2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

The knock to me on Jimmy G is he has a pretty legit cap hit (~$25mm for the next two years) despite being a mediocre/sub average player in a QB friendly scheme who has an injury history. I'd much rather roll with Sam for 1 year and save $15mm that could be used for ARob/Thuney/literally anyone - than pay Jimmy G that type of money for best case scenario average QB play. 

Not sure how much stock I put in Fowler's report given how tight lipped the Jets have been during the Joe D era - but am not thrilled with Juju or especially Will Fuller as our targets. As others have said Will Fullers injury history is so concerning to me that I wouldn't sign him under any circumstances unless he is willing to get paid something like $5mm per year. 

Juju is not my first choice but I do think he gets a disproportionate amount of hate for his production. If they went the Juju route I'd be curious to see if they cut Crowder as Juju seems to operate the best out of the slot and the Jets can get out of Crowder's contract. 

One free agent I don't see hitting the market but if he does the Jets should be all in on is Taylor Moton from Carolina. Only 26 years old, 80+ PFF grade last year and based on his draft scouting reports should do well in a zone blocking scheme (Rhule ran zone blocking scheme at Baylor but I can't find anything as to whether or not that was what was run this year). Moton would require a legit investment (15-17mm), but he would play right tackle and would only represent a "net" cost of 5-7mm per year after getting out of the Fant contract. 

• Upvote 3

I got around to reading Jeremy Fowler's top 50. Here are the main one's worth mentioning: 

8. Kenny Golladay, WR

Best fit: New York Giants

Golden Tate could be done in New York, Sterling Shepard never emerged as a true No. 1 and Darius Slayton is a fifth-round pick. Time to invest in a top-of-market guy for Daniel Jones. Detroit can franchise tag Golladay, but that's hardly a slam dunk after he played five games for the Lions last season. The Giants signed high-priced corner James Bradberry last offseason, and he played well for them. Might duplicate that strategy at receiver.

If KG isn't franchise-tagged, his market will be fascinating to monitor. The Giants have long been rumored, but if he goes somewhere else (watch out for Baltimore), the Giants are expected to have interest in JuJu Smith-Schuster. 

10. Allen Robinson II, WR

Best fit: Washington Football Team

It feels like he's done in Chicago, and Washington needs a top guy to elevate the offense. Terry McLaurin is terrific, but most around the league still consider him a high-level No. 2. And Washington almost landed Amari Cooper last free agency. They won't miss this time. Washington is exhausting all options at the quarterback position and wants to surround the position with weaponry.

I have no idea what to think with A-Rob. I would love for the Jets to sign him, but I'm not convinced he's done in CHI quite yet despite the social media chatter. I haven't heard anything specifically, but from an evaluation standpoint, he may be a redundant fit with Denzel Mims in the Jets passing attack. 

13. Chris Godwin, WR

Best fit: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Godwin is prepared for the franchise tag this year. It's the cleanest way for Tampa to try to keep its Super Bowl core intact. He's too good to let leave the building. The Buccaneers have at least five key free agents and want to keep as many as possible. That process starts with Godwin.

If somehow Godwin didn't get tagged/re-signed, he'd be the Jets top target. He's #1 on their FA board. 

17. Corey Linsley, C

Best fit: New York Jets

Connor McGovern wasn't great at center last season, and since his $8 million salary is guaranteed for 2021, the Jets can kick him to guard. Linsley, one of the league's most consistent centers, gives New York a leader up front to help a young quarterback, whether Sam Darnold, a draft pick or a new option via trade.

Agents think this is real. I think he either signs with Green Bay or the Jets. It may ultimately come down to Aaron Jones or Corey Linsley. 

20. Joe Thuney, G

Best fit: Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati needs help across the offensive line. Snagging a premier free-agent guard is a good start. The Bengals could then double down in the second-tier tackle market and draft Oregon's Penei Sewell with the No. 5 pick. Lots of options for a team that must keep Joe Burrow protected. The Bengals have $32.7 million in cap space to make it happen.

