Jeremiah's Top 50

prime21

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

i'm still floored at saying Sewell has the most upside in the class and he's ranked 10th

the draft is always about upside 

side note has this board become like DJ central? He's the only source allowed to start thread?   it's all DJ all the time around here 

Because he knows his sht and most NFL draft heads agree with him. Feel like him, Mayock (wont be seeing those anymore) and Cosell are the top guys I'd wanna listen to when ranking prospects. But sure we can list off Matt Millers top 10 to change things up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The rule of scarcity dictates draft values. It is why trading into a top pick to get a QB is often a kings ransom. You want an OT? no worries, there are 5 ranked in the top 30 overall players. Edge rusher, LB, CB, WR? A little pressure but not too much because 4 of each are in the top 30. 

oh... what's that you say? You want a TE? There is one. Unless you want to sit around and wait to see if you can get the only other TE ranked in the top 50? Freiermuth at 38. Who would be the third? Kenny Yeboah? Man oh Man, the price for Pitts goes up every day. The kid is a unicorn and their ain't a whole lot to speak of as Plan B if you are looing for a TE.

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Depending on his workout numbers, Rousseau should be in play at 2.

I know most will groan at taking a DE but the Jets really need to invest in an EDGE. It wouldn't be the worst pick in the world. 

Only issue is you're looking at year old game film... no substitute for experience.

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I know most will groan at taking a DE but the Jets really need to invest in an EDGE. It wouldn't be the worst pick in the world. 

Only issue is you're looking at year old game film... no substitute for experience.

For sure. Again I haven’t taken a look at the EDGE guys really, but he’s 6’6 and you see what Young did as a rookie. Depending on his workout you at least have to do your due diligence.

If the Jets decide not to go QB for whatever reason, EDGE needs to be in play. The Jets are desperate at that position and have been since Abraham. You cannot go OT again.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

For sure. Again I haven’t taken a look at the EDGE guys really, but he’s 6’6 and you see what Young did as a rookie. Depending on his workout you at least have to do your due diligence.

If the Jets decide not to go QB for whatever reason, EDGE needs to be in play. The Jets are desperate at that position and have been since Abraham. You cannot go OT again.

i hear you, the jets as well as most every other team could really use a real pass rusher.  but then you have to consider how bad the offense has been for the past 10 years and realize that they need to invest that first pick in an offensive player whether they trade back or not.  if they trade back to the 4-6 range i would hope the target is chase or pitts.  we lament that someone like robbie anderson leaves via FA when he's the only home grown wr worth anything we've had in forever, and we keep importing wr/te/rbs.  time to finally invest in top flight offensive talent and hope that the combo of mims and the 2021 rookies are truly the backbone of a much better offense

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I stopped reading Daniel's rankings after seeing his first 5.

Of all the talking head draft guys, as a Jet fan, he's probably the guy you want to listen to.

Was actually a scout on 3 NFL teams, Ravens, Browns, Eagles.  He and Joe Douglas are friends.  As a matter of fact Adam Schefter wrote that it was high probablity that Douglas was going to hire him into the Jets front office.  

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i hear you, the jets as well as most every other team could really use a real pass rusher.  but then you have to consider how bad the offense has been for the past 10 years and realize that they need to invest that first pick in an offensive player whether they trade back or not.  if they trade back to the 4-6 range i would hope the target is chase or pitts.  we lament that someone like robbie anderson leaves via FA when he's the only home grown wr worth anything we've had in forever, and we keep importing wr/te/rbs.  time to finally invest in top flight offensive talent and hope that the combo of mims and the 2021 rookies are truly the backbone of a much better offense

QB, EDGE, Receiver in that order. If Chase is rated above the pass rushers then just go there. OT at 2 is asinine. CB at 2 is asinine. Still think it has to be QB, but I’m guessing the Jets are going to do this run around again and try to squeeze blood out of the Darnold stone, which will predictably fail.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt39 said:

QB, EDGE, Receiver in that order. If Chase is rated above the pass rushers then just go there. OT at 2 is asinine. CB at 2 is asinine. Still think it has to be QB, but I’m guessing the Jets are going to do this run around again and try to squeeze blood out of the Darnold stone.

i agree that cb or OT at 2 is not happening.  if they stay at 2 it's wilson.  if not i expect them to trade back so they can take a top wr and really help darnold out right away, along with whomever they sign in FA.  i figure the seattle pick is for a pass rusher and day 2 for cb/rb

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i agree that cb or OT at 2 is not happening.  if they stay at 2 it's wilson.  if not i expect them to trade back so they can take a top wr and really help darnold out right away, along with whomever they sign in FA.  i figure the seattle pick is for a pass rusher and day 2 for cb/rb

I don’t see the Jets trading back because if someone is willing to move up for Wilson then the Jets just have to take him. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

he's both the safest tackle with the most upside 

10 overall? Okay...

It's all conjecture - he didn't play at all this year and if DJ says he has a balance issue - that's enough to make him drop a bit in his eyes. I really doubt we'll be taking a tackle again so high. Remember, DJ is very well connected to our team and he nailed our 1st pick last year. I think we'll go with a guard with our second #1.

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Unless there's something medical we don't know about, I don't get it 

I really don't see the mystery.  Guy didn't play last year. By the time the season gets here it will be close to two years since he has played.  What?  21 months? 

Same with Lance.  Going into the season last year i was really high on Lance, and excited to see him play his last year.  it didn't happen.  As much as I like Lance I would really have a hard time pulling the trigger on him at 2 with my career on the line.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t see the Jets trading back because if someone is willing to move up for Wilson then the Jets just have to take him. 

that's the conundrum, but hey, sometimes teams trade up for mahomes, and other times they trade up for trubisky.  so that's where the scouting comes in.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Trading back to let another team who’s presumably smarter than the Jets take a quarterback when the Jets don’t have a quarterback would be the Johnson thing to do. 

