Jump to content

Edge Rushers 2021


Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Sample's got some nice reps there, but he looks a little bit like a tweener more than a straight edge guy (like Roche). BTW, those are some brutal reps by Alaric Jackson. @HawkeyeJet, what's up with your guy?

Alaric had a pretty rough year if you ask me.  I think overall he's a solid college LT but I have my doubts about him in the pros.  He was better as a Junior in my opinion.  He became a vegan at some point during the last off-season and lost some weight and I think some strength without adding any quickness 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am, frankly, bored of the QB discussion at this point. With the Jets transitioning to a 4-3, they need to add 1 (if not 2) edge rushers this offseason. Let's discuss. 

Would have loved Ojulari had we stayed in a 3-4.  I do not see him as a 4-3 DE at all.  I really do not see him as an option for us now.

I have a valentines’s for this guy. That frame. Oof  

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Paradis said:

I have a valentines’s for this guy. That frame. Oof

 

My goodness an 83” wingspan?   This guy was built in a lab, you couldn’t ask for better measurements in an edge.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2021 at 6:26 PM, maury77 said:

Jaelan Phillips - Former 5 star recruit and the #3 recruit in the nation coming out of HS according to ESPN (I think another agency had him at #1). Started at UCLA, played 2 seasons and retired due to concussions. Came back and transferred to UM this year. He has been an absolute beast this season and he was hard to miss if you watched. At 6'5" 265, he is perfectly built to play the LEO position in Saleh's defense. Good explosion and moves very well for a bigger guy showing plus agility. You see him beat tackles both to the inside and outside. Has a nice bend around the corner for a taller guy and routinely swipes away the hands of the tackle. Strong guy that shows a nice speed to power conversion. Exuberant, high energy player that makes plays all over the field. On the downside, he lacks experience and it shows in his game. He has technique issues that cause him to lose contain too often (see the Miami v. UNC game). He also uses his spin move at odd times and often puts himself in a worse position as a result. Also, injuries did cause him to retire once already, so that has to be a big concern as well. Bottom line, if he had not retired for that 1 season, I think you would see a prospect with less injury concerns, a more refined game and a likely top 10 (if not top 5) pick. There is some risk here, but I'd be ecstatic if the Jets chose him with Seattle's pick. 

247 had him as number 1

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2021 at 7:26 AM, maury77 said:

Joseph Ossai - Long armed edge that does a good job of using his length to keep blockers away. Not very twitchy, but he is a long strider so you don't see him explode out of his stance, but he does a good job of gaining ground on his second and third step. Has a better bull rush than his frame might suggest. Not as flexible as his frame suggests, his turns around the bend tend to be wide. I think he might be a Bryan Thomas type of prospect that tests well, looks the part, turns out to be a decent player, but never gives you the pass rush you would like to see. 

I really like Ossai.  Nonstop motor on that guy.  He might be the epitome of All gas, No Brakes.  May not turn out to be a 10-sack type guy but I just get the sense he's going to be involved in every play, will get pressures, will make QBs do some things they don't want to do, etc.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I really like Ossai.  Nonstop motor on that guy.  He might be the epitome of All gas, No Brakes.  May not turn out to be a 10-sack type guy but I just get the sense he's going to be involved in every play, will get pressures, will make QBs do some things they don't want to do, etc.

Keep it coming, what do you think of some of the other guys?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Tryon - This was a pleasant surprise. He's a big guy with good length who played standing up and from a 3 point stance. Good athlete and plays with some twitch. Wins in a variety of ways as a pass rusher. He can win with the speed rush (although he lacks great flexibility) and he can win with power as well. I think he sat out the season so some people have forgotten about him. My 1 concern with him is he really struggled whenever Washington asked him to diagnose plays as you see him get fooled constantly. He may benefit from playing in a more attacking style defense like Saleh's. Tryon could rise up boards depending on how he tests (he should test well since he took the season off, giving him extra time to work on training for his testing). 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Joe Tryon - This was a pleasant surprise. He's a big guy with good length who played standing up and from a 3 point stance. Good athlete and plays with some twitch. Wins in a variety of ways as a pass rusher. He can win with the speed rush (although he lacks great flexibility) and he can win with power as well. I think he sat out the season so some people have forgotten about him. My 1 concern with him is he really struggled whenever Washington asked him to diagnose plays as you see him get fooled constantly. He may benefit from playing in a more attacking style defense like Saleh's. Tryon could rise up boards depending on how he tests (he should test well since he took the season off, giving him extra time to work on training for his testing). 

I liked Tryon as well. Like you said good speed and power but definitely lacks a degree of flexibility. Do think he’s a nice 4-3 fit now that we’re not worrying about guys standing up - not that he couldn’t but those loose hips aren’t as important now. Hopefully teams see it the same way and the 3-4 teams pass and he slips a bit. Reminded me a little of that dude from USC who had a few good seasons with the Packers - don’t remember if they drafted him but I think they did. Remember the board wanted to sign him as a FA. Name slips my mind.

