Jump to content

2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***


Recommended Posts

NFL free agency 2021: Jets could target 7 players with Robert Saleh ties, including Bears’ Allen Robinson, 49ers’ Richard Sherman

Updated 6:45 AM; Today 6:45 AM 
Chicago Bears wide receiver Allen Robinson

Chicago Bears wide receiver Allen Robinson (12) could be a target for the Jets in free agency. (Associated Press)

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

Jets general manager Joe Douglas and new head coach Robert Saleh are in the process of crafting an offseason plan.

Could that plan result in some free agents with Saleh ties signing with the Jets?

Sure, it could, especially since the Jets have the NFL’s third-most salary cap space — about $63 million, based on overthecap.com’s projection.

Here’s a look at free agents with Saleh ties who could be on the Jets’ radar (with ages at the start of the 2021 season noted):

- Bears WR Allen Robinson (28): Saleh coached linebackers in Jacksonville from 2014-16, before he spent four seasons as the 49ers’ defensive coordinator. Robinson began his career with the Jaguars from 2014-17, then signed a three-year contract with the Bears. He will be a coveted free agent for teams who need a No. 1 receiver (like the Jets), because the past two seasons he had 1,250 and 1,147 yards, plus six and seven touchdowns.

 

- 49ers CB Richard Sherman (33): Another big name, but he’s getting up there in years. Then again, the Jets’ secondary is a mess. Sherman, for the right price, could be a valuable addition, both on and off the field. He’d instantly be a locker room leader, a guy who has bought in with Saleh. Sherman was a Pro Bowler in 2019, but played just five games last year.

- 49ers DE Solomon Thomas (26): He has just six career sacks, and he played in two games last season (torn ACL). He has absolutely not lived up to being the third overall draft pick in 2017. Does Saleh think Thomas can provide the Jets a much-needed pass-rushing presence? Few coaches know Thomas’ strengths and weaknesses better.

 

- 49ers WR Kendrick Bourne (26): Probably not a No. 1 receiver, but he could be a valuable complementary piece. His stats from the past three seasons — 667, 358, and 487 yards, plus two, five, and four touchdowns.

 

- 49ers CB K’Waun Williams (30): The Jets’ current slot corner, Brian Poole, is a pending free agent. If he departs, Williams could be the replacement. He was limited to eight games last season, when injuries were a major issue for Saleh’s defense. Signing with the Jets would be a homecoming for Williams, who attended St. Joseph Regional High in Montvale.

 

Buy Quinnen Williams Jets gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids


 

- 49ers CB Jason Verrett (30): He struggled with injuries earlier in his career, with the Chargers. After making the Pro Bowl in 2015, his second season, he played in just six games from 2016-19. So durability is a big question here. But 2020, his second season with the 49ers, was a success. He played in 13 games, had two interceptions, and ranked eighth in Pro Football Focus’ cornerback ratings. An excellent comeback season — in Year 7, no less.

- Bills RB T.J. Yeldon (27): He was in Jacksonville from 2015-18, so he overlapped with Saleh for two seasons there. Yeldon would be a depth addition for the Jets. Through two seasons in Buffalo, he has mostly been a non-factor — nine games, 133 yards in the regular season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joe Thuney and Corey Linsley is *not* a one or the other proposition for the Jets. If Thuney were to accept the Jets offer, they would still be interested in Linsley 👀 

Stage I [Jets fail to spend $200 million in the first six hours of free agency; JN blows out its collective diaper]: COMPLETE Stage II [Jets sign a bunch of second- and third-tier FAs; JN begins

Posted Images

I want Robinson SO BAD with this Oline improvement, stretch running game & Mims with a full camp.

It is TOUGH to be a #1 WR as a rookie with zero camp, out 8 games. Robinson immediately becomes #1 attention for opposing defenses allowing Mims to work against the 2nd CB. 
 

Wonder if Saleh & Douglas can rope him in? 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t want any of these dudes besides Robinson, and even then I’d probably prefer to pay Curtis Samuel $12 million a year over paying Robinson $20 million a year.

Thuney, Hendrickson, Samuel

Those are the 3 guys we should make our top targets. Maybe throw in Linsley as well. After that, go bargain shopping until the draft.

Samuel was on a tear at the end of the season. Good find relative to that Shanahan offense. 
Why won’t the Panthers resign him? 
He really fits that Deebo Samuel mode, can run on Jet sweeps ect. 
Had 158 total yards vs Skins at end of season. So many players should be out there to help Jets. Could be a JD lower tier under Robinson target if Joe build the killer Oline I think he & Saleh are envisioning. Don’t need A+ guys as B+ guys can get the job done a bit cheaper so we can have a more balanced team both on O & D with better depth. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joewilly12 said:

Priority #1 for NE might be a QB. 