The Johnson thing has been to hire terrible talent evaluators who make the wrong decisions in every draft until perhaps last year. If JD and crew are true talent evaluators, they'll make the right decision on whether Wilson or Fields is worth that #2.  Funny, I don't remember the Jets trading down in lieu of an early QB.  Certainly not under the Johnsons.  I remember taking a freaking safety over Watson and Mahomes.  That's the Johnson way...  

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

that's the conundrum, but hey, sometimes teams trade up for mahomes, and other times they trade up for trubisky.  so that's where the scouting comes in.

exactly.  Just because some other team wants #2, doesn't automatically make him worth the #2 nor does it make him the right QB for the Jets. Maybe the other team is doing a Trubisky trade up or is being run by a Maccagnan pea brain type.

• Sympathy 1

I have a tough time with the idea of taking anybody that opted out of the 2020 season (Chase, Farley etc) at the top half of round 1. This is especially true with the limited access and workouts NFL teams are going to have with these players. Cant be basing a top 5 or 10 pick on 16 month old tape.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I really don't see the mystery.  Guy didn't play last year. By the time the season gets here it will be close to two years since he has played.  What?  21 months? 

Same with Lance.  Going into the season last year i was really high on Lance, and excited to see him play his last year.  it didn't happen.  As much as I like Lance I would really have a hard time pulling the trigger on him at 2 with my career on the line.

Slater and chase also opted out, DJ has those guys higher 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

It's all conjecture - he didn't play at all this year and if DJ says he has a balance issue - that's enough to make him drop a bit in his eyes. I really doubt we'll be taking a tackle again so high. Remember, DJ is very well connected to our team and he nailed our 1st pick last year. I think we'll go with a guard with our second #1.

McShay played college football with Douglas at Richmond. That's arguably a deeper and longer lasting bond than working with Jeremiah in Philly and Baltimore.

I've worked with alot of people and some are still my friends. But I'll never forget the guys on my teams. Even the guys who were my enemies on the team, I'd bend over backwards to help many years later. mcshay knows Joe Douglas. Jeremiah gets fed stuff from many sources maybe he's hearing something medical about Sewell that made him opt out. All of these guys we need to have a combine or whatever it is. Devonta, Zach wilson and Sewell, alike. We need measurements and exams before any of them clear 2 overall. Sewell's tape is outstanding even against auburn. Jeremiah is nitpicking the film but he might have a reason why. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it were up to me, Watson would have been our QB in 2017.  And I never would have touched Christian Hackenberg.  :)

I am better than Mike Maccagnan.  Not a high bar to clear, but still...

That we can certainly agree on...

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it were up to me, Watson would have been our QB in 2017.  And I never would have touched Christian Hackenberg.  :)

I am better than Mike Maccagnan.  Not a high bar to clear, but still...

Actually you meant to say Mahomes lol...

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

McShay played college football with Douglas at Richmond. That's arguably a deeper and longer lasting bond than working with Jeremiah in Philly and Baltimore.

I've worked with alot of people and some are still my friends. But I'll never forget the guys on my teams. Even the guys who were my enemies on the team, I'd bend over backwards to help many years later. mcshay knows Joe Douglas. Jeremiah gets fed stuff from many sources maybe he's hearing something medical about Sewell that made him opt out. All of these guys we need to have a combine or whatever it is. Devonta, Zach wilson and Sewell, alike. We need measurements and exams before any of them clear 2 overall. Sewell's tape is outstanding even against auburn. Jeremiah is nitpicking the film but he might have a reason why. 

He literally explained it in his article why he has him lower then Slater. 
-Balance issues 

-Hands get too wide, allows defenders to get underneath

-Gets too upright on occasion 

-Lunges and ends on the ground more then you’d like 

-Not as polished but huge upside

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Feels like, rationally, the best move for the Jets is to trade out and prioritize EDGE or CB in the 5-10 range. The team is destitute at both positions, even if they believe Bryce Hall can play

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The rule of scarcity dictates draft values. It is why trading into a top pick to get a QB is often a kings ransom. You want an OT? no worries, there are 5 ranked in the top 30 overall players. Edge rusher, LB, CB, WR? A little pressure but not too much because 4 of each are in the top 30. 

oh... what's that you say? You want a TE? There is one. Unless you want to sit around and wait to see if you can get the only other TE ranked in the top 50? Freiermuth at 38. Who would be the third? Kenny Yeboah? Man oh Man, the price for Pitts goes up every day. The kid is a unicorn and their ain't a whole lot to speak of as Plan B if you are looing for a TE.

Unicorn - OJ Howard 2017 draft round 1.   George Kittle 2017 draft round 5.

Pitts is a great athlete, "matchup nightmare", but if he cant block then he's just a big WR.  If you want a TE you draft a TE.  To me Pitts seems like an elite athlete who you will have to design touches for: 

At 6-foot-6, he plays just as big as his size indicates. More in the role of a big receiver, Pitts can align outside, in the slot, or place his hand in the dirt in-line. As an F tight end, his combination of size, athleticism, and hands makes him a multi-level threat for creative offensive coordinators. As a run blocker, he’s sustainable and willing as a one-on-one blocker, but also isn’t afraid to get his face dirty in the box, either. Pitts will need to go to a team that can use him in creative ways with an outside-the-box thinker orchestrating the offense that allows his assets to shine.