4 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I just saw Dan Campbell's press conference, and my god, really reminded me of Rex Ryan lol. Hopefully Campbell has better luck than he did. 

Back to the thread, yeah, it does seem that Darnold is most likely a goner based on the responses they gave, but who knows yet. 

If Campbell goes to back to back championship games he will have a shrine made for him.  

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rewatching the press conference. Heard Saleh with Carton and Evan.   The answer to the Sam Darnold question(s) is: premeditated, pre rehearsed, calculated and strategic--all which were

Sam is gone.

I think ultimately we trade him.  We can probably get a 2nd + 4th or a 5th. Not bad. Zach Wilson would be the smart pick. Drafting a QB will also align the contracts for GM • HC • QB. That

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, genot said:

I trust Douglas and Saleh's judgement more than i trust yours. Can you blame me. I wish i can go back and pull up the post from everybody at the end of last year. Oh, lets get Sam more weapons. He had less this year, and all of a sudden this year has him turned into a bust

You probably trusted Macc's judgement more than mine as well as Tannenbaum's.  And yet...

As for necro'ing Sam Darnold posts, certainly, you can find plenty of people who's opinions changed over the course of this season.  And, how could you blame people.  He was exceptionally bad this year.  Not mine though.  Sam was so obviously terrible last season, and he wasn't good his rookie year.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Rewatching the press conference.

Heard Saleh with Carton and Evan.

The answer to the Sam Darnold question(s) is: premeditated, pre rehearsed, calculated and strategic--all which were most likely talked through several times with Joe Douglas and Johnson.  Make no mistake about it.

Mentioning, "there's a reason he was #3 pick in the draft" aka WE WANT A HIGH PICK FOR HIM WHEN WE TRADE HIM.

Mentioning, "I will speak about how we game planned for him when I was with SF" aka I WON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HIS FUTURE HERE--ONLY ABOUT THE PAST.  

Sam is a goner.  They want to trade him and they want AS MUCH FOR HIM AS POSSIBLE.

Well, you have a fifty percent chance of being right.

6 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

That's funny. Dude can't throw the ball over 30 yards down the field. 

move closer.

Sam's completion % needs to be up near 65%. The distance complaint is second to Sam's ability to hit windows and lead the receivers out of trouble; move the chains. Instead of using a speedy WR to pressure the defense, The Jets feature the running back first, and with Becton, they can run first to get favorable pass defense matchups. 

8 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

That's funny. Dude can't throw the ball over 30 yards down the field. 

1:35 seconds

i dont have time to find his jets long throws because i'd have to look through too many videos of him running for his life and throwing on the run to a bunch of nobodys.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BloodGreen said:

He has to be neutral when it comes to Darnold, and it makes perfect sense. If they confirm he is staying, then the potential value of the #2 pick in a trade package is lower. If they say he is definitely out, then they tip their hand about their intention with #2 pick. Even worse, if they say he’s out and they are back door dealing for Watson, then his trade price skyrockets. Anything they do other than speak in very broad general terms, weakens all of their potential positions.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It amazes me that any well informed message board fan could have any other take on our Sam situation than this.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, genot said:

We've been through this before. He's 23 yrs old . was the youngest QB ever to start in NFL history. He has had no dedicated QB coach since he's been here. When you think about that, it's mind boggling. Our new HC is the real deal. No more weirdness.

If Sam is a secret-FQB-in-hiding, what would a genuinely bad QB have done in last 3 years? Throw for negative yards?

• Like 1

and? did anyone think he was going say anything much different about darnold with the jets holding the no. 2 pick in the draft and without having a chance to evaluate the team he just got?  i suppose people can read into these statements meaning darnold is a goner but then saleh wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't evaluate every player.  as for the way he game planned, it's not like he was just game planning for darnold.  bell wasn't there. either  darnold actually had a decent game against saleh's defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

and? did anyone think he was going say anything much different about darnold with the jets holding the no. 2 pick in the draft and without having a chance to evaluate the team he just got?  i suppose people can read into these statements meaning darnold is a goner but then saleh wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't evaluate every player.  as for the way he game planned, it's not like he was just game planning for darnold.  bell was there and he ran okay.  darnold actually had a decent game against saleh's defense.

Wasn't that the game where the starting WRs were Berrios, Hogan and Smith (the lesser)?

