2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

Credit to @LAD_Brooklyn

6'3, 205 lbs

14 games, 65 receptions, 984 yards, 5 TDs

86.9 PFF grade

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.overtimeheroics.net/2021/01/25/2021-nfl-free-agency-coreydavis/amp/

4 Teams That Can Sign Corey Davis

The New York Jets are in a rebuild. They do, however, have the second pick in the draft and are lined up to take a franchise quarterback. Among teams that could sign Corey Davis in 2021 free agency, the Jets are an interesting one. They have the money and have a need at wide receiver.

Denzel Mims is still growing into the player he could be, and Jamison Crowder is a serviceable slot. But in terms of an outside threat, the Jets could use help, especially if Mims can’t develop quickly. With their money, the Jets could go after a player like Allen Robinson, who has more production and is probably the better player.But the market for him might get to be too much.

The Jets might have to be the team that overpays to get a guy like Corey Davis because they are desperate to help their young QB and need to get a receiver. Davis’s market will depend on what the other more talented receivers get but he could get a larger contract from a team that is desperate to sign him. The Jets will have their pick of players in the 2021 NFL free agency period, due to their abundance of cap space, and roster flexibility. A wide receiver could be a top priority and Corey Davis could bring big things to New York

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thejetpress.com/2021/01/25/ny-jets-5-wide-receivers-2021-free-agent/amp/3/

NY Jets: 5 wide receivers to target in 2021 free agency

A former fifth overall pick, Corey Davis hasn’t lived up to his high draft slot as of yet.

That being said, this last season saw Davis seemingly reach some of that potential in a shortened season. In just 12 games, Davis neared his first 1,000-yard season and scored on five occasions.

There’s a chance that Davis will not hit free agency this offseason, despite the Titans not picking up Davis’s fifth-year option.

However, with A.J. Brown recording back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and being selected to the Pro Bowl this year, Tennessee might opt to select a new receiver in the upcoming draft or sign one in free agency themselves.

Davis isn’t a surefire pickup for the team, as he has had some issues with drops and was virtually non-existent in their playoff loss against the Baltimore Ravens. However, paired with Crowder and Mims, Davis could end up being the missing piece of the puzzle the Jets needs to find.

By no means would adding Davis be a bad move, so long as Douglas does not overpay for him. Considering his contracts are normally cap friendly, Davis might be added to the team for a bargain.

This is, of course, assuming that the Jets don’t end up in a bidding war with his current team in the Titans. Tennessee is more of a complete team, having made the playoffs two years in a row. The Jets are a few missing pieces away from making a run themselves.

The decision may ultimately rest on which team Corey Davis would rather call home

• Upvote 1

Comments from Tony Pauline at the Sr Bowl today

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-free-agency-news-rumors-2021-senior-bowl/

The ripple effects of Robert Saleh joining the Jets’ organization

Will the hiring of Robert Saleh make the New York Jets a more appealing franchise to free agents? The answer from just about every agent I’ve spoken with here was a resounding, “Yes!”

As Adam Gase finished his disastrous tenure with the team, several articles were written with quotes from agents saying they purposely tell their clients not to sign with the Jets due to the disastrous nature of the franchise most of the past decade.

That seems to have changed on a dime.

Several agents told me outright, Saleh alone makes the New York Jets more marketable for their free agent players. One agent, who presently represents a starting defensive player on the team, said players love Saleh and love playing for him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

NFL rumors: Jets are favorites to trade for Texans’ Deshaun Watson but would have to pay historic bounty, insider says

Updated 3:27 PM; Today 3:14 PM 
deshaun watson

Houston Chronicle Texans beat reporter says the Jets are the only team who has the assets to acquire quarterback Deshaun Watson.(AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson has asked for a trade and according to a Texans beat reporter, the Jets are the only team that has the assets to trade for him.