Anybody know how old Smith is? Are we taking 23 year old redshirt senior or 25 year old redshirt senior? Not a big deal since he shredded FCS as a redshirt junior as well but dude is a man and very much maxed - which is cool because he’s also pretty much exactly how you draw up an edge but some of those guys struggle more when they’re playing against pros who are also maxed. Think it’s more of a WR issue than edge but still curious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I liked Tryon as well. Like you said good speed and power but definitely lacks a degree of flexibility. Do think he’s a nice 4-3 fit now that we’re not worrying about guys standing up - not that he couldn’t but those loose hips aren’t as important now. Hopefully teams see it the same way and the 3-4 teams pass and he slips a bit. Reminded me a little of that dude from USC who had a few good seasons with the Packers - don’t remember if they drafted him but I think they did. Remember the board wanted to sign him as a FA. Name slips my mind.
Anybody know how old Smith is? Are we taking 23 year old redshirt senior or 25 year old redshirt senior? Not a big deal since he shredded FCS as a redshirt junior as well but dude is a man and very much maxed - which is cool because he’s also pretty much exactly how you draw up an edge but some of those guys struggle more when they’re playing against pros who are also maxed. Think it’s more of a WR issue than edge but still curious.

The USC guy is Nick Perry. Not sure where Smith is going, I wish I could find film on him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, maury77 said:


The USC guy is Nick Perry. Not sure where Smith is going, I wish I could find film on him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s absolutely the guy, thanks!

Smith physically looks like the most prototypical edge in the draft. Rousseau is also great but Smith is more twitchy.

This does feel like the kind of draft where I think they’re going to play Franklin-Myers and Phillips in the Armstead role and the bigger ends are less of a need and they more need a Bosa but they’re actually going to target a bigger edge like Rousseau because they don’t feel that’s covered by existing guys and spend on some FA for the Bosa role.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maury77 said:

Joe Tryon - This was a pleasant surprise. He's a big guy with good length who played standing up and from a 3 point stance. Good athlete and plays with some twitch. Wins in a variety of ways as a pass rusher. He can win with the speed rush (although he lacks great flexibility) and he can win with power as well. I think he sat out the season so some people have forgotten about him. My 1 concern with him is he really struggled whenever Washington asked him to diagnose plays as you see him get fooled constantly. He may benefit from playing in a more attacking style defense like Saleh's. Tryon could rise up boards depending on how he tests (he should test well since he took the season off, giving him extra time to work on training for his testing). 

I hate Tryon. I think he’s bad. He’s big, he’s long, but he can’t bend and he has no pass rush moves. I basically see him and Rousseau in the same way, guys that have what it takes to impress physically against mediocre competition but not enough to do anything that involves skill. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2021 at 6:57 PM, BCJet said:

Shaun Ellis does not get enough credit for the playoff win vs New England.  2 sacks and absolutely lived in the backfield and we only rushed 3/4 guys that game.  His ridiculous game allowed us to play so much coverage and slow brady.  Awesome all-time Jet.

I can't find the actual video - But in my life this was my most hyped I ever was as a Jet fan. I think it was the year after the first AFC championship game. Absolutely love Ellis - Totally with you. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, kdels62 said:

No. Pass rusher is fairly easy to draft especially at the top of the draft. Of the top 20 most effective pass rushers on PFF, 13 of them were picked in the first round. Get measurables and check it with production and boom, you probably have a good pass rusher.

This is actually what I was thinking too. 

I am thinking 23 is Edge, Corner or a Lineman. We have a FO that is going to focus on the premium positions and those three make a ton of sense really for both picks 23/Early 2. Edge is probably the most important. Would love if it lines up. Great Thread Maury. 

Its early but Paye - Seems like a high floor guy. Kind of relentless. Would absolutely be happy with him @23

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This edge class seems a bit underwhelming and the more I look at our defense, Id rather see us take Jabril Cox at the top of the 3rd to finally get some speed and coverage ability to the LB position.   Yes edge is obviously a need, but hopefully we can use FA to fill a spot like that for the short term and hope that QW becomes a better pass rusher this system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This edge class seems a bit underwhelming and the more I look at our defense, Id rather see us take Jabril Cox at the top of the 3rd to finally get some speed and coverage ability to the LB position.   Yes edge is obviously a need, but hopefully we can use FA to fill a spot like that for the short term and hope that QW becomes a better pass rusher this system.

Why not do both?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So my top 5 edge rankings for the Jets are:

1) Jaelan Phillips - I think he has the best tools of the group and he plays hard. I think his best football is ahead of him (even though the injuries scare me a little bit). 

2) Kwity Paye - Plus athlete that can pressure inside and outside, but I think his lack of length may hurt him a little at the pro level. 

3) Azeez Ojulari - I might rank him #1 if the Jets were still playing a 3-4, but I have size concerns if the plays with his hand in the dirt. 

4) Gregory Rousseau - I think he is overrated by most of the media. He really only has 1 dominant trait (his length) but he really knows how to use it. He is a more effective rusher inside than he is outside. 

