Jump to content

Edge Rushers 2021


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, JiF said:

 

Idk - Robert Mathis and Freeney were smaller dudes in the 4-3.  It's weird as Jets fans to think about but pass rush is often most effective protecting a lead, pin the ears back and go.

Mathis was bulky. So was Dumervil. Ojulari has that lanky former safety/ WR build. I just don’t think he’ll be able to take on tackles and play 3 downs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am, frankly, bored of the QB discussion at this point. With the Jets transitioning to a 4-3, they need to add 1 (if not 2) edge rushers this offseason. Let's discuss. 

Would have loved Ojulari had we stayed in a 3-4.  I do not see him as a 4-3 DE at all.  I really do not see him as an option for us now.

I have a valentines’s for this guy. That frame. Oof  

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Quincy Roche is a bit light for LEO, but I'm intrigued on his value as a mid-round pick. Good production and looks fast on tape.

I didn’t like him during the senior bowl. He really didn’t do enough. He’s quick tho and he looks like a hard worker. I just feel like this draft we have so many massive freaks of nature that going for the smaller one isn’t as appealing.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I didn’t like him during the senior bowl. He really didn’t do enough. He’s quick tho and he looks like a hard worker. I just feel like this draft we have so many massive freaks of nature going for the smaller one isn’t as appealing.

I think that's valid, there's a bunch of quality edge rushers in this draft and I'm all about taking guys that meet the prototype physically and athletically, especially at edge.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The miss rate is really high on pass rushers, just like QBs. We have the money, just go out & get a guy like Trey Hendrickson & continue to try & develop the guys we have like Huff.

Im certainly not against taking 1 at #23 if a calls slides that they love but you help your pass rush also by scoring freaking points! 

I think we'll see a couple of signing from the 49ers free agents on defense who can help implement Salehs schemes to the guys already here. 

I really want most of our top assets used to build a freaking great Oline with weapons EVERYWHERE. It's about time this organization does a lot more dancing in the endzone instead of watching the opposing team do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Azeez Ojulari - Had a big season at Georgia this year. Probably has the best speed rush in this year's class, but you don't see him convert speed to power or offer many counters if the tackle can keep up with him. I don't think he can play on the edge in a 4-3 as he is too light at 250lbs. When he lined up at end, he had a lot of trouble disengaging from the OL. He is very good when he is just attacking, but he seems to struggle a little bit when he is asked to analyze what he is seeing in front of him. I think he is ideally fit as an OLB in a 3-4 or even as a Will in a 4-3. Not the best fit for what the Jets need. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetster said:

The miss rate is really high on pass rushers, just like QBs. We have the money, just go out & get a guy like Trey Hendrickson & continue to try & develop the guys we have like Huff.

Im certainly not against taking 1 at #23 if a calls slides that they love but you help your pass rush also by scoring freaking points! 

I think we'll see a couple of signing from the 49ers free agents on defense who can help implement Salehs schemes to the guys already here. 

I really want most of our top assets used to build a freaking great Oline with weapons EVERYWHERE. It's about time this organization does a lot more dancing in the endzone instead of watching the opposing team do it.

No. Pass rusher is fairly easy to draft especially at the top of the draft. Of the top 20 most effective pass rushers on PFF, 13 of them were picked in the first round. Get measurables and check it with production and boom, you probably have a good pass rusher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Anyone have any Ronnie Perkins insight?

 

Curious how big he measures but I liked his highlights. I’m seeing 6’2-6’3 and 247-256.

Looks physical but quick, strong, can bend, good motor, sets the edge a little, stacks and sheds.

Looks like he was suspended early in the season for a failed drug test before the 2019 Peach Bowl but it got overturned. There was a puff piece on how he was doing a good job being a leader as he was sitting out. Interesting to see how that all impacts his stock.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2021 at 10:57 AM, Lith said:

Would have loved Ojulari had we stayed in a 3-4.  I do not see him as a 4-3 DE at all.  I really do not see him as an option for us now.

 

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Azeez Ojulari - Had a big season at Georgia this year. Probably has the best speed rush in this year's class, but you don't see him convert speed to power or offer many counters if the tackle can keep up with him. I don't think he can play on the edge in a 4-3 as he is too light at 250lbs. When he lined up at end, he had a lot of trouble disengaging from the OL. He is very good when he is just attacking, but he seems to struggle a little bit when he is asked to analyze what he is seeing in front of him. I think he is ideally fit as an OLB in a 3-4 or even as a Will in a 4-3. Not the best fit for what the Jets need. 

I think he’d be a perfect LEO for this defense. The position lines up wide-9 in a two or three point stance and rushes the outside shoulder of the OT.  

There’s a ton of guys that fit this profile, but I wouldn’t dismiss Ojulari as a poor fit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Anyone have any Ronnie Perkins insight?

