***OFFICIAL NFC + AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES THREAD***

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We are on the verge of having to watch Tom Brady play the Bills in a Super Bowl in a year where the Jets just went 2-14 and blew the #1 pick. I predict that we will all be told tomorrow how we should all be thankful for this.

If its Brady vs Bills Super Bowl ...

Tom Brady has a 30-3 record against the Buffalo Bills. His 30 victories are the most by a quarterback against a single opponent.

There’s a good example of why you upgrade at QB and not just the guys around him. Darnold (and other recent Jets QBs) never would have left the pocket in the first place. Rodgers efforetlessly rolls out and converts on 3rd & 19 or whatever it was.

Any line the Jets build is unlikely to dramatically exceed the 2020 Packers’ line, even if they draft Sewell and add this or that iOL FA. It takes more than just an OL and good receivers. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There’s a good example. Darnold (and other recent Jets QBs) never would have left the pocket in the first place. Rodgers efforetlessly rolls out and converts on 3rd & 19 or whatever it was.

A little thing called play design.  I think people actually underestimate just how utterly awful gases play design and play calling was.

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We are on the verge of having to watch Tom Brady play the Bills in a Super Bowl in a year where the Jets just went 2-14 and blew the #1 pick. I predict that we will all be told tomorrow how we should all be thankful for this.

Ugh. What a nightmare scenario. I need at least one of Green Bay/KC to win. I need to be able to root for someone. In a year where the pats didn’t make the playoffs you would think we would have a better time in January/February, but apparently not. 

31 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Darnold in his most perfect of dreams could not even fathom making those Brady throws.  Agree that Sam in that drive winds up as a punt.

Plenty of time left in this one, though.  Tough to bet against Rodgers.

I’m more making the point that this is what an elite QB brings to the table. QBs don’t just become elite because the players around them are cumulatively good. You still need a QB. Even if the QB isn’t truly elite, there has to be a minimum baseline e.g. Eli won 2 SBs and wasn’t elite, but he was a f***load closer to elite than anyone we’ve had in a long time.

What did we get instead? Finger-pointing at everyone else on the field and a trip home watching the remainder of the postseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You don’t get it. We need to use the #2 pick on yet another 1st round tackle, then add 2 more iOL FAs who are outright or borderline pro bowlers, plus add an elite/star FA WR, plus use another high pick on yet another WR or a TE. Then Darnold will show you that he’s capable of being better than the 30th ranked passer in the league. Hater.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A little thing called play design.  I think people actually underestimate just how utterly awful gases play design and play calling was.

Gase - and bad play designs and coaching in general - aren’t assets. Neither is a gunshy and inacurrate QB. 

Never mind there’s a de facto presumption that all play designs down in Houston have been brilliant works of art.