Pass rushers & a #1 CB

Jetster

Defenses can change on a dime with the right people & good coaching. Obviously this team has had offensive issues for a really long time but the issues on defense were the reason we lost vs Denver, Patriots, Raiders, games where we needed just 1 stop & couldn't get it. 

I absolutely love our Dline. It's one of the best young Dlines in the league led by QW who will be a beast in 2021. How JD & Saleh approach fixing this defense along with the Shanahan stretch running scheme are the 2 most important parts of our future outside of our QB.

Im sure Saleh has been in touch with CJ Mosely & if not it's coming soon. Let's assume he can get back to playing well. How do we fix this defense? I think there are a myriad of different ways to do this but the most important positions of need are #1 CB & Pass rushers. 

I believe they resign Marcus Maye. My hope is a Marshon Lattimore trade (that would be a huge get & instantly upgrade the secondary hugely with letting Hall, Bless fight it out for the #2 spot? Or Saleh might have someone he wants from the 49ers. 

After that it's all about the edge pass rush. Curious to hear fans ideas regarding who they believe would work in a 4/3 and who's available in free agents or maybe a trade with a cap strapped team. Jets solve those issues with their tough young Dline they could easily turn this defense around with Salehs all gas no brake mantra. I can't wait to see a more physical team like the 49ers. They beat the sh*t out of us physically last year & almost 1/2 their team was injured or got injured in that game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

Trading down will afford the jets the necessary capital to draft such players... there are several very good pass rushers & cb's in this draft. 

This draft isnt great at CB and a lot of the good players who will be available in the second round are slot corners.  We are able to bring back Brian Poole in that spot but also got good production from UDFA Javelin Guidry in the slot and I think he will be a depth piece at minimum.  It also seems like Richard Sherman wants to join Saleh and he would be a great CB to play across from Hall who will definitely be a starter. 

They will need a traditional 4-3 DE and while he fits the mold physically, Zuniga gave no indication he can be counted on. I definitely think we use 2-3rd round pick on a DE, with a guy like Tarron Jackson from Coastal Carolina being a good fit.

Just now, BCJet said:

This draft isnt great at CB and a lot of the good players who will be available in the second round are slot corners.  We are able to bring back Brian Poole in that spot but also got good production from UDFA Javelin Guidry in the slot and I think he will be a depth piece at minimum.  It also seems like Richard Sherman wants to join Saleh and he would be a great CB to play across from Hall who will definitely be a starter. 

They will need a traditional 4-3 DE and while he fits the mold physically, Zuniga gave no indication he can be counted on. I definitely think we use 2-3rd round pick on a DE, with a guy like Tarron Jackson from Coastal Carolina being a good fit.

Farley, Surtain, Horn, Campbell, Stokes, Samuel... just naming a few cb's who have a 1st / 2nd rd grade... their are several other good ones available later in the draft... their are several de's as well that are worthy of a 1st / 2nd rd grade.... more than enough for the jets to improve at those positions... all on rookie contracts. 

• Upvote 1

So first I'll say even if the Jets switch to a 4-3 AND release Henry Anderson they don't need to raft a Pass Rushing DE high. They STILL have someone who can step in and fill that role. Fatukasi/Shepherd, Q on the inside, Phillips and re-sign Franklin-Myers. The rest can be rotational and depth low-end FAs. 

What the Jets really need is impact LBs. Even if they re-sign Hewitt an/or Peanut (which they should), to play alongside or as depth for CJ. They desperately need that IMPACT edge OLB. Basham was underwhelming, Jenkins was disappointing, and both are Free Agents. Zuniga is a huge question mark.

This guy has to be versatile. He has to be able to line up with his hand in the dirt, he has to have some ability to cover and he has to be stout against the run.

In FA I really like Bud Dupree from the Steelers to fill that role. In the draft I really like Zaven Collins out of Tulsa to fill that role. We would have to take him with Seattles pick because I don't see him falling to Rd. 2 and if he has a stellar combine he could even go in the late teens. 

I agree about the CB position. Once you get passed Farley, Surtan II and Horn there don't seem to be any 1st round ranked CBs that you could consider plug and play starters on the outside. I don't feel comfortable taking a CB early in this draft. I'd rather take  chance later in the draft on a developmental prospect. Of course, if Farley falls to the Seattle pick you have to consider it but he's more likely to go in the top 10 as a team like the Broncos reach for secondary help than for him to free fall.  

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

So first I'll say even if the Jets switch to a 4-3 AND release Henry Anderson they don't need to raft a Pass Rushing DE high. They STILL have someone who can step in and fill that role. Fatukasi/Shepherd, Q on the inside, Phillips and re-sign Franklin-Myers. The rest can be rotational and depth low-end FAs. 

What the Jets really need is impact LBs. Even if they re-sign Hewitt an/or Peanut (which they should), to play alongside or as depth for CJ. They desperately need that IMPACT edge OLB. Basham was underwhelming, Jenkins was disappointing, and both are Free Agents. Zuniga is a huge question mark.

This guy has to be versatile. He has to be able to line up with his hand in the dirt, he has to have some ability to cover and he has to be stout against the run.

In FA I really like Bud Dupree from the Steelers to fill that role. In the draft I really like Zaven Collins out of Tulsa to fill that role. We would have to take him with Seattles pick because I don't see him falling to Rd. 2 and if he has a stellar combine he could even go in the late teens. 

I agree about the CB position. Once you get passed Farley, Surtan II and Horn there don't seem to be any 1st round ranked CBs that you could consider plug and play starters on the outside. I don't feel comfortable taking a CB early in this draft. I'd rather take  chance later in the draft on a developmental prospect. Of course, if Farley falls to the Seattle pick you have to consider it but he's more likely to go in the top 10 as a team like the Broncos reach for secondary help than for him to free fall.  

