2 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

You just named them. All are better options than drafting Wilson at 2. JD does not seem like a risk taker in my opinion. I would love Watsn but dont see that happening either, which leads me to believe that Wilson may get some consideration but wont be the pick.

Wilsons competition in college was laughable. Had all day to throw, only game i saw with decent pressure in his face was Coastal Carolina and he didnt look very impressive in that game. I said he looks 15 because he does and he better add some muscle or those cute scrambles he takes are going to get him killed. He has talent, but drafting him at 2 would be a mistake and would lead me to question JD as a GM.

Yes, I names draft the QB at two, which you dont want to do or trade for Watson.  Which we dont even know will even be an option at this point so its not.  

Back to the he looks 15 so we cant draft him line of reasoning I see, lol

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Zach Morris were a QB, it would be this guy. Go Bayside!  Beat Valley!

He looks like a prepubescent Dolph Lundgren.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Cleaner medical evaluation, better competition, more athletically gifted.

In what way is Wilson a better prospect? Enlighten me.

Better competition?  no. Better athletically?  No.

His shoulder wasnt scoped, big deal.  Favre had major shoulder surgery, how did that affect his big arm?

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Good let him be someone else's failure. I never said i like him. I don't see a QB that can lead the Jets. Drafting him at 2 would be asinine, 2 major shoulder surgeries already, not to mention the kid looks like he's 15 and that's who we are rolling with? You guys are losing your minds. So many options at QB this year and this is who you latch onto? No thanks.

Yep

Either make your move for Watson or bring back Darnold, sign someone like Dalton, Garoppolo if released, etc to compete, and try your damndest to trade down from #2 and build up the rest of the roster.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, nycdan said:

I seriously cannot believe the level to which the 'Cult of Wilson' has risen on this board.  One-year wonder in a lesser conference and that one year was in a COVID-impacted season.  The toughest opponent he faced was Sun Belt powerhouse (yes that's sarcastic) Coastal Carolina and they made him look pedestrian.

This kid has tools, but he could be a complete mirage.  What has he done that we didn't see from guys like Geno Smith.  And before you get all uppity about that comp, go back and look at Geno's last year in college.  And Geno actually had 3 good years to Wilson's one. 

There is no way I consider Wilson over Fields based on the sample size.

If you are seriously comparing Geno Smith at WVU to Zach Wilson. I know for a big fat fact that you haven’t seen any Wilson tape.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Jet Nut said:

Better competition?  no. Better athletically?  No.

His shoulder wasnt scoped, big deal.  Favre had major shoulder surgery, how did that affect his big arm?

Are you comparing Wilsons arm talent to the NFL Iron Man Favre?

Wow, i thought the Mahomes comparison was silly...

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Wilson will be the next QB of the NY Jets.

If that’s their guy then they better just take him at 2. Can’t fool around and trade down when it comes to getting your QB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Always found this amusing.  Why would they become INTs in the NFL?  Because the corners are better?  But arent the WRs better and offset each other compared to college?  

I really didnt see passes that scared me.  You make a highlight tape and can say the same thing about a lot of the passes into tight coverage. Whether its ZWilson or a Mahomes

He had three different throws where they’re lined up short side with a waggle- then he throws late to the opposite side of the field. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

If you are seriously comparing Geno Smith at WVU to Zach Wilson. I know for a big fat fact that you haven’t seen any Wilson tape.

Unpopular opinion alert:  Geno Smith made a lot of really good throws in college, including some long, off-platform passes that were spot-on.  Very first play in this tape (0:05).  And the 2nd (0:23).  Not perfect spirals but perfectly placed while on the move.  

Unpopular opinion #2:  Zach Wilson looks great against lesser defensive talent.  Wilson makes beautiful passes.  I'm not questioning that.  But the reason I bring up Geno is that the level of competition is at least comparable.  You can't compare BYU's opponents to OSU's opponents.  I look at Carson Wentz.  Great QB from a middling school.  Looks like a mirage now.  Same with Geno.  All I get from a mid-level QB who dominates is that they might be great but to do it for a single year, in a season where COVID has impacted programs, training, availability, and so much more?  For me the risk is too great.

