The GM was always the problem here....

NYJ1

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop.

Watson may not really be that good.  Much like Kirk Cousins.  

Numbers aren't everything.  

You know what, you convinced me.  I'm out on Watson.

Explain Rodgers to me then.

Great QB, multiple MVP awards, one of, if not the, best in the game.

One Superbowl, sure ... but a whole load of "not quite" seasons too.

Is Rodgers the problem??

14 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Todd Bowles made some questionable decisions in NY. Rex Ryan made some questionable decisions in NY. Adam Gase made a LOT of questionable decisions in NY.

However, they were ALL good enough coaches.

The GM meaning THREE people who need not be named, could NEVER give the HC the talent necessary to win. 

I know I'll get a lot of sh*t for this and I don't disagree with Rex, Bowles, and Gase being fired, but I submit to you they screwed all along. There's no way they could have win with how little talent this team had....

i'm not quite sure all of these coaches were adequate.  imo the best that can be said is their contribution to the teams poor record pales in comparison to what mac and idzik did.  i don't throw tanny into the same mix because he did have a hand in bringing in the players that did get the team to the afc championship game.  i think the issue was rex was too involved in selecting the talent and it just didn't work.

19 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Todd Bowles made some questionable decisions in NY. Rex Ryan made some questionable decisions in NY. Adam Gase made a LOT of questionable decisions in NY.

However, they were ALL good enough coaches.

The GM meaning THREE people who need not be named, could NEVER give the HC the talent necessary to win. 

I know I'll get a lot of sh*t for this and I don't disagree with Rex, Bowles, and Gase being fired, but I submit to you they screwed all along. There's no way they could have win with how little talent this team had....

But I was told if we drafted Mahomes or Watson they would've busted here anyway.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

But I was told if we drafted Mahomes or Watson they would've busted here anyway.

There was no point in drafting teh good players because on the Jets they would have been bad players. Except for the good players who were good on the Jets. They were the only ones immune to the green disease.

Also Brady would have been the greatest QB of all time no matter what team drafted him.

Trying to work through this logic, but I’ll figure it out eventually.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There was no point in drafting teh good players because on the Jets they would have been bad players. Except for the good players who were good on the Jets. They were the only ones immune to the green disease.

Also Brady would have been the greatest QB of all time no matter what team drafted him.

Trying to work through this logic, but I’ll figure it out eventually.

The excuses are just fan self-soothing...

New York Jets Pacifier | New york jets, Pacifier, Jet

No doubt that the GMs were a major reason for the ruination of the franchise.  Idzik and Maccagnan were criminally incompetent.  Historically awful.  But Rex wore out his welcome.  Todd should never have been hired.  Gase is not fit to coach on any level.

On 1/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, kelly said:

* *   Shhhh !.. don't tell sar ! !   ?

Take a picture of your feet and post it..... That's SAR all the way. In fact, maybe that's why he's always hated Rex Ryan? SAR had a foot fetish before Rex?:)

Adam Gase is objectively, by any measure, a miserable head coach. I think he adds negative value. I am extremely confident a better coach does better than 9-23 the last two years with the exact same talent.

I think Bowles could win if you gave him really good players. We won his first year when Fitz played well and we had Marshall, Decker, etc. But I'm not sure he's much of a "value add" guy either -- a conservative game manager with questionable taste in assistants.

Rex had very clearly defined strengths and weaknesses. The fact that Tannenbaum very clearly became a worse GM when Rex arrived isn't a coincidence -- but clearly Rex showed he could win with good players... At which point he'd want input and then we'd end up with Calvin Pryor.

23 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Adam Gase is objectively, by any measure, a miserable head coach. I think he adds negative value. I am extremely confident a better coach does better than 9-23 the last two years with the exact same talent.

I think Bowles could win if you gave him really good players. We won his first year when Fitz played well and we had Marshall, Decker, etc. But I'm not sure he's much of a "value add" guy either -- a conservative game manager with questionable taste in assistants.

Rex had very clearly defined strengths and weaknesses. The fact that Tannenbaum very clearly became a worse GM when Rex arrived isn't a coincidence -- but clearly Rex showed he could win with good players... At which point he'd want input and then we'd end up with Calvin Pryor.

We beat up on Rex alot but looking back 2 trips to the AFC Championship looking good right now

NYJ1 is right to focus on the GM.  For the most part, teams with the best rosters win games.  And an average HC can win with the right roster.  There a few HCs who can transcend that.  Shula comes to mind.

Gase is not a HC and should never have been hired.  Rex was talented but couldn't control his ego.  He was more important than his players...a mistake Saleh seems to understand.

Bowles was mediocre.  Good team, he wins.  Poor team, he loses.  But I think he is a creditable NFL HC.