Deshaunapolooza ****Official Deshaun Watson Speculation Megathread**** (Merged eleventy bajillion times)

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

I did! So good. I guess its too late for him to get another real shot at it. I hated the casting for the netflix show. 

I've actually quite enjoyed Bernthal in the role. I've recently been re-watching the Netflix shows again. Can't say I like him better than Jane, but he's quite good, if different -- which also has a lot to do with the writing. Word is, Bernthal may end up returning to the role in whatever form Marvel decides to take with the character, be it another movie, or another series.

Speaking of Jane, he recently said that he'd love an opportunity to direct Bernthal in a Punisher project. That would be pretty cool to see.

• Upvote 3

@pointman I believe Lamar is elite in the scheme that's been built around him. 

I do not believe he would be an elite player in 95% of offensive schemes in the NFL. 

My concern is that when teams inevitably crack Greg Roman's scheme, Lamar's play will decline pretty dramatically. Still should be a good player, but not a league MVP.  

Best indication of that: Baltimore tried to adjust the offense into a more traditional passing attack early in the season and he struggled. They went back to the RPO-first offense and he thrived. Then teams took away his ability to run in the playoffs and he struggled... it's a frightening pattern

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Don’t care what anyone complains about (the lack of the skull, him being an ex-cop instead of a marine, etc) that’s still the most comics accurate depiction.

For damn sure. I'm in the minority but I actually liked Punisher: War Zone with Ray Stevenson too, if only for the scene where he blows the parkour guy up with a rocket launcher while he is jumping through the air. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, pointman said:

He's said he wants out, more or less, no matter what. He gone. He ours. 

I’d love for him to be ours but I’m only going #2 overall, Sam, and a late pick.  Any higher kick rocks for a dude who doesn’t want to play for you, and the #2 pick is worth 3X more then your normal 1st round pick.

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

I've actually quite enjoyed Bernthal in the role. I've recently been re-watching the Netflix shows again. Can't say I like him better than Jane, but he's quite good, if different -- which also has a lot to do with the writing. Word is, Bernthal may end up returning to the role in whatever form Marvel decides to take with the character, be it another movie, or another series.

Speaking of Jane, he recently said that he'd love an opportunity to direct Bernthal in a Punisher project. That would be pretty cool to see.

I guess I will give it another shot. No one felt like more of Punisher than Tom, so I never gave anyone a proper chance. I wish we saw a dark Punisher, and not like the racists in this thread are talking about. I kid I kid. A really dark, sinister version would have been cool. 

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

Jane is a good director too. He did a couple episodes of the Expanse that were awesome. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

For damn sure. I'm in the minority but I actually liked Punisher: War Zone with Ray Stevenson too, if only for the scene where he blows the parkour guy up with a rocket launcher while he is jumping through the air. 

I liked it too, and it may have been ahead of its time 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I’d love for him to be ours but I’m only going #2 overall, Sam, and a late pick.  Any higher kick rocks for a dude who doesn’t want to play for you, and the #2 pick is worth 3X more then your normal 1st round pick.

You drive a hard bargain. I hope it goes from your lips to God's ears. I fear we will end up paying way too much, even though.. again, we (kind of) hold the cards in this one. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Love them all, and Bernthal is great. I am 95% sure I saw him by my job in the lower east side walking his pit bull a few years ago and I didn’t realize it till we were far away. 

I did see and meet Frank Grillo around there, though. Another guy who could play Punisher

• Upvote 2

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

I haven't actually seen it yet, but I heard that the only thing it had in common with the Punisher was the name.

Well yeah, but that's how all the Marvel stuff from the 80s/90s was. Still kind of a cheeseball good time. 

Hell did you ever watch the Captain America movie from the 90s?

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I thought Punisher: War Zone was too silly at times, had awful dialogue and awful acting, and the soundtrack sucked.

But the action was quite good and Stevenson (while not Jane) was good.

And Punisher: War Zone Jigsaw >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Netflix Punisher Jigsaw. I swear, it was so disappointing what Netflix did with the character in S2. So weak. Even watching now, and it sucks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, pointman said:

wtf? Yes. Am I the only one that didn't know that show?

Apparently lol. 

Watch the movie Showtime with Robert Deniro and Eddie Murphy. Shatner plays himself in the movie, giving tv cop lessons to both of them utilizing his time as TJ Hooker. Its hilarious. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Im seeing people on Twitter speculate Culley is for Deshaun. Seems like a lazy game of connecting the dots. They met for a week. Hes a coach for a different team. They are not allowed to speak. They don't play in the same state. I don't see it. 

Deshaun wanted Bienemy. Wouldn't that have been an indication they were going all in for Deshaun? I mean they waited this long anyway. 

Caserio interviewed many minority candidates (Caldwell, Frazier, Culley, and EB) so obviously some part of this was to appease Deshaun or in general to quiet down thoughts of their FO/ownership being racially insensitive.

