Jump to content

Deshaunapolooza ****Official Deshaun Watson Speculation Megathread**** (Merged eleventy bajillion times)


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So Salguero has no sources.

Neither does Matt Miller though.

That's the beauty of stories like these.  No one from the Watson camp would ever actually come out and confirm any of this one way or another.

So from Salguero's side, if he gets traded and it's to the Jets(which would have been one of the few reasonable destinations to begin with) then he looks great when he likely never knew to begin with.

From Matt Miller's side, just say the opposite, because it's still probably the most likely be doesn't get traded to begin with.  You can always say "things changed" or whatever down the road as needed.

These are the type of " rumors" that are easy to make up, because there will never be any confirmation one way or another.

Great post 

Hmmmm funny thing is, this is happening on this website too. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All that really needs to be said, but thanks for coming to bat for me.

I've changed my profile and cover photos in honor of the man who's about to do so much to change the fortunes of the Jets for the better. 

What scares me is that Deshaun is gonna read this thread and find out about Staten Island.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, joebabyny said:

Either Rodgers or Mahomes play in NY and they are making even more money on endorsements. Watson comes here and somehow the Jets become a top 5 team or win a SB, and the amount of money he makes outside of football salary blows those other 2 guys out of the water. The fact that Watson is a great human being on top of all world talent even furthers this. A case can be made for an increase in revenue potential outweighing the nj tax burden for his salary. I'm no tax expert, but he could have his residence in a tax haven state, and then only his football salary is taxable to NJ, and further I think maybe only his home games, but not sure about that.

Great then he shouldn't mind offsetting his salary demands because of the potential advertising dollars he can make.  More rings = more advertising $$$ and the only way to get more rings is to sign for less and allow the team to build around you.

Please see Tom Brady for more answers on this topic.

One last note on advertising .. I work in NYC in advertising ... yes its still the mecca ... but less though than it was 20 years ago.  Marketing has been spreading out all over the place since the 80s. LA, SF, Chicago, Atlanta, Botson even Austin all have strong advertising infrastructure. Globally ... London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Tai Wan ... 

Also - Players get taxed on where they play ... so NJ tax woes are slightly overblown.  Yes they pay more in six game out of th year.

 

 

 

Edited by Dunnie
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Totally. And considering they essentially gave away Hopkins - which you have to think figure left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth - they’ll be sure to explore every possible angle to making this work for DW and the Texans 

Or, what if Easterby was the driver behind getting rid of Hopkins and he’s still carrying outsized power within the organization (as the SI piece and countless NFL Insider-y takes have suggested), then trading Watson for a haul isn’t as inconceivable inside the building as it is outside the building. Do we think Easterby and Caserio let themselves get bullied into hiring Bieniemy, or do they decide to go their own route, except with an extra three first rounders? As people keep pointing out, the Texans only won four games last year, and with Watt and Mercilus on their last legs, they’re set to get worse, not better. IMO, the triggering event will be the HC hire, and the Watson decision-making will get very public from that point on.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or, what if Easterby was the driver behind getting rid of Hopkins and he’s still carrying outsized power within the organization (as the SI piece and countless NFL Insider-y takes have suggested), then trading Watson for a haul isn’t as inconceivable inside the building as it is outside the building. Do we think Easterby and Caserio let themselves get bullied into hiring Bieniemy, or do they decide to go their own route, except with an extra three first rounders? As people keep pointing out, the Texans only won four games last year, and with Watt and Mercilus on their last legs, they’re set to get worse, not better. IMO, the triggering event will be the HC hire, and the Watson decision-making will get very public from that point on.

Totally off the grid here, but I wonder if Houston would try to pry Dabo out of Clemson?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Totally off the grid here, but I wonder if Houston would try to pry Dabo out of Clemson?

It seems Dabo would want total control and a billion dollars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Or, he just watched his former franchise nuke themselves from space by waiting on a young, talented QB prospect and is thinking to himself that maybe it’d be kinda cool to just lock that position down for the foreseeable future. 

No comparison between Wentz, who looked like a league MVP at one point, and Darnold. If he, "rolls it back with Sam," I fully expect another starting-caliber option on the roster. 

And I'm really not talking about Darnold, anyway. They have the second pick of the draft. They could draft their favorite non-Lawrence QB, and that player's entire contract will cost less than Watson will in 2022. 

