Is Zach Wilson the Key to the Jets Future?

Shockwave

You can assure yourselves that with JD in charge of this process, that he will not give the farm away for Watson. This is the best shape cap and draft wise we've been in for a long time, and if JD has learned anything from Ozzie, it's that building a team, doesn't mean giving away the farm. 

• Sympathy 1

You can assure yourselves that with JD in charge of this process, that he will not give the farm away for Watson. This is the best shape cap and draft wise we've been in for a long time, and if JD has learned anything from Ozzie, it's that building a team, doesn't mean giving away the farm. 

100%. And why so many are going to be disappointed.

There is a limit to what you give up. So many are trying to sell, give up whatever it takes, does not matter. Heard that on the radio. So why not give up the next decade of number 1 picks?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Can you explain "giving away the farm" , not in terms of past trades (Rams moving up for Goff for example) but in the context of this exact situation.   Here are the specific caveats to this situation
1.   The Jets hold the #2 pick that holds a "value" of 2600.  They are not trying to get acquire a QB with an "early" pick in the 8-10 range that would be worth 1400.
2.  They have 4 first round picks in the next 2 drafts prior to the first phone call to the Texans.
No team has ever traded OUT of the #2 while having that pick be part of the "farm" that is given away.  Plenty of times we have seen teams trade UP, while starting in the 8-10 area and needing to add second round picks just to get the conversation started because their #8 pick is worth 1400 because it doesnt represent the chance at a franchise QB, its represents a good positional player.
So say the Jets can offer #2 (2600), 20222 first and 2023 first.  Who exactly is going to beat that offer?  And how is that "the farm" when we would continue to have 1st, 2nd and (2) 3rd round picks this year along with 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks next year. Can we not still adequately build a team in that scenario?

Sure. I agree that’s a good offer. I also think there will certainly be offers that beat that. And the Texans aren’t just doing math when they make this trade. Him being a superstar franchise quarterback adds even more value. They are going to want more than usual. Especially after the disastrous trade they were criticized for in the media

11 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Sure. I agree that’s a good offer. I also think there will certainly be offers that beat that. And the Texans aren’t just doing math when they make this trade. Him being a superstar franchise quarterback adds even more value. They are going to want more than usual. Especially after the disastrous trade they were criticized for in the media

They may want more but unfortunately for them, its up to Deshaun not the Texans.  Why on earth would he agree to a trade that guts a team of their entire future? When he could have his agent pair him with a free agent WR and join the jets along with two of the top 35 players in this draft?

• Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Can you explain "giving away the farm" , not in terms of past trades (Rams moving up for Goff for example) but in the context of this exact situation.   Here are the specific caveats to this situation

1.   The Jets hold the #2 pick that holds a "value" of 2600.  They are not trying to get acquire a QB with an "early" pick in the 8-10 range that would be worth 1400.

2.  They have 4 first round picks in the next 2 drafts prior to the first phone call to the Texans.

No team has ever traded OUT of the #2 while having that pick be part of the "farm" that is given away.  Plenty of times we have seen teams trade UP, while starting in the 8-10 area and needing to add second round picks just to get the conversation started because their #8 pick is worth 1400 because it doesnt represent the chance at a franchise QB, its represents a good positional player.

So say the Jets can offer #2 (2600), 20222 first and 2023 first.  Who exactly is going to beat that offer?  And how is that "the farm" when we would continue to have 1st, 2nd and (2) 3rd round picks this year along with 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks next year. Can we not still adequately build a team in that scenario?

Good post except I'm not giving my 2023 1st.  I'd sprinkle a few other tidbits but not that.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I also think there will certainly be offers that beat that. And the Texans aren’t just doing math when they make this trade.

Who else:

1. Needs a QB

2. Has the 3 #1 picks to trade, picks as high as ours are as of today?

3. Has the cap space

4. Do we forget that he has a no trade clause and can veto a trade to get to wherever he wants so...

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Normally I would agree that having first second and third rounders the next 2 years would be adequate  to rebuild but not a team like the Jets. The 2 first rounders we wold get to keep are late rounders that usually go to playoff teams. The reason the Jets have all that draft capital is because we traded an all pro for 2 of the first rounders and we  have a roster bereft of talent. We had several years without any draft choices sticking on the team exemplified  by the Idzik 12. We have a team that should be anchored by players 30 or under drafted as 1st round picks in the last 8 years but instead drafted people like Calvin Pryor, darron Lee, Quinton Coples, and Dee Milliner. The decent ones like Adams and Williams are gone. Throw in 2nd round beauties like Stephen Hill, Jace Amaro, Hackenberg and I would argue we need to keep the extra picks to adequately rebuild a team like the Jets. Losing 3 first rounders and significant cap room to take on Watson would give us a franchise QB with a lousy franchise. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Whats the difference between darnold and Wilson, it seems like they are similar and have the same traits we liked in Sam coupld years ago , in not familiar with Wilson 

Have seen Wilson play 2-3 times, and a bunch of tape. Biggest thing I've seen, and it's pretty important, is that Wilson is far more accurate than Sam.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

59 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Whats the difference between darnold and Wilson, it seems like they are similar and have the same traits we liked in Sam coupld years ago , in not familiar with Wilson 

Wilson is way more aggressive and not a interception machine. In fact thats what i like about all the top QBs in this class they aren’t interception machines. That translates

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

The Texans are going to be offered a ridiculous amount of Draft capital from let's say over 10 teams. 