 

He is one of my favorite edge players in this draft.  Could gain a few pounds but fits the LEO mold that Saleh looks for. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone found Elerson Smith tape? He really stood out during the senior bowl and I want more info. @Paradis you know how to track down some obscure stuff, do you think it's possible to find Northern Iowa All-22?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Has anyone found Elerson Smith tape? He really stood out during the senior bowl and I want more info. @Paradis you know how to track down some obscure stuff, do you think it's possible to find Northern Iowa All-22?

Yesss I thought I no one else was going to bring him up!!! I got crickets in the senior bowl thread.

Tell me that guy doesn't exude the look of future QB-wrecker

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Yesss I thought I no one else was going to bring him up!!! I got crickets in the senior bowl thread.

Tell me that guy doesn't exude the look of future QB-wrecker

You called him the Panther. **** if I knew that UNI players were Panthers. He looks studly. Was excellent in the senior bowl practices and carried over to the game. Had frame for even more weight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2021 at 3:43 PM, nyjbuddy said:

EDGE CARLOS BASHAM JR., WAKE FOREST

If you asked me to guess which freak attribute Feldman noted from Basham, I would have had a tough time picking only one — he’s freaky across the board. And Feldman agrees, as his attribute was literally “Pick one.” His physical tools and explosiveness are eye-popping. The 6-foot-5, 275-pound Basham earned a 90.6 pass-rush grade in 2019 and had multiple games with double-digit pressures in ACC play. He’s a pocket-collapser in its purest form.

Basham is Adrian Clayborn for better or worse. I think he has the potential to be a really good strong-side "REO" in our scheme. Maybe not a difference making double-digit sack artist, but someone who will be solid in his role with athletic upside. If he can tap into the athletic upside, improve his endurance and stay in shape, Everson Griffen seems like a realistic ceiling as a pass rusher. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Has anyone found Elerson Smith tape? He really stood out during the senior bowl and I want more info. @Paradis you know how to track down some obscure stuff, do you think it's possible to find Northern Iowa All-22?

Marcus Davenport 2.0. In a draft class that lacks top-end edge rushers, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone take a chance on him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, football guy said:

Marcus Davenport 2.0. In a draft class that lacks top-end edge rushers, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone take a chance on him.

I’m now at the point where I think we need to take 2 OL and 2 Edge guys from this draft because that’s where the interesting depth is.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I’m now at the point where I think we need to take 2 OL and 2 Edge guys from this draft because that’s where the interesting depth is.

If I were running a team I'd take an OL and an EDGE in every draft. 

I don't think the Jets are as desperate to draft OL high this year. The scheme will help the lineman a lot more than the BS we ran the past 2 years, and Douglas's calling card is identifying OL talent. I think the Jets can take guys late and still come away as winners. If the guy is great take him in round 1, otherwise wait until 3rd-7th rounds. As for EDGE, I would like to see them invest 2 picks absolutely. One top 34 pick and a 4th rounder. Need to take risks on these guys. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, football guy said:

If I were running a team I'd take an OL and an EDGE in every draft. 

I don't think the Jets are as desperate to draft OL high this year. The scheme will help the lineman a lot more than the BS we ran the past 2 years, and Douglas's calling card is identifying OL talent. I think the Jets can take guys late and still come away as winners. If the guy is great take him in round 1, otherwise wait until 3rd-7th rounds. As for EDGE, I would like to see them invest 2 picks absolutely. One top 34 pick and a 4th rounder. Need to take risks on these guys. 

 

I don’t want a first round OL necessarily (Although if the value on a guy like Alijah Vera Tucker is there then by all means take him). I do want the beginning of a pipeline made up of 2nd- 5th round guys. Dillon Radunz and Spencer Brown are two OL that fit the bill. D’ante Smith and Brady Christensen also are guys with less pedigree but intriguing ability.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jayson Oweh - He might be the most overrated edge prospect in the draft. Another guy that made Bruce Feldman's freak list due to allegedly running his 40 in the 4.3s, but I don't see that speed or explosiveness on the field. He doesn't look as big as his listed weight of 265. Will sometimes show you a bit of a speed to power conversion, but he doesn't win very often attacking the tackle's outside shoulder. I guess you can take him as a developmental project on day 3, but I'm not a big fan at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

New member here.  I didn't know Sallah was scraping the 3-4 for the Jets as I am not a Jets fan.

As a Browns fan I HATED bouncing back and worth from 4-3 to 3-4 especially when most teams runs a 4-2-5 anyways.

The one thing I noticed is discussion on which scheme of the 4-3 base is the D? IE 4-3 over 4-3 under or even a wide 9? Do the DT's both 3 gap or they both 1 gap or one of each base responsibility wise?

Is the RDE more of a designated pass rusher and the LDE more of run stuffer thats a 2nd option pass rusher?
Or are the LDE and RDE interchangable?

what is the basic size and thletic profile the end positions in this new call for? Is Quincy Roche to small/light? Is Carlos Bashem to big/heavy?

I mean the DE's for the 49ers are big guys, does that mean thats what Sallah wants? Or does he has have his own ideas now that he is in charge?  Or is Joe Douglas just gonna give him BPA and tell him to coach and make it work?

