Matt Stafford

riggy001

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Matt Stafford is a never was.  0 playoff wins in a 12 year career despite having the GOAT WR for 8 of those years and now the lions are desperate to get rid of him.  Oh and he’s 33 with an injury history,  can’t wait to give up 3 first round picks for that!

And thats as much a indicator that you dont understand the QB position as there is

17 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

So you think Sam wasn't playing as good as rosen? That is a big leap. I'm just simply saying he showed ona very limited basis of a last 5 or 6 weeks of high level play..3 tds extending plays etc...and that was with nothing really around him just a modern gameplan. If he had got just that with same players he had with gase he would have had alot more wins and would be seen on par with some one like stafford. But the big deference is that Sam can make all the throws and also scramble and run...we might not agree on ceiling but you can't just pretend he didn't play well and certainly much better than rosen....

So Sam Darnold is better than Josh Rosen.  Sweet!

You do realize the Cardinals gave up on him after just 13 games under center and got a massive upgrade at QB a few months later?  Darnold has shown no more promise than Rosen and has had 3 years to do so.  Upgrading at QB is what you should be hoping the Jets should be doing this offseason, not putting your hope in Darnold's supposed "ceiling".  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So Sam Darnold is better than Josh Rosen.  Sweet!

You do realize the Cardinals gave up on him after just 13 games under center and got a massive upgrade at QB a few months later?  Darnold has shown no more promise than Rosen and has had 3 years to do so.  Upgrading at QB is what you should be hoping the Jets should be doing this offseason, not putting your hope in Darnold's supposed "ceiling".  

I'm not sure why your argument moved so much, all your points seem a little off. Sam is on sam level if not better than stafford. His play showed it his rookie season, and this season we will find out if it was a fluke or not. You brought up rosen, ridiculously I might add, and I'm not putting hope in ceiling - which I believe could be great, but merely that he given nothing but a modern system would outperform stafford 10 out of 10 times. That my friend we will see this season.

So let's stop with all the silly stafford or other qb trades...let's stick with our guy and give him a chance. After the season I think everyone will be team darnold who has tons of talent and ability. 

It will be great to see them on display this year

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I'm not sure why your argument moved so much, all your points seem a little off. Sam is on sam level if not better than stafford. His play showed it his rookie season, and this season we will find out if it was a fluke or not. You brought up rosen, ridiculously I might add, and I'm not putting hope in ceiling - which I believe could be great, but merely that he given nothing but a modern system would outperform stafford 10 out of 10 times. That my friend we will see this season.

So let's stop with all the silly stafford or other qb trades...let's stick with our guy and give him a chance. After the season I think everyone will be team darnold who has tons of talent and ability. 

It will be great to see them on display this year

I don't have much interest in Stafford.  But no, Sam is not on anywhere close to the same level as Stafford, lol.  No metric supports this.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

not sure if this was posted and not sure who Dan Sileo is lol

He's somewhat of a hack, and I think he guesses a lot, but the 49ers are reportedly his preferred destination. Not hard to imagine as everyone wants to work with Shanahan, just like Tom Brady did (people forget the 49ers were his 1A to the Bucs). 

It sounds like the interest is mutual and being that the Lions legitimately want to do right by Matthew, this one may get done soon. Colts will have to offer significantly more to get him, and with Lions being very diplomatic Matthew has say which makes it tough. A trade to SF would open up Jimmy G to end up in Chicago, New England, or Washington with an outside chance of the Jets or Colts going after him. 

I would think JG will be traded instead of cut, and he'll restructure (and reduce) his salary in exchange for some guaranteed money

• Upvote 1

The man-love for Stafford on jet messageboards for over 10 years has been remarkable 
... I concur… the only thing that Surpasses this perplexing anomaly, is the equally astonishing love for a 4 and 12 quarterback simply because hes the flavor of the month fantasy star... ignoring the fact that his contract will kill us and the compensation to get him will be ludicrous.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Trade #2 for Stafford and #7.  Draft Chase or Smith, OL and RB with your next two picks.  Sign Robinson, Godwin, or JuJu.  Suddenly, the Jets have a completely new, competitive offense stabilized by a solid veteran quarterback, and they still have all their ammo to continue building the team next year.

I like this plan much better than trading a bazillion picks for Watson.

This requires the Lions to fall in love with someone at #2, but the compensation sounds about right, and they would be unloading Stafford to an AFC team.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Stafford has been one of my favorites for so long. If we don't get Deshaun 2 for 7 and Stafford plus a mid rounder would be an amazing start to this offseason. 

You literally can't even evaluate offensive talent like Herndon and Mims without a QB. I would take Stafford in a second. 

I didn't think he would ever consider us until I saw fbg post above with this tweet. Get Him!

