Texans Interview Josh McCown for HC position

choon328

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think even giving McCown an interview is such an affront to the hiring process that Watson should demand a trade tonight. 

I have to imagine he’s the one suggesting it. Like Lebron with Ty Lue and Kd with Nash. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, it actually could be exactly what Watson wants.  A former QB, recognized as a good guy by all.  Smart, long career.  Understands players etc.n. Does Watson know him?

We really don't know the motivations of even bringing him in.

True.

But if we take at face value the fact that Watson is concerned about the discrimination factor in terms of the Texans, AND he is upset they didn’t bring in Bienemy originally based on personal recommendations that Watson had received about his coaching ability, and his history of success.

If the Texans then hire a white HC with zero coaching experience, over the black HC with buckets of coaching experience and personal recommendations, who Watson supports...

....it isn’t too big of a jump to think Watson might not be happy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I have to imagine he’s the one suggesting it. Like Lebron with Ty Lue and Kd with Nash. 

Maybe? But given what we know about his *alleged* demands for the process to include minority candidates, hard to imagine that he’d be cool with this clear slight of Bieniemy, etc. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Pretty succinct. Even outside of the race issue, there are a looooot of dudes who have been grinding for decades for a shot at a coaching job, and for a guy like McCown to get interviewed for the big chair? Yikes. 

Maybe he’s being thrown a bone to get interviewing experience. He’s obviously well liked. Kind of like the silver lining of the Rooney Rule for coaching candidates. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Maybe he’s being thrown a bone to get interviewing experience. He’s obviously well liked. Kind of like the silver lining of the Rooney Rule for coaching candidates. 

That would be a massive bone, and on a team whose front office is already supposed to a dumpster fire. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The faith part. 

Maybe my reading comprehension isn’t up to par with you NYers, but I’m not understanding what faith has to do with this. Faith in what? McCown as an HC? Faith religiously speaking? It was weirdly worded for me.

Clearly he was talking about religion. 

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pretty succinct. Even outside of the race issue, there are a looooot of dudes who have been grinding for decades for a shot at a coaching job, and for a guy like McCown to get interviewed for the big chair? Yikes. 

Yeah but isn’t this what we are trying to change here?  He isn’t part of the “club” yet because he hasn’t put in his dues?  There is no line it’s either qualified or not, no more giving jobs to guys because they grinder for years and get the gig undeserving just because he is known commodity to the good old boys club.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

The faith part. 

Maybe my reading comprehension isn’t up to par with you NYers, but I’m not understanding what faith has to do with this. Faith in what? McCown as an HC? Faith religiously speaking? It was weirdly worded for me.

My guy, don't look too deep into it. He's clearly talking about religion lol.

As a follower of Christ, the foundation of our spirituality is faith. And Josh McCown is a follower in Christ as well. So both the Texans owner and McCown are big in faith

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, morny said:

True.

But if we take at face value the fact that Watson is concerned about the discrimination factor in terms of the Texans, AND he is upset they didn’t bring in Bienemy originally based on personal recommendations that Watson had received about his coaching ability, and his history of success.

If the Texans then hire a white HC with zero coaching experience, over the black HC with buckets of coaching experience and personal recommendations, who Watson supports...

....it isn’t too big of a jump to think Watson might not be happy.

If this is the case it would almost have to be out of spite at this point.  

Saleh was on Watsons list. It’s not all about race. 

if you’re correct - and you very well might be - Watsons is getting traded for sure. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If this is the case it would almost have to be out of spite at this point.  

Saleh was on Watsons list. It’s not all about race. 

if you’re correct - and you very well might be - Watsons is getting traded for sure. 

I wouldn’t say it’s spite. Saleh is a minority hire anyway, and Watson probably isn’t insisting that a black guy has to be HC.

But to ignore a very decorated black candidate who Watson fought for until the last second, but to then happily bring in a completely inexperienced white guy.

If Watson already has concerns about the views of those high up in the organisation, it doesn’t exactly help does it? 

Black OC wins everything and gets all the praise from the best player on Earth = Texans forced to interview

White guy has zero coaching experience = interview for HC.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Jets get:  Deshaun Watson

Texans get:  Sam Darnold, # 2 pick in 2021 draft, 1st round pick in 2022 draft, 2022 2nd rounder

It would be a haul for the Texans because if they believe in Sam they could trade the # 2 this year for two first rounders EASY.

That would be the boldest of the bold moves. Hire a player as a head coach and let him ride with Sam.  :)

Josh McCown and Sam Darnold would be the most suave HC/QB duo in the entire NFL. They're already so in sync!

tenor.gif.050a1ccb5ea039618ae9547d7cdcafa7.gif

Do it, Houston!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Jets get:  Deshaun Watson

Texans get:  Sam Darnold, # 2 pick in 2021 draft, 1st round pick in 2022 draft, 2022 2nd rounder

It would be a haul for the Texans because if they believe in Sam they could trade the # 2 this year for two first rounders EASY.

That would be the boldest of the bold moves. Hire a player as a head coach and let him ride with Sam.  :)

You know I don’t think many are taking into account how valuable out #2 overall pick is.  Awesome point max, that pick is more like 2 maybe even 3 1st rounders if Fields and Wilson are considered too 5 QB’s.

7 minutes ago, morny said:

I wouldn’t say it’s spite. Saleh is a minority hire anyway, and Watson probably isn’t insisting that a black guy has to be HC.

But to ignore a very decorated black candidate who Watson fought for until the last second, but to then happily bring in a completely inexperienced white guy.

If Watson already has concerns about the views of those high up in the organisation, it doesn’t exactly help does it? 

Black OC wins everything and gets all the praise from the best player on Earth = Texans forced to interview

White guy has zero coaching experience = interview for HC.

Bienemy is on the list though - he’s getting an interview.

Ultimately I do think he ends up getting hired and Watson stays where he is. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, morny said:

Yeah, it's pretty awesome actually. I hope Houston hires McCown, and pushes DW over the line if they haven't done so already.

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Anything is possible, but experience running a team or even one side of the ball probably helps. Has he ever been more than the old journeyman mentor qb player/coach?

He was the QB coach for his son's HS in Texas, that's all the coaching experience he has AFAIK