The Texans will accept a deal for significantly LESS from the Jets than those other teams assuming Zach Wilson is their guy. That is the point of this story. 

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Wilson is way more aggressive and not a interception machine. In fact thats what i like about all the top QBs in this class they aren’t interception machines. That translates

That's one of the things that JD really likes about James Morgan. Last 2 years...40 tds, 12 Ints. Among a bunch of other things. ?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

My head hurts from all the quarterbacks I am supposed to love.

SAR I

You're supposed to love them all. Have you ever noticed any big, televised draftnik talking sh*t about a kid registering for the draft? That will NEVER happen. It's ALL overhyped BS. No one is ever going to tell the truth about a player that's about to be drafted. When those loudmouths on TV say that, it costs some young kid $. The bottom line for us is to make our own decisions. Because if we follow there's, EVERYONE is the reincarnation of Peyton Manning. It's always been up to us to decide what player X can become....

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Normally I would agree that having first second and third rounders the next 2 years would be adequate  to rebuild but not a team like the Jets. The 2 first rounders we wold get to keep are late rounders that usually go to playoff teams. The reason the Jets have all that draft capital is because we traded an all pro for 2 of the first rounders and we  have a roster bereft of talent. We had several years without any draft choices sticking on the team exemplified  by the Idzik 12. We have a team that should be anchored by players 30 or under drafted as 1st round picks in the last 8 years but instead drafted people like Calvin Pryor, darron Lee, Quinton Coples, and Dee Milliner. The decent ones like Adams and Williams are gone. Throw in 2nd round beauties like Stephen Hill, Jace Amaro, Hackenberg and I would argue we need to keep the extra picks to adequately rebuild a team like the Jets. Losing 3 first rounders and significant cap room to take on Watson would give us a franchise QB with a lousy franchise. 

Are we more devoid of talent then some other rebuilding teams, yea probably. But stephen hill was picked in 2012, the Idzik 12 was 8 years ago and pryor was 7 years ago, those players wouldnt be at an age where we could count on them to help the 2022-27 jets when Watson is in his prime.

Adams is an excellent blitzer, other then that he doesnt make his teams defense better and getting 2 firsts for him is an absolute fleecing by JD.  

Watson not only makes the players around him better but will bring at least one elite level skill position player with him. Making our current picks more then enough

7 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I like Wilson a lot and if he is the right fit for the offense, checks out health wise and has the character that Saleh and JD want then im completely on board taking him at #2. 

He can make plays down the field, go through progressions and seems to have the "it" factor. Yes he lost to Coastal, but he got them to the red zone to win the game, they just didnt convert, so im not sure you can put that loss completely on him.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Very very good points. 

in addition, including Darnold in that scenario would essentially allow them to trade out of that #2 spot and likely get ANOTHER 1st round pick. They would look like geniuses. 

on our end, we were likely going to use one of those 1st rounders on a QB anyway so that cancels out one of the 1st rounders we send to Houston. We will still have 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks in 2022, and have time to make other trades to potentially recoup a 2023 1st rounder or acquire other draft capital in 2nd 3rd round. A good GM can make that happen. 

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

My head hurts from all the quarterbacks I am supposed to love.

SAR I

With the number 2 pick in our pockets the best thing that happen for the Jets is a clear number 2 QB to emerge. Meaning a separation between Wilson and Fields/Lance. It just will create more value for the Jets in every single way. Especially involving a Watson trade. 

For example if Fields and Wilson are ranked the same well why not just trade with Miami then?

Back to Fields - Hes the perfect little Mormon boy for Jack Easterby. Hes into the Patriot way for Caserio. When the Texans fall in love with him its going to allow the Jets to get Deshaun for cheaper than any other team.

He also happens to fit the SF offense perfectly if we want him. Draft season starts soon and the absolute best thing to happen for the Jets is this guy to get Hyped more than any other. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

You guys should all get on board with Wilson because the most likely scenario is he's our QB next year.

Y'all won't be disappointed if you start watching some film on him...

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

You guys should all get on board with Wilson because the most likely scenario is he's our QB next year.

Y'all won't be disappointed if you start watching some film on him...

Career Stats

STATS

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
247 336 73.5 3,692 11.0 33 3 78 196.4
199 319 62.4 2,382 7.5 11 9 75 130.8
120 182 65.9 1,578 8.7 12 3 70

I notice you only posted his 2020 stats , 2018 & 2019 were not as good. Was 2020 an outlier ?

I can't  get behind this kid no matter how much h YouTube i watch of him. Yes, he has a live arm and good accuracy  but there is the injury, he looks like you can break him in half, and there is the potential  personality  thing. If he turns out to have Bakers attitude, there will be a lot of hate although Baker made it well known what a piece of ? he was in college, we are all just speculating on this.