Personally @2 number to overall I would go Penai Sewell and have bookend protectors for what ever QB route you all end up going.  The Browns went from a .500 ish team in 2019 to to an elite 8 playoff team in 2020 IMO because they had bookend tackles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Has the HC or anyone else from the team say they’re switch to a 4-3?

Saleh said so. I don’t remember where but he did. He also said they won’t be the Seahawks defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this interesting. Phil Savage did an interview on newyorkjets.com

 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-notebook-an-nfl-draft-evaluation-process-like-no-other

 

New Coaches, New Systems
HC Robert Saleh, defensive coordinator with the 49ers, picked Jeff Ulbrich as his DC and early on Saleh announced his intention to switch the Jets defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. That has altered the approach of the team's scouts, to a degree.

"All of us over next few weeks ahead of [staff] meetings [in mid-February] have to go back and tweak some of our evaluations from the fall because of a 4-3 from a 3-4 team on the defensive side and try to talk about a players fitting either or system," Savage, the senior adviser said. "There are enough coaching changes around the league that happen on a regular basis that we have to scout defensive players for both schemes. Everyone ends up with four in the front, two linebackers and five in the back.

"What Robert and Jeff Ulbrich will bring to the defense will help our scouting staff. In the 3-4 you have to project every single player, and it can get more complicated. But it gives us a more clear vision."

Skip to the 19:20 mark

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 11:32 PM, maury77 said:

Jayson Oweh - He might be the most overrated edge prospect in the draft. Another guy that made Bruce Feldman's freak list due to allegedly running his 40 in the 4.3s, but I don't see that speed or explosiveness on the field. He doesn't look as big as his listed weight of 265. Will sometimes show you a bit of a speed to power conversion, but he doesn't win very often attacking the tackle's outside shoulder. I guess you can take him as a developmental project on day 3, but I'm not a big fan at all. 

Huh, I thought the athleticism was as obvious as it was that he has no idea what he’s doing out there. He looks like he’s thinking a lot and doesn’t use the athleticism often but you see him open it up in highlights occasionally and you can see it. I don’t think he’s a 4.3 guy but I figure a 4.3 on the freaks list means 4.4’s or low 4.5’s and I could see that. You never see those big guys run 40 yards anyway and the bigger they are the more build up time is required to get to top speed. 

Agree he doesn’t look 265. I think he lacks strength/pop which makes him seem slower too, makes it easier for offensive linemen to slow him down rather than him continuing his momentum and bending to the quarterback.

Definitely not a finished product but I think on athleticism alone, day three is harsh. Edge is one of those positions where athleticism is actually really important though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he looks a lot better in the pros than he did in college.

I think he slides into day two a little later than he’s currently being projected now as a first round guy, unless he benefits from this weak edge class. I do think the first round projections are a little rich though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 11:32 PM, maury77 said:

Jayson Oweh - He might be the most overrated edge prospect in the draft. Another guy that made Bruce Feldman's freak list due to allegedly running his 40 in the 4.3s, but I don't see that speed or explosiveness on the field. He doesn't look as big as his listed weight of 265. Will sometimes show you a bit of a speed to power conversion, but he doesn't win very often attacking the tackle's outside shoulder. I guess you can take him as a developmental project on day 3, but I'm not a big fan at all. 

I don’t love him. I don’t care for him. He lacks form and has underwhelmed. I get that he’s a freak but he’s not a football player. 

I’m not as in love with Ronnie Perkins as others in this draft forum but I see more realized ability in Perkins than in Oweh. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t love him. I don’t care for him. He lacks form and has underwhelmed. I get that he’s a freak but he’s not a football player. 

I’m not as in love with Ronnie Perkins as others in this draft forum but I see more realized ability in Perkins than in Oweh. 

From the little I've seen of Elerson Smith, I think I prefer him to Oweh. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maury77 said:

From the little I've seen of Elerson Smith, I think I prefer him to Oweh. 

If Smith tests well he’ll shoot up boards. His Senior Bowl was excellent and his production was terrific, he could climb into round 2 and I’d be devastated if we don’t draft him.

Have you looked into Cameron Sample? He had a great senior bowl and has tweener size like Carlos Basham. If he tests around 4.8 he’s probably worth a pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If Smith tests well he’ll shoot up boards. His Senior Bowl was excellent and his production was terrific, he could climb into round 2 and I’d be devastated if we don’t draft him.

Have you looked into Cameron Sample? He had a great senior bowl and has tweener size like Carlos Basham. If he tests around 4.8 he’s probably worth a pick.

I haven't, its hard getting film on the small school guys since draft breakdown went down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I haven't, its hard getting film on the small school guys since draft breakdown went down. 

He’s straight dominant in some of these reps and he was exceptional during the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s straight dominant in some of these reps and he was exceptional during the game.

Sample's got some nice reps there, but he looks a little bit like a tweener more than a straight edge guy (like Roche). BTW, those are some brutal reps by Alaric Jackson. @HawkeyeJet, what's up with your guy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...