No one elected to Baseball Hall of Fame Class of 2021

These writers don't mess around. 

For the first time since 1960, the membership of the National Baseball Hall of Fame will remain frozen.

No player on the Hall's 2021 Baseball Writers' Association of America ballot reached the 75 percent threshold needed for enshrinement in Cooperstown. The results of the voting were announced by Hall of Fame president Tim Mead on MLB Network on Tuesday night.

The leading vote-getter was controversial pitcher Curt Schilling, who was named on 71.1 percent of the ballots, 16 votes shy of the minimum needed for selection. Schilling was followed by all-time home run leader Barry Bonds (61.8 percent) and 354-game winner Roger Clemens (61.6) in the voting.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why?

Piazza and Ivan Rodriguez are both in and did steroids

it’s amazing how the media gives those guys a pass but Bonds, Arod and Clemens all astronomically way better before even using steroids are cancel cultured for life

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why?

Actually I just looked him up and I thought he was on a definite path to 500 home runs before the steroids. I think he was but there is a lot of it that is dicey. Did he really start in 1998 or was it earlier? If it was '98 it looks like he would have gotten to 500 even if his performance dropped off significantly. But I thought that was going to be a slam dunk and it isn't.  He was in the upper 300's before roids if '98 is true.  I thought it was going to be like 450 or something like that.

My real stance is keep them all out. If they played during that time and the #s show a trajectory that doesn't make sense, we know why.

But Pudge is in there, Bagwell is in there, so the lines get blurred. I am not one of those people that wants to revisit the past, like Mike Schmidt confessing to using amphetamines.

What I think is going to happen is a few will pay the price for many, Clemens, Bonds and McGuire will be the poster children for this.

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Actually I just looked him up and I thought he was on a definite path to 500 home runs before the steroids. I think he was but there is a lot of it that is dicey. Did he really start in 1998 or was it earlier? If it was '98 it looks like he would have gotten to 500 even if his performance dropped off significantly. But I thought that was going to be a slam dunk and it isn't.  He was in the upper 300's before roids if '98 is true.  I thought it was going to be like 450 or something like that.

My real stance is keep them all out. If they played during that time and the #s show a trajectory that doesn't make sense, we know why.

But Pudge is in there, Bagwell is in there, so the lines get blurred. I am not one of those people that wants to revisit the past, like Mike Schmidt confessing to using amphetamines.

What I think is going to happen is a few will pay the price for many, Clemens, Bonds and McGuire will be the poster children for this.

The most egregious users should get punished the most.  I.E. the guys who weren't just following along with the trend, they were SETTING the trend and going way above and beyond "normal" use.  Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, and Sosa are in that category.  Obviously, McGwire and Sosa were "borderline" candidates for the HOF, so no one really noticed or cared that those 2 got blacklisted.  Palmeiro as well, who lied under oath.

Bonds and Clemens get the most support because of their HOF paths prior to use.  But to me, that doesn't matter.  They forfeited their privilege to join the HOF when they went way above and beyond "normal use".  That's why a few "questionable" guys got in, and deserve to, but they do not.  I don't see it as a blurring of lines as much as others do.  The writers know EXACTLY who was using, how much they were using, and their motivations for doing so.  They were the steroid "kingpins" while most of the other guys were just following the crowd.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The most egregious users should get punished the most.  I.E. the guys who weren't just following along with the trend, they were SETTING the trend and going way above and beyond "normal" use.  Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, and Sosa are in that category.  Obviously, McGwire and Sosa were "borderline" candidates for the HOF, so no one really noticed or cared that those 2 got blacklisted.  Palmeiro as well, who lied under oath.

Bonds and Clemens get the most support because of their HOF paths prior to use.  But to me, that doesn't matter.  They forfeited their privilege to join the HOF when they went way above and beyond "normal use".  That's why a few "questionable" guys got in, and deserve to, but they do not.  I don't see it as a blurring of lines as much as others do.  The writers know EXACTLY who was using, how much they were using, and their motivations for doing so.  They were the steroid "kingpins" while most of the other guys were just following the crowd.

McGuire would be in for sure with 583 home runs. The problem is he admitted to Starting before the 90 season and at that point he was so young he only hit 117 home runs. Damn near half of them came in his rookie year. But there is no way he is getting in, same for Clemens because he lied so much about it.

Clemens, Bonds and McGuire when you look at the #s all benefited so much from cheating. So where it ended up is really fair, none of them are getting in.

I'd let Pete Rose in before any of them.

I realize this is all very different from my let Bonds in comment. But sometimes I have to throw things out there to revive threads.  :)

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Maxman said:

McGuire would be in for sure with 583 home runs. The problem is he admitted to Starting before the 90 season and at that point he was so young he only hit 117 home runs. Damn near half of them came in his rookie year. But there is no way he is getting in, same for Clemens because he lied so much about it.

Clemens, Bonds and McGuire when you look at the #s all benefited so much from cheating. So where it ended up is really fair, none of them are getting in.

I'd let Pete Rose in before any of them.

I realize this is all very different from my let Bonds in comment. But sometimes I have to throw things out there to revive threads.  :)

I don't want any of the steroids guys in and I don't want Rose in either. I understand the argument for Pete Rose but rules are rules and he broke them. He also still won't acknowledge that what he did was wrong which doesn't help him. 

17 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

What pisses me off the most is that big sloppy will probably get in like first ballot even though he was also OBVIOUSLY using oh and not to mention that the 2004 red sux were running an astros style sign stealing scheme.

David Ortiz another guy the media gives a pass

Such arbitrary nonsense 

• Upvote 2