Jets or Dolphins

Wonderboy

Not sure if a thread exists that focuses on this specific topic.  If so, my apologies and merge.  There just seems to be a lot of variables involved that will come into play that are just all over the place.  So it's apparent Watson will be traded sooner or later. Why? Because I said so.  Anyways, It appears his two top choices or his only two choices, are the Jets and the Dolphins.  Now the variables as to these two possibilities are popping up all over the internet.  Many on here have such conflicting views on Watson.  We need to get him, he'll cost to much, etc etc etc.  I want to narrow it down to the Jets and the Dolphins because when it all comes down to it, these two teams make the most sense for various reasons.   What are the advantages each team has over the other? The positives and negatives of such a trade by both teams. How would it affect the balance of power in the AFC East.  What would a workable trade look like by each?  Why it makes sense or make no sense for either to make the trade? Yeah all these and more are discussed in various threads but I'd like to narrow it down to these two teams in a concise thread. 

My take is the Jets hold the upper hand and I'd love to get Watson. He's a supreme talent.   So...............   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Random thought -- I think there's a lot of misinformation and politicking at play right now and I think it's possible the interest in the Dolphins and Jets as the "top two" destinations specifically is being generated by the Texans.

Those are the two teams with the most draft picks (specifically the most high 2021 picks) to move in a trade and getting division rivals to bid against each other is the dream scenario for Houston.

Not to suggest Watson doesn't genuinely like the situation in Miami or NY -- both would be legitimately appealing for various reasons. I'm just not as sold that it's one of those two or bust.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Random thought -- I think there's a lot of misinformation and politicking at play right now and I think it's possible the interest in the Dolphins and Jets as the "top two" destinations specifically is being generated by the Texans.

Those are the two teams with the most draft picks (specifically the most high 2021 picks) to move in a trade and getting division rivals to bid against each other is the dream scenario for Houston.

Not to suggest Watson doesn't genuinely like the situation in Miami or NY -- both would be legitimately appealing for various reasons. I'm just not as sold that it's one of those two or bust.

Between picks and available cap, those two teams really are a step above everyone else.  It would be very difficult for a team drafting in the middle ten of round 1 to compete with an offer that included pick #2 or #3.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Between picks and available cap, those two teams really are a step above everyone else.  It would be very difficult for a team drafting in the middle ten of round 1 to compete with an offer that included pick #2 or #3.  

Agree, just saying that because of Watson's no trade clause there are more variables at play than who can offer the most draft capital, even if it makes them the two most likely destinations.

We also don't really know how interested the Jets or Dolphins are vs. say, the Bears or some other team offering the farm.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree, just saying that because of Watson's no trade clause there are more variables at play than who can offer the most draft capital, even if it makes them the two most likely destinations.

We also don't really know how interested the Jets or Dolphins are vs. say, the Bears or some other team offering the farm.

All true.  But there's levels of interested.  We could be willing to part with #2 and next year's SEA pick, which is far less than anyone thinks Watson is worth on this board or the Texans (or most of the media).  But to beat just that, CHI would really have to pony up four 1st rounders.  They might want him more, but the cost would be so much higher it may not be feasible.  And it would get very tricky for Watson to limit his interest to a single team without bringing tampering into the mix.  I think CAR, maybe DEN or DAL could have a shot.  I don't really see another team with the picks and cap to pull it off no matter how much they like Watson.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

But the OP said so!

Why wouldn't they? The Dolphins went 10-5 going into a must win in their last game of the season to gain a playoff birth. Lost and ended up a game short at 10-6 with Fitz and Tua, a rookie QB. Think what that team would look like with Watson. Scary!  

Watson doesn't want to go to the Jets or Dolphins, he just wants out of Houston.

As the Jets and Dolphins are the only teams guaranteed to get Fields or Wilson, they are the two destinations most likely to get Houston to bow to Watson's demands.  Houston can sell Fields or Wilson to their angry fanbase, rookie contract reset, new coach new QB, etc.

It's his agent.  I doubt Watson is even involved in any of this social media stuff.  It's a good way to generate buzz and get Houston to take the threat seriously, nothing more.

SAR I

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

All true.  But there's levels of interested. 

Right, that was my point really. Everyone is interested in Watson but there are various degrees of interested. Ryan Pace (who is clinging to his job) might be more desperate to make the massive move than Douglas or Chris Grier who have more security.