5) Patrick Jones - I really like Jones, but his lackluster practices at the Senior Bowl and short arm measurement have given me some pause. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, maury77 said:

Why not do both?

Because I think we have too many other holes.   With picks 23 and 34 we should be in a good spot for a RB, TE or OL all of which would be good value and also fill a need.  And that is assuming we can fill WR in FA.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Because I think we have too many other holes.   With picks 23 and 34 we should be in a good spot for a RB, TE or OL all of which would be good value and also fill a need.  And that is assuming we can fill WR in FA.  

Assuming the Jets trade Darnold for a second, you could go QB, Edge, OL, WR, CB, LB in the first 3 rounds


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, maury77 said:

So my top 5 edge rankings for the Jets are:

1) Jaelan Phillips - I think he has the best tools of the group and he plays hard. I think his best football is ahead of him (even though the injuries scare me a little bit). 

2) Kwity Paye - Plus athlete that can pressure inside and outside, but I think his lack of length may hurt him a little at the pro level. 

3) Azeez Ojulari - I might rank him #1 if the Jets were still playing a 3-4, but I have size concerns if the plays with his hand in the dirt. 

4) Gregory Rousseau - I think he is overrated by most of the media. He really only has 1 dominant trait (his length) but he really knows how to use it. He is a more effective rusher inside than he is outside. 

5) Patrick Jones - I really like Jones, but his lackluster practices at the Senior Bowl and short arm measurement have given me some pause. 

Agreed.  While he has been able to use his length to his advantage in college, I do wonder if NFL OTs will exploit it and use it against him.  6’7” for an edge rusher is really tall, I have my concerns if he can live on the outside and make a career out there.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To briefly finish up the edge guys

Patrick Jones - I like him. He can win with speed and power and he plays hard. I wish he was a little bit longer, used his hands better and used a 2nd move more often. 

Quincy Roche - Good college pass rusher, but I have doubts about how he translates to the NFL as I don't see a lot of speed or power on tape. He has nice bend and is a good strategist as a pass rusher. 

Ronnie Perkins - HIs tape left me wanting more. Light defensive end whose game is all speed rushes and long arms. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a big fan of any of these Edge's in R1 right now.  Maybe as I spend a bit more time with them, but this is likley to be a deep year for Edge in Free Agency.  Hendrickson, Barrett, Dupree, Ngakoue, Floyd, Judon are all likely to be available and are under 30.  May be a few cap casualties to add to the list as well.  I would rather see us get a proven guy in FA and use 23 to upgrade either WR or OL.  Maybe add a developmental guy (not from UF) with one of our 3rd rounders.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not mind seeing the Jets double-dip at Edge this year.  I vividly recall watching them go DE and then DE in 2000, scratching my head a bit but then enjoying many years of excellent DLine play from Ellis and Abraham.

258410660_ScreenShot2021-02-21at8_15_35PM.png.5858f641edae26a7ba5cf0c6244cbd20.png

They ended up combining for 7 Pro Bowls in their careers and played well more than a decade each.  The Jets traded Abraham after his 6th season just as he was entering his prime.  I remember Abraham and Ellis combining for 20 sacks in 2004 and almost taking the Jets to the AFC Championship Game that year.

I'm not saying the Jets should hit Edge back-to-back early like they did in 2000, but why not jumpstart the pass rush with two guys in Round 3 or 4 as an example?  It does seem like after the first couple of guys there will be a deep group of pass rushers still floating around into the middle of the Draft.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 8:55 AM, Lith said:

I am not a big fan of any of these Edge's in R1 right now.  Maybe as I spend a bit more time with them, but this is likley to be a deep year for Edge in Free Agency.  Hendrickson, Barrett, Dupree, Ngakoue, Floyd, Judon are all likely to be available and are under 30.  May be a few cap casualties to add to the list as well.  I would rather see us get a proven guy in FA and use 23 to upgrade either WR or OL.  Maybe add a developmental guy (not from UF) with one of our 3rd rounders.

It seems like Edge is more quantity than quality this year.  No elite Chase Young types but there seem to be quite a few mid-round prospects who could turn into something.  When you get outside of Round 2 you're typically looking at guys with some flaws, size issues or off-field concerns.  But if your focus isn't on trying to get a 3-down player and maybe you want more of a situational pass rusher who is on the field for 30 plays per game then I think there are some guys you can take a swing at in this Draft.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pauline was asked about pass rushers for the Jets.

 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-rumors-draft-news-inside-scoop-on-the-2021-nfl-draft-and-more/

 

Who are your top 4 pass rushers that the Jets could get at 23 that’d fit into Robert Saleh’s system?

Kwity Paye and Carlos Basham Jr. are both terrific fits, though I believe No. 23 is a bit early for both players. Rashad Weaver or Elerson Smith are both good fits at the top of Round 3. Personally, I believe the best fit would not be in the draft, rather it would be free agent Trey Hendrickson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...