2021 QB roulette

Bronx

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I would love Watson, but I don’t think he will end up with the Jets. If the Texans trade him, I’m still skeptical, they will try hard to trade him out of the Conference. While I do believe Douglas will do his due diligence it will be hard to get him here.

Houston can try to deal him all they want...Watson has the final say.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I would love Watson, but I don’t think he will end up with the Jets. If the Texans trade him, I’m still skeptical, they will try hard to trade him out of the Conference. While I do believe Douglas will do his due diligence it will be hard to get him here.

It won't  be hard, all he has to do is back up the truck and dump all the draft capital he built up for the last 2 seasons. I just think he won't  do it. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It won't  be hard, all he has to do is back up the truck and dump all the draft capital he built up for the last 2 seasons. I just think he won't  do it. 

I wouldn’t do it either. Douglas has a philosophy and should stick to it. Also new HC Robert Saleh in his press conference said there are no shortcuts. However, there may be a way to trade a number of picks and still have picks. For instance thanks to the Adams trade the Jets have five # 1 picks over the next three years. You can trade 3 ones and still have a plethora of picks. However I remain skeptical.

Sure let's dump all the draft capitol that JD has built up, that hopefully landed us a great coach this time, just so we can have that ONE player on the team that will lead us to 4-12 this time next year, instead of 2-14. He'll lead the league in passing and have great completion percentage, but we'll still be 4-12... That should sit well with all of us.

40 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I wouldn’t do it either. Douglas has a philosophy and should stick to it. Also new HC Robert Saleh in his press conference said there are no shortcuts. However, there may be a way to trade a number of picks and still have picks. For instance thanks to the Adams trade the Jets have five # 1 picks over the next three years. You can trade 3 ones and still have a plethora of picks. However I remain skeptical.

Like it all with the exception of trading 3 1st's for Watson. I'm only trading the 2 firsts we got from Seattle along with the third, because they are picks we never had until we traded JA. I'm sure other picks or player compensation could be worked out with those 2 firsts and 3rd. Under no circumstances do you part with #2 this year, should JD choose to trade down to acquire some of those picks back while still trading for Watson.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Like it all with the exception of trading 3 1st's for Watson. I'm only trading the 2 firsts we got from Seattle along with the third, because they are picks we never had until we traded JA. I'm sure other picks or player compensation could be worked out with those 2 firsts and 3rd. Under no circumstances do you part with #2 this year, should JD choose to trade down to acquire some of those picks back while still trading for Watson.

If you want Watson, not only will it take 3 first rounders, please don’t think it’s going to be the 23rd from Seattle, it’s going to be our 2nd  pick. 

56 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I woukd offer them the #2 overall and a 3rd and that is it. They can turn the #2 overall into multiple picks  or take a new QB and have two third round picks in a loaded draft. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

If you want Watson, not only will it take 3 first rounders, please don’t think it’s going to be the 23rd from Seattle, it’s going to be our 2nd  pick. 

I never said I wanted him that bad... it's everyone else on this forum. And # 2 is a deal breaker for me, you want that pick, then you don't have a deal. End of discussion.

45 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

If its the 2nd overall, then I'm not giving 3 picks, it will be 2 1sts.  Otherwise move on, its not that hard.  With the 2nd overall they'll get their Watson replacement with Wilson or Fields, Im not giving more.  If they turn it down, fine

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If its the 2nd overall, then I'm not giving 3 picks, it will be 2 1sts.  Otherwise move on, its not that hard.  With the 2nd overall they'll get their Watson replacement with Wilson or Fields, Im not giving more.  If they turn it down, fine

That #2 overall pick is so much more valuable than any future picks were the draft position is unknown. When the Seahawks gave us two 1st for an All-Pro box safety it was because they were a good to great team and the picks were likely to be borderline bottom half first round picks. Do we really have to give up more than two 1st for a disgruntled quarterback with a no trade clause who wants to play for Robert Saleh? I think not.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

That #2 overall pick is so much more valuable than any future picks were the draft position is unknown. When the Seahawks gave us two 1st for an All-Pro box safety it was because they were a good to great team and the picks were likely to be borderline bottom half first round picks. Do we really have to give up more than two 1st for a disgruntled quarterback with a no trade clause who wants to play for Robert Saleh? I think not.

Exactly.  Especially when youre dealing a player with a no trade clause who by virtue of that clause gets to pick where he wants to be.  I just think if we're really interested JD can sit tight and let Houston come to him and then play hardball with those picks.  Its unbelievably rare for a team to trade 3 1's for anyone.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Sure let's dump all the draft capitol that JD has built up, that hopefully landed us a great coach this time, just so we can have that ONE player on the team that will lead us to 4-12 this time next year, instead of 2-14. He'll lead the league in passing and have great completion percentage, but we'll still be 4-12... That should sit well with all of us.

No, the 2021 Jets would not go 4-12 with Watson under center.  The logic behind this argument has been proven to be dumb time and again.  Stop peddling it.  

Meanwhile, even if the 2021 Jets season ends up disappointing, Watson would then be 26 years old.  This would be a move to impact the next decade of Jets football, not just the next season.

Silly takes, sir.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, the 2021 Jets would not go 4-12 with Watson under center.  The logic behind this argument has been proven to be dumb time and again.  Stop peddling it.  

Meanwhile, even if the 2021 Jets season ends up disappointing, Watson would then be 26 years old.  This would be a move to impact the next decade of Jets football, not just the next season.

Silly takes, sir.