But does anyone think Deshaun wanted out yesterday. They hired a guy that has never been interviewed by another team and now hes staying? No. 

Prediction: 

This came down to a candidate that was informed Deshaun MAY NOT be there and was cool with it. He was informed that they'll be trading/Cutting JJ Watt and he was okay with it. He was informed that he may need to keep Kelly as OC and he was cool with it. A candidate that realizes theres a very good chance they'll be 0-16/Full Rebuild and is cool with it. The situation screams being Fired in 2 years. Hope this guy holds out for a 5 year deal as he's near retirement. 

Deshaun's agent will again leak to Schefter tomorrow that Deshaun has played his last down for the Texans but it was nice to see the Texans finally consider minority candidates and it shouldn't have taken this long. 

Then it will begin a month of nauseating talk of who Deshaun is getting traded to. Buckle Up. 

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I know people are pointing to them spending time at the Pro Bowl for a week being overplayed, but Deshaun became very fond of Culley and he's been a mentor ever since. So their relationship isn't isolated from that one week. They're also making this hire with hope that Culley, who is a player's coach, can heal the organization and serve as a bridge to a future HC, whether that be someone on his staff (Kelly, McCown) or a top candidate on the open market. At 65, Culley won't be around for long, and once they get past this rough patch the Texans will be an attractive job once again. 

Deshaun found himself wanting out in the first place because his agents reached out to the agents of top coaching candidates and all they heard back was negative sentiment; when they ask around about Culley, not a single person will say a bad thing about him... he's an institutionalist coach who everyone universally admires and respects, and the feedback they'll get is "the Texans got lucky." Lamar Jackson is going to speak glowingly of him. Andy Reid will refuse to say anything negative about it, so it's not like he'll use it as an opportunity to say "they should've hired Bieniemy"... he'll only say positive things if/when asked.

I agree that we may not hear the end of "Deshaun still wants a trade", but again, he has no power... Texans will not trade him. They'll wait until they reach the point of no return before they do. Ultimately, I believe Deshaun will begrudgingly return, they will surprisingly win like 6 or 7 games, bond as a team, and bury the hatchet with their sights set on a better 2022. 

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I thought Punisher: War Zone was too silly at times, had awful dialogue and awful acting, and the soundtrack sucked.

But the action was quite good and Stevenson (while not Jane) was good.

And Punisher: War Zone Jigsaw >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Netflix Punisher Jigsaw. I swear, it was so disappointing what Netflix did with the character in S2. So weak. Even watching now, and it sucks.

Yeah I would agree on all points. It's weird, I'm 38 and have been a comic collector since I was born, so I have grown up every step of the way watching these properties truly evolve into legit movies. 

All along the way, as they came out, I would think "man this is awesome, I cant believe I get to see this live action", and then they progressively got better, and I look back and cant believe I liked some of it. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pointman said:

I guess I will give it another shot. No one felt like more of Punisher than Tom, so I never gave anyone a proper chance. I wish we saw a dark Punisher, and not like the racists in this thread are talking about. I kid I kid. A really dark, sinister version would have been cool. 

In terms of darkness, I think Stevenson and  Jane in Dirty Laundry was the closest. Both were just so detached and tired. Brutally murdering was just a normal day. Bernthal's Punisher is quite brutal, too, though. He's untouched in terms of intensity and violence. What sets him apart, though, is they wrote the character to at least maintain a shred of humanity in order to endear him to a more mainstream audience. He still held a knife to the throat of a pre-teen in season 1, though, lol. I think if they had gotten a 3rd season, we would've finally seen a Frank Castle that's closer to the comics.

9 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Jane is a good director too. He did a couple episodes of the Expanse that were awesome. 

The Punisher is what endeared me to Tom Jane in the first place. Ever since I saw that I try to watch everything he's in or has a hand in. One of my favorites.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Well yeah, but that's how all the Marvel stuff from the 80s/90s was. Still kind of a cheeseball good time. 

Hell did you ever watch the Captain America movie from the 90s?

lol, no. Haven't even seen the modern Captain America movie, aside from Civil War, but that was only because it was a group thing.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Love them all, and Bernthal is great. I am 95% sure I saw him by my job in the lower east side walking his pit bull a few years ago and I didn’t realize it till we were far away. 

I did see and meet Frank Grillo around there, though. Another guy who could play Punisher

Love Frank Grillo. Kingdom series was awesome. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

lol, no. Haven't even seen the modern Captain America movie, aside from Civil War, but that was only because it was a group thing.

Times they are a changing... it was a hilariously badly designed movie lol. 

CapAmerica01.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Dude a black QB is literally the best QB of all time, after he dismantles the Bucs in less then 2 weeks he will officially get the crown of GOAT passed to him.  Sit back and enjoy.

Mahomes already the GOAT? 

He's amazing, but can he play 5 years first?