That makes sense if they go the FA route but they might try drafting one and building the o line. F them either way. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Initially I thought Douglas would go "big name" shopping in free agency
(Thuney, Robinson/Godwin, Judon).  But with Saleh coming in and bringing
the Shanahan offense and a 4-3 defense I think we may go more "scheme
specific" during free agency.  I still believe Thuney will be a target
but I can see Douglas spreading the $$$ around on the below players
(which I put in another thread):  


RB

Matt Breida
https://www.nfl.com/players/matt-breida/stats/

Tevin Coleman
https://www.nfl.com/players/tevin-coleman/stats/

Marlon Mack
https://www.nfl.com/players/marlon-mack/stats/

WR

Corey Davis
https://www.nfl.com/players/corey-davis/stats/

Kendrick Bourne
https://www.nfl.com/players/kendrick-bourne/stats/

Curtis Samuel
https://www.nfl.com/players/curtis-samuel/stats/

TE

Gerald Everett
https://www.nfl.com/players/gerald-everett/stats/

Jonnu Smith
https://www.nfl.com/players/jonnu-smith/stats/

DE

Romeo Okwara
https://www.nfl.com/players/romeo-okwara/stats/

Kerry Hyder
https://www.nfl.com/players/kerry-hyder/stats/

OLB

Haason Reddick
https://www.nfl.com/players/haason-reddick/stats/

CB
Ahkello Witherspoon
https://www.nfl.com/players/ahkello-witherspoon/stats/


Would like to hear if @Mogglez or @football guy have heard any real info

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

***The OFFICIAL @joewilly12 tiny weenie THREAD***

I herby appoint you the ***OFFICIAL WINNER*** of the tiniest micro weenie on JetNation. 

Your name does it @Wonderboy  

Wonder if it's a boy or a girl first words said when you were born. 

Talk NY Jets and NFL football or SHUT THE HELL UP. 

Don't like the thread IGNORE it. 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KRL said:

Initially I thought Douglas would go "big name" shopping in free agency
(Thuney, Robinson/Godwin, Judon).  But with Saleh coming in and bringing
the Shanahan offense and a 4-3 defense I think we may go more "scheme
specific" during free agency.  I still believe Thuney will be a target
but I can see Douglas spreading the $$$ around on the below players
(which I put in another thread):  


RB

Matt Breida
https://www.nfl.com/players/matt-breida/stats/

Tevin Coleman
https://www.nfl.com/players/tevin-coleman/stats/

Marlon Mack
https://www.nfl.com/players/marlon-mack/stats/

WR

Corey Davis
https://www.nfl.com/players/corey-davis/stats/

Kendrick Bourne
https://www.nfl.com/players/kendrick-bourne/stats/

Curtis Samuel
https://www.nfl.com/players/curtis-samuel/stats/

TE

Gerald Everett
https://www.nfl.com/players/gerald-everett/stats/

Jonnu Smith
https://www.nfl.com/players/jonnu-smith/stats/

DE

Romeo Okwara
https://www.nfl.com/players/romeo-okwara/stats/

Kerry Hyder
https://www.nfl.com/players/kerry-hyder/stats/

OLB

Haason Reddick
https://www.nfl.com/players/haason-reddick/stats/

CB
Ahkello Witherspoon
https://www.nfl.com/players/ahkello-witherspoon/stats/


Would like to hear if @Mogglez or @football guy have heard any real info

Good list, not a fan of Everett, would definitely want Jonnu Smith. Can we dump Wesco? Talk about another wasted draft pick, my god!

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 big free agents for Jets’ Joe Douglas to target in 2021

Updated Dec 16, 2020; Posted Dec 16, 2020 
Joe Thuney

New England Patriots offensive guard Joe Thuney could be one potential free-agent target for New York Jets GM Joe Douglas during the offseason.AP

 
 

Jets DM Joe Douglas doesn’t want to use free agency as the main method of rebuilding the team’s roster. He made that clear in the middle of the 2020 season, saying drafting and developing players is the best way to ensure long-term success.

Douglas is positioned to do that after making nine selections in 2020, and the Jets currently have nine picks in each of the next two NFL Drafts, including a pair of first-round selections in each of them.

Still, Douglas can’t sit idly by in free agency in 2021, and the Jets have the cap space to make a splash for immediate roster grades with the team desperate for talent. He doesn’t need to spend to the cap in free agency, but he has the room to add a couple significant pieces to help the team.

 

Here are a few of the top free agents the Jets could target during the offseason.

