Matt Stafford

riggy001

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Do you believe otherwise?

I can wish all I want - I just don't see how you turn this team around this year.  

And that’s the narrative this franchise has been selling us on for 10 years

Ignore all the wasted draft picks, dumb free agent signings, dumb coach hires, trading for Tim Tebow, pretending Hackenberg and Petty even belonged in the nfl.  You just need patience 

7 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Fix the QB position. It's the easiest and quickest way to put a competitive product on the field. Not having the worst QB in the NFL as Jet QB 3 years running will do wonders for the team's record.

I agree.  But a rookie QB isn't taking this team to the playoffs.  And we will have a rookie QB.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And that’s the narrative this franchise has been selling us on for 10 years

Ignore all the wasted draft picks, dumb free agent signings, dumb coach hires, trading for Tim Tebow, pretending Hackenberg and Petty even belonged in the nfl.  You just need patience 

I don't disagree, my question to you is what do you want us to do about it?

I mean I get it, but it's true.  We're constantly rebuilding because we can't find good players.

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

You guys are nuts ... I invite you to study his stats and come back to this discussion ... guy is a beast.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Dunnie a few years ago i gave reasons why we needed cousins. I gave lots of data just like you are asking others tO explore. I put up good valid arguments about how cousins should be considered.

in the end, i was wrong. So are you. When you hear the name cousins or Stafford, you dont think about a star qb. Thats because they arent.

we need a top ten guy and thats someone else hopefully a future draft pick

I read a lot. Sometimes, I do it to make money. Yet, I could not bring myself to read the main post of this thread. I will assume it is the idea of bringing in Matthew Motherf'ing Stafford. F THAT. We have FOUR first rounds picks in the next two years. I have seen nothing but garbage quarterback play for a long time now. I don't want someone elses reject. There are several top tier quarterbacks (according to people paid to evaluate these things even though they are often times wrong). Trevor Lawrence. Zach Wilson. Justin Badass Fields. Trey Lance. Watson. GET. ME. ONE. OF. THEM. JUST ONE. 

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's not the right fit for a rebuilding team.  The Jets are 2-3 years away from seriously contending and then he will be 35-36. Plus he is starting to break down. He missed half the season last year with a back injury and injured his thumb (but played through it) this season.  He's a good fit for a win now team like Indy.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in NE as Belichick makes a push for a title the next year or two before he retires.

I say set up a 40 yard dash between Stanford and Rivers. If either one makes it to the finish line, get em. 

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

I read a lot. Sometimes, I do it to make money. Yet, I could not bring myself to read the main post of this thread. I will assume it is the idea of bringing in Matthew Motherf'ing Stafford. F THAT. We have FOUR first rounds picks in the next two years. I have seen nothing but garbage quarterback play for a long time now. I don't want someone elses reject. There are several top tier quarterbacks (according to people paid to evaluate these things even though they are often times wrong). Trevor Lawrence. Zach Wilson. Justin Badass Fields. Trey Lance. Watson. GET. ME. ONE. OF. THEM. JUST ONE. 

Watson is the coup de grace.  

27 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Dunnie a few years ago i gave reasons why we needed cousins. I gave lots of data just like you are asking others tO explore. I put up good valid arguments about how cousins should be considered.

in the end, i was wrong. So are you. When you hear the name cousins or Stafford, you dont think about a star qb. Thats because they arent.

The problem with Stafford is he's been asked to carry a bad franchise when there was a top NFL Franchise with a historically good QB in his division ever year.  He could have a 1998 Vinny T year easily in the right situation.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The problem with Stafford is he's been asked to carry a bad franchise when there was a top NFL Franchise with a historically good QB in his division ever year.  He could have a 1998 Vinny T year easily in the right situation.  

Possibly, but the Jets clearly aren't it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

First off it isn't  lime Stafford never played with talent.  He has had great WR in Megatron and Galloday. He just has not gotten that team over the hump. Secondly, Stafford won't want to play on the Jets.  

Calvin Johnson also had great stats because Stafford got him the ball.  Galloday when healthy had great stats.  Yea they were great and Stafford actually got them the ball down the field.  It's not like Johnson and Galloday were held back by Stafford.  They were unbelievable because Stafford got them both the ball down field a lot.  

7 hours ago, riggy001 said:

I have been giving this some more extended thought recently. At first, i dismissed it any many of you have, he is going to be 33 next month, not a fit for the Jets. That said, with so many Qbs still effective in their late 30s, and even 40s, rivers, brees, brady, ben, rodgers, etc., could easily argue that Matt is still in prime, with 4-5 very good yrs left. The other variables are even more favorable, signed for 2 more yrs at 45 million( border Line  cheap) for a qb with his resume. The draft capital will be Much less to give up compared to Watson, likely our 23 and a third or 4th gets it done. We can then trade out of 2, knowing we have a gd qb secured, and get the haul we all expect...and we still have our high second and 2 1st rounders next yr, as well as whatever we get for Sam.

