Smoke Meet Fire... Fire Let’s Get a Deal Done!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30770584/houston-texans-coaching-decision-affect-deshaun-watson-desire-leave-sources-say

Cant paste the article from Schefter.

Really, what option does Houston have? The horses are out of the barn and Houston has no idea of how to get them back in. The incoming coach(no matter who he is) will have a disaster on his hands even if Mngmt. refuses to trade Watson. Only winning can change things and Texans play in a tough division with no 1st or 2nd rd. picks.

Frazier, Biennemy, Bowles or McCown have a decision. Lose the next 2 years with Watson and a depleted roster or trade him, restock with a new Qb, and additional pieces moving forward. Fans upset but at management. You have 2 seasons to show positive progress with two 1st rd. picks in ‘22 & ‘23. This is a no brainer. 

That’s a good situation for any coach to walk into. You’re choice of Qb and the ability to build around him. You may say that’s what the Jets should do...... but you have a much better situation for Watson here in NY. We still have 1st rd. picks this year and next plus 4 additional top 100 picks plus two 5th (130, 138) & pick 162 and 215. We also have over $70 m in cap space and a few key pieces in place.

Add to this a complete coaching staff headed up by a passionate leader of men with great communication skills and an understanding of what it takes to win! I would get my Watson jersey tomorrow if it were available. Beef up the OL and Edge in FA, draft another top WR and CB in draft and fill in the pieces. 8-8 or better next year.

Go Jets!

• Upvote 3

And I don’t give a damn if there are 15 other threads on this. 50% of those that voted want Watson.... I don’t give a crap about Buffalo/KC. I want Watson!

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2
Just now, 32EBoozer said:

And I don’t give a damn if there are 15 other threads on this. 50% of those that voted want Watson.... I don’t give a crap about Buffalo/KC. I want Watson!

Stunad

• Thumb Down 1

avTbz9v4_x96.jpg

…I think what this season proved is that coaching can make a difference in the NFL but it is about 1/10th of the difference that QB play is. The difference between the best coach and the worst coach in the NFL is small; the difference between the best QB and the worst is eons
  • Upvote 4
10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

avTbz9v4_x96.jpg

…I think what this season proved is that coaching can make a difference in the NFL but it is about 1/10th of the difference that QB play is. The difference between the best coach and the worst coach in the NFL is small; the difference between the best QB and the worst is eons

I don’t agree. The best coaches can make the middling QB’s really good with plays that manufacture open men, easy throws, easier reads, etc. Now you absolutely need the guy to make decent decision but nah coaches are not 1/10th as important.

• Post of the Week 1
5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t agree. The best coaches can make the middling QB’s really good with plays that manufacture open men, easy throws, easier reads, etc. Now you absolutely need the guy to make decent decision but nah coaches are not 1/10th as important.

Tell that to future HOF Joe Thomas.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet he was called a playoff choker until he decided to trade up for Pat Mahomes.

QB in the NFL is the single most important thing in all of sports.

NFL HC has the most impact of any coach in all of sports.

Good coaches can show themselves as good coaches like Andy before Mahomes, they become great coaches when they find their QB.

• Upvote 2

You guys realize that you have to give away equivalent value to get him., right?

Didnt we just go through the whole “we have a QB but no team around him “ deal?

what was his record without Hopkins?

I just don't buy it.

If Watson is as good as I'm being told by all of you...he should be able to carry his team to at least being competitive. 

If he isn't then I certainly don't want to trade away 3 first round picks for him.

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

I don't want to fuel another thread on this, but might as well say it: 

The reason why we're seeing all these media narratives that he wants out if Houston is because Watson has absolutely zero power. His reps need to do something to try and make it seem like Watson has a say, but he doesn't... they're trying to force the Texans hand because the Texans hold all of the cards, and if Watson wants to go the sabotage route the Texans can just fine him. His reps know the Texans won't trade him, hence why they're airing out the grievances in the media. Is it possible the Texans trade him? Of course. But they will do it if they want to do it, not because Watson wants it. 

Matthew Stafford is going to get traded. Did we hear any of this nonsense? Nope., because the team and he mutually agreed. If Detroit said no, you'd probably see a lot of the same "Stafford wants out" getting aired out in the media as well. 

