Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

 

You bring in Watson, you give JD two move drafts/offseasons to rebuild this roster. Don't you think this team SHOULD be able to complete? 

Not when we have to give up at least 3 first round draft picks to do it....ESPECIALLY if the #2 has to be in play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Warfish said:

The reason we need an elite QB is because one of the most elite QB's ever is a consistent loser in the biggest games.

Got it. 

Well your solutions have not work over the years. Time for a new direction. That direction is trading for the greatest Jets qb of all time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

 

ron swanson no GIF

 

We don't face facts around here.  We form opinions and then scower the earth for obscure and unreliable data that supports our opinions!

How long you been on this board???

Too long...way too long.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Warfish said:

The reason we need an elite QB is because one of the most elite QB's ever is a consistent loser in the biggest games.

Got it. 

At least their fans get to experience big games.  While we sit around with our collective thumbs up our asses. 

Which is exactly what we will STILL be doing when we let Watson go to the Fins.  But ooooooh more draft pics...so excited to see more players not live up to expectations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TommyT said:

Well your solutions have not work over the years. Time for a new direction. That direction is trading for the greatest Jets qb of all time.

"My solutions"?

I was unaware that my solutions had been tried.  You do know I'm not actually the Jets GM....right?

I'm confidant you have no idea what "my" solutions were or are today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

At least their fans get to experience big games.  While we sit around with our collective thumbs up our asses. 

Which is exactly what we will STILL be doing when we let Watson go to the Fins.  But ooooooh more draft pics...so excited to see more players not live up to expectations. 

I think we all would agree that we want an elite QB on the NY Jets.  We may disagree on the best route to obtain one, but we all agree we want one.

I'm not sure "let" is the right word in your post above, as it implies we have direct control over the outcome on the Watson situation.  We most certainly do not.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not when we have to give up at least 3 first round draft picks to do it....ESPECIALLY if the #2 has to be in play.

I mean, I guess I just disagree. I think having a high 2nd rounder and two thirds this year. Having a first, a second and two thirds next year and all of our picks in 2023 is plenty. Especially when you know you have a FQB in place. My whole point, and I mention this ad nauseum, is that the Jets can afford to trade for Watson because they have a lot of draft capitol and it won't completely strip them of resources for the next 2-3 years. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think we all would agree that we want an elite QB on the NY Jets.  We may disagree on the best route to obtain one, but we all agree we want one.

I'm not sure "let" is the right word in your post above, as it implies we have direct control over the outcome on the Watson situation.  We most certainly do not.

 

Let is exactly the word I meant.  Deshaun has said that he will no longer play for the Texans.  He has also said that his top team is the Jets.  The Jets have the most ammo.  If we don't get him, it was our choice to let him go. 

 

Praying JD doesn't make that choice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, David Harris said:

 

 but it’s also more than fair you need to START with an elite QB to even have a chance.  Get the elite QB and then get the balance

Houston had Watson, never reached a conference championship - go ahead and blame coaching, but on paper Houston had far better squad than the Jets have today. Having us shed multiple #1 picks to lock a (potential) superstar QB to a crap team might not be the ideal way to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sackdance said:

Houston had Watson, never reached a conference championship - go ahead and blame coaching, but on paper Houston had far better squad than the Jets have today. Having us shed multiple #1 picks to lock a (potential) superstar QB to a crap team might not be the ideal way to go. 

I looked back to see what happened in the 2018 season when they went 11-5.  They lost to the Colts 21-7.  

Watson was 29/49 for 235 yards 1 TD and 1 INT.   Not great but then I saw that he rushed for 76 yards and the entire rest of the team rushed for 29 yards.  That's a problem.  In fact it resembles the Bills box score from yesterday a lot.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

Deshaun has said that he will no longer play for the Texans.  He has also said that his top team is the Jets.

You have sources for those two quotes/claims?  Unless he came out and said both today, I don't think he's said either of those things publicly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's be honest here. What you need is not an elite QB but a first ballot HOF QB.

The last 20 years the AFC has been dominated by first ballot HOF'ers (Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger and now it looks like Mahomes is picking up the mantle. Guys like Rivers have been elite, might even be a first ballot HOF'er who played on some really good Charger teams but in the end could not even get his team to a Super Bowl.

You better have a first ballot HOF'er at QB, a really good OL to protect that HOF'er and a really good HC

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You have sources for those two quotes/claims?  Unless he came out and said both today, I don't think he's said either of those things publicly.

