Jump to content

Mike Pettine usingvGregg Williams playbook


Recommended Posts

Sorry I tried to paste article but failed. 
Pettine called man coverage on that last play of half to Scotty Morrison and Lafleur will probably fire him  

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Pettine under fire after Bucs touchdown before halftime

Posted by Charean Williams on January 25, 2021, 7:42 PM EST

Kevin King did not have his best game Sunday. The Packers cornerback, who played after being questionable with a back injury, gave up a 39-yard touchdown to Scotty Miller on the next-to-last play of the first half and drew a penalty for defensive pass interference on Tyler Johnson late in the fourth quarter.

But King doesn’t bear as much responsibility as defensive coordinator Mike Pettine for the play before halftime, which frankly has become overshadowed by the final 2 1/2 minutes of the game.

The day after one of the most disappointing losses in the Packers’ long history, tire tracks are everywhere, including down Pettine’s back.

Matt LaFleur’s comments immediately after the game invite a question about whether Pettine’s future already is decided.

“It was man coverage. Definitely not the right call for the situation, and you can’t do stuff like that against a good football team and expect to win,” LaFleur said, via Jason Wilde of Wisconsin State Journal. “When you look at it, there was 120 some-odd plays on both sides of the ball plus all the special teams. There were a lot of plays in that game that could have been made, that could have changed the outcome of the game.

“But the ones that really hurt us the most were that play, and then to come out to start the second half, [Aaron Jones] had the fumble and they score to make it 28-10. That really was the big difference in the football game. You just can’t do that stuff.

“I blame us as coaches for putting our guys in that situation. That’s inexcusable. That should not have happened. So we’ve got to take a look at it, do some self-reflection, and try to figure out ways on how that can’t happen again.”

The Bucs were ready to punt on fourth-and-four from the Green Bay 45 before rethinking it after a timeout. They picked up a first down on a Tom Brady throw to Leonard Fournette to the 39 and called their final timeout with eight seconds left.

Brady saw Miller get a step on King, who was in one-on-one coverage, resulting in a touchdown with one second left in the half and a 21-10 halftime lead.

Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy was among those critical of the Packers’ coverage in that situation, writing, “That may be the worst defensive design I’ve ever seen with 8 seconds and no timeouts left. Green Bay — I’m not sure how you play inside technique man to man and [not] just play zone and protect the sideline and the end zone? Amazing.”

Pettine’s mistake could cost him his job.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Of course he is.  I mean it wasn't Rodgers fault he threw an int before half time.

And it wasn't the DBs fault for letting a guy get behind him.

Probably should have been in more of a prevent type coverage though than single man with no safety help in that situation, no?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

DC doesn’t pldy

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There's going to be blame all around, but they should start with the GM.  Would a position player instead of Jordan Love have made the difference in a 5-pt game?  Patrick Queen?  Tee Higgins?  I think it's a question worth debating if you're a GB fan.

Anyone who's been roasting JD for taking a QB in the 4th round (you all know who you are) should be all over this.

Sarcasm?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that seeing the days of the Cover 0 blitz pretty much end for the Jets is a good thing. The "exclamation point" type of defense gives up so many big plays in hugely negative situations for the opponents.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Larz said:

Sarcasm?

Not at all.  Do you think Tee Higgins on that Packers team might have pushed them over the top by helping them score one more TD?  Or Patrick Queen might have helped them prevent one score?  They would have been more useful than Jordan Love.  That was a GM trying to relive the Aaron Rodgers pick which obviously worked out well for them, but I don't think Jordan Love is that kind of player and I think they were still in a short window of trying to win another Super Bowl with Rodgers.  Personally, I think that was a stupid-a&& pick and looking at it in hindsight, it's pretty easy to criticize.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Of course he is.  I mean it wasn't Rodgers fault he threw an int before half time.

And it wasn't the DBs fault for letting a guy get behind him.

To be fair, there was obvious holding on the play that was conveniently neglected by the refs.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, docdhc said:

Probably should have been in more of a prevent type coverage though than single man with no safety help in that situation, no?

I don;t know, 40 yard line time for maybe two plays.  edge of Fg range, brady crumbles when you get to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that calling Cover 0 in certain situations may not be smart, or even downright dumb, but these are professional athletes. If a DC calls a Cover 0 he is expecting that his DBa should have situational awareness and know not to bite on anything short or play off enough not to get beat deep...because there is no one back there to help them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

There's going to be blame all around, but they should start with the GM.  Would a position player instead of Jordan Love have made the difference in a 5-pt game?  Patrick Queen?  Tee Higgins?  I think it's a question worth debating if you're a GB fan.

Anyone who's been roasting JD for taking a QB in the 4th round (you all know who you are) should be all over this.