Appearing on NFL Network Thursday, the Houston Chronicle’s John McClain reported the Texans are still saying they don’t want to trade Watson and that he is their quarterback of the future. But McClain said that if Watson becomes a distraction, the Texans’ stance on keeping the 25-year-old quarterback could change.

“If he goes out like James Harden and does what I call a scorched earth policy, where he shows up out of shape, doesn’t play, trashes his team, and does everything he can to get out, that could change,” McClain said. “To me, if he wants to be out, there’s only one team to trade him to, and that would be the Jets.

McClain said the reason the Jets make sense is that they have the second overall pick in this year’s draft.

“That would give Houston a chance at the second-best quarterback in the draft,” McClain said. “The Jets would have to pay the biggest price that has ever been paid for a quarterback because, in my 45 years of covering the NFL, I’ve never seen a situation like this.”

Watson had asked to be traded even before the Texans hired their new head coach, David Culley. Watson has made the Pro Bowl three out of his first four years in the NFL. Watson also led the league in passing yards (4,823) this season, despite having his No. 1 wide receiver, DeAndre Hopkins, traded to the Arizona Cardinals before the start of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

NFL rumors: Multiple teams call Jets about possible Sam Darnold trade

Updated 5:38 AM; Today 5:35 AM 
NFL Week 7: Buffalo Bills defeat New York Jets, 18-10

The New York Jets might trade quarterback Sam Darnold.Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media 

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

Will he stay or will he go?

That’s what New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas has to decide about quarterback Sam Darnold.

If he stays, that means the Jets pass on trading for Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson.

It also means the Jets most likely pass on using the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft on a QB.

If Darnold goes, the Jets reboot at quarterback just three years after selecting Darnold with the No. 3 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

SI’s Albert Breer reports the Jets are not lacking for options.

I believe Sam Darnold is in play. First, what I know: Four teams have called the Jets to inquire about Darnold’s availability. Each was met with an interesting response, told that the team, with its new coaching staff getting its footing, is still evaluating the quarterback position. That, of course, is not a “no.” And it is true that new offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur and his lieutenants have been taking Jets GM Joe Douglas and his scouts through all the ins and outs of what they want schematically, and what they look for in players individually. Now, for what I think: Douglas, and his scouting brain trust of Rex Hogan, Phil Savage and Chad Alexander have had time to get a really good look at BYU’s Zach Wilson, Ohio State’s Justin Fields and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance, and even if they don’t know them yet as well as they’ll need to in April, the fact that dealing Darnold is a consideration tells you that they’re at least intrigued by something there. The interesting thing is the 23-year-old Darnold is only two years older than Fields and Wilson, and three years older than Lance. And it’d be very easy for another to look at Darnold, and the situation he was in, and deduce that the still-raw talent he’s got can very much be harvested. Which, then, could lead to Douglas having the ability to get even more draft capital to work with to surround a quarterback taken with the second pick. That is, of course, assuming that Deshaun Watson isn’t in play in a few weeks. Either way, the Jets are in a decent spot here, regardless of where they decide to go. And right now? Right now, if I’m a team that prefers Darnold to, say, (Marcus) Mariota or (Carson) Wentz, I’m probably holding tight on making a big quarterback move.

The next move on the QB carousel could come as soon as Tuesday, with multiple reports indicating the Philadelphia Eagles might be close to trading Carson Wentz.

Bleacher Report 

QB Sam Darnold

If the Jets can't land Watson, they could still use the second overall pick in this year's draft on a new signal-caller. If they do, they'll likely be moving on from 2018 first-rounder Sam Darnold. New head coach Robert Saleh has no attachment to Darnold and should look to play the best option moving forward.

Other teams know that Darnold's future in New York is uncertain.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, "multiple teams" have reached out to express interest in the USC product. Given Darnold's up-and-down start to his career—his passer rating of 78.6 leaves plenty to be desired—the Jets cannot expect high-end compensation.

However, New York could get something of value in return, as the Arizona Cardinals did when they dealt Josh Rosen to the Miami Dolphins for a second-round pick following his rookie season. 