What you’re describing is a 3-4 OLB.   The Jets are switching to a conventional 4-3 on 1st and 2nd downs.   The priority is a pure edge rusher, someone that can line up at DE and get to the QB.   Sure, having some versatility with the LBers is nice, but the priority should be Edge rusher.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

Trading down will afford the jets the necessary capital to draft such players... there are several very good pass rushers & cb's in this draft. 

There are not many good CBs beyond the 1st round this year. CB pool is poor in the draft compared to other years so value is low. 

on flip side though this draft is deep in OL (very deep), Edge, WR which is still good for us 

edit:: just realized this was brought up already my B

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barkus said:

Leonard Floyd is a FA, I liked him in the draft and he had 10sacks last yr teaming with Aaron Donald. He is still young and would make a nice pairing with quinnen and foley on the inside.

Like this guy, has that “look” of a 4-3 DE

I like the idea of looking for #1 CB & Edge in either free agency or by trade with a team hemorrhaging under the cap. 

You make a trade for a guy like Lattimore & sign a Dupree or Floyd & everything else just falls into place. Rush speeds up the QB, Lattimore shuts down #1 option, allowing double & tight coverage everywhere else, as the tough young Dline collapses the pocket. (bust potential is huge at those positions), but not as bad on Oline or WR. 

7 hours ago, PepPep said:

Also like to see Luvu and Huff get some opportunities on the Edge in this Defense.

Robert Saleh’s first big step with the NY Jets was relinquishing play-calling duties

Saleh’s first big step in assuming the CEO role is his decision to relinquish play-calling duties on defense. Instead, one of his former colleagues in Seattle, Jeff Ulbrich, has been brought on board to assume those responsibilities.

Saleh will certainly have input in the Jets’ new 4-3 defense. In fact, in interviews since the announcement of Ulbrich’s hire as defensive coordinator, Saleh has said that he will be installing the defense that he coached in San Francisco.

So Ulbrich will be working off of Saleh’s scheme and sharing the same outlook on the types of players needed to flourish within it. Ultimately, It will be Saleh’s vision on defense, but he won’t be calling the plays.

This is not always the course of action that coordinators turned head coaches have taken over the years.

Some NFL teams have what you could call a ‘CINO’ on their staff. A coordinator in name only, where the head coach will call plays on one side of the ball and have control over an entire unit, despite having a coach whose job title dictates that they are supposed to.

Rightfully or wrongly, most likely the latter, some analysts have surmised that the current situation with Eric Bieniemy and Andy Reid in Kansas City would fit that description.

Defensive play-calling is where Saleh has earned his stripes in the NFL. And Saleh is coming off arguably his best season as a coordinator in 2020, where he led a 49ers defense ranked near the top of many defensive categories.

It’s an impressive feat considering the amount of star defensive players he lost before and during the season.

The lazy and uninformed take on Saleh not calling plays for the defense would be to surmise that the Jets hired someone whose best trait was calling plays on defense, but yet he won’t be doing that for them.

In fact, even some of the Jets fanbase may have some level of pause when they heard that Saleh would not be calling the plays on defense. After all, Jets fans have seen this movie before, although many have erased it from their memory banks.

Back when Rex Ryan was fired, Gang Green hired Todd Bowles to be their head coach, who at the time was the hot assistant as the Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator.

In 2014, the Associated Press voted Bowles as the NFL Assistant Coach of the Year. And with good reason — Bowles’ creative and aggressive 3-4 defense for the Cardinals was among the very best in the league.

But when Bowles made his way to the Jets, he entrusted Kacy Rodgers as his defensive coordinator.

From 2015-2018, the Jets defense never duplicated what Bowles’ defenses did in Arizona. Mainly because, although Bowles had input in the Jets defense, he never fully assumed the controls.

Rodgers is a well-respected longtime defensive line coach, but to put it kindly, Rodgers play-calling as Jets defensive coordinator was not on the same level as his boss.

Fast forward to the present day, and Rodgers and Bowles are together now in Tampa, Rodgers as the Bucs defensive line coach, and Bowles is back as a coordinator, doing what he does best — something he didn’t do with the Jets.

The Buccaneers boast one of the league’s best defenses as they prepare for Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship Game this weekend.

So what’s to stop Robert Saleh from following the same failed path that Todd Bowles did when he became the Jets head coach and relinquished his play-calling duties on defense.

Well, there may be some similarities between Bowles and Saleh. However, there’s evidence that suggests that Saleh will be more successful based on his evolution as a coach during his time with the Niners.

Those who followed Saleh in San Francisco closely know that the Jets’ newly-minted head coach has a history of leaning on his assistants for not just input, but in altering the entire design of the defense.

So much so that the 49ers’ defensive success and turnaround in 2019 was a product of Saleh taking advice from his defensive staff.

Back in 2019, then 49ers defensive backs coach Joe Woods and assistants Kris Kocurek and Chris Kiffin, helped Saleh adjust his single high Cover 3 scheme defense to a Wide 9 base alignment implementing more traditional Cover 2 schemes with both safeties playing deep.

The changes also helped the 49ers’ defense take advantage of Fred Warner’s superb coverage skills.

Saleh’s defenses from 2017 to 2020 experienced a huge transformation, and it was because of his willingness to do what’s best for the overall team that made him a better coach.

Many coaches are stubborn and one-dimensional and will stick to what they know best, but Saleh, in San Francisco, showed that he not only had faith in the people he was working with but knew how to put together the best ideas to bring forth success.

The 49ers’ defense evolved, and in turn, so did Robert Saleh.

• Upvote 1