Please.  Just look at the game played on Sunday.   14-10 Tampa with a minute or so left in the half. GB is getting the ball to start the 2nd half.  So it should be 14-10 at worst or 14-13  at halftime if GB can move the ball into FG range. Instead, the TB DB blatantly holds the GB receiver's jersey and shoulder pad and steps in front of the pass to pick if off. No call. Horrible.  Then you get the fiasco with 8 seconds left. That is a 7-10 point swing in a 5 point loss.  It doesn't matter who the GB receivers are. That was inexcusable on both the officials' part and Pettine's part.  To go back to the draft and say a rookie receiver wins that game is ridiculous. That receiver could have fumbled like Aaron Jones and cost GB 7 more points rather than been a difference maker.  

 

Your comment is like the people who defend a bad call and say "one play doesn't make a difference" or "they never would have been in that position if they played better".  In the NFL, games often come down to a handful of plays that swing the game one way or another.  In this game, the non-call, the Pettine brain fart, the Jones fumble, the FG attempt taking the ball out of Rodgers hands all were keys to this game.  Not some fictional rookie who maybe could have possibly been drafted and maybe potentially could have made a play this game that maybe was worth more than 5 points.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

To be fair, there was obvious holding on the play that was conveniently neglected by the refs.

You do know who the QB was, don't you? It goes with the territory. ;-)  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, docdhc said:

Sorry I tried to paste article but failed. 
Pettine called man coverage on that last play of half to Scotty Morrison and Lafleur will probably fire him  

 

 

Yup.....take the cowards way out. Fire somebody whose unit forced 3 turnover in the 2nd half, only for you to make one of the worst decisions in NFL history.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pettine is due a lot of the blame but King was horrible all day and also #39 for the Packers was out of position seemed like every play. The real blame goes back to draft night for that terrible pick of Jordan Love and not picking someone who could help them this year. Also taking the ball out of Rodgers hands and kicking that field goal was a stupid move.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, section314 said:

Yup.....take the cowards way out. Fire somebody whose unit forced 3 turnover in the 2nd half, only for you to make one of the worst decisions in NFL history.

The horrible decision that nobody is talking about was going for a 2 point conversion in the 3rd quarter.

The reason they kicked the FG is because they were chasing that point.

Ironically it was foolish aggressiveness in the 3rd Q that caused him to be conservative at the end of the game. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

The horrible decision that nobody is talking about was going for a 2 point conversion in the 3rd quarter.

The reason they kicked the FG is because they were chasing that point.

Ironically it was foolish aggressiveness in the 3rd Q that caused him to be conservative at the end of the game. 

Very good point. Always remember Bill Parcells saying only go for two when you have to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have to say that seeing the days of the Cover 0 blitz pretty much end for the Jets is a good thing. The "exclamation point" type of defense gives up so many big plays in hugely negative situations for the opponents.

This.  Going back to 2009, how many times on 3rd and +10 have we given up 15+?  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Church01 said:

Pettine is due a lot of the blame but King was horrible all day and also #39 for the Packers was out of position seemed like every play. The real blame goes back to draft night for that terrible pick of Jordan Love and not picking someone who could help them this year. Also taking the ball out of Rodgers hands and kicking that field goal was a stupid move.

When you are in the final couple of years of Rodgers and you have a talented team (Adams, Jones)   that is so close....  you just can't and don't pick Love in round 1. That was the WORST possible thing. You pick something to get you over the top.

Horrible draft day decision.  Because of his dislike for Rodgers' saltiness and incompatibility with his prior HC, the GM probably blew his only remaining opportunity to get to a championship.  Should go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the last decade for NFL drafting.  No Superbowl for Rodgers in Green Bay.  He'll need to do it on his next team.  Maybe Indi, NE, Detriot.  Imagine him in NE?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

When you are in the final couple of years of Rodgers and you have a talented team (Adams, Jones)   that is so close....  you just can't and don't pick Love in round 1. That was the WORST possible thing. You pick something to get you over the top.

Horrible draft day decision.  Because of his dislike for Rodgers' saltiness and incompatibility with his prior HC, the GM probably blew his only remaining opportunity to get to a championship.  Should go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the last decade for NFL drafting.  No Superbowl for Rodgers in Green Bay.  He'll need to do it on his next team.  Maybe Indi, NE, Detriot.  Imagine him in NE?

Bet you beverage of your choice, New Orleans.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jmat321 said:

This.  Going back to 2009, how many times on 3rd and +10 have we given up 15+?  

If you told me the number was 50 I wouldn't be surprised. We did it ALL the time Rex and Williams and even Bowles just would not accept giving up 10-12 yard on 3rd and 15. They wanted a sack

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, docdhc said:

Sorry I tried to paste article but failed. 
Pettine called man coverage on that last play of half to Scotty Morrison and Lafleur will probably fire him  

 

 

Greg Williams is a Jets hero.  We were tanking for Trevor and he did his best to keep us in a tough race with Jacksonville.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...