Albert Breer Article: Why Saleh picked the Jets

3 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

This was a good read and in my opinion highlights some of the unfair criticism of the johnsons.  While some of the hiring has not worked out, the organizational chaos and distinction was always myth largely driven by the ny media and embellished by fans and mass media.

Our biggest pitfall has arguably been the lack of coordination in hiring a GM and HC.  Yes Johnson deserves some blame for that but it’s not like hiring a coach first and than gm has never worked.  Same with the reporting structure issue.  The media makes a big deal of it but it really want.  The jets had two gms that were very poor talent and football  guys and we therefore have consistently had anemic rosters.  T/f we never really had a true chance to succeed.  I always thought the Johnson’s have given everyone a fair shot.  Not too long of a leash and not too short.  Finally looks like we have some good people.  But again, it wasn’t organization distinction; that’s a misperception. 

Brandon Marshall said as much the other day.  He said” I’m telling you , they are a good organization, you will get everything you need”.  Think of all the ex players that are fans and loyal too.  Adam’s was one of the few disgruntled and he is certifiably insane.  

I agree with saleh.  Good people that simply needed to be aligned and on the same page

It's all fine and good that the Johnson's support the players and everything.  It's also true that the Jets have the longest active playoff drought in the NFL.  You don't get to that point if ownership is competent.

Saleh's take is far more indicative of what Douglas has brought to the table than anything the Johnson's are doing.  Douglas ran the coaching search.  This was his hire.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Marshmello said:

“When I walked into the Jets [interview], the Zoom call, it was like, Oh, that wasn’t that bad. I was expecting something different. I was expecting something disorganized.

Well dam! Just how bad is our rep around the league? 

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I actually think the Johnsons are pretty decent people and that is one element of why they have struggled.

They may or may not be. But I don't think anyone ever criticized the Johnson's for being jerks.

They have been criticized for being incompetent.

The saying nice guys finish last is an expression for a reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

They may or may not be. But I don't think anyone ever criticized the Johnson's for being jerks.

Maybe not jerks but chaotic inept incompetents and their were hints of toxic ness.  I point to a guy like Greeny.  He has become an incessant apologist and defender of millionaire players. He plays the player victim card more than anyone; especially as a whole does and is right there.  So this summer with the whole Jamal saga, while most level headed folks called Adam’s for what he was, greeny attacked the jets and ownership and gase and created a perception of disfunction.

I don’t think saleh was necessarily referring to anything specific but rather the general perception.  Yea the  perception of being losers is very fair and having hired bad people is also fair.  But guys like greeny and media took it much further.

fwiw, I find greenys whole players are victims narrative beyond ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

i don't see why the johnsons get such a bad rap all the time.  they poured money into the facility and even though they share a stadium they poured money into that too.  and when they've hired coaches and gm's they've given them pretty long leashes.  with the exception of tebow and favre, i don't think the johnsons actively campaigned for any particular player and who really knows the story behind those guys.  they've just been unlucky at hiring stand up people to run the team.  i'd sure like to know why tanny was forced out.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

i don't see why the johnsons get such a bad rap all the time.  they poured money into the facility and even though they share a stadium they poured money into that too.  and when they've hired coaches and gm's they've given them pretty long leashes.  with the exception of tebow and favre, i don't think the johnsons actively campaigned for any particular player and who really knows the story behind those guys.  they've just been unlucky at hiring stand up people to run the team.  i'd sure like to know why tanny was forced out.  

Plus I think hiring Korn Ferry & Casserly & Wolf is an admission from Johnson pre-Chris that he knows he needed someone else to choose for him. If there was evidence (or rumor) he went against their recommendations - and said recommendations were successful elsewhere - then that’d be different. 

The new structure as-is was surely ok’d by Woody. Chris doesn’t do that behind his brother’s back a week before he comes home.

Re: Tannenbaum, I think the truth is always the most likely. Tannenbaum was forced out because he bet on a bunch of bad players, passing on better ones in the process, and in the end that’s that. You don’t trade a mid-round pick for Tebow and he’s not even usable, give an embarrassment like Holmes a fully guaranteed $20MM, and top it off by guaranteeing Mark Sanchez 2 more years as unquestioned starter after collapsing to close the prior season; then to support that move, trade up in round 2 for Stephen Hill and his 29 college receptions, while your head scout is “pounding the table” for a QB who is an instant success, while the Sanchize collapsing further, with Hill doing nothing to help lol. Maybe throw in a little blame for Peyton Manning not choosing the Jets, justified or not in feeling MT was part of that reason, which then led to the fated extension before a QB-rich draft. 

He did build a roster capable of getting very close, and perhaps we’d have gone all the way had he made a better decision on picking a QB, but that’s as close as he’ll ever get. Sanchez’s extension really did him in; after looking back iirc he saw that as his big regret, which suggests that played a huge part in his dismissal. Anyone can miss on a QB in the draft, but when you double-down on a QB after he’s just failed, and he then fails even further when you had an easy way out instead, the writing is on the wall. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's nice that he "picked the Jets" but until the Jags went with Urban Meyer he didn't sign.  Doesn't that kind of indicate we may have been second choice?  It may have just been based on income tax, but it sure seemed he was waiting on Jacksonville. 

So much so that when Saleh went to get into his car service ride to head off to Florida for his interview with the Eagles, he texted his wife, Sanaa: Honey, if they call, we’re going to New York. They later called and, in a twist befitting Saleh’s good feeling for the organization, he did more than take the job—he actively chose the Jets.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

You remember the trouble Woody got himself into in London? I wouldn't characterize him as a good guy. Also, his associations with high ranking officials bring up red flags. I wish he would stay away permanently. Chris, on the other hand seems like a really nice guy.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Zoom call was different? Must have done some Breakout Room activities. Maybe even a poll. 

JD probably had some subconscious Eastern Mediterranean cuisine images sprinkled in throughout the zoom call that Saleh could not resist.  

Just now, Wonderboy said:

JD probably had some subconscious Mediterranean cuisine images sprinkled in throughout the zoom call that Saleh could not resist.  

Probably had one of those professional looking green screens to make it look like he was conducting the meeting from Fiji or some sh*t. Douglas playing chess while everyone else plays checkers. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Zoom call was different? Must have done some Breakout Room activities. Maybe even a poll. 

I'd also like to point out that the above is a fantastic ******* joke, and if your job doesn't demand that you have to experience the excruciating pain of endless Zoom in order to get it, I am envious of you.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'd also like to point out that the above is a fantastic ******* joke, and if your job doesn't demand that you have to experience the excruciating pain of endless Zoom in order to get it, I am envious of you.

You're lucky if you only have the one platform.  We bounce from skype, TEAMS, Zoom, webex and google meet based on level of security concerns and if we have too many people online for some of the usual suspects to work properly.  The constant platform shifts are a huge cluster****.

• Upvote 2

“A lot of the interviews, you go through it, and you’re like, Huh, that’s exactly what people told me it was gonna be,” Saleh told me late Friday. “When I walked into the Jets [interview], the Zoom call, it was like, Oh, that wasn’t that bad. I was expecting something different. I was expecting something disorganized. Instead, what I got was a very organized interview, a very collaborative interview. It felt like it was done really, really well by them.

I'm almost surprised he'd even admit this in an interview even though it's clearly true.

Props to Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1