2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

On 2/20/2021 at 1:18 PM, joewilly12 said:

Ju-Ju and a top draft WR instantly improves this WR corps. 

The Steelers cant afford him and they have drafted very well at WR over the last few years, we haven't. 

We seem to want to resurrect any and all JAG WR who isn't on some other team roster. 

Well thought out. We are in no position to be giving picks away. 

I just don’t like JuJu at all. I don’t feel he is worth anywhere near what he will be paid. Whether by us or another team, I think whoever get him will regret is sooner than later. 

He feasted when AB was still there and he took the double teams. As a number one and getting double teamed, I feel like he was exposed. 

would much rather go after any of the other top WR hitting the market. A-Rob is still the top choice for me by a landslide margin. 

• Upvote 2

NFL rumors: Texans’ DeShaun Watson for Jets’ Sam Darnold, Quinnen Williams and more? NFL insider’s proposed trade

Updated 9:21 AM; Today 7:49 AM 
New York Jets vs. Cleveland,  Browns Dec., 27, 2020

Jets quarterback Sam Darnold would be sent to the Houston Texans in a trade proposed by NBC Sports' Peter King. Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

Jets quarterback Sam Darnold remains on the roster, and new head coach Robert Saleh says that he fits the team’s new offense. However, in one NFL insider’s mock trade, Darnold would be sent to the Houston Texans in a blockbuster trade to land Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson.

In his Football Morning in America column, NBC Sports’ Peter King made trade proposals for the teams that have been rumored to be interested in acquiring Watson. King proposed the Jets include Darnold, defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, the second overall pick and the team’s second-round selection in 2021, the higher of New York’s two first-round picks in 2022, and a 2023 second-round pick in exchange for Watson.

“(Texans general manager Nick) Caserio could turn the second overall pick this year into another ransom, but I’m just skeptical that (Jets general manager Joe) Douglas would make this move,” King said. “Obviously, he’d be thrilled to get Watson, but he knows he has a crummy overall roster, and denuding his looming drafts, I believe, is too much for him to accept. One other factor here: With Houston in some cap trouble and the Jets with a monstrous $68 million in cap space per Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap, the Texans could ask the Jets to take the guaranteed $10.5-million 2020 contract of fading edge rusher Whitney Mercilus.”

King added that Douglas likes to develop talent through the draft, and the Jets would “chafe” at doing a deal with so much draft capital being sent to Houston.

“But so many of the ingredients are there,” King said. “The Jets would be able to jettison a quarterback with some interesting value, along with the second overall pick plus a trove of draft currency.”

A three-time Pro Bowl quarterback, Watson threw for a league-leading 4,823 yards, 33 touchdowns, and seven interceptions in the 2020 season. Watson has reportedly asked for a trade, but the Texans have been steadfast in their desire to keep him on the roster.

The Jets find themselves in a unique position when it comes to their quarterback position. In 12 games last season, Darnold, the team’s first-round pick in 2018, threw for 2,208 yards, nine touchdowns, and 11 interceptions. There have been reports that the Jets are listening to offers for Darnold, with a second-round pick being the starting point.

If the team decides to remain where they are and take a quarterback, they will have their choice of Ohio State’s Justin Fields or BYU’s Zach Wilson in this year’s draft.

Williams, who was selected third overall by the Jets in the 2019 draft, had seven sacks, 10 tackles for loss and 55 combined tackles last season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Thanks I tried that before and it always came out small font.

Many complained now its LARGE. 

Np. You "copy" it and then right click and "paste as plain text" and it came out small? Odd. Then you have to re-highlight all of it after its been pasted and changed with the forum options "Size". 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

In his Football Morning in America column, NBC Sports’ Peter King made trade proposals for the teams that have been rumored to be interested in acquiring Watson. King proposed the Jets include Darnold, defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, the second overall pick and the team’s second-round selection in 2021, the higher of New York’s two first-round picks in 2022, and a 2023 second-round pick in exchange for Watson.

ble to jettison a quarterback with some interesting value, along with the second overall pick plus a trove of draft currency.”

Seriously?

• Upvote 1

New York Jets: Dismiss Trade Offers at No. 2

25 OF 32

Before deciding whether to replace quarterback Sam Darnold this offseason, the New York Jets want to do their due diligence on this year's prospect crop. 

"Part of the process for the Jets is going to be assessing the quarterbacks that’ll be available with the second pick, and comparing them to Darnold, and seeing them throw is part of that equation," Albert Breer of The MMQB wrote.

If the Jets are sold on a prospect like Trey Lance or Zach Wilson being better than Darnold, it will make sense for them to take a quarterback at No. 2 overall. But if they have any questions about the gap in potential, dismissing trade offers for the pick would be a mistake.

The proposed package would have to be significant, but the Jets aren't just a quarterback away from contention. Darnold plus two or three first-round picks could be far more valuable to the franchise than an unproven rookie prospect.

The New York Jets have a massive decision to make regarding Sam Darnold's future with the organization. As the owners of this year's second overall draft pick, they are in a position to move forward with another quarterback if one strikes the fancy of general manager Joe Douglas and new head coach Robert Saleh. 

While Darnold's status remains in limbo, the possibility of pairing BYU's Zach Wilson with offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur will be extremely tempting. 

LaFleur will bring his own version of the wide-zone scheme after working alongside current San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan since the 2014 campaign. LaFleur served as the 49ers passing game coordinator the last four seasons. 

