Mock with Deshaun Watson trade.

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

JJ Watt probably wants out, and would save $17.5M if traded/cut (with no dead money involved).  I'd take him off their hands in a heartbeat.  Though I'm sure there would be outright fan mutiny if the Texans traded Watson and Watt on the same day.

Other options:  Whitney Mercilus, who turns 31 in July.  $7.5M in savings with a $4.5M dead cap hit.  David Johnson is another; he'd save them $8.8M in a trade.

I'm not so sure David Johnson wouldn't  be Bell 2.0

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not so sure David Johnson wouldn't  be Bell 2.0

No doubt he wouldn't be of much use to the Jets, but if it helps make the trade for Watson happen, I'm all for him being in the deal.  We can always cut Johnson after if we so choose, with a minimal dead cap hit.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I'm not sure I like this mock after the trade. 

One of Watson's key gripes with Houston is losing all his playmakers...so we're going to convince Watson to waive his no trade clause because things will be different here....then we don't go offensive skill position until the 4th round in this mock?

The problem with looking at just a mock draft plan/idea is it ignores the preceding FA period as though it won't exist.

The Jets are signing a good-to-great starting WR in FA. He'll get 2-3 seasons guaranteed. After that if he's still playing at a high level he's kept, and if not then by then there should have been 2-3 drafts worth of pipeline investment so cutting him won't automatically result in the hole we have to day.  Or anyway, that'd be the plan; after that it's a matter of which player(s) we draft. 

Regardless, such a plan doesn't require a day 1 or day 2 pick on a WR in 2021. Honestly if I was Watson I would far prefer a FA addition to a fingers-crossed hope we strike gold with a WR pick who's lights-out as a rookie, instead of the far better odds of using that on a young iOL pick, after also hopefully grabbing at least one of the better OL FAs.

Don't discount how much both Watson and a well-regarded new HC can make our offers more appealing than comparable offers from elsewhere. It'd be the opposite of what we've had for years, where we needed to offer the likes of Seattle's backup/swing tackle $9MM/year to come here. 

• Upvote 1