• Upvote 3
18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet he was called a playoff choker until he decided to trade up for Pat Mahomes.

Oh with pat mahommes the jets would be playing right now for the chance to go to the super bowl with adam gase as coach.

Literally  no reason for the jets to change coaches this past season.  Just trade 5 first rounders for watson and all will be good.

Watson, gase and the jets as they are are easily a playoff team and most likely here in place of buffalo.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, football guy said:

Is it possible the Texans trade him? Of course. But they will do it if they want to do it, not because Watson wants it. 

Watson can make this really embarrassing for them if he wants to. He can absolutely force their hand in the media.

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, football guy said:

The reason why we're seeing all these media narratives that he wants out if Houston is because Watson has absolutely zero power. His reps need to do something to try and make it seem like Watson has a say, but he doesn't... they're trying to force the Texans hand because the Texans hold all of the cards, and if Watson wants to go the sabotage route the Texans can just fine him. His reps know the Texans won't trade him, hence why they're airing out the grievances in the media. Is it possible the Texans trade him? Of course. But they will do it if they want to do it, not because Watson wants it. 

Matthew Stafford is going to get traded. Did we hear any of this nonsense? Nope., because the team and he mutually agreed. If Detroit said no, you'd probably see a lot of the same "Stafford wants out" getting aired out in the media as well. 

You’re making a lot of sense from a pure agent perspective, but reports saying that the environment and situation inside the team is very toxic. Watson can air the dirty laundry. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

avTbz9v4_x96.jpg

Hmmmmm but what if you gave that coach Sam Darnold and Penei Sewell hmmmmmmm

32 minutes ago, football guy said:

I read your posts carefully, and value your "insider" snippets.

But I fail to see the difference here with Watson;  from players like Jamal Adams, Jalen Ramsey, and Antonio Brown?  Ngakoue?  Eli Manning?

It seems if a quality player wants out publicly, he has leverage to me...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Watson can make this really embarrassing for them if he wants to. He can absolutely force their hand in the media.

No, he really can't make it any more embarrassing than it already is. He can sit out, but then the Texans can fine him $40,000 per day as a no-show and retain his forfeited game checks, all the while the Texans "tank" and make a decision to trade him when they decide to the following year for the same amount.

His situation is not too far off from the Carson Palmer situation. Carson retired because the Bengals had zero motivation to trade him. They wouldn't even trade him after they drafted Any Dalton. It was only after he started the season 6-2 would they begin to entertain offers for Carson. Unless a team blows them away with like 5 1st round picks, I don't think the Texans budge. 

11 minutes ago, Wit said:

You’re making a lot of sense from a pure agent perspective, but reports saying that the environment and situation inside the team is very toxic. Watson can air the dirty laundry. 

It's toxic because they're losing and weren't an attractive head coaching destination. Meanwhile it was just as toxic last offseason, yet Watson signed a 4 year extension on September 3... 

22 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I read your posts carefully, and value your "insider" snippets.

But I fail to see the difference here with Watson;  from players like Jamal Adams, Jalen Ramsey, and Antonio Brown?  Ngakoue?  Eli Manning?

It seems if a quality player wants out publicly, he has leverage to me...

First things first, any non-QB should even be mentioned. Second, a lot of these players were angling for new contracts, which is not similar to Watson who signed his agreement 5 months ago. Second, notice anything about many of these moves? The teams overpaid. Hence... the only way the Texans will move is if they're motivated to move. 

Eli Manning is a legitimate one, however, he wasn't even in the NFL yet and he threatened from Day 1 that he would not play for the team, period. Meanwhile, Giants severely overpaid to jump what amounted to 3 spots. 

Jamal Adams requested a trade after he heard the Jets were entertaining offers for him. Seahawks severely overpaid for him.  

Jalen Ramsey had become a problem in Jacksonville, fighting with the coaches and acting out in practice. He requested a trade because he didn't want to play on a losing team (he claimed it was because Coughlin and Caldwell said "disrespectful things" to him after a game which he got into a verbal altercation with the HC on the sideline." Coughlin was tired of the antics and saw that he was moved. 

Ngakoue was a contract dispute, and the Jags were unwilling to pay him a long-term contract. 

The Steelers wanted to move on from Antonio. 

47 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He could .. and that would be a guy i want NO part of.

• Upvote 1