2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

A franchise coming off a two win season with a thread-bare roster is the last place most free agents want to go - you're going to have to over pay significantly.  

Seriously if you're Corey Linsley and the money is equal, do you want to snap balls to Justin Herbert in LA or do you want to snap to an unknown QB at Florham Park? Same thing with Joe Thuney, even if the Jets are offering more guaranteed money do you choose the Jets or Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs?

The Jets have signed who they've signed so far, they've done moderately well with convincing players to take the cash and join a crap roster with an unknown quarterback. There's not that much interior line talent still available in free agency...it is what it is.  they are going to have to swing at one or two interior linemen in the draft.

Joe Douglas moves slowly, it worked with the Jamal Adams trade... so far admittedly it's not a great look in free agency. It's easy to criticize a GM on the third day of free agency.

At the end of the year is a time to light torches and wade across the moat in Florham Park, not now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

@Mogglez  look I get it you don't like him but don't disparage his talent level. 

Kid is a playmaker get him the ball he makes things happen. 

He is a much better slot WR than Jameson Crowder.  

No, he is not.  However, he is more versatile.  But - like Joe Douglas - I preferred Davis as our WR target FA.

Do not get me wrong, I am fine with adding Ju Ju.  Just not on a three year deal at 11 per.  Lets wait awhile.  Somebody decent will come on a prove it deal to compete with our draft pick for the #4 spot. 

As for Crowder, I like him in the slot.  The problem is he compromises the team's offense when he lines up outside.  But in the slot, he is above average for the NFL.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I feel like one more splash signing would at least put us in a better spot.  As of now we have signed exactly four FAs, none of whom got monster deals and as a result, we are sitting on the largest pile of cap room in the league.  That's great the day before FA starts, but not so great three days after.

Principles are great to have, but you also need to use the money somehow.  Throw a little extra at Golladay and I think that would quiet the critics for the most part.  Maybe bring in Clowney to man the other DE spot for a year.  Maybe roll the dice on Trai Turner to get back to his all-pro form in a new system.  I'm not in love with many of the options remaining at this point, but clearly we can't go into the season with $50M of salary cap unspent.  Or maybe we can, but that would seem to be malpractice on Douglas' part.  

You have to adapt your 'princples' to the conditions around you.  I hope this isn't just self-defeating stubbornness on JD's part.

Mixed reports out there on where Golloday is heading. One report describing the Dolphins and the Jets  in pursuit. Another has there being mutual interest between Golladay and the Giants, he's meeting the Gmen for a physical.

GiantPossibly.png

6 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Mixed reports out there on where Golloday is heading. One report describing the Dolphins and the Jets  in pursuit. Another has there being mutual interest between Golladay and the Giants, he's meeting the Gmen for a physical.

GiantPossibly.png

yeah those Jets and Phins reports are a week old. He's going to be a Giant.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

But haven't we heard how respected JD is and how much players love and respect Saleh?

Wasn't that the narrative we were being pitched?

Haha. It doesn’t matter if they are respected. They are still unproven. The Jets as an organization are NOT unproven. They are a proven disaster and one of the worst franchises in the league. Constant turnover and turmoil is not a good look. 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Next year’s QB class doesn’t even compare to this one. We must find our franchise QB. Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance: ONE of them will be really good, I would assume. Who? That’s not my job. That’s why JD makes millions. This decision will impact us for a very long time. 

This is something that 90% of the fans will oppose but I’m in favor of keeping Sam AND drafting Wilson. 

What do joe burrow and Zach Wilson have in common? Give up? They weren’t considered anything close to top picks before the starts of their last college seasons. Every year a qb or two come out of nowhere. Do I know who the top qb prospects will be next year? No, I sure don’t, but what I do know is that every year there are qb’s that multiple teams, websites, and talking heads hype up as the next group of franchise qb’s. Every year we see at least 3-4-5 qb’s taken in the first round. From what I’ve seen, especially recently, is that the difference between a bust and hit is the team that surrounds that rookie qb. Does anyone honestly think that if josh allen had been drafted to the Jets, we would all be thinking we’d be set at qb heading into this draft? There will be more opportunities next year, why throw another highly drafted prospect into the fire when we have the chance to build and bring the next guy into a situation where they have an actual chance to succeed. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

yeah those Jets and Phins reports are a week old. He's going to be a Giant.

