As much as I hate to admit it, you are witnessing history

16 hours ago, freestater said:

He bugs me a lot less in Tampa Bay. 

Not nearly as bad as it would if Belichick continued being unbeatable without him. 

I feel the same way, if he wins it’s a middle finger to Belly, Kraft and the Patriots on many levels!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

remember when Brady was hurt and the backup qb's were playing just as good, N.E. was winning anyway, and everyone thought that it was Bellichick who was the genius?   They're both good.

When Brady was hurt Chaddy cakes took the 1-15 Fins and won the East..

• Upvote 1

Just proves who was the main the reason for the success NE has had. BB is a great coach (all time great in his own right) and comes up with some excellent defensive game plans. But they wouldn’t have sniffed the level of success they had without TB. It’s a good sign going forward because BB hasn’t been great at identifying talent in the draft the last few years. Brady masked a lot of deficiencies on that team.

15 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

BB must be so miserable. 

It’s really the only benefit of it to me. Plus you wonder how it’ll affect FA when every turd he lays isn’t called a genius creation months before everyone forgets about it. No doubt Brady cleaned up a lot of deuces he left on the floor. 

Likewise there were other playoff games where Brady crapped the bed in the playoffs himself, including just last year, the 2015 AFCCG, and more. It’s easy to forget now how many multi-pick games he had those first 5 seasons, without scorching passing records in the balance, that still resulted in 3 SB rings.

We’re seeing a lot of QBs last longer due to current medical care, and 12-15 years’ starting experience goes a long way if you’ve still got it physically. For most of the NFL’s existence, few QBs could keep it together enough physically to truly capitalize on all the experience gained. 

McCown is a (very) low level example of that. Put his 2017 QB brain in his 2004 QB body and you’re surely looking at a very different career than that of a journeyman backup. By the time he was really putting it all together from the neck up, he was under-throwing Robby Anderson by 8 yards on several would-be TDs and going on IR if his body was mistreated in a way a guy in his 20s can take repeatedly.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Peteo said:

I understand the dislike of Brady but every team in the league had multiple chances to pick him in the draft.  My question is what did Belichick see that no other GM did?  

Dick Rehbein, the former Patriots assistant coach who in 2000 helped convince Coach Bill Belichick to draft the unheralded Brady.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/this-coach-convinced-bill-belichick-to-draft-tom-brady-now-his-daughters-keep-his-memory-alive/2018/02/02/b610ce94-0820-11e8-8777-2a059f168dd2_story.html

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Yes but I think he's just renting the trophy until Mahomes takes it in 10-15 years or so assuming he stays healthy.  We are watching the beginning of a career that could be Michael Jordan-esque.  If he wins his 2nd SB this soon, the way he's playing?  It's great to watch but it's going to suck for the next 10 years trying to get past them in the AFC.  

They have a salary cap too. They are going to lose players and now that they are paying Mahomes 45 million a year they wont have the money to pay everybody.  Mahomes will be great assuming he stays healthy but the team around him will likely deteriorate with less dough to go around.

From PFF:

Tom Brady has an adjusted completion rate of 68.6 percent over his three 2021 postseason games. 

That marks a 6.5-point drop from his regular season adjusted completion rate, which accounts for throw aways, drops, spiked balls, batted passes, and passes where the quarterback was hit while he threw the ball, per Pro Football Focus. Only Russell Wilson -- who only played one playoff game -- has a lower adjusted completion rate this postseason. Brady and the Bucs made it out of Green Bay with a Super Bowl berth despite his three interceptions to go along with three touchdown tosses against one of the league's top secondaries. Brady hasn't gotten much help from his pass catchers, who have recorded a dozen drops in three postseason contests. The 43 year old's accuracy issues could pose problems for the Bucs offense in the Super Bowl against a Kansas City secondary that allowed the league's fourth lowest completion rate in 2020. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

They have a salary cap too. They are going to lose players and now that they are paying Mahomes 45 million a year they wont have the money to pay everybody.  Mahomes will be great assuming he stays healthy but the team around him will likely deteriorate with less dough to go around.

Yes, but there's going to be a Reid/Mahomes effect that we've already seen with Watkins.

“I’m at the stage of my life now where at first I was like ‘Man, I want to get paid big money again,'” Watkins said. “But then I realized, ‘How much money do I need?’ My family’s taken care of well. Do I want I go to a team and lose, and get 1,000 yards or go to a team that’s sorry, whatever the case may be. Or do I want to come back with one of the best coaches, the best quarterbacks, the best organizations, the best team, the best wideout group — arguably — and come try to fight for another championship?

The Patriots benefitted from it for years and I expect the Chiefs will too.  They may take a step back eventually, but even if they do, Mahomes still looks like he'll blow past the career marks in Yards, TDs, wins and maybe even rings if he keeps balling at this pace.  And keep in mind that in 5 years, there will be 10 or more QBs earning $40M/season and Mahomes' contract will look pretty good.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Agree! No QB has ever thrown 3 Ints in one half in a Championship game and still won. History indeed. 

Lol Sanchez had that disastrous first half vs Pittsburgh - including scoring a TD for the other team - and a decade later people are still saying the primary reason the Jets lost that game was the defense that surrendered 17 and scored 2. Brady throws 3 consecutive picks, his defense gives up 26 pts (easily could’ve been more at the end) to a team essentially starting two backup tackles, and all the win-credit goes to the QB because GB didn’t capitalize on his cruicially terrible throws.

I wonder if Bowles would have gotten blame for the loss, rather than Brady, if Rodgers had run one in at the end like he could/should have & GB went on to win it with a FG in OT. We’ll never know.

Few gave Brady any blame for the Giants’ SB win over them. The way the story is retold, all blame for the loss goes to the Pats’ OL, while people are giving endless s**t to Rodgers now (not that I don’t love seeing it happen to such an insufferable douche) despite his OL being no better than the one that allowed total absolution for Brady in the SB. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Agree! No QB has ever thrown 3 Ints in one half in a Championship game and still won. History indeed. 

He wasn't great yesterday (clearly the story of that game was the Bucs d-line dominating the Packers' o-line) but you can't deny his greatness.

This is a team that had the second longest playoff draught in the NFL going into this year. He has them in the Super Bowl year one.

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Brady has been a starting QB for 19 seasons and has gone to the Super Bowl in 10 of them.

It's truly remarkable.

Just glad he's out of the division. Maybe he'll play ten more seasons* * 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Dick Rehbein, the former Patriots assistant coach who in 2000 helped convince Coach Bill Belichick to draft the unheralded Brady.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/this-coach-convinced-bill-belichick-to-draft-tom-brady-now-his-daughters-keep-his-memory-alive/2018/02/02/b610ce94-0820-11e8-8777-2a059f168dd2_story.html

giphy.gif

^ ^ what rehbein said after i just called him  ?