Matt Stafford and Lions part ways

morny

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

On what planet is 5000 yds in one season allowed in on the same planet as the Sanchez ????? Not only that .... 8 Season over 4000 something Sanchez never sniffed. Your comment is comical.

agreed !  ?..if i may,  HIS comment is NOT worth a comment  ? 

16 minutes ago, KRL said:

I could see this Stafford scenario impacting the Jets:

- DET trades Stafford to IND for their #1 (21st in round 1)

- We then trade down with DET and get #7, #21, 2021 #3 and
a 2022 #2

As enticing as that is, if the Jets want one of the QBs they should stay where they are and take him at #2. Don't try to get cute, or worry about what Mel Kiper says. Take the guy you want when you can, and don't worry about people telling you it was a reach.

As much as people ridiculed the Giants about the Daniel Jones pick a few years ago, I respected it. They liked him and made sure they got him before someone else could.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, KRL said:

I've been harping on the Jets not to become HOU or DET.  Teams
with high priced, stat producing QB's but incomplete rosters
that don't win.  And now in the space of a week both teams are
in turmoil, coincidence?  I don't think so.  Build the roster
properly first then make a splash move.  Not the other way
around

I couldn't agree more and had a back and forth with a guy on another site about team building.  He is all in on DQB ( I get it but..) I believe you build the team building in the trenches and then skilled players on both sides.  WE have so many holes it looks like moths ate the roster... trade down stock up on picks try to fix SAM (evaluate SAM to see if he can be fixed - which seems to ne how they are leaning) and plug holes. 

54 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

As enticing as that is, if the Jets want one of the QBs they should stay where they are and take him at #2. Don't try to get cute, or worry about what Mel Kiper says. Take the guy you want when you can, and don't worry about people telling you it was a reach.

As much as people ridiculed the Giants about the Daniel Jones pick a few years ago, I respected it. They liked him and made sure they got him before someone else could.

If the Jets want to take a QB you don't make this trade.  But I
believe in the end Douglas/Saleh will keep Darnold and fill out
the roster by trading down from #2

I do not have a strong opinion about this, but you could do way worse than having Stafford at QB for the next three to five years. If he could be acquired without losing too much draft capital, I would be ok with it. He would instantly become the best Jets QB since Namath. Not losing sleep if he doesn't become the QB.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Gotta agree here. As much as I want Watson and think this would be something we absolutely must pursue through completion...it has a pipe dream feel to it.

No harm chopping it up about the possibilities though. 

But reality is Darnold or Wilson will probably be our choices.

If we get Watson for less than the current consensus then I'd be on board, otherwise we need our assets spent elsewhere.  If JD pulls this one off he's def "The Man".  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, KRL said:

I've been harping on the Jets not to become HOU or DET.  Teams
with high priced, stat producing QB's but incomplete rosters
that don't win.  And now in the space of a week both teams are
in turmoil, coincidence?  I don't think so.  Build the roster
properly first then make a splash move.  Not the other way
around

EXACTLY!  3 first round picks for Watson would set us back if people want to include the #2 pick.

Now....what of this for a consideration: Like him or not, Stafford is a top 15 QB in this league.  Career 62 % passer, 90.0 QB rating, almost 300 TD passes, 4,000 yards a season.  He is 32 years old with two years left on his contract.

He could be good enough to get this team winning again, while the Jets use a #1 this year to draft an heir apparent.  Let said QB sit a year.  I bet it could happen with a flip between #2 and #7.  Jets could use 7 to draft Davonta Smith and or WR core looks pretty good.  The Jets could then use #23 on a QB, or use their two firsts next year to move up and draft a guy.  We have a top 15 QB for a couple of years while we still rebuild, win more games which is actually a GOOD thing, and maybe get lucky on Stafford.  If not, still have the draft capital to draft a guy and let him sit.

Everyone LOVES the idea of Watson, but in the end, I don't think he goes anywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, jgb said:

That splat sound is Darnold’s trade value crashing through the bedrock.

not sure why people think darnold has much trade value.  

for the same reason the jets aren't sure what to do with him, why would any team give up something of value for him based on results and his pending free agency and/or 5th year option cost.

i don't think the value of darnold changes much (if at all) because stafford is on the market.  it's not like a team that is looking at stafford (most likely a team built to win now and wants a veteran QB) is going to be in the market for darnold.

• Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I'm not down with getting Watson but this is certainly logical as far as compensation. I'm just disappointed when many treat the 2nd overall pick as if it's some pick in the 20s and included it with a bundle of other 1st rounders. Is the 2 overall pick by itself not worth 3 first rounders or close to it?

i also feel giving a bunch of picks up for a qb with a team that is full of holes everywhere, is just foolishness.we are way more than a qb off from winning anything.

9 minutes ago, dudeman said:

i also feel giving a bunch of picks up for a qb with a team that is full of holes everywhere, is just foolishness.we are way more than a qb off from winning anything.

The holes you talked about are on offense only. I mean 7-9 in 2019 32nd ranked offense, 2-14 in 2020 32nd ranked offense!! If we trade for a QB, we still can draft guys at offense with our 3 first picks (23, 34, 66). The defense is always on the field because of our ugly offensive games!!! Supposedly we trade for Watson/ Stafford and we draft at 23 a wr/OG, 34 a wr/OG and at 66 wr/ OL/ RB!!! You will not agree with that ?

13 minutes ago, dudeman said:

I'll like to avoid making Watson start on back to back bottom 3 teams without their draft picks.

How livid would the fans be if the Texans were drafting top 5 in 2022 with our pick?

14 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

He is 32. He isnt going to start getting better. Go watch his playoff games. A team wanting to win should not be going after stafford.

I'm actually hoping he goes to a playoff team to enjoy watching him flame out on another team.

Get Better ???? ... you be serious .. I ask you to look at his statistics and then come back.  Dude is a passing stud. Period. End of story.

Edited by Dunnie

18 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Get Better ???? ... you be serious .. I ask you to look at his statistics and then come back.  Dude is a passing stud. Period. End of story.

He is a stat padder in an era of passing. He is kirk cousins. But because he plays in Detroit he gets no scrutiny by people who look at stats instead of watch games.  

Like I said , I hope he does go to a playoff team. He will choke like he always does

Watch games, not statistics.

Stat Paddord.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The Pats should be going after Stafford pretty hard.

Stafford is a very good QB and will do well on the right team.

Heck I think he would do well for the Jets but unless he comes uber cheap....

That would worry me. Of course Pats have no talent at WR after an aging Edelman