Allen Robinson likes us

Philc1

10 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Given he does formally request a trade, it would be an unprecedented situation. Tendencies go out the window 

See, I only see JD trading the #2 because the #2 is worth multiple picks, possibly 2 firsts and I don't  see the Texans just taking that for Watson unless Watson will not accept a trade to any other team. Other teams will offer multiple  picks. Watson can veto a trade but he can't  force one. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

His second year in the league, he went for 80/1400/14tds with Blake Bortles as his QB.

And also teamed up with Mike Maccagnan to get Christian Hackenberg drafted in the second round. Made Hackenberg look so good during his freshman year folks ignored the gross two years that followed when Robinson was gone. 

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The numbaz add up quick. Like you said, ARob is likely getting $20 or so per year. Fans also want Thuney who likely gets $14 per year. Then Watson at $30 per year. We are also hoping to bring back some of our guys. Joe D won’t have much room to do anything else. Damn I’m going to have to tone down my expectations. I can’t see JD signing ARob if we get Watson. We’re going to have to go with a cheaper option like Corey Davis.

On the other hand, current projections have the Jets with $135 million in cap space in 2022 with literally everyone cuttable contract wise except Becton.

There are almost no long term commitments on this roster. Those three would be the only building blocks Douglas hasn’t drafted and fill some major positions for the system they want to run. I think it’s very doable.

Watson’s contract is frankly looking pretty team friendly for a current quarterback deal, too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, our practice squad tier weapons are definitely better options. In fact, just skip signing FA WR’s all together this year. We’re good. Only one ball to go around anyway.

I really think that so many years of watching the Jets has impacted some people's ability to recognize impact players, especially skill positions.  If a guy is not the next coming of Jerry Rice or Calvin Johnson he sucks and we can just roll with Jaleel Scott and Manassah Bailey next season.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

I really think that so many years of watching the Jets has impacted some people's ability to recognize impact players, especially skill positions.  If a guy is not the next coming of Jerry Rice or Calvin Johnson he sucks and we can just roll with Jaleel Scott and Manassah Bailey next season.

well put.

Reality is that we need somebody(s) to catch the ball other than Crowder, and I don’t mind paying 20 million out for some of the best help we can get. We have a lot of money & barely any of it committed to future cap space. I’m absolutely fine taking a pedal to the floor approach with playmakers in FA. Give us multiple competent starters for the QB to throw to. It doesn’t matter if it’s Darnold, Watson, Fields or Wilson. This team desperately needs guys that they haven’t had in continuity since Braylon, Keller & Holmes. We had Decker & Marshall for one year outside of that & nothing else. You’d have to go back to the early 2000’s to find any other real Jets offensive weapons. (Wayne Chrebet? Coles? Curtis Martin?) & yet some fans are acting like we’re too good to cough up money for Allen Robinson.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Reality is that we need somebody(s) to catch the ball other than Crowder, and I don’t mind paying 20 million out for some of the best help we can get. We

For $20mil I expect Diggs type numbers. Someone who can take over a game. I’d Robinson that type of receiver? I don’t know, but you’d better have the QB position resolved to shell out that coin. If not, put that money towards other positions not dependent on another like Qb. Go get young studs in the draft to grow with Qb

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

No

If we trade for Watson we likely can only sign 1 marquis free agent

Since Watson only counts for 10 million this year, even if the Jets had to carry Darnold on the cap (not likely) I believe they could sign more than one top free agent, though "marguis", I'd agree - especially if they wanted to build out the rest of the team. 

But Watson/Robinson/Tunney seems doable, along with a few cheaper FA's for DL/CB/RB etc

But, Watson probably going back to the Texans and Jets will be stuck with the Ginger Blockhead

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2021 at 10:00 PM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Jets should have 70mm+ in cap space... they could easily sign two top FA especially if they can front load their contract as watsons cap hit in 2021 is like 9mm. Doubt Joe D will do it but they could 

The cap is going to decrease by about $20 million maybe more

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The cap is going to decrease by about $20 million maybe more

Yes my # was net of those changes. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

This is off of a cap charge of $176 (~$200mm this past year) - the Jets would have $63mm in space. They can add to that as follows in this article: https://www.nj.com/jets/2021/01/nfl-free-agency-2021-how-much-salary-cap-space-does-jets-joe-douglas-have-heres-how-he-can-create-more-will-he-trade-sam-darnold.html

Summary is you cut Anderson, you save $8mm, trade Darnold you save ~$5mm, cut GVR save $3.4mm, cut Lewis save $5.4mm, etc. 

So now based on those alone you're at ~$85mm of cap space, and you also would likely be reducing the cap cost of your draft since we would be losing a lot of picks. Obviously they have a lot of holes still, and less draft picks so they need to fill a roster. But they could definitely make it work.