 

G Joe Thuney, New England Patriots

 

The Jets’ interest in Thuney last offseason reportedly prompted the Patriots to use the franchise tag on him, but the two sides never came together on a long-term contract extension, so Thuney will be a free agent again following the 2020 season. Another franchise tag likely isn’t coming, and now Douglas might get the chance to pounce.

 

Alex Lewis’ future with the Jets is up in the air after the left guard went on the non-football injury list in the second half of 2020, and Greg Van Roten, who’s currently on IR, has been underwhelming at right guard since signing as a free agent last offseason. Douglas knows he still has work to do in rebuilding the Jets’ offensive line, and he needs to add more talent around rookie star Mekhi Becton at left tackle.

The Jets will likely try to add at least one more piece through the draft, but the 28-year-old Thuney would be one of the better offensive lineman available on the open market and could serve as a key piece in potentially protecting a new quarterback.

 

Buy Jets gear for the holidays: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids


 

WR Allen Robinson, Chicago Bears

 

One of Douglas’ biggest regrets of the past offseason was not giving quarterback Sam Darnold enough weapons entering the 2020 season. He’s not going to make that mistake again for Darnold or any quarterback the Jets select at the top of the 2021 NFL Draft.

 

The wide receiver free agent class is deep, but Robinson might be the most talented player available. Despite suspect quarterback play throughout his career, he’s been productive with both the Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears. He recorded his third-career 1,000-yard season in 2020, despite catching passes from Nick Foles and Mitch Trubisky.

 

Lining him up opposite Denzel Mims and Jamison Crowder would give the Jets a plethora of talent at wide receiver next season.

 

Edge Matthew Judon, Baltimore Ravens

The Jets’ biggest defensive need is at cornerback, but free agency might not be the best option for addressing that position. However, he could find a significant upgrade in the front seven.

 

The Jets still rank in the bottom 10 of the NFL with 21 sacks this season, and Judon would be an immediate help in rectifying that. He has 32.5 sacks during his five NFL seasons, and given Baltimore’s depth at the position and tight cap situation, he’ll likely be on the move during the offseason. Adding him will give the Jets another needed playmaker on the defensive side of the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Player Pos. 2020 Team 2021 Team Type Snaps Age Current APY Guarantees
Breshad Perriman WR Jets   UFA 65.8% 28 $6,500,000 $6,000,000
Brian Poole CB Jets   UFA 42.3% 29 $5,000,000 $4,500,000
Bradley McDougald S Jets   UFA 38.0% 31 $4,500,000 $5,500,000
Jordan Jenkins EDGE Jets   UFA 46.4% 27 $3,750,000 $3,250,000
Patrick Onwuasor LB Jets   UFA 0.0% 29 $2,000,000 $2,000,000
Neville Hewitt LB Jets   UFA 99.2% 28 $2,000,000 $1,000,000
Marcus Maye S Jets   UFA 99.9% 28 $1,638,503 $4,134,462
Joe Flacco QB Jets   UFA 25.3% 36 $1,500,000 $550,000
Matthias Farley S Jets   UFA 17.5% 29 $1,290,000 $0
Frank Gore RB Jets   UFA 38.4% 38 $1,050,000 $200,000
Daniel Brown TE Jets   UFA 2.8% 29 $960,000 $0
Pat Elflein RG Jets   UFA 41.9% 27 $936,960 $936,840
Josh Andrews C Jets   UFA 31.4% 30 $910,000 $0
Bryce Hager LB Jets   UFA 12.0% 29 $910,000 $0
Arthur Maulet CB Jets   UFA 35.5% 28 $875,000 $175,000
Trevon Coley DT Jets   UFA 17.3% 27 $825,000 $0
Ross Travis TE Jets   UFA 0.3% 28 $825,000 $0
Tarell Basham EDGE Jets   UFA 64.4% 27 $808,878 $835,856
Frankie Luvu LB Jets   RFA 22.6% 25 $750,000 $0
Josh Adams RB Jets   RFA 7.6% 25 $750,000 $0
Bennett Jackson CB Jets   UFA 0.0% 30 $675,000 $0
Vyncint Smith WR Jets   RFA 5.1% 25 $615,000 $0
Harvey Langi LB Jets   RFA 45.0% 29 $615,000 $0
Kyron Brown CB Jets   ERFA 0.0% 25 $540,000 $0
Jeff Smith WR Jets   ERFA 32.2% 24 $540,000 $0
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I want Robinson SO BAD with this Oline improvement, stretch running game & Mims with a full camp.

It is TOUGH to be a #1 WR as a rookie with zero camp, out 8 games. Robinson immediately becomes #1 attention for opposing defenses allowing Mims to work against the 2nd CB. 
 