BYU utilized a similar scheme with many of the wide-zone principles, and Wilson proved efficient and excelled in the system. He's at his best when working from designed pocket movement. The bootlegs, rollouts and sprint-outs baked into the fabric of the offense would help accentuate the 21-year-old's strengths. Furthermore, an emphasis on the play-action game would take some pressure off the young signal-caller as he matures as an NFL quarterback. 

Another interesting aspect of this potential pairing revolves around LaFleur's familial ties. 

"I don't know if you can compare it to Aaron Rodgers," BYU head coach Kalani Sitake told the New York Post's Steve Serby when asked about Wilson's arm talent. "I know he loves the way Aaron Rodgers plays, and idolizes the way he plays. He studies a lot of quarterbacks that play in the league right now. The guy's a very, very advanced student of the game."

With LaFleur's brother, Matt, serving as the Green Bay Packers head coach, the Jets coordinator could implement some of the things his sibling has done schematically to make life easier for the rookie quarterback.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't know if you can compare it to Aaron Rodgers," BYU head coach Kalani Sitake told the New York Post's Steve Serby when asked about Wilson's arm talent. "I know he loves the way Aaron Rodgers plays, and idolizes the way he plays. He studies a lot of quarterbacks that play in the league right now. The guy's a very, very advanced student of the game."

With LaFleur's brother, Matt, serving as the Green Bay Packers head coach, the Jets coordinator could implement some of the things his sibling has done schematically to make life easier for the rookie quarterback.

This is possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever ******* read in my life

NFL rumors: Why it makes sense for Jets to franchise tag Marcus Maye, who they can’t afford to lose in free agency 

Updated 6:45 AM; Today 6:45 AM 
New York Jets lose heartbreaker to Las Vegas Raiders, December 6, 2020

Marcus Maye was one of the Jets' best players last season. Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media 

The NFL’s franchise tag window opened Tuesday.

That means the Jets have two weeks — before the window closes March 9 — to decide what to do with safety Marcus Maye, one of their few foundational, young players.

The Jets simply cannot afford to lose Maye, a pending free agent. So if they can’t work out a long-term contract with him before March 9, they need to franchise tag him.

It makes perfectly reasonable sense for several reasons, as Jets general manager Joe Douglas prepares for the March 15 start of free agency (which is when the negotiating window opens)

First of all, Maye’s franchise tag figure isn’t that high — $11.196 million, according to overthecap.com’s projection. And the Jets have plenty of salary cap space — $67.948 million, according to overthecap.com’s estimate, which is based on a projected $180.5 million cap.

Douglas would still be able to make moves in free agency even while Maye’s tag figure of about $11 million counts against the Jets’ cap. Plus, tagging Maye would give Douglas more time to negotiate a contract with him. July 15 is the deadline for a franchise-tagged player to receive a long-term deal from his team. Otherwise, he must play the 2021 season on the tag.

Maye, who turns 28 on March 9, blossomed into a leader last season, after the Jets traded safety Jamal Adams to Seattle. More importantly, Maye thrived on the field for the second straight year, after he was limited to just six games in 2018 — his second NFL season.

In 2019, Maye ranked 14th in Pro Football Focus’ safety ratings, including 16th against the run and 14th in pass coverage. He was even better in 2020 — fourth overall, 13th against the run, and third in coverage. He proved why the Jets drafted him 39th overall in 2017.

He wasn’t just an excellent player on a brutal, 2-14 team last season. He was an excellent player, period — one of the league’s best at his position.

Maye also was voted the Jets’ 2020 MVP by his teammates. On multiple levels, he is a player the Jets’ rebuilding locker room must retain, as Douglas seeks more leadership and more productive play from a team saddled with five straight losing seasons

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

An edge rusher will definitely finally happen here. 

I think 2 edges would be a good approach for free agency. 

Edge rusher class is kind of meh, maybe some good depth, but certainly not top heavy.

Trey Hendrickson should be #1 defensive FA priority and add someone like Carl Lawson who won’t break the bank.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think 2 edges would be a good approach for free agency. 

Edge rusher class is kind of meh, maybe some good depth, but certainly not top heavy.

Trey Hendrickson should be #1 defensive FA priority and add someone like Carl Lawson who won’t break the bank.

Agree and it all depends on what we do with Quinnen Williams if in fact a trade happens for Watson and he's part of the deal. 

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree and it all depends on what we do with Quinnen Williams if in fact a trade happens for Watson and he's part of the deal. 

I honestly don’t think JD is the least bit interested in getting Watson (for what it will cost). He’s been on 3 Super Bowl winning teams, and the QB’s for those teams were Dilfer, Flacco, and Foles. 

Now, I don’t think this means he’s Rex Ryan reincarnate in GM form. I believe he is progressive and keenly aware that “QB is the most important position in sports.” (Direct JD quote) But, he definitely values a true team building-balanced approach, with the team allowing the QB to reach his potential vs. QB carrying the team.

Houston is going to stick their boots in the mud, and JD ain’t gonna be the mule to pull them out. Quinnen ain’t going anywhere, because we aren’t getting Watson (even though I would love it if we got him).

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PLO said:

Pauline reporting Jets interested in Tray Hendrickson @ ~ $13 mill per, and that around the league some people think the best approach for Joe Douglas is to trade Darnold and roll with Wilson as QB. 

I'd much rather Trey Hendrickson than Derek Barnett (who I've heard the Jets will target). I think Carl Lawson will get slapped with the franchise tag

• Upvote 1