We all know about the Jets affinity for Thuney by now, and I do believe that had he hit the market, the Jets would've signed him. They missed out on both he and Graham Glasgow last year (Glasgow and his wife wanted no part of the east coast). I think they will jump in the fray with him this year, but I ultimately think he signs with Cincinnati. Agents have acknowledged that Thuney is from Cincinnati and his entire family still lives there. He's travelled all over the world since college and loved his life and being in NE, but had a long-term relationship end in 2020, which may add to the desire to return home. 

25. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR

Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur will be looking for a yards-after-catch demon with toughness, explosion and blocking for his 49ers-based system (think: Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk). Smith-Schuster would fit as a do-it-all option opposite Denzel Mims and Jamison Crowder. He's not as fast as Samuel or Aiyuk but posted 409 yards after the catch last season, tops among free-agent receivers.

The Jets are taking a look at Smith-Schuster and Will Fuller V at the top of the market, as well as second-tier options such as restricted free agent Zach Pascal.

I personally don't want him but the 3 teams he's been connected to are the Jets, Giants, and Steelers. The Jets view him as a movement-Z receiver who could shift back into the slot in 2022. They mention Will Fuller here- that's a new one. Would be a great fit, but I can't ignore the injuries. Also wouldn't hurt the Watson angle if he did become available. Zach Pascal won't be available. 

27. Curtis Samuel, WR

Best fit: Jacksonville Jaguars

Urban Meyer recruited Samuel to Ohio State and once considered him his best playmaker since Percy Harvin. A reunion seems natural, as Meyer could use Samuel -- more playmaker than elite route runner -- all over the field. Samuel will be coveted as a slightly cheaper alternative to the top of the market. Also watch for the 49ers here. They love this style of player.

I think this is a lazy connection. The Jets will be in on him, as will the Browns, Patriots, and Packers, among others. 

33. Marcus Maye, S

Best fit: Philadelphia Eagles

Maye reunites with his position coach in New York, Dennard Wilson, who was hired by the Eagles this offseason. Also watch out for Dallas, which also needs safety help and made Dan Quinn, Maye's college coordinator at Florida, its defensive coordinator. At least six teams will be in the safety market.

There's like 1% chance Maye makes it to free agency.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, football guy said:

This one is absolutely a possibility. There's a belief is that Thuney will have options but is most likely headed to Cincinnati, with Linsley becoming the highest paid center for the Jets. I only think the Jets will sign 2 guys to big contracts: 1 OL and 1 WR. I think they trade for a DE, then fill out the roster with a ton of mid-to-low level free agents. I won't be surprised if we sign like 15+ players. 

My goodness, Macc was just horrible. That's like 25% of your roster.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, football guy said:

This one is absolutely a possibility. There's a belief is that Thuney will have options but is most likely headed to Cincinnati, with Linsley becoming the highest paid center for the Jets. I only think the Jets will sign 2 guys to big contracts: 1 OL and 1 WR. I think they trade for a DE, then fill out the roster with a ton of mid-to-low level free agents. I won't be surprised if we sign like 15+ players. 

This is interesting on a few levels but basically because I think it plays into perfectly what I had heard last offseason. 

I had heard Douglas was ready to pounce big time on Thuney before the Franchise Tag was slapped on him, so my thinking was that this year it was a no brainer he was their number one target, but if youre saying that the prevailing belief is Thuney will most likely wind up in Cincy then Linsley makes perfect sense to me as I had heard Douglas felt that McGovern was a better LG than C and would like to eventually kick him to that spot. Linsley would allow them to do that

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

25. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR

Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur will be looking for a yards-after-catch demon with toughness, explosion and blocking for his 49ers-based system (think: Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk). Smith-Schuster would fit as a do-it-all option opposite Denzel Mims and Jamison Crowder. He's not as fast as Samuel or Aiyuk but posted 409 yards after the catch last season, tops among free-agent receivers.