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

How would you rate JDs last draft from what you saw on the field? Yes I know you can’t judge 1 yr. yada, yada. This year and next will determine the fate of this team for the next 5 years. Do you trust him?

Watson fulfills the largest hole in this organization in 50 years. All the other players can be filled in a number of ways. Qb....... much more difficult. 

I was quite happy with the draft, his approach, and the number of picks he seemed to hit on. 

But I'm not talking about what I think he should or shouldn't do, I'm talking about what I think he will or won't do. If he can acquire Watson for Seattle's firsts and Darnold -as a few people here have suggested- then he should, and probably will, pull the trigger on that. But I don't think Watson's gonna come that cheap. I think if there's a bidding war, and the price has risen to the #2 pick and a couple more firsts, that he'll then bow out. 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Building through the draft is nice, and I'm sure its still very much how Douglas would like to do business.

But GM's like long-term job security more.  And there's no better way to guarantee the safety of his job than being set at QB.  Pass on Watson and draft a QB (or kick the can down the road) at your own risk; if it fails, job security goes away very quickly.

Get the QB, add a quality free agent WR, and continue to build through the draft at the other positions on the field.

I don't think Joe Douglas is particularly worried about his job security. He's got five more years guaranteed, and just hired his new head coach to a five year guaranteed contract. Not uncommon at all for a new coach to come in and establish his program without the QB position being completely settled, then trying to settle it the following year. 

Drafting positions like QB and WR should be a priority, because Watson plus a premium WR will run you about $55M against the cap in 2022. And then I guess we're passing on Thuney? Or we'll just sign him, too? 

Again, I think JD and Saleh had a plan in place before Watson became potentially available. I think they liked that plan, which is why they hit it off immediately, and instantly wanted to work together. I'm sure trading for Watson is, and will continue to be, a topic of discussion at One Jets Drive, but also that Joe Douglas seems to put a pretty hard value on things and that he won't go over whatever he's determined to be the price he's willing to pay. I think there will be other teams more than willing to spend more than he will be. That's all I'm saying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slats said:

No comparison between Wentz, who looked like a league MVP at one point, and Darnold. If he, "rolls it back with Sam," I fully expect another starting-caliber option on the roster. 

And I'm really not talking about Darnold, anyway. They have the second pick of the draft. They could draft their favorite non-Lawrence QB, and that player's entire contract will cost less than Watson will in 2022. 

I was quite happy with the draft, his approach, and the number of picks he seemed to hit on. 

But I'm not talking about what I think he should or shouldn't do, I'm talking about what I think he will or won't do. If he can acquire Watson for Seattle's firsts and Darnold -as a few people here have suggested- then he should, and probably will, pull the trigger on that. But I don't think Watson's gonna come that cheap. I think if there's a bidding war, and the price has risen to the #2 pick and a couple more firsts, that he'll then bow out. 

I don't think Joe Douglas is particularly worried about his job security. He's got five more years guaranteed, and just hired his new head coach to a five year guaranteed contract. Not uncommon at all for a new coach to come in and establish his program without the QB position being completely settled, then trying to settle it the following year. 

Drafting positions like QB and WR should be a priority, because Watson plus a premium WR will run you about $55M against the cap in 2022. And then I guess we're passing on Thuney? Or we'll just sign him, too? 

Again, I think JD and Saleh had a plan in place before Watson became potentially available. I think they liked that plan, which is why they hit it off immediately, and instantly wanted to work together. I'm sure trading for Watson is, and will continue to be, a topic of discussion at One Jets Drive, but also that Joe Douglas seems to put a pretty hard value on things and that he won't go over whatever he's determined to be the price he's willing to pay. I think there will be other teams more than willing to spend more than he will be. That's all I'm saying. 

I think a 25 year old QB, who is in the top 5 at his position, probably has infinite value to an organization that is in desperate need for one regardless of how frugal you think JD is. If the Jets had the #1 pick this wouldn't even be a discussion. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slats said:

No comparison between Wentz, who looked like a league MVP at one point, and Darnold. If he, "rolls it back with Sam," I fully expect another starting-caliber option on the roster. 

And I'm really not talking about Darnold, anyway. They have the second pick of the draft. They could draft their favorite non-Lawrence QB, and that player's entire contract will cost less than Watson will in 2022. 