I'm *not* saying Wilson won't be a very good QB.  But he's never faced an NFL-level defense, and I'm not sure he's ever faced a defense as good as half the ones Fields faced every week.  And the best defense he did face this year held him to barely average numbers.   And he was pretty awful last year.  I just think Fields' body of work is so much greater that I wouldn't even glance in Wilson's direction personally with both on the table.  I get the interest, but I don't get the top-3 pick interest.

However, and this is an important point.  I admit I could be wrong about him.  I'm happy to debate it but if anyone jumps out with 100% certainty about this, don't send it my way.  The only sure thing in this whole process is that anyone who believes in a sure thing is an idiot.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Unpopular opinion alert:  Geno Smith made a lot of really good throws in college, including some long, off-platform passes that were spot-on.  Very first play in this tape (0:05).  And the 2nd (0:23).  Not perfect spirals but perfectly placed while on the move.  

Unpopular opinion #2:  Zach Wilson looks great against lesser defensive talent.  Wilson makes beautiful passes.  I'm not questioning that.  But the reason I bring up Geno is that the level of competition is at least comparable.  You can't compare BYU's opponents to OSU's opponents.  I look at Carson Wentz.  Great QB from a middling school.  Looks like a mirage now.  Same with Geno.  All I get from a mid-level QB who dominates is that they might be great but to do it for a single year, in a season where COVID has impacted programs, training, availability, and so much more?  For me the risk is too great.

I'm *not* saying Wilson won't be a very good QB.  But he's never faced an NFL-level defense, and I'm not sure he's ever faced a defense as good as half the ones Fields faced every week.  And the best defense he did face this year held him to barely average numbers.   And he was pretty awful last year.  I just think Fields' body of work is so much greater that I wouldn't even glance in Wilson's direction personally with both on the table.  I get the interest, but I don't get the top-3 pick interest.

However, and this is an important point.  I admit I could be wrong about him.  I'm happy to debate it but if anyone jumps out with 100% certainty about this, don't send it my way.  The only sure thing in this whole process is that anyone who believes in a sure thing is an idiot.

Geno smith also played with NFL caliber WRs. Wilson does not. In fact i would go as far to say BYU overall talent level is very similar to teams the played.

3 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

Are you comparing Wilsons arm talent to the NFL Iron Man Favre?

Wow, i thought the Mahomes comparison was silly...

I think you need to get a grip and read.  I was giving you a QB who did have a serious arm injury.  
You can believe what you want to believe.  You can think what you want about comparisons.  

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think you need to get a grip and read.  I was giving you a QB who did have a serious arm injury.  
You can believe what you want to believe.  You can think what you want about comparisons.  

Ok fair i misread that.

But did Favre get his shoulder surgery at the age of 20, because that's when Wilson got his. With his frame I think it's a valid issue to bring up.

For every Favre there are 50 other QB's who got these surgeries and it effected them in the future one way or another. Favre was an anamoly, there will never be another Favre in the NFL.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The Jaguars talked themselves into believing that Bortles was worth the 3rd pick. The Vikings talked themselves into believing that Ponder was worth the 12th pick. The list goes on and on. Desperate teams do stupid things.

Plenty of guys who know much more about this stuff than you or I or anyone else on this board have repeatedly said that the Jets should stick with Darnold over taking one of these lesser QB prospects 2nd overall. And that was before we committed to a Shanahan system that is essentially tailor made for the 23 year old QB already on our roster.

Many fans are just automatically assuming that the Jets are going to land the top WR set to hit the market, the top interior OL set to hit the market, etc.

We could be sitting here a month from now with guys like Robinson, Godwin, Golladay, Thuney, Scherff, etc all being retained by their current teams and not even sniffing FA.

Then what are you doing? Marching the next young QB into just about as sh*tty of a situation as we’ve saddled Darnold with.

We’ve even had dudes with inside info like @Mogglez and @football guy say that the most likely scenario is the Jets sticking with Darnold and continuing to build the roster. That the FO isn’t as keen on the Wilson’s, Fields’, or Lance’s as the fanbase. Many of which have never even really watched these guys outside of a handful of YouTube highlight videos.

If Douglas and Co. are sold on a Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, then of course they’ll take one of them.

But if you take one of these guys and they bust, then Douglas and Saleh’s tenures are already done for.