Stafford has been pretty good in his career but he also has had some talent around him Megatron and now a couple WRs that are really good. Sam would easily be seen as better than stafford if careers were switched. But since Sam has been defrauded by the Jets since being here, you have peopel that think Stafford is a better QB, he is not.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

True or not...That is, in fact, the situation we're in right now for sure.  There's few scenarios where this is a playoff team within the next two years.

There is a scenario that has seen a 7-9 team signed a 43 year old QB and turn into a Super Bowl team though.

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Calvin Johnson also had great stats because Stafford got him the ball.  Galloday when healthy had great stats.  Yea they were great and Stafford actually got them the ball down the field.  It's not like Johnson and Galloday were held back by Stafford.  They were unbelievable because Stafford got them both the ball down field a lot.  

Yeah, just look at all those playoff appearances.  

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Flowchart of QB decision making:

Is your current Quarterback the worst in the NFL

[X] Yes

[  ] No

If yes, Is the player available not or not likely the worst quarterback in the NFL.

[X] Yes

[  ] No

If yes, consider upgrading to the available quarterback.

If Sam Darnold has a winning record against you then you're not allowed to quarterback my team.  

49 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure, if the greatest QB of all-time becomes available then you're right we are likely to make the playoffs.  I agree.

Stafford today, with the tools/team Brady had would match his production.  

And is 8 years younger.  Stafford without fanfare has put up HOF numbers while playing on shltty teams

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I can see stafford in Denver.  Fangio knows him well from coaching against him for years.

And denver has a ton of talent at receiver with Sutton, Jeudy, patrick and fant.  He would put up crazy numbers in Denver.

What exactly would stop him from doing the same as a Jet after FA and the draft?

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Thank you!

If Stafford is the answer for a team like ours, why is Detroit getting rid of him?

Detroit isn't some power house; the day they trade Stafford they will need a QB!

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Stafford has been pretty good in his career but he also has had some talent around him Megatron and now a couple WRs that are really good. Sam would easily be seen as better than stafford if careers were switched. But since Sam has been defrauded by the Jets since being here, you have peopel that think Stafford is a better QB, he is not.

On what metric is Sam better than Stafford?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I like Stafford and would have no problem going after him if the cost is fairly cheap.  No he is not long term solution but he is a good Qb for 3 or 4 years or until you get the young guy that you do not have to force into playing.

All true. And sad. I don't know what is worse, wasting another season hoping for the unlikely emergence of a consistently good Sam Darnold or s3 years of Stafford.  It would be like settling for the ugly girl at the prom, but for the next 3 years. 

10 hours ago, Biggs said:

Calvin Johnson is putting up stats with Hackenberg 

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!

If Stafford is the answer for a team like ours, why is Detroit getting rid of him?

Detroit isn't some power house; the day they trade Stafford they will need a QB!

Detroit isn't exactly the model to look to for answers.  You might even consider if Detroit is doing it they got it backwards.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, riggy001 said:

I have been giving this some more extended thought recently. At first, i dismissed it any many of you have, he is going to be 33 next month, not a fit for the Jets. That said, with so many Qbs still effective in their late 30s, and even 40s, rivers, brees, brady, ben, rodgers, etc., could easily argue that Matt is still in prime, with 4-5 very good yrs left. The other variables are even more favorable, signed for 2 more yrs at 45 million( border Line  cheap) for a qb with his resume. The draft capital will be Much less to give up compared to Watson, likely our 23 and a third or 4th gets it done. We can then trade out of 2, knowing we have a gd qb secured, and get the haul we all expect...and we still have our high second and 2 1st rounders next yr, as well as whatever we get for Sam.

Stafford leaving a clusterF team and he wants to go to another one?  I dont see it.

I peg Stafford for Indy, because he will be cheaper than Rodgers. 

Feel me out on this.

-- Indy's #21 to the Lions for Stafford.  Ready made team, he stays in a dome, good offensive mind at coach, and he can be their qb for 5-8yrs.

--  Rodgers to the Redskins, for #19 this year and a 1st next year.  He gets a baby sh*t soft division, Rivera will let him do what he wants on offense, there is some talent there, Snyder loves to make a splash and has been desperate for a star qb since he bought the team.  Rodgers would make McLaurin a top 5 wr.

--  Watson stays put.  Texans be awful the next 2 yrs.  Hire Bienemy to placate the qb, knowing he will flop out as you rebuild 

-- Lions trade the 7, 21 & 72 picks in this draft, plus a first round pick next year, to the Jets for the #2 pick.

Give the Jets 3 first round picks in back to back years.  If Douglas is competent, that is Cowboys style rebuild.

That is all my over thinking for the day.

19 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Flowchart of QB decision making:

Is your current Quarterback the worst in the NFL

[X] Yes

[  ] No

If yes, Is the player available not or not likely the worst quarterback in the NFL.

[X] Yes

[  ] No

If yes, consider upgrading to the available quarterback.

could you put that into visio for us? I'm having trouble following.

• Haha 1