Mortensen said Watson won't play for the Texans regardless of the new HC.   Mort is usually pretty solid but yes he could be wrong. 

Miami Sports writers said that Saleh makes the Jets, Watsons top choice.  The story was retweeted by Schefty who again is usually pretty solid, but could be wrong.  

I'm not trying to mislead or break any news but if you take whats out there as true, the Jets are in the drivers seat for Watson.  Will we make it happen or will we let him go somewhere else?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

Mortensen said Watson won't play for the Texans regardless of the new HC.   Mort is usually pretty solid but yes he could be wrong. 

Miami Sports writers said that Saleh makes the Jets, Watsons top choice.  The story was retweeted by Schefty who again is usually pretty solid, but could be wrong.  

I'm not trying to mislead or break any news but if you take whats out there as true, the Jets are in the drivers seat for Watson.  Will we make it happen or will we let him go somewhere else?  

So no quotes then, no evidence, just media speculation and unnamed "sources", most of which are countered by other media claims from other media talking heads in other towns saying the exact opposite.  And you're talking all the "he totes loves the Jets" chatter as true, and ignoring all the other chatter completely.

Mate, all I'm saying is, chill out.  It's not nearly so cut and dried as you'd like to think, and being dishonest to yourself over it just sets you up for disappointment and misguided anger if it doesn't happen.  It's Lawrence all over again. 

A ton of things have to consecutively go our way for Watson to be a Jet, we're not the only player in the game, and we're not special, and media puffery about preferences is just that, puffery. It's to sell papers and drive website hits.

If the Texans cannot make him happy (tbd) with their coach hire, and if he's is made available (still tbd) and if we're willing to pay the exorbitant price (definitely tbd) and if Saleh and JD want the guy (yup, tbd) and if they evaluate him as worth the picks and who we could take with those picks (definitely tbd), and if we offer a better deal than any other bidder (tbd), it might happen.   

That's a hell of alot of if's.  No, it's not the Jets "letting" him go elsewhere if it doesn't happen.

I'm on record, I want Watson, and I hope we get him.  But I also understand it's a very costly long shot, with a lot of reasons why it might not happen.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PepPep said:

So whats your point lol? What's your argument? Obviously you don't HAVE to have an elite QB to win a SB. Everyone knows that. Trent Dilfer won one. But does it help. Yes. A LOT. Like, A LOT, A LOT. Because you have to get there first. You have to get through the regular season and the playoffs. It's critical to have an elite QB for those games. 

And if your argument is that paying an elite QB is somehow going to drain your resources so much that you won't be able to field a SB contenting team around him, well thats absurd. There are countless examples of elite QBs who had big contracts and made it to the big game or at least were on dominant teams that were good enough to compete for SBs year in year out. Pats, Saints, Hawks, Cowboys (90s), Bills (90s), Giants, I mean I can go on and on and on. It's a complete fallacy that you HAVE to win a SB with a QB under a rookie contract or you're in trouble b/c of his contract.  

What?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, David Harris said:

Love it - more threads! Not being sarcastic! 
 

get Watson! More threads now!

I feel like it’s easier when the threads are more decentralized, otherwise its a slog to see the updates in some mega thread 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

The rest of the NFL should pool their money together and buy Mahomes out, the league will be ruled by him for the next 15 years no reason to play the games.

yeeeeeeeep! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2021 at 10:54 PM, Beerfish said:

Rogers has the same number of super bowl wins as:

Jim Plunkett

Doug Williams

Jeff Hostetler

Mark Rypien

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

Go after Watson by all means if the cost is reasonable, if not pass and build the team and keep looking for a QB.

Plunkett has won 2 SB's and is NOT in the Hall of Fame.  Disgraceful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mo Lew said:

Let is exactly the word I meant.  Deshaun has said that he will no longer play for the Texans.  He has also said that his top team is the Jets.  The Jets have the most ammo.  If we don't get him, it was our choice to let him go. 

 

Praying JD doesn't make that choice. 

Let him go? JD is going to do what's in the best interest of this team.  One door closes, another one opens. JD is in the cat bird seat.  He's got picks out the wazoo, he's got a new psycho motivated HC, he's got FA cash, he's got Watson's attention, he's got options.  Only Macc or Idzik could screw this up.  Here's JD singing out to Watson.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...