FWIW, as of today I have it 60/40 in favor of Sam right now.  It’s not so cut and dry.  There’s still a lonnnnnng way to go and I think Zach Wilson, in particular, is going to wow people in his interviews (even if they’re only Zoom calls and limited).  I wouldn’t lock in anyone as the day one starter or QB of the future just yet.

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, as of today I have it 60/40 in favor of Sam right now.  It’s not so cut and dry.  There’s still a lonnnnnng way to go and I think Zach Wilson, in particular, is going to wow people in his interviews (even if they’re only Zoom calls and limited).  I wouldn’t lock in anyone as the day one starter or QB of the future just yet.

Agreed, it’s all still up in the air, as it should be.

It’s going to be a combo of things:

• If JD’s evals on Wilson/Fields have a similar projection compared to Sam + teams offering us a haul for #2...we’re trading down.

• If Wilson or Fields blow JD/Saleh away + offers for Sam are high...we’re trading Sam.

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Ok fair i misread that.

But did Favre get his shoulder surgery at the age of 20, because that's when Wilson got his. With his frame I think it's a valid issue to bring up.

For every Favre there are 50 other QB's who got these surgeries and it effected them in the future one way or another. Favre was an anamoly, there will never be another Favre in the NFL.

Favre was in school 

Wilson hurt his shoulder in HS, he got it taken care of, probably on BYUs dime.  

18 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Not at all. Sanchez had what they call “ happy feet”, a sign of nervousness and difficulty processing the speed of the game. Darnold has it too, unfortunately.

I disagree ... 1:45

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

I disagree ... 1:45

I meant when he was a pro, not a collegian. That poise he might have had in college never materialized at the pro level. 

Sanchez might have benefited in staying at usc for an extra year.

what could have been...

9 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The Jaguars talked themselves into believing that Bortles was worth the 3rd pick. The Vikings talked themselves into believing that Ponder was worth the 12th pick. The list goes on and on. Desperate teams do stupid things.

Plenty of guys who know much more about this stuff than you or I or anyone else on this board have repeatedly said that the Jets should stick with Darnold over taking one of these lesser QB prospects 2nd overall. And that was before we committed to a Shanahan system that is essentially tailor made for the 23 year old QB already on our roster.

Many fans are just automatically assuming that the Jets are going to land the top WR set to hit the market, the top interior OL set to hit the market, etc.

We could be sitting here a month from now with guys like Robinson, Godwin, Golladay, Thuney, Scherff, etc all being retained by their current teams and not even sniffing FA.

Then what are you doing? Marching the next young QB into just about as sh*tty of a situation as we’ve saddled Darnold with.

We’ve even had dudes with inside info like @Mogglez and @football guy say that the most likely scenario is the Jets sticking with Darnold and continuing to build the roster. That the FO isn’t as keen on the Wilson’s, Fields’, or Lance’s as the fanbase. Many of which have never even really watched these guys outside of a handful of YouTube highlight videos.

If Douglas and Co. are sold on a Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, then of course they’ll take one of them.

But if you take one of these guys and they bust, then Douglas and Saleh’s tenures are already done for.

Specifically, what's coming out of the scouting reports is that while good prospects, they're not necessarily great can't-miss prospects. I think when you couple that with the pandemic protocols and restrictions limiting access, it'll be tough for the organization to be convinced that drafting a QB #2 is the smart move. 

As I've said 100 times. What is better for the team: QB Darnold + value #2, or QB #2 + value Darnold. 

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, football guy said:

Specifically, what's coming out of the scouting reports is that while good prospects, they're not necessarily great can't-miss prospects. I think when you couple that with the pandemic protocols and restrictions limiting access, it'll be tough for the organization to be convinced that drafting a QB #2 is the smart move. 

As I've said 100 times. What is better for the team: QB Darnold + value #2, or QB #2 + value Darnold. 

If Watson is not an option.... QB #2 + Darnold compensation. Sign Mullens and get to work.

Another option: SF trades up to #2, Jets get #12, Garrapolo and a ‘22 (2nd). Jets renegotiate Jimmy G deal and flip Sam. 
SF selects Wilson and gets cap relief. 

Thoughts?