Jump to content

Ignore expensive FA RBs and don't draft a RB in the first 2 rounds


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Jets are going to improve their rushing attack even without a dramatic upgrade at RB.  It's all about the system, the blocking talent (OL, TE, FB) and having a reasonable passing threat. Here

So u say dont take a running back high in the draft then post a list showing: dobbins, chubb, henry, sanders, cook, taylor, jones etc who were all high draft picks. hahahahahahahaha

The NY Jets RB corps is terrible its been terrible for years.  A good passing game benefits from a good running game and our passing game needs all the help it can get.  If Etienne or Harris

Posted Images

Agree 100%, especially in the Shanahan WCO offense. As much as everyone wants Najee or Etienne, or whoever the RB's in the Lafleur blocking scheme are going to be dime a dozen. Would be way better off drafting or spending money on IOL 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So.Michael Carter in the 3rd?  If he, Eteinne and Harris are gone by then, you would select?  This team NEEDS an upgrade at running back. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So u say dont take a running back high in the draft then post a list showing: dobbins, chubb, henry, sanders, cook, taylor, jones etc who were all high draft picks.

hahahahahahahaha

Pick one no lower than third

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

So.Michael Carter in the 3rd?  If he, Eteinne and Harris are gone by then, you would select?  This team NEEDS an upgrade at running back. 

There are at least 3 or 4 RBs outside the first two rounds that the Jets could consider.  I just don't see JD using valuable picks like 2, 23, 34 on a RB.  Those should be earmarked for premium positions like QB, Edge Rusher, OT, CB.  By the way, we could use like all of those positions! lol

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets are going to improve their rushing attack even without a dramatic upgrade at RB.  It's all about the system, the blocking talent (OL, TE, FB) and having a reasonable passing threat.

Here's an eye opener... Of all the guys with 100+ carries this year (RBs, backup RBs, even QBs) did you know that 5 of the Top 16 guys in Yards per Attempt came from just two teams, Baltimore and (drum roll please) San Francisco.

How many people here (without looking) would have guessed that guys like JK Dobbins, Jeff Wilson, Raheem Mostert, and Gus Edwards absolutely buried other RBs like Ezekiel Elliott, Kareem Hunt, Josh Jacobs, James Connor, David Montgomery, Cam Akers, etc.?   I'm shaking my head too....because I wouldn't have guessed that.

When your offense is lighting up opponents in the running game using a variety of ball carriers it tells you immediately that it's about the system more than who is toting the rock!

I'm thrilled that along with Mike LaFleur the Jets snatched John Benton to be the OLine Coach and Running Game Coordinator.  The first thing this new O is going to do is work on installing a new rushing scheme.

As much as I love prospects like Travis Etienne and Najee Harris..... I simply don't think the Jets want, nor need to use the kind of draft capital it would take to get them (#23 or 34).

If I'm the Jets I'd hang on to Ty Johnson, we know Perine will be back, and I'd target a RB like Jeff Wilson from SF in free agency both for his ability and his familiarity with the system.  Similar to bringing in CJ Beathard for backup QB, he could help instantiate the running game principles here.

 

1804321851_ScreenShot2021-01-22at12_40_08PM.png.a0922a4ffadc7d30836f7836ab080e46.png

AA99A7AB-D603-43F3-92B6-0795AE3A93C5.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So u say dont take a running back high in the draft then post a list showing: dobbins, chubb, henry, sanders, cook, taylor, jones etc who were all high draft picks.

hahahahahahahaha

Ha!  Fair point.  Let me be a little more clear.... I'm talking about the Jets 1st and 2nd round picks this year.  If we were picking 63rd rather than 34th I'd be flexible, but I'm just saying this team, in the condition it's in right now, shouldn't use a Top 34 pick on RB.  Again, my opinion, and I'm factoring in the multitude of other needs this team has.  An early RB is a bit of a luxury.... teams that can protect their QB, complete passes down the field, rush and sack the opponent's passer, defend the opponent's WR down the field should be using 1st and 2nd round picks on a RB.  But we don't any of those four important things well enough yet to be spending valuable picks on a RB.  It seems like a 2022 or 2023 kinda pick for the Jets.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Icer said:

Agree 100%, especially in the Shanahan WCO offense. As much as everyone wants Najee or Etienne, or whoever the RB's in the Lafleur blocking scheme are going to be dime a dozen. Would be way better off drafting or spending money on IOL 

who was the running back in denver who always saluted when he scored a td?  i don't think it was terrel davis.  but they sure had a strech where they found running backs and just plugged them in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends what else they do. If they sink multiple high picks on Watson, I think individual RB prowess is less important than securing the OL. If there's room to run, aided by both a serious passing attack and an average or better OL, then almost any of these fast young athletes can have enough success running it to get by for at least the upcoming season.

If they keep all their picks - particularly if they trade down from #2 - I'm less averse to the idea of using a high 2nd or even a later 1st on a really extra-talented back. 

I do agree on not using one on a RB way up there in the draft, particularly on a team with this many holes. I'm not a fan of starting a rebuild with an oft-injured position that doubly carries a shorter career playing at an elite level (there are exceptions, but you don't know which will be those exceptions on draft day).