I was referring to non-Darnold options such as Zack Wilson and Justin Fields. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I think a 25 year old QB, who is in the top 5 at his position, probably has infinite value to an organization that is in desperate need for one regardless of how frugal you think JD is. If the Jets had the #1 pick this wouldn't even be a discussion. 

We're all speculating and projecting, and we'll all get to see what happens. My opinion is that he won't break the bank. If Tanny was still here, I'd already have my Watson jersey on order. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was referring to non-Darnold options such as Zack Wilson and Justin Fields. 

I continue to think that come training camp, it'll be Darnold on a short leash with a veteran backup ready to step in at a moment's notice. They'll trade back from the #2 and add another first in 2022 (and maybe 2023, too), and address the position then if nothing they threw at the wall this year managed to stick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, slats said:

We're all speculating and projecting, and we'll all get to see what happens. My opinion is that he won't break the bank. If Tanny was still here, I'd already have my Watson jersey on order. 

I continue to think that come training camp, it'll be Darnold on a short leash with a veteran backup ready to step in at a moment's notice. They'll trade back from the #2 and add another first in 2022 (and maybe 2023, too), and address the position then if nothing they threw at the wall this year managed to stick. 

I think (hope?) they run with the Darnold/trade back option, but I’m also terrified that either Fields or Wilson could be good and they’ll have passed on yet another flashy QB, but that threat is negated if they’re able to trade for Watson. Along with the obvious benefits to adding Watson, it will also cover a lot of ass and hide a lot of other sins. That’s why I’m pro-premium on getting him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Dude is on video with his manager saying he wants him in jet green.

He’s liking posts about going to the jets.

If we’re not his preferred destination, he has an amazing poker face.

I think there could be some attention whoring going on here too. Wouldn’t put too much stock into anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paradis said:

100% ...easily the most realistic/reasonable assessment of this situation 

 

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Oh I completely agree.  I just wanted to throw it out there that nothing I’ve heard is “No, I won’t go here/there”, so yeah, I guess if we offered a treasure trove (not likely if I were a betting man) to Houston he’d come along.

That said, my gut is firmly in the “this is all posturing to get what he wants” camp.  Miller (or anyone for that matter, so we’ll throw Armando and his report in there as well) putting out there that there is a “yes and no” list is silly.  I don’t believe it has actually gotten to the point where he needs to make that list...yet.

 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Well said. There’s still so much that has to play out in HOU, starting with putting together a staff. Nobody has more pull that Watson and I’d bet that at the end of the day they’ll come together on something that unites these parties. 

if you’re HOU have to do whatever you reasonably can to keep the face of your franchise in town 

 

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Yup.  Couldn’t have said it better myself.  I don’t think people are truly thinking how badly things would have to get for Houston to willingly trade a (as of today) top 3 QB who is only 25 years old.

It’s, honestly, not fathomable.

 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Totally. And considering they essentially gave away Hopkins - which you have to think figure left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth - they’ll be sure to explore every possible angle to making this work for DW and the Texans 

 

I'm guessing this graduated to DMs and sexting pictures of you finishing all over yourselves traded

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Unlike many, I'll be glad if this was true and we skip the route of going for instant gratification.

Its Been A Long Time Mueller Report GIF

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

New Rapoport missive this morning, and sounds like a rebuttal from the Texans who are basically saying, “But Caserio likes African Americans!”

(LOL at the “Caserio, who has six rings” part. The Pats are among the worst drafting teams in modern history)

 

The Houston Texans plan to conduct additional follow-up interviews with one or more of their head-coaching candidates early this coming week, per sources -- a critical juncture in the NFL's last open search, and one that continues to include several experienced, respected Black coaches in a year none have been hired.

Former Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell had a second interview -- and first with new Texans general manager Nick Caserio -- this past week. Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy are eligible for second interviews after Sunday's AFC title game. Baltimore Ravens assistant head coach David Culley remains a candidate as well, as do Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus and longtime NFL quarterback Josh McCown.

For all the scrutiny of the Texans' search process, and speculation about quarterback Deshaun Watson's future amidst frustration about his lack of input, Houston landed a coveted GM in Caserio, who won six Super Bowl rings in New England. Now, the Texans are exercising patience with the diverse pool of head-coaching candidates they've put together since Caserio took control of the search.