Saleh's relationship with his former team, the San Francisco 49ers, could play a role. San Francisco had discussions with the Lions about acquiring Stafford, and they may be interested in moving on from Jimmy Garoppolo this offseason.

"I've watched him a lot whether it was college or last week's game… I'm a big fan of Sam's," 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said last year, per Marc Delucchi of Niners Wire.

A trade involving the two quarterbacks could give both the Jets and the 49ers fresh starts in 2021.

Prediction: 49ers acquire Darnold for Garoppolo and a 2021 fifth-round pick.    

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bleacher Report 

QB Sam Darnold

If the Jets can't land Watson, they could still use the second overall pick in this year's draft on a new signal-caller. If they do, they'll likely be moving on from 2018 first-rounder Sam Darnold. New head coach Robert Saleh has no attachment to Darnold and should look to play the best option moving forward.

Other teams know that Darnold's future in New York is uncertain.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, "multiple teams" have reached out to express interest in the USC product. Given Darnold's up-and-down start to his career—his passer rating of 78.6 leaves plenty to be desired—the Jets cannot expect high-end compensation.

However, New York could get something of value in return, as the Arizona Cardinals did when they dealt Josh Rosen to the Miami Dolphins for a second-round pick following his rookie season. 

Saleh's relationship with his former team, the San Francisco 49ers, could play a role. San Francisco had discussions with the Lions about acquiring Stafford, and they may be interested in moving on from Jimmy Garoppolo this offseason.

"I've watched him a lot whether it was college or last week's game… I'm a big fan of Sam's," 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said last year, per Marc Delucchi of Niners Wire.

A trade involving the two quarterbacks could give both the Jets and the 49ers fresh starts in 2021.

Prediction: 49ers acquire Darnold for Garoppolo and a 2021 fifth-round pick.    

EnlightenedNimbleHanumanmonkey-size_rest

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don’t get the Garoppolo hate and why the niners would even entertain the idea of trading him. His stats, when healthy, are sound and solid.

We should be so lucky for Sam to have such stats, but be that at it may, this seems like a salary issue more than anything else.

am I missing something?

Maybe the 49rs just think he has taken them as far as he can, and to get where they want to go they have to upgrade.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Something tells me we are not going to use the #2 pick on a QB and go the trade route of free agency. 

It seems Sam Darnold is a goner. 

Yes, then it HAS to be Watson. If not Watson, I would be pissed if we passed on Wilson. You can bring in a vet to help him along, maybe start a few games, but not be THE guy. It has to be Watson or Wilson IMO.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don’t get the Garoppolo hate and why the niners would even entertain the idea of trading him. His stats, when healthy, are sound and solid.

We should be so lucky for Sam to have such stats, but be that at it may, this seems like a salary issue more than anything else.

am I missing something?

Very, very limited QB - also can't stay healthy. Shanahan has zero trust in his abilities.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:31 PM, joewilly12 said:

I herby appoint you the ***OFFICIAL WINNER*** of the tiniest micro weenie on JetNation. 

Your name does it @Wonderboy  

Wonder if it's a boy or a girl first words said when you were born. 

Talk NY Jets and NFL football or SHUT THE HELL UP. 

Don't like the thread IGNORE it. 

Oh, cool. You’re at it again. Starting sh*t, then you will be crying victim.

17 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

am I missing something?

I think they probably believe he's reached his ceiling and a lot of his production is circumstance. Same reason the Rams dumped Goff, who similarly had solid stats and made it to the Super Bowl.

Those teams have a window right now, they aren't satisfied with mediocre QB play. 

You're right we should be so lucky -- but we've had such bad offensive coaching and QB play for so long that we simply have lower standards. They're looking to win a championship.

5 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Very, very limited QB - also can't stay healthy. Shanahan has zero trust in his abilities.

limited? He must be seriously injured then..

