10 years ago today......

I was walking into Heinz Field feeling great about my team being one win away from the Super Bowl. It was a crisp, cold day.....not a facemask in sight. I remember thinking that this was going to be the day that made up for the Fake Spikes, Rich Kotites, and all the other BS we Jets fans put up with. Its insane to think that literally nothing good has happened for this team since that day. Its actually all gone downhill and its sad.

• Sad 1

i often reflect on sanchez. i really feel like if he had a bit more pocket feel, and if the jets didnt blow up the team around him...he could have been a decent NFL starter. ultimately i do feel like his lack of ability to do anything under pressure in the pocket was always going to doom him.

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I had such a horrible, horrible feeling in my gut after that game. Like, not only did we blow our best chance at a Super Bowl, but that would be our last good team in a long time. Ten years later, here we are. 

So did I, but it was because we lost to a team that we were better than. Full disclosure, I honestly felt we were on the way to being really good for 5-6 years. Also was convinced that Sanchez was the guy.

12 minutes ago, QB1 said:

How’d you feel walking out?

I was there too.  Lasting memory that I have from that game was getting on the shuttle bus after the game to head back to our hotel on the other side of the river.  My son and I.  The only Jet fans on a bus full of Steeler fans.  And they were so fvcking quiet.  Going to the Super Bowl had become so routine for Steeler fans, that it was just another win.  It was expected.

Steeler fans have won enough.  They deserve nothing.  We have suffered with our team for 50+ years and remained loyal.  We deserve the chance to experience that joy.  Hopefully it happens some day.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

curious why this game is any worse then the doug brien game...for me that one was the one that hurt the most.

Because this one would have gotten us to the SB.  Still had another hurdle to go after the Doug Brien game.  Both sucked, but this one was worse for me.  This one.  And the Mud Bowl.  Those were the two worst for me.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

curious why this game is any worse then the doug brien game...for me that one was the one that hurt the most.

Recency bias.  (See:  3-0 vs. Broncos at the half, Gastineau/Kosar, Mud Bowl, etc.)  Time starts to deaden the senses... 

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Because this one would have gotten us to the SB.  Still had another hurdle to go after the Doug Brien game.  Both sucked, but this one was worse for me.  This one.  And the Mud Bowl.  Those were the two worst for me.

Denver was brutal, too. Up 10-0 midway through the 3rd Q.

• Upvote 4
3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was there too.  Lasting memory that I have from that game was getting on the shuttle bus after the game to head back to our hotel on the other side of the river.  My son and I.  The only Jet fans on a bus full of Steeler fans.  And they were so fvcking quiet.  Going to the Super Bowl had become so routine for Steeler fans, that it was just another win.  It was expected.

Steeler fans have won enough.  They deserve nothing.  We have suffered with our team for 50+ years and remained loyal.  We deserve the chance to experience that joy.  Hopefully it happens some day.

My brother is a Giants fan. He came to my place last Saturday to watch the divisional games. I was so excited to watch a great weekend of playoff football, and I turned to him and said “could you imagine me right now if the Jets were playing? Don’t I deserve a good team some day?” And he said yes, you do. We all deserve it. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Lith said:

This for me, too. The Mud Bowl calcified my hatred of the Phins forever more. Shula was the cheating model that Belichick adopted when he assumed control of the NE club, IMHO.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Denver was brutal, too. Up 10-0 midway through the 3rd Q.

Difference for me with the Denver game is I didn't think we were the better team.  That loss was comaprable to the Indy loss after the 2009 season.  Jumped out to a lead, but I always felt the better team would win.  The Mud Bowl and Pitt, I thought we were the better team.

How pathetic is this?  Sitting here on Championship Sunday revisiting the most devastating losses in our history. 

Maybe it is like group therapy for us.  

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Difference for me with the Denver game is I didn't think we were the better team.  That loss was comaprable to the Indy loss after the 2009 season.  Jumped out to a lead, but I always felt the better team would win.  The Mud Bowl and Pitt, I thought we were the better team.

How pathetic is this?  Sitting here on Championship Sunday revisiting the most devastating losses in our history. 

Maybe it is like group therapy for us.  

Very good point, don't disagree. The good news is that as we torture each other with this stuff, at least we still have our memory. I think. 😁

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I was walking into Heinz Field feeling great about my team being one win away from the Super Bowl. It was a crisp, cold day.....not a facemask in sight. I remember thinking that this was going to be the day that made up for the Fake Spikes, Rich Kotites, and all the other BS we Jets fans put up with. Its insane to think that literally nothing good has happened for this team since that day. Its actually all gone downhill and its sad.

It was 10 years ago yesterday.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Nothing can ever out do the feeling of being cheated out of a SB appearance through flat out cheating like the Mud Bowl game orchestrated by Don Shula.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1