Hiring the even-keeled Frazier or Caldwell -- two former assistants of Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy, who has consulted with Texans owner Cal McNair on the hire -- would provide a steady hand to a franchise that needs it after a tumultuous four months that began with the October dismissal of coach/GM Bill O'Brien.

After months of discussion about the NFL's enhanced diversity efforts, it also would make the Texans just the second team to hire a minority head coach in this cycle; the New York Jets hired Robert Saleh, who is Lebanese, earlier this month.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Watson is a shortcut. And we were already told that there are no shortcuts.

Yea, he's a shortcut to a top 5 franchise QB & is still having 1st round picks in the 2021 & 2022 draft! Think about how many proven QBs have been traded with his skills in the NFL, we all know the answer is ZERO! 

If you know of one tell me. So yes, Saleh is right when he says there are no shortcuts until THERE IS A RARE SHORTCUT that has never transpired & fortunately the Jets SEEM to be a destination he would approve of if, and that's a big IF, Houston decides they can't repair the relationship. 

A trade to the Jets IS POSSIBLE, likely? probably not. But it's fun to even be mentioned in the running when just 3 months ago the Jets were the laughingstock of the league, being mocked for tanking by media idiots and even being mentioned by Jeremy Schapp as a reason to change the entire draft process for the 1st pick in the draft with a f*cking lottery! 

As a Jet fan I'm moving forward like the 2020 season never even happened. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Millen has been fired from every job he’s had since his playing career ended. 
Seeking to be relevant again. He has no connections to Houston unless Casserly  has been drinking again. 

Its Miller, not Millen

You have the wrong guy. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Miller is just an internet guy, just like Conor Rodgers, Adam Lefkoe, etc... new breed of twitter football experts....they dont actually know anything or have sources....they are just guys on bleacher report.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, joebabyny said:

Either Rodgers or Mahomes play in NY and they are making even more money on endorsements. Watson comes here and somehow the Jets become a top 5 team or win a SB, and the amount of money he makes outside of football salary blows those other 2 guys out of the water. The fact that Watson is a great human being on top of all world talent even furthers this. A case can be made for an increase in revenue potential outweighing the nj tax burden for his salary. I'm no tax expert, but he could have his residence in a tax haven state, and then only his football salary is taxable to NJ, and further I think maybe only his home games, but not sure about that.

I don’t Eli didn’t make that much after two SB MVPs. I think it’s more personality and performance-dependent than what market you play in that’s important.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Watson is a shortcut. And we were already told that there are no shortcuts.

How many times have the Jets acquired and elite QB at 25 and it hasn't worked?

How many times have we kept all our picks and built for the future and it HAS worked?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

Miller is just an internet guy, just like Conor Rodgers, Adam Lefkoe, etc... new breed of twitter football experts....they dont actually know anything or have sources....they are just guys on bleacher report.

Everything just gets funneled through Schefter or Rapaport anyways. Pauline is the closest thing to an insider for the Jets. I'm sure other guys exist...but even most of the TV guys (La Canfora lolz) dont know anything it seems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, QB1 said:

Is that the same or different than the planet where a box safety cancer netted 2 1sts a 3rd and a player. 

That box safety is an all pro. May not mean much to you but it does to GMs. Adams is worth more than Darnold. We still fleeced SEA don’t get me wrong but the two are completely non-comparable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, QB1 said:

Why doesn’t he get them now?

Dunno but it isn’t because he plays in HOU which is like the 4th or 5th biggest city and huge media market in the US FYI. So thank you for helping me with my point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Everything just gets funneled through Schefter or Rapaport anyways. Pauline is the closest thing to an insider for the Jets. I'm sure other guys exist...but even most of the TV guys (La Canfora lolz) dont know anything it seems.

Nobody puts @Mogglezand @football guy in the corner.😎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Millen has been fired from every job he’s had since his playing career ended. 
Seeking to be relevant again. He has no connections to Houston unless Casserly  has been drinking again. 

It’s not Matt Millen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i tend to think watson would most likely want to go to a team that is already ready for prime time.  if he wants to play on a rebuilding team he may as well stay with the texans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Unlike many, I'll be glad if this was true and we skip the route of going for instant gratification.

Yeah, remember when we signed Ryan Kalil? That was awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I’m surprised by this, I though he died after dating Ariana Grande.

Doesn't everyone wind up being suicidal after dating Ariana Grande? I thought that was a thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...