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2021 at 7:06 PM, mudcat22 said:

I was wondering if the Lions would swap first round picks #2 to Lions and #7 and Stafford to Jets.

lol. They literally said they want to trade him for the assets to get a Franchise QB. Thats like directly saying 7 and Stafford for 2. If we dont get Deshaun its a great option. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

... I concur… the only thing that Surpasses this perplexing anomaly, is the equally astonishing love for a 4 and 12 quarterback simply because hes the flavor of the month fantasy star... ignoring the fact that his contract will kill us and the compensation to get him will be ludicrous.

Unless you want to trade 5 first round picks for Watson you just know nothing about football

16 hours ago, slimjasi said:

How is it possible to be this delusional about a player? Some of you guys fell really hard for Sam. Wow 

Just look at talent and situation...Sam has the tools and much better ability than stafford. I get it, it's hard to see for a casual watcher but stafford in on jets would have done worse than darnold because he can't move like sam. 

Just pretending that Sam was held back by Gase then you are delolusional. Time will tell but my bet is Sam perform much better next year and will remain the jets qb the next 5 years. If Sam was on lions which were not some great team because fo def but had some offensive power, Sam would have done better than stafford.

You guys want to think Sam just can't play and makes bad decisions but I think those bad decision were mainly due to bad situations he was out in with no way out. Sam is a ??

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Unless you want to trade 5 first round picks for Watson you just know nothing about football

Well didn't you know that the watson would make us so much better? I mean look what he did last year on a more talented and coached team. He killed it. He is way better than sam

This is false

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dunnie said:

JN hates good QB's but loves Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith and Sam Darnold.  

And lol at the contract complaint.  $29M on average per year for an elite QB is a bargain, you maniac.  11 QB's in the league currently make more than that per year, including the likes of Kirk Cousins and Carson Wentz.  Jacoby Brissett makes $28M per year and Jimmy Garoppolo gets $27.5M per.

Eventually, a QB worth having is a QB you have to pay.  Stop worrying about Woody and Chris Johnson's wallets, or the cap space Joe Douglas has to work with.  He's got plenty.

• Upvote 2

And lol at the contract complaint.  $29M on average per year for an elite QB is a bargain, you maniac.  11 QB's in the league currently make more than that per year, including the likes of Kirk Cousins and Carson Wentz.  Jacoby Brissett makes $28M per year and Jimmy Garoppolo gets $27.5M per.
Eventually, a QB worth having is a QB you have to pay.  Stop worrying about Woody and Chris Johnson's wallets, or the cap space Joe Douglas has to work with.  He's got plenty.
I'd rather build the house first before adding the home theater.

• Upvote 1

Jimmy G has 2 more years on his deal at about 24 per. I could see the Patriots trading for him and Beli is friends with Shanahan and gave him a good deal when the Niners obtained him. So maybe get him for a 2nd round pick. I could see the Patriots trying to cut Jimmy’s salary down maybe give him an extension but for less money after the 48. As for us trading for Jimmy I don’t see it since him and Sam probably the Jets FO thinks are comparable. Actually when healthy Jimmy has played better. 

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I'd rather build the house first before adding the home theater.

Home theaters are Running Backs and Box Safeties.  QB's are the foundation.  Your analogy is silly.

And where is the QB coming from, in your master plan?  Just pluck one off the QB tree?  They're always available, after all!

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one loves marc sanchez or geno, people hopes they would play well but they did not. People like name because he has potential. He will have to do something with it now that he is out from under gase, like when he was a rookie

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

that because JN is so use to losing we value draft picks more than great players.

the draft is a crap shoot. 2/3 are busts. you draft to someday hope to get a future HOF QB like Watson. but no, we dont want to give up too many #1 draft picks . on players who COULD BE great, or COULD BE busts. Watson IS ALREADY great

• Sympathy 1

Home theaters are Running Backs and Box Safeties.  QB's are the foundation.  Your analogy is silly.
And where is the QB coming from, in your master plan?  Just pluck one off the QB tree?  They're always available, after all!
I dunno .. I could have sworn we had the 2nd overall pick this year .. Wilson or Lawrence .. or trade fir even more picks, roll with Darnold. Complete a beastly oline, draft edge and we are on our way fir much less $$$ than a QB that has won exactly nothing.

The stupidity raging over Watson is nauseating.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

I dunno .. I could have sworn we had the 2nd overall pick this year .. Wilson or Lawrence .. or trade fir even more picks, roll with Darnold. Complete a beastly oline, draft edge and we are on our way fir much less $$$ than a QB that has won exactly nothing.

The stupidity raging over Watson is nauseating.

>50 % chance Wilson/Fields busts based on historical trends.

The only stupidity is coming from those who would be against acquiring an elite young QB. Simply madness, especially considering the Jets haven’t had that in 50+ years.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

No one loves marc sanchez or geno, people hopes they would play well but they did not. People like name because he has potential. He will have to do something with it now that he is out from under gase, like when he was a rookie

lol. “Potential”.

Sam Darnold is Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. There is no difference.