The Bengals have a one year offer on the table too. Apparently Judge is a stickler, insisting on meeting Golladay in person first to see if he is a 'culture fit', before green lighting the deal.

1 minute ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Why do we think we need another wr?  We just signed a very good one.  I guess we could cut crowder. He that seems kind of silly. 

A tandem of Davis and Galloday/JuJu would benefit any QB 

Mims needs to prove he can stay healthy for 17 games 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Whatever decision is made at #2, will be JD’s biggest decision of his life. If he trades back, and Wilson turns out to be a franchise QB, he will never step foot in NY. 

And, if by the grace of God, he gambles on Darnold, and Sam clicks with Saleh and LaFleur into a FQB, he will be a Lou Lamoriello level GM in NY sports lore...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

See while I empathize with you, I'm in camp F the critics. You can't let fans or media dictate how you build the team. Yes, the fan consensus has been right about some things that the Jets have been wrong on (hard not to be this past decade), but for every time they complained about something and were proven "right", they celebrated moves that blew up in our face. 

I remember the Connor Rogers, Joe Caporoso, and Nick Spano's of the world who are just #JetsTwitter fanboys masquerading as analysts freaked out of joy saying we "stole" Le'Veon Bell. I remember how they applauded Macc for not taking "no" for an answer on CJ Mosley, continuing to bid against himself to the tune of $2.5 million APY more than the nearest bidder offered. I remember when they cried for the Jets to go WR in round 1 last year, cried about how the Jets made a huge mistake by drafting Quinnen Williams over Josh Allen (DE) and Ed Oliver basically touted their stances by saying "I told you the Jets should've listened to me." How do they look now? What if we did trade that 2nd round pick for Ngakoue like the fans wanted? What if we signed Clowney? All would've been horrible moves. 

It's easy to point out the times the critics are right, but no one points out when they were wrong. The fans suffer no real consequences for having wrong takes... that's the beauty of being a fan. I saw Joe C's tweet today about how "#JetsTwitter would've gotten the team to the playoffs". Horsesh*t. The fans would've signed Todd Monken and we would be where we are now except with a flashier offense and a busted payroll. But guess what? He ultimately has nothing to lose, and when he/fans are wrong, they just eat their foot and move on.

I realize that I have nothing to lose and Joe has everything to lose. He's the big man in the big chair, thus he should block out the noise and build the team the way he sees fit. Ultimately, I get to analyze, criticize, and try to make sense of the moves he does/doesn't make. That's what I signed up for. But no, I'm not going to be on the side of suggesting the man should abandon his way for the sake of a short-term gain. 

Throughout the history of the game, building through the draft has been how to win. It's what we all wanted for over a decade. Now we finally have a guy whose process oriented and dedicated to a rebuild and we complain. Maybe it's because I'm more of a Process > Results guy, but I think abandoning your principles for the sake of a short-term gain is worse than potentially missing out on a good player because you were disciplined in your process. Everyone has their own way but that's just how I see it. 

With all that said, here's to hoping the Jets add some serious talent tomorrow!

giphy.gif

astute

there's someone else around here with half a brain.

shocker.

• Haha 3

I hear all the rationalizations and much of it makes sense, however, when you have that much space, desperately need help at a specific position, you outbid everyone. Period. End of discussion. Now you HAVE to spend a high pick on oline. And don't give me that crap about being able to find a guard in the third round (still waiting for cam Clarke to take a snap). We can't take that risk, especially if we're bringing on a rookie qb. Not getting thuney at all costs significantly alters your draft plans and pigeon holes you into drafting need high. Possibly need to take 2x lineman with an eye to replace fant next year. This affects other positions we can address in the draft so some position group (either pass rushers, CB or pass catchers) will once again be lacking. These holes will never be plugged 100% by the draft. JD will be on the unemployment  line long before they are. I supported JD last year when he didn't spend due to cap uncertainty, talented guys being franchised and us generally still being years away. This doesn't make any sense to me. Spend goddamnit JD

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

See while I empathize with you, I'm in camp F the critics. You can't let fans or media dictate how you build the team. Yes, the fan consensus has been right about some things that the Jets have been wrong on (hard not to be this past decade), but for every time they complained about something and were proven "right", they celebrated moves that blew up in our face. 