The Jets are taking a look at Smith-Schuster and Will Fuller V at the top of the market, as well as second-tier options such as restricted free agent Zach Pascal.

Yes 

If the Jets had a franchise quarterback, they’d know by now

1293332177.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
February 11, 2021 8:30 am

The term “franchise quarterback” gets thrown around every offseason when teams inevitably decide they either have one or need one. 

Teams that have one move forward with surrounding their quarterback with playmakers, protection or a better defense. The ones that don’t restart their search – either in the trade market, free agency or the draft.

The Jets, however, appear to be in some strange purgatory when it comes to their situation under center. New York currently has Sam Darnold, a quarterback who’s vastly underperformed in his three NFL seasons but has also shown flashes of potential. Darnold could be a lot of things for the Jets: He could truly be their franchise quarterback if they keep him. Or perhaps he’s just in the final year of his trial run, this time in a new offense, and could stay on past this season if he performers well. Or, in what seems the most likely case, he could be an important trade chip to acquire more draft capital or a different quarterback. 

But the very fact that Darnold’s future is in flux answers the “franchise quarterback” question for New York.

If the Jets believed Darnold was their long-term quarterback, they wouldn’t refuse to commit to him for next season, as Robert Saleh did in multiple interviews since the Jets hired him. They wouldn’t be exploring “all the scenarios,” according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, or listening to trade calls.

If the Jets were sure Darnold was their guy, there wouldn’t be any discussion about where he’ll play next season. He’d be playing for the Jets. Period. End of story.

But, as multiple reports around the league have indicated, the Jets are unsure about Darnold. The discussion seems to be, Can they find someone better? Not Darnold is the undisputed answer. He’s rather a giant question mark who has been mediocre at best and, more-often, turnover-prone.

Among the 29 quarterbacks who have started at least half of the games since Darnold’s rookie season in 2018, the Jets quarterback ranks last in completion percentage, 22nd in passing yards, 25th in passing touchdowns, fifth in interceptions and is tied for 22nd in wins. Those numbers put Darnold right below Mitchell Trubisky, and he’s likely on his way out in Chicago.

Of course, it’s easy to blame Darnold’s mediocre career on the Jets. Darnold has had two head coaches in three seasons and his supporting cast has been lackluster. These points are often raised by the pro-Darnold contingent. It’s likely why the Jets continue to monitor all possible avenues with Darnold. He could be better in Mike LaFleur’s new offense. He could be better with more weapons around him and a good offensive line. He could be better than any of the rookies available with the second overall pick.

Or, Darnold could be another first-round bust.

If Darnold was the answer to the Jets’ franchise quarterback question, Douglas, Saleh and the Jets would know by now. But because the Jets simply don’t know, or are unwilling to reveal whether they know or not, they’re left speculating and building alternative plans if they decide to move on from Darnold.

Sometimes, not knowing the answer is the answer.

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If the Jets had a franchise quarterback, they’d know by now

1293332177.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
February 11, 2021 8:30 am

The term “franchise quarterback” gets thrown around every offseason when teams inevitably decide they either have one or need one. 

Teams that have one move forward with surrounding their quarterback with playmakers, protection or a better defense. The ones that don’t restart their search – either in the trade market, free agency or the draft.

The Jets, however, appear to be in some strange purgatory when it comes to their situation under center. New York currently has Sam Darnold, a quarterback who’s vastly underperformed in his three NFL seasons but has also shown flashes of potential. Darnold could be a lot of things for the Jets: He could truly be their franchise quarterback if they keep him. Or perhaps he’s just in the final year of his trial run, this time in a new offense, and could stay on past this season if he performers well. Or, in what seems the most likely case, he could be an important trade chip to acquire more draft capital or a different quarterback. 

But the very fact that Darnold’s future is in flux answers the “franchise quarterback” question for New York.

