Report: Boyer Staying on Board to run Special Teams Under Saleh

JetNation

Brant Boyer

In recent days there has been some speculation as to whether or not the Jets would retain special teams coach Brant Boyer as the Robert Saleh era gets under way and now we have an answer.

The #Jets are retaining Brant Boyer as their special teams coordinator, source said. Some continuity on Robert Saleh’s new staff.

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) January 25, 2021

According to Tom Pelissero, Boyer is in fact staying in place which is good news for Jets fans.

Despite their 2020 staff being unfit for purpose from top to bottom, Boyer was one name that many Jets fans liked the idea of keeping around.

For Boyer, this will be his third different boss after joining the organization five seasons ago under Todd Bowles and remaining in place under Adam Gase. With steady turnover and no established kicker on the roster, Boyer has done a very good job under tough circumstances and clearly has the respect of his peers, finding a way to hang around under three regimes.

Expect GM Joe Douglas to bring in a new kicker this season for Boyer to finally have some stability at the position.

The post Report: Boyer Staying on Board to run Special Teams Under Saleh appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
59bXPijECJE

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

Not particularly strong on my feelings about Boyer one way or the other. The one aspect I do like; Salah retaining a guy he has no real connection previously. Tells me he isn't rounding out the staff eith pals who could use paychecks. He's looking for the talent he has available. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jetswin said:

I wonder what is the basis for those rankings? In all honesty a rookie punter who performed very well, musical chairs at kicker and returner for the most part. Im sure they gave up a big return at some point but cant remember

How this continuing narrative of our rookie punter being good got started i'll never know.  The numbers emphatically state otherwise.

His best feature was making about 4 td saving tackles after our coverage got scorched.

Our return game was blech.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How this continuing narrative of our rookie punter being good got started i'll never know.  The numbers emphatically state otherwise.

His best feature was making about 4 td saving tackles after our coverage got scorched.

maybe good for us lol...i remember tons of misfires from Jets punters in recent memory. For the most part he gets decent distance and hang time, and doesnt out kick his coverage too often, as well as sure handed and pretty tough. Jets have had a couple of tough kickers in their history (Hall, Feely) I like a tough guy at that spot

Boyer was supposed to be an up an comer when hired by the Jets. But, the ST have only gotten worse under his watch, and I emphasize "his watch" because much like any aspect of the team that was not the Offense, I don't think Gase paid much attention to what was going on for ST. I presume Saleh will take more of an interest and set goals or benchmarks for Boyer to meet or exceed. Like not fair catch 98% of the punts, have the punter KO if he has a stronger leg than the FG K, and not seeing the Kicker/Punter have to participate in the tackle on more than 5% of the returns. Whatever, I'm just spit balling. My hope is (and hope is all a Jet fan ever has) the ST will improve under Boyer in 2021 because Saleh will provide concrete expectations and input. 

• Upvote 4

Don't mind this. Boyer has generally done a good job.

Special teams were bad this season, but a lot of that is down to poor talent on the roster.

When you have backup level players as starters, your backups and special teamers aren't going to be up to much.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, jetswin said:

I wonder what is the basis for those rankings? In all honesty a rookie punter who performed very well, musical chairs at kicker and returner for the most part. Im sure they gave up a big return at some point but cant remember

Why do you think Mann performed well? Off what metric? 

He was statistically one of the worst punters in the league, bottom 3 on net average (the most important punting stat) and bottom half on punts inside the 20.

He led the league in punts, and top 3 in punt yards. Neither of which are indicators he is a good punter, just indicators our offense sucked and he had to punt a lot (badly). 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Well, that sucks.

2020 NFL SPECIAL TEAMS RANKING

26. NY Jets 438

Per Rick Gosselin of SI.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to see.

Fine fi Saleh wants to retain him, he better improve this unit materially in 2021, end of story.

15 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

You're not going to have great special teams on a roster like this. These are depth guys from the bottom of the roster. We don't even have a top of the roster yet.

So Boyer just needs time, and (special teams) weapons?