• Like 1

Listening to Saleh on Boomer and Gio. Much deeper dive on Sam than yesterday.

He went into detail about the system and how it helps QBs and ran off a list from Tannehill to Rodgers (having a renaissance).  

Everything still on the table but it really does sound like they are comfortable going with Sam this year - if that is what the organizational decision is at the end of the process.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Wasn't that the game where the starting WRs were Berrios, Hogan and Smith (the lesser)?

i believe you are right.  berrios caught a td in the fourth quarter.  perriman was in as was herndon.  bell wasn't in the game.  he was out until week 5.  the rushing was by ballage, malone, gore and perrine.

10 hours ago, TeddEY said:

You probably trusted Macc's judgement more than mine as well as Tannenbaum's.  And yet...

As for necro'ing Sam Darnold posts, certainly, you can find plenty of people who's opinions changed over the course of this season.  And, how could you blame people.  He was exceptionally bad this year.  Not mine though.  Sam was so obviously terrible last season, and he wasn't good his rookie year.

I can say I was in the Sam is really good but the Jets screwed him camp.  And kinda still am..

But no doubt this season changed my mind a lot - he was absolutely awful.  When he had time or a full compliment of receivers he just continued to make stupid decisions and often very inaccurate throws.

Honestly, he was much more accurate his rookie year...made dumb throws but was a better QB two years ago than he is now.

Sam might end up being good somewhere else but needs to be somewhere else and take a year to regroup.

• Upvote 3
44 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Listening to Saleh on Boomer and Gio. Much deeper dive on Sam than yesterday.

He went into detail about the system and how it helps QBs and ran off a list from Tannehill to Rodgers (having a renaissance).  

Everything still on the table but it really does sound like they are comfortable going with Sam this year - if that is what the organizational decision is at the end of the process.

Sam will be traded and the Jets will take a QB at 2.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sam will be traded and the Jets will take a QB at 2.

I wish BetMGM was offering odds on all the possible Sam outcomes,

I still think it 50/50 he stays.

If he goes, I think it far more likely it's because he was traded to the Texans with picks for Watson. 

I will be surprised if they draft a QB #2.  Actually, I would be shocked.

13 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

If he goes, I think it far more likely it's because he was traded to the Texans with picks for Watson. 

The reality is Saleh is talking about how he needs to do his due diligence on Sam and needs his coaches to review etc..before he makes any decisions.

When they do they are going to see the QB we all saw this year and there's simply no way he's going to roll the dice on him.  He will draft Wilson.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The reality is Saleh is talking about how he needs to do his due diligence on Sam and needs his coaches to review etc..before he makes any decisions.

When they do they are going to see the QB we all saw this year and there's simply no way he's going to roll the dice on him.  He will draft Wilson.

Which is why we will see Green Fields on Sunday's 

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We shall see. But I think a lot of people on this board are going to be disappointed. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Which is why we will see Green Fields on Sunday's 

I still say it's Wilson, certainly could be fields though....Wilson looks and plays a lot like Rodgers (not saying he'll be as good)....Saleh's best friend is GB's HC and our OC is GB's HC's brother.

They know that skill-set translates incredibly well to their system.   IMO, Wilson at 2 is the most likely scenario right now.

I am quite certain it won't be Sam.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

We shall see. But I think a lot of people on this board are going to be disappointed. 

Which is part of the reason why it won't happen.  I know JD and RS are going to say it doesn't matter what the fans think.

But self preservation is something that will always trump anything else - I don't care who you are!

If they bring Sam back and he doesn't look good early - the Saleh/Douglas honeymoon will be over very quickly.  There will be no growing pains allowed with Sam.  You'll start hearing calls for RS/JD's heads by week 5.

With a rookie they'll get two years.  5 weeks vs. 2 years - at the end of the day they'll decide on 2 years.

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Rewatching the press conference.

Heard Saleh with Carton and Evan.

The answer to the Sam Darnold question(s) is: premeditated, pre rehearsed, calculated and strategic--all which were most likely talked through several times with Joe Douglas and Johnson.  Make no mistake about it.

Mentioning, "there's a reason he was #3 pick in the draft" aka WE WANT A HIGH PICK FOR HIM WHEN WE TRADE HIM.

Mentioning, "I will speak about how we game planned for him when I was with SF" aka I WON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HIS FUTURE HERE--ONLY ABOUT THE PAST.  