The pick hoarders don’t realize if we’re being brutally honest like 50-75% of those picks are gonna bust anyways ??‍♂️?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

The pick hoarders don’t realize if we’re being brutally honest like 50-75% of those picks are gonna bust anyways ??‍♂️?

For sure.  I know you have to build through the draft in this league.  But those against the Watson trade are inflating the worth of those picks way too high.  And even if you could guarantee all the picks we trade away would have been a hit, an elite QB beats the combined efforts of a talented G, WR2 and TE (or whatever) every time.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Good faith in our GM, and for that matter our new HC, on what to do with those picks, and possible FA moves. Just love you guys willing to throw that all away. How did that work out moving up for Darnold who I might add everyone on this board was t!ts on getting...  So we should waste draft capitol now on both Watson and Lattimore, because so many think that we're only 2 players away.... You know I respect you guys @Jetsfan80 and @Dcat, but this is backwards thinking.

I'll say this once again for those who think they know how to build a team. You build in the trenches first before anything, otherwise you won't have a stable foundation no matter how good your QB is. Once you're there, then you add the skill positions, or along the way if you think the foundation is much stronger. Think of our teams like the sack exchange, and the OL's we've had. I know we've never had a good QB for most of those good teams, but that would have been the time to add one with teams like that. Our best shot should have been to get rid of Todd, and add a QB to that team, or 98 with Vinnie, and he wasn't even elite, but the TEAM behind him was good enough to win the SB. Unfortunately we don't have nearly as good a team as those. Stop trying to fool yourselves into thinking that Watson is going to do us any good until at least 3 years from now, and even maybe not then if the picks you guys are throwing around to send off to Houston and NO, for Watson and Lattimore. Crazy talk. ?

6 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Good faith in our GM, and for that matter our new HC, on what to do with those picks, and possible FA moves. Just love you guys willing to throw that all away. How did that work out moving up for Darnold who I might add everyone on this board was t!ts on getting...  So we should waste draft capitol now on both Watson and Lattimore, because so many think that we're only 2 players away.... You know I respect you guys @Jetsfan80 and @Dcat, but this is backwards thinking.

I'll say this once again for those who think they know how to build a team. You build in the trenches first before anything, otherwise you won't have a stable foundation no matter how good your QB is. Once you're there, then you add the skill positions, or along the way if you think the foundation is much stronger. Think of our teams like the sack exchange, and the OL's we've had. I know we've never had a good QB for most of those good teams, but that would have been the time to add one with teams like that. Our best shot should have been to get rid of Todd, and add a QB to that team, or 98 with Vinnie, and he wasn't even elite, but the TEAM behind him was good enough to win the SB. Unfortunately we don't have nearly as good a team as those. Stop trying to fool yourselves into thinking that Watson is going to do us any good until at least 3 years from now, and even maybe not then if the picks you guys are throwing around to send off to Houston and NO, for Watson and Lattimore. Crazy talk. ?

1. We can build up the trenches while also trading for Watson.  This is not an either/or scenario.
  2. A Watson-led rebuild won't take 3 years.  And even if it did, he'd still be only 28 years old by then.  Plenty of Super Bowl contention years would be ahead.
  3. Comparing trading for Watson to trading up for Darnold is completely laughable.  Just stop.  You're embarrassing yourself. 
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure.  I know you have to build through the draft in this league.  But those against the Watson trade are inflating the worth of those picks way too high.  And even if you could guarantee all the picks we trade away would have been a hit, an elite QB beats the combined efforts of a talented G, WR2 and TE (or whatever) every time.  

I think that's just plain wrong.  If you watched KC v Buffalo, those rosters were stacked.  Great receivers on both sides.  I'm not sure Allen is that good a qb (with the exception of the run dimension he adds).  And yes, Mahomes is great.  But it's also nice to throw a pass to a wr behind the los and record a 50+ yard gain.  None of that would be present on a Jets team with Watson.  He would spend his time running for his life.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

You have created a false dichotomy.  It's not an "either/or" situation. It is untrue that trading for Watson leaves us with empty draft capital. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, addage said:

I think that's just plain wrong.  If you watched KC v Buffalo, those rosters were stacked.  Great receivers on both sides.  I'm not sure Allen is that good a qb (with the exception of the run dimension he adds).  And yes, Mahomes is great.  But it's also nice to throw a pass to a wr behind the los and record a 50+ yard gain.  None of that would be present on a Jets team with Watson.  He would spend his time running for his life.

Part of Allen's success this year was Diggs and the rest of the supporting cast.  A bigger part of his success was the improvements he made himself.  He was an inaccurate, turnover prone QB his first 2 years in the league. 

He didn't suddenly find accuracy or better decision making because of his surrounding talent.  He worked insanely hard to get to this point where he has the look of, and production of, a top 10 QB, which isn't supposed to happen for a QB with his resume. 

And no, Watson wouldn't be "running for his life".  Because quality QB's like Watson make their OL better through better pre-snap reads and by getting the ball out quickly.  The OL really wasn't that bad this year.  It wasn't good or even average, but it wasn't bad.  Most of Darnold's problems were holding onto the ball too long.  The OL looked just fine when Joe Flacco was under center.  And the numbers support this viewpoint.  Darnold sucks a LOT more than the Jets Offensive Line did.  

And adding Watson would not at all prevent the Jets O-Line from improving.  We have a lot of free agent dollars and would have plenty of picks left to find some upgrades at G, C and RT.  With or without Watson, we all know the OL needs work.  It's just not nearly as bad as its currently situated as people think.