If the Jets believed Darnold was their long-term quarterback, they wouldn’t refuse to commit to him for next season, as Robert Saleh did in multiple interviews since the Jets hired him. They wouldn’t be exploring “all the scenarios,” according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, or listening to trade calls.

If the Jets were sure Darnold was their guy, there wouldn’t be any discussion about where he’ll play next season. He’d be playing for the Jets. Period. End of story.

But, as multiple reports around the league have indicated, the Jets are unsure about Darnold. The discussion seems to be, Can they find someone better? Not Darnold is the undisputed answer. He’s rather a giant question mark who has been mediocre at best and, more-often, turnover-prone.

Among the 29 quarterbacks who have started at least half of the games since Darnold’s rookie season in 2018, the Jets quarterback ranks last in completion percentage, 22nd in passing yards, 25th in passing touchdowns, fifth in interceptions and is tied for 22nd in wins. Those numbers put Darnold right below Mitchell Trubisky, and he’s likely on his way out in Chicago.

Of course, it’s easy to blame Darnold’s mediocre career on the Jets. Darnold has had two head coaches in three seasons and his supporting cast has been lackluster. These points are often raised by the pro-Darnold contingent. It’s likely why the Jets continue to monitor all possible avenues with Darnold. He could be better in Mike LaFleur’s new offense. He could be better with more weapons around him and a good offensive line. He could be better than any of the rookies available with the second overall pick.

Or, Darnold could be another first-round bust.

If Darnold was the answer to the Jets’ franchise quarterback question, Douglas, Saleh and the Jets would know by now. But because the Jets simply don’t know, or are unwilling to reveal whether they know or not, they’re left speculating and building alternative plans if they decide to move on from Darnold.

Sometimes, not knowing the answer is the answer.

This is 100% correct and what many of us have been saying since Joe Douglas first presser after the season ended.

• Upvote 2

The need for a great center has to be one of the top priorities in 2021. Whether it be from the draft or FA, I don't care. 2 must haves in 2021, a starting STUD Center, and STUD OG... McGovern can move to the other guard spot which should take care of the middle of the line. We're set with Becton, and Font for now, but RT would be down the road if we get the Center/Guard done.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Who thinks the NY Jets are going to get DeShaun Watson 

It’s very likely, only way it doesn’t happen imo if Houston waits until after the draft. If the jets draft a QB at 2, I think they will remove themselves from the Watson conversation 

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

It’s very likely, only way it doesn’t happen imo if Houston waits until after the draft. If the jets draft a QB at 2, I think they will remove themselves from the Watson conversation 

If Houston doesn’t trade him before the draft, and does afterward, the league should step in and run the team like MLB did with the Expos back in the day.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 players Jets could cut to create salary cap space for the 2021 season

Gang Green is in great shape cap-wise but can clear additional room

2/08/2021 10:00am

Dec 20, 2020; Inglewood, California, USA; New York Jets wide receiver Jamison Crowder (82) carries the ball aLos Angeles Rams in the third quarter at SoFi Stadium. The Jets defeated the Rams 23-20.

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The NFL salary cap is expected to drop for just the second time in it's history, possibly to as low as $175 or $180 million – $20-to-25 million below where it was this past season. That could put several teams in a bit of a cap crunch.

The Jets are most definitely not one of those teams.

In fact, their cap situation is so good that they could cut absolutely no one, watch the cap bottom out, and still have about $65 million in salary cap space to spend in free agency. That will make them one of the richest teams on the market when it opens on March 17.

In fact, they could make some easy cuts and, if the cap settles in at something more like $185 million, the Jets could end up with nearly $100 million to spend. 

They have more than enough to do whatever they want – re-sign safety Marcus Maye, add a No. 1 receiver, find a pass-rusher. They could even fit in that three-time Pro Bowl quarterback in Houston, if they wanted to pursue a trade.

Chances are that they will still make a few financial moves to help their cause, even though they don’t have to do it. 