Sam is a goner.  They want to trade him and they want AS MUCH FOR HIM AS POSSIBLE.

not exactly.  listen to the whole thing again.  saleh is saying he was the third pick because he possesses attributes needed to play qb.  i'm not saying that darnold should remain qb but saleh has to evaluate the team and the players for himself.  and darnold didn't have that bad of a game, stat wise, in the sf game.  and this with hogan, berrios, perriman, and herndon as his receivers and a back field of ballage, gore, malone and perrine.  not exactly an offensive juggernaut.

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There doesnt even need to be a thread about this.  Joe D and Saleh are NOT putting their reputations and jobs on the line for darnold.  

Hes awful!!!!

Saleh and Douglas are smart people.  They dont want this kid anywhere near this franchise.

The only people who think Darnold is coming back are jets fans who bought his jetsey and have his bobblehead on their dresser.

It could always be worse...or would it?

D0E40694-95FE-409D-94C0-5CEB5C4FB584.jpeg

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Which is part of the reason why it won't happen.  I know JD and RS are going to say it doesn't matter what the fans think.

But self preservation is something that will always trump anything else - I don't care who you are!

If they bring Sam back and he doesn't look good early - the Saleh/Douglas honeymoon will be over very quickly.  There will be no growing pains allowed with Sam.  You'll start hearing calls for RS/JD's heads by week 5.

With a rookie they'll get two years.  5 weeks vs. 2 years - at the end of the day they'll decide on 2 years.

You're overestimating anti-Sam sentiment.

There are enough fans that think it's fine to run it back with Sam and see what he can do while deploying draft capital across the team.

They HAD to fire Gase. They don't have to trade Sam.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Changing your mind as new information becomes available is what smart people do.

I think he performed worse this year, but I don't see the downturn from his rookie season as all that meaningful.  I think that ultimately, we got a bit two excited about two games out of four, after he came back from injury.  But, he was a bottom 3 QB that year too.

My gut tells me that the Jets are riding with Darnold rather than a QB in the draft. If they can swing a deal for Watson (unlikely) that's another story. If my gut is right (and it's only batting about .500), my hope is that minor improvements in Sam's mechanic's and how he goes about his pre-snap reads will result in major improvements in results. A QB who completes 17 out of every 30 passes has only a 57% completion rate. Only 3 more completed passes out of every 30 gets him to 67%.  

Like I said, this is my HOPE, IF the jets decide to ride with Sam.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I still say it's Wilson, certainly could be fields though....Wilson looks and plays a lot like Rodgers (not saying he'll be as good)....Saleh's best friend is GB's HC and our OC is GB's HC's brother.

They know that skill-set translates incredibly well to their system.   IMO, Wilson at 2 is the most likely scenario right now.

I am quite certain it won't be Sam.

I would prefer Fields I think the perception that he's not a fit to the Shanahan type offense is a vast over statement .

I would be ok with Wilson I'm just not convinced he faced enough quality defenses to fully judge him.

And I fully agree I hope it is not Sam . 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

There are enough fans that think it's fine to run it back with Sam and see what he can do while deploying draft capital across the team.

I've just about had it with all your calm, well thought-out, non-knee-jerk, not know-it-all posts in this thread... 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I'm sort of leaning that way too.  If I were setting odds I'd say rolling with Darnold, get a legit QB2 to compete, and trade out of #2 is most likely given JD's DNA.  Next most likely would be Watson if a deal can be worked out with Houston.  Least likely IMO is Fields/Wilson at #2

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, jgb said:

If Sam is a secret-FQB-in-hiding, what would a genuinely bad QB have done in last 3 years? Throw for negative yards?

No no no  - a consistently B A D quarterback would be in and out of the lineup, and clearly to blame for the losses. Sam didn't call Cover Zero on Derik Carr, did he? Sam has struggled to be available at times, but shows plenty to build on. Coach Saleh bet his professional credibility on affirming that Darnold is worthy of being a top pick; that should be enough for us.

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

People will be looking for someone to blame.  Sam sticking around will cause enough outrage that it will move opinion.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This, the crazy part is if you put 99.9% of the Darnold stans in JD’s position they wouldn’t keep Darnold either. 

not like anyone would admit this though 

• Upvote 1