some more research and Connor Hughes reported that Saleh doesn’t view his scheme as Seahawkish as it used to be. I looked into Ulbricht’s history too and saw similar influences to Saleh so I think we’ll strive for 4-3 (wide 9) base and 4-3 (under) and it’ll all be heavy zone coverage. 

Just looking at it I think it’ll be this way.

Quinnen and Shepherd will mostly split reps at 3-tech and both will able to penetrate and will probably put up the best stats of the bunch. Unless Fatukasi gets a new running mate he’ll see an uptick in reps as a NT. It’s possible Q and Shepherd also play some NT but it’s almost wasteful. The same issue arises for JFM, who excelled as an undersized 3-tech on the inside this year. He’ll probably be made to run as an 5 or 7 tech next year  which he won’t be terrible at but it’s harder to beat tackles 1v1 than guards. The more 4-3 under the better for JFM, the more wide 9 the worse.

Huff and Zuniga are good fits for the two type of DEs we’ll need. Huff is a wide 9 fit and Zuniga can be the 5 tech, bull rushing at the tackle and locking up the strong side. 

Mosley is interesting because he’s been out of the game but he’s good at zone coverage. However, if he loses a step it’ll be clear because he has to cover so much more space now than in the last schemes. Blake Cashman is a guy that can excel in this scheme, if he can stay healthy. I doubt we bring back Hewitt at this point.  

Setting aside the fact that Huff played well and Zuniga did nothing, Zuniga is a better "fit" in this defense at almost 270, while Huff at 255 is pretty small to be a 4-3 DE and is not a player that you want to gain weight.  The good thing about huff is that he played some coverage so hopefully his athleticism and versatility is something the coaches can use.

Id imagine Q and Fatukasi start as DTs as both can play the run and pass and then we move JFM inside on passing downs.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

We will need: 

Fast coverage LBS

So we only need 9 or so players on defense. Should be fine. 

19 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Setting aside the fact that Huff played well and Zuniga did nothing, Zuniga is a better "fit" in this defense at almost 270, while Huff at 255 is pretty small to be a 4-3 DE and is not a player that you want to gain weight.  The good thing about huff is that he played some coverage so hopefully his athleticism and versatility is something the coaches can use.

Id imagine Q and Fatukasi start as DTs as both can play the run and pass and then we move JFM inside on passing downs.

I think Huff could excel in a Robert Mathis, Jerry Hughes kind of way. He's the wide 9 fit on this team and could be used situationally as either the LEO or as the SAM over the TE. Zuniga, if he improves goes a long way towards helping the team, more likely we sign Kerry Hyder to do the job Zuniga is supposed to do.