Potentially special compensation for trading #2

I doubt we pursue Watson (mostly bc of the asking price and Douglas's love of working the draft) but that isn't what this thread is about. If we go the trade-down route, we will have teams in a high stakes bidding war for the #2 spot.

No fewer than 10 teams need QBs and potentially significantly more. Philip Rivers is retiring. Who knows about Big Ben, Brady, and Brees. The Rams have a great team and desperately want to upgrade from Goff while their super bowl window is still open. Matt Ryan's age, etc, etc.

With the return value that Douglas has proven he can negotiate in trade (seattle), the fact that the #1 pick is not for sale and 2 is the highest a team can aquire, the # of teams wanting their pick of QB, and the pressure on some GM's to win now, we are without a doubt in position for a windfall if we trade back.

I'm not saying we will do this or should, just that if we do, don't expect pennies on the dollar. It will be better than what has been established in the past by the prior point system. We really could be looking at premium draft assets for years to come. Will be fun to watch unfold.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Woody Johnson returning to take ownership of the Jets after a 4 year hiatus. Team has, believe it or not, gotten worse. 1st official in-person  visit  with Saleh. JD also in the meeting. 

JD- “ Well Woody we have positioned ourselves nicely to draft another highly talented Qb in this year’s draft “

Woody- “ That’s exactly what MacDaddy told me last time we drafted Qb in round one” 

JD- “This time it will be different because we have so many quality picks to surround our Qb with talent”

Woody- “That’s what Idzik told me in 2014”

JD- Yeah but by this time in 2023 we will be contending for the division. 

Woody- This fan base has been through a long dark winter. They need hope. Tell me what the likelihood of acquiring Watson is and the cost. 

JD- 3 firsts in all likelihood. That’s a lot of draft capital we can use to draft talent and build our team

Woody- I saw your picks from last year and am unimpressed in year 1 production. Watson will speed up the rebuild and give hope to our fans and a reason to be excited..... The Giants will be 2nd fiddle in this town. Get Watson and the players you need in FA and use the other draft capital to surround Watson. 

Saleh- my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

Same old, same old...

Those who favor drafting a QB with #2 aren't going to change their minds.  Those who want to build through the draft and see the #2 pick as a device to increase draft capital aren't going to change their minds.

We need some new topics!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I doubt we pursue Watson (mostly bc of the asking price and Douglas's love of working the draft) but that isn't what this thread is about. If we go the trade-down route, we will have teams in a high stakes bidding war for the #2 spot.

No fewer than 10 teams need QBs and potentially significantly more. Philip Rivers is retiring. Who knows about Big Ben, Brady, and Brees. The Rams have a great team and desperately want to upgrade from Goff while their super bowl window is still open. Matt Ryan's age, etc, etc.

With the return value that Douglas has proven he can negotiate in trade (seattle), the fact that the #1 pick is not for sale and 2 is the highest a team can aquire, the # of teams wanting their pick of QB, and the pressure on some GM's to win now, we are without a doubt in position for a windfall if we trade back.

I'm not saying we will do this or should, just that if we do, don't expect pennies on the dollar. It will be better than what has been established in the past by the prior point system. We really could be looking at premium draft assets for years to come. Will be fun to watch unfold.

We should only trade back if it is an "on the card" offer.  Something I doubt will happen. 

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

The Jets currently don't have a viable QB on the roster. Every GM who runs a team that needs an upgrade at QB should be on the phone with the Texans. If not, they're stupid. You can stack your roster and have a crappy QB and he will sink your team. Watson potentially being available at his age will not happen again for another 10-20 years. The Jets could solve their 30 year QB problem by trading lottery tickets for him and have a franchise QB for the next 8-10 years. You can't put a price on having that position filled with a top 5 guy. The Jets have been trying to do it since Namath and it has never worked out. I don't know why some would pass up on something that we've been searching for 3 decades to obtain. It makes no sense. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

The problem with trading is we want and should want our pick of QB too.

5 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I would prefer to go this route. This team just needs so much everywhere- they need as many picks as they can get.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Haven't we waited long enough for this team to be good. 

We haven't sniffed the playoffs since 2010. 

The premise of there's always next year or we need to build for the future is getting old. 

We have always drafted the wrong QB.

The thought of Joe Douglas being in charge and the team finally making good football decisions is brand new.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The premise of there's always next year or we need to build for the future is getting old. 

I get it.. I feel they can do both by trading out- as long as it’s not too far down. Trading this pick to a team ready to win now AND stay in the top 10 should be the goal.

The team needs players desperately ( everywhere). Spend the next two years building a very strong core. Regardless of taking a qb - this year- or trading for Watson.... This is not a playoff team. 

Just now, Gibby said:

I get it.. I feel they can do both by trading out- as long as it’s not too far down. Trading this pick to a team ready to win now AND stay in the top 10 should be the goal.