We could be willing to part with #2 and next year's SEA pick, which is far less than anyone thinks Watson is worth on this board or the Texans (or most of the media).  But to beat just that, CHI would really have to pony up four 1st rounders.  They might want him more, but the cost would be so much higher it may not be feasible. 

Might not, but most teams who were willing to go "all in" could find a way to do it.

And it would get very tricky for Watson to limit his interest to a single team without bringing tampering into the mix.  I think CAR, maybe DEN or DAL could have a shot.  I don't really see another team with the picks and cap to pull it off no matter how much they like Watson.  

It's a very unique situation given his incredible value, untenable situation, and no-trade clause. Will be fascinating to play out.

40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

All true.  But there's levels of interested.  We could be willing to part with #2 and next year's SEA pick, which is far less than anyone thinks Watson is worth on this board or the Texans (or most of the media).  But to beat just that, CHI would really have to pony up four 1st rounders.  They might want him more, but the cost would be so much higher it may not be feasible.  And it would get very tricky for Watson to limit his interest to a single team without bringing tampering into the mix.  I think CAR, maybe DEN or DAL could have a shot.  I don't really see another team with the picks and cap to pull it off no matter how much they like Watson.  

Detroit @ 6 Panthers @ 7  Broncos @ 8 are the only other possible teams than could be in the mix.  They all need a QB desperately and will draft or trade for one this coming year.  It would cost them a fortune to get Watson though and they don't have the firepower Jets or Miami has.  Dallas would also have to give up way to much.  Other than that I don't see any other team in the mix.  Even Detroit, Panthers and Broncos lack the firepower to get it done.  All three need a QB and can just wait it out and pick BAP @ QB when their turn comes up.  Or they can trade up a few spots to #5 with Cincy or Atlanta to get one of the prospects @ QB. All signs point to Jets or Miami.  Someone posted in the thread - where's there's smoke there's fire. Absolutely.  This is not just nonsensical yapping by Watson or the Texans.    

53 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Jets or Dolphins? I say Texans.

243AC2E5-3E4D-47E3-91B3-82F643371F08.jpeg

What makes you think he'll stay at Houston? Doesn't make sense for Watson or Texans. There's already word out that he wants out regardless who the HC is.  Watson is obviously disgusted with the Texans for trading away Hopkins.  He had a marvelous year, wasted, and went 4-12.  Texans are strapped with the salary cap, have no pics and a disgruntled superstar.  Not exactly a recipe for success.  

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

And why would they even comment on it at this point. If anything, that illustrates JD's wheels are turning.  JD does not show his cards.  More will be revealed.

I get that but I was responding to the point that the fish havent shown any interest, arent showing their cards.  

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's his agent.  I doubt Watson is even involved in any of this social media stuff.  It's a good way to generate buzz and get Houston to take the threat seriously, nothing more.

SAR I

If that were the case Watson would have squashed this weeks ago.  If you didnt want to be traded, were involved in social media yourself would you allow yourself to be viewed as a whiney, complaining athlete when all you would have to do is tweet for all to see that you didnt want a trade?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that but I was responding to the point that the fish havent shown any interest, arent showing their cards.  

Its to early for that IMO.  Plenty of time for trade talks to ensue.  After thinking about it, fish seem to have a really good shot at getting Watson. They have the #3 and the 18th.  Fins are not shy about making a splash. They got rid of Rosen in a heartbeat.  They may not think twice about replacing Tua with Watson.  They can send Tua to Texans or just trade him elsewhere.  Fins turned that team around quick.  Went 10-6. That's impressive.  With Watson, they'd be a monster. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They will hire Bienemy and he stays.

I think he ends up like Harden and forces Houston to trade him during the next season 

he will do something stupid like Harden and blatantly violate league rules on COVID or something possibly worse the Saturday before a game

27 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

What makes you think he'll stay at Houston? Doesn't make sense for Watson or Texans. There's already word out that he wants out regardless who the HC is.  Watson is obviously disgusted with the Texans for trading away Hopkins.  He had a marvelous year, wasted, and went 4-12.  Texans are strapped with the salary cap, have no pics and a disgruntled superstar.  Not exactly a recipe for success.  

Those are not my thoughts. They are the odds. 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think he ends up like Harden and forces Houston to trade him during the next season 

he will do something stupid like Harden and blatantly violate league rules on COVID or something possibly worse the Saturday before a game

I honestly think they hire Bienemy and then Bienemy will sit him down and convince him to stay.  

• Upvote 1