Here’s a look at some of the players who could end up as “cap cuts” over the next few weeks (with numbers provided by OverTheCap.com)...

DE Henry Anderson

He had seven sacks in 2018 and the Jets responded by signing him to a three-year, $25.2 million contract extension the day before free agency in 2019. It seemed like a good idea for a guy who had cost them only a seventh-round pick in a trade. But since then he’s had 1 ½ sacks in 21 games over two seasons, and he’ll be 30 in August. Even teams with plenty of cap room can’t devote $9.5 million to a player like that. Possible cap savings: $8.2 million.

WR Jamison Crowder

There is no doubt Crowder can be a valuable slot man. He had 59 catches for 699 yards and six touchdowns in just 12 games this past season, and he’s turning only 28 in June. But he’s not the explosive weapon former Jets head coach Adam Gase thought he would be. Plus, the Jets are likely to add a receiver or two in free agency and the draft. Keeping Crowder isn’t a bad idea. Keeping him with a cap number of $11.375 million is. Possible cap savings: $10.375 million.

G Alex Lewis 

He is a favorite of GM Joe Douglas, who gave him a three-year, $18.6 million contract last March. But he wasn’t good last season, and then he missed the final six games while dealing with personal issues. With the Jets likely to revamp their offensive line again this offseason, and with guard Joe Thuney a likely free agent target, Lewis could be the odd man out. With a cap number of $6.9 million, he’s a pay-cut candidate at the very least. Possible cap savings: $5.2 million.

G Greg Van Roten 

He’s theoretically in the same place on the chopping block as Lewis, especially since he’s about to turn 31 and coming off an up-and-down season. His cap number of $3.65 million is far more manageable, though, and the savings aren’t as much. Possible cap savings: $3.4 million.

TE Ryan Griffin 

If the San Francisco 49ers' offense is any indication, tight ends are going to be a big part of the Jets’ offense under new offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur. Could he find a use for the 31-year-old Griffin? Maybe, though it’s hard to judge his value with the way Gase ignored tight ends. Griffin did have 34 catches and five touchdowns in 2019, but was a non-entity in 2020 (nine catches, 86 yards). The Jets can probably find a better option, considering Griffin will cost $3.3 million against the cap. Possible cap savings: $1.8 million

RT George Fant

After some early struggles, he played better as the season went along. He’s on this list, though, because of his cap number of $9.35 million and because it’s unclear how Douglas will remake the line this offseason. If he pursues a tackle instead of a guard in free agency, it doesn’t make sense to keep Fant at starter’s money. But it will be hard to just throw this powerful, 6-6, 322-pounder away. Possible cap savings: $7.35 million

On 2/10/2021 at 11:34 AM, Marshmello said:

I wonder if Joe would absorb a bad contract for draft picks. Similar to what the Browns did when they traded for Brock Osweiler.

I can definitely see this.  I can also see Douglas trading away 1-2 of our many 6th rounders for quality player(s) who are about to be cap casualties.  

• Upvote 1

The Ideal Offseason Trade Scenario for Every NFL Team

BRENT SOBLESKIFEBRUARY 11, 2021

New York Jets Trade for TE Zach Ertz

Tight end Zach Ertz to the New York Jets is simply a matter of connecting the dots.

Whoever is starting at quarterback needs targets. Injuries caused Ertz's production to dip in 2020, but the three-time Pro Bowl selection is an excellent target over the middle of the field. Prior to last season, Ertz averaged 86 catches per year between 2015 and '19.

The tight end has ties to Jets general manager Joe Douglas, as well. Douglas served as the Philadelphia Eagles' vice president of player personnel for four seasons before he left to run the Jets.

Finally, the Jets have plenty of room to absorb Ertz's contract. At $68 million, New York ranks third in projected salary-cap space. Plus, the deal saves the Eagles $4.7 million as Douglas' former team struggles with getting under next year's shrinking salary cap.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1