Wonder if Saleh & Douglas can rope him in? 

If we sign sign Robinson, draft Sewell and Etienne- our offense will look good with anyone at qb

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

3 big free agents for Jets’ Joe Douglas to target in 2021

Updated Dec 16, 2020; Posted Dec 16, 2020 
Joe Thuney

New England Patriots offensive guard Joe Thuney could be one potential free-agent target for New York Jets GM Joe Douglas during the offseason.AP

 
 

Jets DM Joe Douglas doesn’t want to use free agency as the main method of rebuilding the team’s roster. He made that clear in the middle of the 2020 season, saying drafting and developing players is the best way to ensure long-term success.

Douglas is positioned to do that after making nine selections in 2020, and the Jets currently have nine picks in each of the next two NFL Drafts, including a pair of first-round selections in each of them.

Still, Douglas can’t sit idly by in free agency in 2021, and the Jets have the cap space to make a splash for immediate roster grades with the team desperate for talent. He doesn’t need to spend to the cap in free agency, but he has the room to add a couple significant pieces to help the team.

 

Here are a few of the top free agents the Jets could target during the offseason.

 

G Joe Thuney, New England Patriots

 

The Jets’ interest in Thuney last offseason reportedly prompted the Patriots to use the franchise tag on him, but the two sides never came together on a long-term contract extension, so Thuney will be a free agent again following the 2020 season. Another franchise tag likely isn’t coming, and now Douglas might get the chance to pounce.

 

Alex Lewis’ future with the Jets is up in the air after the left guard went on the non-football injury list in the second half of 2020, and Greg Van Roten, who’s currently on IR, has been underwhelming at right guard since signing as a free agent last offseason. Douglas knows he still has work to do in rebuilding the Jets’ offensive line, and he needs to add more talent around rookie star Mekhi Becton at left tackle.

The Jets will likely try to add at least one more piece through the draft, but the 28-year-old Thuney would be one of the better offensive lineman available on the open market and could serve as a key piece in potentially protecting a new quarterback.

 

Buy Jets gear for the holidays: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids


 

WR Allen Robinson, Chicago Bears

 

One of Douglas’ biggest regrets of the past offseason was not giving quarterback Sam Darnold enough weapons entering the 2020 season. He’s not going to make that mistake again for Darnold or any quarterback the Jets select at the top of the 2021 NFL Draft.

 

The wide receiver free agent class is deep, but Robinson might be the most talented player available. Despite suspect quarterback play throughout his career, he’s been productive with both the Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears. He recorded his third-career 1,000-yard season in 2020, despite catching passes from Nick Foles and Mitch Trubisky.

 

Lining him up opposite Denzel Mims and Jamison Crowder would give the Jets a plethora of talent at wide receiver next season.

 

Edge Matthew Judon, Baltimore Ravens

The Jets’ biggest defensive need is at cornerback, but free agency might not be the best option for addressing that position. However, he could find a significant upgrade in the front seven.

 

The Jets still rank in the bottom 10 of the NFL with 21 sacks this season, and Judon would be an immediate help in rectifying that. He has 32.5 sacks during his five NFL seasons, and given Baltimore’s depth at the position and tight cap situation, he’ll likely be on the move during the offseason. Adding him will give the Jets another needed playmaker on the defensive side of the ball.

Cant see the ravens letting Judon go

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Drums said:

Are the Pats going to try resigning Thuney? I thought they had some decent cap space. 

I hope they try & lowball him, he gets pissed & leaves. I just keep envisioning this kickazz Oline. Thuney- Lindsey- Slater after a trade back with Cincy? or Atlanta? and have another #2 & #3! Sweet spot at #23, #34, #35 or #38?

How fun would that be on the 2nd day? Imagine starting out round #2 at #34 & #35? 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If we sign sign Robinson, draft Sewell and Etienne- our offense will look good with anyone at qb

+ Thuney? Josh Myers at #66? reup Eiflen & you would have great depth, 3 guys that can play Guard or Center (Eiflen, McGovern & Myers), talk about versatility!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to hearing about the player who grew around the block from Saleh great Aunt's second cousin who is becoming a FA and is a great fit for the Jets.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Wonder if Saleh & Douglas can rope him in? 

National Football League GIF by Houston Texans

There is only 1 player who can guarantee all the top FA offensive talent give the Jets serious consideration.

Watson would be closely followed by our Cap Space flexibility

make it rain money GIF by yvngswag

& finally.......Saleh would be the additional comfort that FA want, followed by JD as the solid GM being in place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • joewilly12 changed the title to 2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...