The top RB prospects all look great & unstoppable on draft day. Then we see Barkley - as talented as a RB can be - held to 10 yards and 1 yard in 2 of his starts last year even when young & healthy. Chubb was drafted a full round later and has plenty more yards (including a good half-yard advantage in terms of ypc). Thomas Jones looked like nothing with Arizona after they drafted him, and even years later when we first got him he was durable and a solid veteran, but was meh after handing off to him. Then the line gets built up and suddenly on the wrong side of 30 he put up more rushing yards & TDs per season than Barkley's seen in any of his first 3 seasons. 

All things being equal? Yeah I'd rather have both: upper level individual talent, running behind a great OL. All other things are rarely equal, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Breida from Miami.  He's played in that Shanny offense already and had some success

No more re-treads and other teams garbage at the RB position here. 

Frank Gore should have been enough of a failure for everyone to realize this formula  needs to end. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Jamal Williams to go along with Perine and Johnson would be a good fit in my opinion

Jamal is not a good fit in a shanny system. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, just gonna put on my snooty SOB hat--

Jets just need to listen to me:

  • Paradis in 2020 - Jets should target a late round guy like James Robinson
  • Paradis in 2019 - Jets shouldn't have spent money on Bell. Lots of mid round guys like Singletary and D Harris
  • Paradis in 2018 - Jets should restock by taking a later guy like Chase Edmonds or Jeff Wilson
  • Paradis in 2017 - There's feature backs to be had in the mid-to late rounds; K. Hunt, A. Jones

etc 

etc

Joe-- call me

tenor.gif?itemid=7472084

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Mostert runs 4.4 flat. McKinnon runs 4.4 flat. Coleman runs 4.4 flat. This is the Clinton Portis-era Madden rushing offense. They're not even looking at Etienne or Harris.

Colmean is a free agent, he could slide right in to our offense

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No more re-treads and other teams garbage at the RB position here. 

Frank Gore should have been enough of a failure for everyone to realize this formula  needs to end. 

A 25 year old Brieda is not the same thing as Gore and he has familiarity with the system. You can't go into the season with a mid round rookie,  Perine and Johnson who both have limited playing experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Jamal is not a good fit in a shanny system. 

LaFleur runs a Shanahan offense in GB. His brother will run a very similar offense here. He'll have scheme familiarity. 

He had 500 yards, 4.2 ypc and 31 rec in a backup role. Plus he adds a power element to the running game that Johnson and Perine don't offer.  He makes a ton of sense and I think LaFleur will push for him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, choon328 said:

LaFleur runs a Shanahan offense in GB. His brother will run a very similar offense here. He'll have scheme familiarity. 

yes, that doesn't mean Jamal is any good at it. 

Jamal is a JAG who offers some mediocre upside near the goal line & in pass pro/receiving on 3rd downs. He's as boring as he was coming out of BYU

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, choon328 said:

A 25 year old Brieda is not the same thing as Gore and he has familiarity with the system. You can't go into the season with a mid round rookie,  Perine and Johnson who both have limited playing experience. 

Matt Breida is one of the only veterans worth spending money on this year. He would be a wise investment. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

So.Michael Carter in the 3rd?  If he, Eteinne and Harris are gone by then, you would select?  This team NEEDS an upgrade at running back. 

Stop trotting washed up guys out there and the team HAS improved at running back.  Everybody is looking for splash players, but I think you can expect them to sign a guy that they know and roll with some young no-names.  Everybody is thinking Wilson but I think he is an RFA.  Breida is another option, but I think they may go Jerick McKinnon.  He was considered a big get when he got to SF.,  They got nothing for their money, but he proved healthy this year.  He may be the kind of vet that knows the system to be a good floor and example for the others. OTOH, maybe he lost is burst and is another of the washed up guys I am complaining about.  I would hope that these guys know which, but that hasn't been the case with past coaches (Gase/Gore).

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a tough topic, one in which  there may not be an iron clad right answer.

On the one hand we are going to be playing a system where low resource backs have flourished in the past and at least do well.

On the other hand I watch guys like Kamarra and Cook and Henry and such who make a massive difference every single week.  None of those guys went as high as 23 but are all worthy of that draft spot. 

As with all things 'it depends who else is on the board' at that time.

I would not go looking for a RB at 23 for sure.  I also would not eliminate a RB at 23.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stop trotting washed up guys out there and the team HAS improved at running back.  Everybody is looking for splash players, but I think you can expect them to sign a guy that they know and roll with some young no-names.  Everybody is thinking Wilson but I think he is an RFA.  Breida is another option, but I think they may go Jerick McKinnon.  He was considered a big get when he got to SF.,  They got nothing for their money, but he proved healthy this year.  He may be the kind of vet that knows the system to be a good floor and example for the others. OTOH, maybe he lost is burst and is another of the washed up guys I am complaining about.  I would hope that these guys know which, but that hasn't been the case with past coaches (Gase/Gore).

small fact -- both Breida and McKinnon played at Georgia Southern - the former succeeding the latter at the position, though J.M. was like a full time wildcat operator. I was a big fan.

But yea,  they're both likely to fetch similar money. I would take the younger Breida... tbh honest -- we probably want to take the pressure of the QB in 2021, so maybe sign both (won't cost much) and draft a young buck... If Ty can outplay MB/JM, he can steal their roster spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...