The team needs players desperately ( everywhere). Spend the next two years building a very strong core. Regardless of taking a qb - this year- or trading for Watson.... This is not a playoff team. 

If the Jets trade for Watson they are 100% in the playoffs next season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Possibly- but totally disagree on 100%. My feeling is ( as a almost 40 year Jet fan)- they always blow a popcorn fart- and try to get good too fast. It always looks like a “ get rich quick scheme”. The result has never once netted sustained success. Typically it’s a two year flare up - then back to losing.

I would much rather ( for once) have them build a team that can be a perennial playoff team for a decade. Your chances of winning a Championship go up exponentially if you’re in every year. 

Id love Watson!!! But feel they’re so much more than a quarterback away from being a real good team. My feeling is they need to stockpile picks and start cashing in on them starting this year. If they get Watson and give up three 1s and a 2- where is all the other help coming from?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Absolutely.  I agree I don’t see Douglas forming over 4-5 first rounders since he likes to build through the draft and we have massive holes.  I’m a big supporter in trading down so I agree.  Good Post !!!

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

One thing at a time joe'swilly, we'll tackle that issue next year

44 minutes ago, pointman said:

We said we wouldn't get two first rounders for Jamal either. Anything is possible.. especially now that everything is going our way. Optimism, my friend.

Just about anything is possible.  Getting anything for Mosley in a trade simply isn't.  He hasn't played a down of football since Week 1 of 2019, and he's owed $62M over the next 4 years.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.  We won 2 games last year,

Houston won 4 games last year.

Two of our div rivals are in a serious upswing.

Competent GM.

Competent HC.

Top 5 QB.

Plenty of picks (even after trading for Watson).

# 2 cap space in the league, in a year where the cap goes down (and there would be FA's who would be interested in joining Watson here).

It's not far fetched at all.  2020 W-L records would have no impact on the 2021 Jets.  Wipe the slate clean.

• Upvote 2

If Houston wants to trade Watson, they have two options-the Jets or the Dolphins.  Both teams have a draft pick they can use to replace Watson.

People talk about the number of first round picks, and prior trades with lots of first round picks, but we ignore the value of the picks.  The 2 pick is worth 2400 JJ points.  23, 740.  2 is worth almost 4x 23.  

I would offer Houston 2 and whatever is higher next year-Jets or Seattle’s pick.  Maybe some small change.  Hopefully Darnold.  That is it.  Then see if the Dolphins want to beat it.

My guess is that Houston may prefer Fields to Wilson, so they could be happy with the Miami pick because they would assume the Jets take Wilson for fit.  

I think the three first round draft pick thing is imaginary.  

• Sympathy 1

They would pass up the sure thing for.an extra shot at a chance of it at later date

The Jets currently don't have a viable QB on the roster. Every GM who runs a team that needs an upgrade at QB should be on the phone with the Texans. If not, they're stupid. You can stack your roster and have a crappy QB and he will sink your team. Watson potentially being available at his age will not happen again for another 10-20 years. The Jets could solve their 30 year QB problem by trading lottery tickets for him and have a franchise QB for the next 8-10 years. You can't put a price on having that position filled with a top 5 guy. The Jets have been trying to do it since Namath and it has never worked out. I don't know why some would pass up on something that we've been searching for 3 decades to obtain. It makes no sense. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm optimistic about just about everything Jets-related except the possibility of trading Mosley, lol.

Here's some optimism for you:  Mosley will be a very useful Jet in 2021.

I'LL TAKE IT! Don't get me wrong.. I don't care for CJ and would love to move on from him, but I'll take what I can get. I still haven't given up that Joe Douglas will rob another team a la Jamal. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Are JetNation ratings down?  ? Getting Watson does not make this team a playoff contender. Not in 2021.  Buffalo, Miami, KC, Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Titans, Colts, are all better teams. Chargers and Raiders played .500 and improving. There are only so many playoff spots.  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.  We won 2 games last year,

Houston won 4 games last year.

Two of our div rivals are in a serious upswing.

Bills went 6-10 in 2018 Then they brought in Beasley, John Brown and about 7 new offensive lineman.  Then they went 10-6 in 2019. Then they brought in Diggs and went 13-3 this year and are on the precipice of the SB. Things happen fast in the Nfl, especially with a top 5 QB. 

Trade for Watson, sign ARob/Juju/Godwin, Thuney, Edge rusher in FA. Still will have 9 draft picks as well,  4 in the top 91 to add depth. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Are JetNation ratings down?  ? Getting Watson does not make this team a playoff contender. Not in 2021.  Buffalo, Miami, KC, Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Titans, Colts, are all better teams. Chargers and Raiders played .500 and improving. There are only so many playoff spots.  

How many people would have said the Dolphins would've won 10 games this year before the season? None. One thing you can count on in the nfl is that you can't judge season to season like that. So many things can happen