Matt Stafford and Lions part ways

morny

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He’s still only 33, could have another 4 or 5 years of productivity 

If he can stay on the field he might have another 8+ years.  Look at Brady, Brees, Ben, Rivers, Rodgers.  Playing well at 38, 39, 40+ isn't as rare as it once was.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Oh I agree I don't see a trade happening, but if a trade were to happen, they can probably get him by swapping 2021 1sts and sending a 2022 1st. They'd probably turn around and trade Darnold to the Colts or 49ers for a 2nd

Why the F would we trade 2 picks for a 33 yr old QB? Including giving the #2 spot. 

If Joe D did that I’d be shocked and then I’d be pissed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AFJF said:

If he can stay on the field he might have another 8+ years.  Look at Brady, Brees, Ben, Rivers, Rodgers.  Playing well at 38, 39, 40+ isn't as rare as it once was.

Depends on whether or not he still has the love for the game, you see what playing for the Lions did for Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree.  I think we should take wilson at 2 and rebuild from the ground up.

But, if Douglas likes stafford, Give the lions the 2nd pick in the draft and take their 7th pick and throw in a 3rd.

Giving the 2nd overall pick for stafford would be a crime against humanity 

edit: didn’t realize you meant a pick swap

39 minutes ago, HawaiisOnlyJetsFan said:

Stafford + #7 for our #2. 

21 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'd give that a thought. Getting a starting QB while keeping a top 10 pick is not a bad proposition. I'm sure someone will tell me why this would be an awful deal. 

Barring Watson being available, this would indeed be an excellent deal for the Jets.

Which is exactly why the Lions probably wouldn't do this unless they're head over heels for Fields/Wilson, and don't think they can wait until 7 to get one of them.  My guess is they'd look for more in a deal like that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

The Stafford trade may be worked out by the Super Bowl. Hell it could even get worked out at the Senior Bowl. Reminds me when Alex Smith got traded to Washington on January 30 in 2018. 

Agreed. Detroit owes him a $10 million roster bonus on the 5th day of the new league year that I'm sure they don't want to pay. Maybe he gets traded for a lower round pick or cut before the bonus is due.

• Upvote 1

Zero interest in Stafford. Wouldn't give a 2nd for him.

This is great news!  There are 4 to 5 teams in the top 10 potentially looking to move up and we hold all the cards.  The Lions loading up for a trade puts us in such a great spot..  Let the bidding commence.

This is shaping up to be a complete transformation of his team.  Sam will have 1 more chance to turn it around  and when he does we'll have assets galore the next 2 drafts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) Tweeted:
What I’ve heard:

#Lions will move Stafford and use the pick(s) acquired so that if they need to move up from No. 7 overall for a QB, they can. 

FWIW

Exactly what I was saying before. 

The Stafford trade is going to wait until the Deshaun Watson situation resolves itself. It will not be worked out yet. 

Why? 

Because if the Lions goal is to draft a QB this year there gonna want to be talking to the teams drafting 2/3. Which just so happen to both want Watson. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

This probably hurts the trade sam option since he’d be a better win now option for a good team. 

That was never the market for Darnold in the first place. No win-now team is looking to trade a day 2 pick for Darnold to be its unquestioned starter. 

His value in trade is youth and supposedly untapped upside. Different market than there is for Stafford, whose value is about being an established known quantity, not free but not crazy expensive, but is a decade older than Darnold or a drafted QB, and if he’s still at a high level he’ll need another contract in 2 years that’ll be plenty high. 

4 hours ago, southtown24th said:

List the teams that need a QB this offseason...

Jets

Colts

Saints

Texans

Lions

Jaguars

Falcons?

Who else?

Is Belichick really going to ride out his remaining years counting a guys like Stidham and a washed up Cam Newton?

The Pats seem like a team perfectly fine to take the 4th or 5th QB in this Draft.  They might be a Trey Lance or Mac Jones destination.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Is Belichick really going to ride out his remaining years counting a guys like Stidham and a washed up Cam Newton?

Cam was truly awful and Stidham couldn't beat him out for the QB1 spot, imagine how bad he is.

I think Belichick finds a way to get a vet starter.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, southtown24th said:

List the teams that need a QB this offseason...

Jets

Colts

Saints

Texans

Lions

Jaguars

Falcons?

Who else?

You'd have to think the teams in a Superbowl window - Colts & Saints - are gonna be first in line to sign Stafford. 

Contrary to popular perception, he doesn't have long left. His back is fcked. But he could do a job on a short term deal. Colts, for example, have all the pieces around him; he just needs to be marginally better than Rivers.