In 2019 , he was close to 70% completion rate, close to 4K yards passing. 27tds to 13 ints and rushed for 69yrds game

what the heck more do they want out of a QB?

Must be money?

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think they probably believe he's reached his ceiling and a lot of his production is circumstance. Same reason the Rams dumped Goff, who similarly had solid stats and made it to the Super Bowl.

Those teams have a window right now, they aren't satisfied with mediocre QB play. 

You're right we should be so lucky -- but we've had such bad offensive coaching and QB play for so long that we simply have lower standards. They're looking to win a championship.

But they went to the super bowl with him? Like last year!,,

I just don’t understand.

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I know I've soured on him personally but I've heard Jets, Giants, and return to Pittsburgh all in play

This is the first I'm seeing Will Fuller. I love him as a player he just can't stay healthy. 

Per

@JFowlerESPN

JuJu Smith-Schuster (#Steelers) & Will Fuller (#Texans) are at the ‘top’ of the list the #Jets will look at in free agency. W/ Zach Pascal of the #Colts as a ‘2nd tier option’

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

limited? He must be seriously injured then..

In 2019 , he was close to 70% completion rate, close to 4K yards passing. 27tds to 13 ints and rushed for 69yrds game

what the heck more do they want out of a QB?

Must be money?

That's the point - it's not the QB. Shanahan's ability to have a great run game, good play calling, mask his QBs weaknesses while emphasizing his strengths and figure out ways to scheme WRs open have much more to do with Garoppolo's success than his natural ability.

Garoppolo's not a guy who is going to make plays for you to win a game. Shanahan wants a guy that can do that.

30 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

am I missing something?

The, "When Healthy" part

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

I know I've soured on him personally but I've heard Jets, Giants, and return to Pittsburgh all in play

This is the first I'm seeing Will Fuller. I love him as a player he just can't stay healthy. 

Dont love the whole tik tok presence, but i would think if Sam were to stay grabbing a wr who is coming off a down year and could come cheaper, who also has chemistry already with your qb, could be enticing

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Dont love the whole tik tok presence, but i would think if Sam were to stay grabbing a wr who is coming off a down year and could come cheaper, who also has chemistry already with your qb, could be enticing

I just think that the one big season + his tik tok persona has resulted in his perception being an elite player when in reality he's solid. It's still unclear to me whether he's Mohamed Sanu or Anquan Boldin which is a bit frustrating. Personal opinions on him aside, he's the type of free agent you take risks on because of his age, his skill-set, and the fact that the Steelers may have limited him. You already know that he can play in the slot, so if you sign him and he doesn't succeed at the Z, you'll have a home for him on the inside. If he shows you something you didn't know he had operating from the Z, it's a free agency score. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

I just think that the one big season + his tik tok persona has resulted in his perception being an elite player when in reality he's solid. It's still unclear to me whether he's Mohamed Sanu or Anquan Boldin which is a bit frustrating. Personal opinions on him aside, he's the type of free agent you take risks on because of his age, his skill-set, and the fact that the Steelers may have limited him. You already know that he can play in the slot, so if you sign him and he doesn't succeed at the Z, you'll have a home for him on the inside. If he shows you something you didn't know he had operating from the Z, it's a free agency score. 

Exactly my feelings. 

In terms of his potential, he had the one big year but he hasn't shown anywhere near that consistency since, but if you were to tell me he could be Sanu i would take that.  Thats a very solid player, and we can use a solid FA piece at WR.  If the price is right and he wont be a distraction with all the other stuff I see it as a good value signing with the chance to have a really nice upside. 

31 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Per

@JFowlerESPN

JuJu Smith-Schuster (#Steelers) & Will Fuller (#Texans) are at the ‘top’ of the list the #Jets will look at in free agency. W/ Zach Pascal of the #Colts as a ‘2nd tier option’

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans wide receiver Will Fuller V has been suspended for six games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Fuller said the violation was a result of his taking prescribed medication not permitted under the policy.