Would you rather have Stafford, Darnold or a rookie QB?

Bronx

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

A rookie with pick #2.

But if the Jets didn't want to go with a rookie, I'd trade for Matt Stafford instead of sticking with Sam.

Stafford won't be interested in coming here though and I doubt the Jets would be interested in him.

99.9% Zach Wilson will be our next QB. Start building up kid!

• Haha 1

The thing with Stafford is that he likely only has 4 or 5 years left of top end play. We are not a QB away. So at best we are contenders for 2 or 3 years before we need another reset. He should go to a team like the Colts or the 49ers.

I’ve become indifferent between a rookie or Darnold. But both are preferred over Stafford.

But it’s all about Watson until we get a definitive no he is not available.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Just in case the whole Watson thing falls off.

By the way, Stafford is the safest option but too costly for a short term. I think Zach Wilson will be it.

Personally?

Stafford > Rookie > Darnold

Stafford is a known, solid veteran who would help the Jets compete instantly.  Not win the Division or playoff games, but compete, week in, week out, and not embarrass ourselves at QB or Offense.

A rookie is a 70/30 shot.  30% maybe great.  70% bust.  All depends on the GM and the scouting and the pool of rookies available.

Darnold is already a bust, with major, serious flaws that likely cannot at this point be fixed.

If we want to win 8 or more games and play games in Dec. that matter in 2021, Stafford is the best choice of the three.

If we want to take a chance at greatness, and don't care if we're a 4 win team in 2021, then the rookie is the right choice.

Darnold is only the right choice if no other option exists.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Depends on the cost to obtain.

Stafford would be my first choice, then darnold.  But stafford would have to come cheap.

Cheap is a relative term, but with less than half the career remaining, and less than half the contract remaining, Stafford wouldn’t (and shouldn’t) cost nearly as much as Watson.

Depending on the price it takes to get him, hell yes I’d take him over Darnold (no-brainer) and probably over an unknown rookie who may cost this franchise another 2-3 years before they agree to go back to the drawing board yet again (after wasting still more rookies’ cheap seasons and new FA acquisitions around him).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Rookie QB by a long shot. It's not even a discussion.

The only thing that’s not in the discussion is Darnold. If we could flip just next year’s Seattle pick - or even better, just the pick(s) we could get for Darnold, or just Darnold himself - for Stafford? Yeah I’m making that trade and throwing a kitchen sink worth of talent around an excellent QB instead of yet another guess. 

I’m at a disadvantage not knowing enough of these QB prospects to believe in any of them, but that’s me. 

• Upvote 2

Rookie QB, duh.

After that, and this may shock some, I'd sooner suck with Sam for another year to grab a QB high in 2022, rather than hitch our wagon to a stop-gap like Matthew Stafford. I guess I'm just skeptical that he's an "elite" QB. Convince me otherwise.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The only thing that’s not in the discussion is Darnold. If we could flip just next year’s Seattle pick - or even better, just the pick(s) we could get for Darnold, or just Darnold himself - for Stafford? Yeah I’m making that trade and throwing a kitchen sink worth of talent around an excellent QB instead of yet another guess. 

I’m at a disadvantage not knowing enough of these QB prospects to believe in any of them, but that’s me. 

What possible reason would you want stafford? This team is barren of talent and you want to give up a pick for an old QB who has shown his entire career he cant elevate a team with his play? 0-3 in the playoffs with not a single good performance between them. Years of losing and coach after coach.

Let stafford go to the colts and waste their time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Rookie QB, duh.

After that, and this may shock some, I'd sooner suck with Sam for another year to grab a QB high in 2022, rather than hitch our wagon to a stop-gap like Matthew Stafford. I guess I'm just skeptical that he's an "elite" QB. Convince me otherwise.

Stafford is definitely a top 10-12 QB in the league. I hate to compare sports but it's a perfect comparison to a  gatekeeper in combat sports - not a championship level QB but definitely a skilled and talented player who is a cut above the average QBs in the league.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Stafford is definitely a top 10-12 QB in the league. I hate to compare sports but it's a perfect comparison to a  gatekeeper in combat sports - not a championship level QB but definitely a skilled and talented player who is a cut above the average QBs in the league.

And a durable QB.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Rookie QB, duh.

You don’t need elite. You need good enough, and he’s easily good enough. He became an even better QB since losing his impossibly-great WR1. He may not be where he was physically 10 years ago, but that’s what all those years of experience bring, that (statistically) you won’t get from a rookie for a long time, even a deserved #1 overall pick like Stafford.

I’d take elite over Stafford, and would ante up at least another high 1st rounder to get it (considering the other flaws such a QB masks). Stafford is a better QB than Eli, who’s got 2 rings. 

3 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

What possible reason would you want stafford? This team is barren of talent and you want to give up a pick for an old QB who has shown his entire career he cant elevate a team with his play? 0-3 in the playoffs with not a single good performance between them. Years of losing and coach after coach.

Let stafford go to the colts and waste their time.

See post above. Also he’s not old; he’s just not young. Everyone who isn’t in his mid-20s isn’t old.

I don’t put him in the same silo as the 2 QBs we’re watching right now, but he’s a better QB than others who have rings. 

The idea that this team - or any team - is 3 years away from competence is simply wrong. 

Stafford isn’t my first choice, and I wouldn’t throw multiple 1s to get him like I would with Watson, but the Jets would still have more than enough in their quiver for a good GM to build a winner as early as this year or as late as next year. 

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I guess I'm just skeptical that he's an "elite" QB. Convince me otherwise.

Why would someone try and convince you of something that isn't true?

Stafford clearly isn't an elite QB, i.e. top 5 or top 10.

He's a solid 10-15 type.  2nd tier.

That would be several tiers higher than the level of QB play we'd have for the past 20 years or so.

I appreciate fans see things as all or nothing, but there are several gradations between G.O.A.T. and a goat.

Stafford is upper middle class.  He's not upper class (a la Mahomes).  He's not middle class or lower class (a la Darnold).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

See post above. Also he’s not old; he’s just not young. Everyone who isn’t in his mid-20s isn’t old.

I don’t put him in the same silo as the 2 QBs we’re watching right now, but he’s a better QB than others who have rings. 

The idea that this team - or any team - is 3 years away from competence is simply wrong. 

Stafford isn’t my first choice, and I wouldn’t throw multiple 1s to get him like I would with Watson, but the Jets would still have more than enough in their quiver for a good GM to build a winner as early as this year or as late as next year. 

Point is, he isnt getting better at 32. He wasnt good enough in his prime, he will never be good enough. He lucked out playing on the lions where nobody cared about them. On a big market team he would have been hammered for his play. He has a Jay Cutler type demeanor where he doesnt seem to care even 1 bit about winning.

We shouldn't want any part of him. At best he makes us a mediocre to bad treadmill team. Just like his current team.

• Upvote 1