15 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

There's almost nothing you can grade Boyer on at this point.

If only the working world actually worked this way, lol.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Don't mind this. Boyer has generally done a good job.

Special teams were bad this season, but a lot of that is down to poor talent on the roster.

When you have backup level players as starters, your backups and special teamers aren't going to be up to much.

The injury cycle under Gase was an issue here as well. Roster stability will go a long way towards improving special teams.

It will be nice when draft picks are made to improve special teams. Instead of looking for a starting offensive lineman on day 3.

• Upvote 1

I think Boyer has done a good job since coming over. He’s survived two coaching changes and I don’t think that’s just by luck. With an entire new offense and defensive system coming in, special teams will have some sort of continuity. Give him a real KR and PR and give him a legit kicker. 

• Upvote 1

One of my favorite moves of our recent litany of disastrous GMs was Macagnan allowing both Roberts and Myers to leave in the same off-season after having all pro caliber years.   The fact that Boyer didn't rip his heart out shows a lot of restraint.   Another Mac know it all move to save a few pennies and rip apart the best unit on the team.  Haven't come close to stability at either position since then...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

But you also have to consider how many times he punted per game , its hard to be consistent with that many punt attempts.  I agree with the return game , but like the Mann argument , its not like we had many PR chances and when we did it was usually deep in our own end.  KR's are going the way of the dodo bird But I thought Ballentine looked decent in the last couple games .  The main issue I had was with the Kicker , we need to find a solid placekicker . 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

But you also have to consider how many times he punted per game , its hard to be consistent with that many punt attempts.  I agree with the return game , but like the Mann argument , its not like we had many PR chances and when we did it was usually deep in our own end.  KR's are going the way of the dodo bird But I thought Ballentine looked decent in the last couple games .  The main issue I had was with the Kicker , we need to find a solid placekicker . 

I totally disagree with this.  You have one job, the more you punt should not adversely affect your average at all in the slightest.  If anything it should help.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Well, that sucks.

2020 NFL SPECIAL TEAMS RANKING

1. New England 214

2. Seattle 222.5

3. Detroit 235.5

4. Indianapolis 244.5

5. New Orleans 260.5

6. Baltimore 263.5

7. Miami 281.5

8. Buffalo 287

9. Chicago 292

10. Arizona 311

11. Dallas 311.5

12. Cincinnati 316.5

13. Houston 325

Jacksonville 325

15. Carolina 344.5

16. Las Vegas 346.5

17. Philadelphia 361.5

18. Pittsburgh 383.5

19. NY Giants 398

Kansas City 398

21. Denver 413.5

22. Atlanta 420

Tampa Bay 420

24. Tennessee 424.5

25. Washington 425

26. NY Jets 438

27. SF 49ers 451.5

Per Rick Gosselin of SI.

I'd be a bit careful using these or any rankings. Different websites have different ways of measuring special teams.  I've seen other sites where the Jet ST's have been ranked as high as #9 in 2020.  It's confusing...

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The most famous tackle In Jacksonville Jaguar history.?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

So Boyer just needs time, and (special teams) weapons?

If only the working world actually worked this way, lol.

Actually yes, in my working world, I always consider the resources and tools  an employee has at their disposal when evaluating their performance.

It's not like Boyer is the head coach. He's the coach on the roster that gets what's left over after the starting lineups are chosen from the pool of players. The Jets handed him a pile of turds. I don't expect him to make it into a delicious lasagna. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Actually yes, in my working world, I always consider the resources and tools  an employee has at their disposal when evaluating their performance.

Sounds like you're a great and special boss.  I wouldn't presume you are normal in that regard if I were you.

41 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's not like Boyer is the head coach. He's the coach on the roster that gets what's left over after the starting lineups are chosen from the pool of players. The Jets handed him a pile of turds. I don't expect him to make it into a delicious lasagna. 

Specials sucked.  I hope this coming year they don't suck so much.

I think that's a reasonable ask.

Now....mmmmm, Lasagna.