I remember the Connor Rogers, Joe Caporoso, and Nick Spano's of the world who are just #JetsTwitter fanboys masquerading as analysts freaked out of joy saying we "stole" Le'Veon Bell. I remember how they applauded Macc for not taking "no" for an answer on CJ Mosley, continuing to bid against himself to the tune of $2.5 million APY more than the nearest bidder offered. I remember when they cried for the Jets to go WR in round 1 last year, cried about how the Jets made a huge mistake by drafting Quinnen Williams over Josh Allen (DE) and Ed Oliver basically touted their stances by saying "I told you the Jets should've listened to me." How do they look now? What if we did trade that 2nd round pick for Ngakoue like the fans wanted? What if we signed Clowney? All would've been horrible moves. 

It's easy to point out the times the critics are right, but no one points out when they were wrong. The fans suffer no real consequences for having wrong takes... that's the beauty of being a fan. I saw Joe C's tweet today about how "#JetsTwitter would've gotten the team to the playoffs". Horsesh*t. The fans would've signed Todd Monken and we would be where we are now except with a flashier offense and a busted payroll. But guess what? He ultimately has nothing to lose, and when he/fans are wrong, they just eat their foot and move on.

I realize that I have nothing to lose and Joe has everything to lose. He's the big man in the big chair, thus he should block out the noise and build the team the way he sees fit. Ultimately, I get to analyze, criticize, and try to make sense of the moves he does/doesn't make. That's what I signed up for. But no, I'm not going to be on the side of suggesting the man should abandon his way for the sake of a short-term gain. 

Throughout the history of the game, building through the draft has been how to win. It's what we all wanted for over a decade. Now we finally have a guy whose process oriented and dedicated to a rebuild and we complain. Maybe it's because I'm more of a Process > Results guy, but I think abandoning your principles for the sake of a short-term gain is worse than potentially missing out on a good player because you were disciplined in your process. Everyone has their own way but that's just how I see it. 

giphy.gif

Totally get and agree with the long term strategy. 

But at what point does $50M in cap room become a non-optimal strategy to enter the season with?  My point is simply that without sacrificing any draft picks, we could convert some of that cap into a quality player (or a sound risk at landing one).  We don't necessarily need to tie up too many years, but is it really breaking the plan to overpay a guy like Golladay an extra $5M of signing bonus to land him on a 4-year deal that the Giants can't match?  

I'm not putting my wisdom above JD's.  I'm just wondering if he is so married to not exceeding his prices that he's willing to simply underspend on principal but to the detriment of acquiring the talent this team needs to progress.  If the draft is his be all and end all, then there are sometimes ways to convert cap into more picks and this year there should be some teams that could use that kind of help.

But one more point.  Having lots and lots of picks is great now and for the next 3 years.  But there's a price to pay down the road if you draft too well all at once.  All those guys will be hitting their second contracts around the same time.  A good problem to have, and not anything I would be worried about yet, but something to keep in mind.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Why do we think we need another wr?  We just signed a very good one.  I guess we could cut crowder. He that seems kind of silly. 

What happens when Corey Davis gets injured. Then we have the same sh*tty wr corps as last year.

What happens if Mims goes down. Davis is a solid number 2. he's already proven he is not a #1 wr. 

This team needs another wr.  More likely to come in the draft than FA IMO. Would love Terrace Marshall Jr at 23 or even najee harris. But I'm sure we will draft a lineman or CB instead.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I’m ok with slow and steady as long as the arrow is finally pointing up- a little respect would be nice, a little sustainability.  First JD had to tear down the old structure built on terrible contracts and horrible coaching.  

He’s got a LT, a 25 year old EDGE and 25 year old solid AF WR2, a decent Center and a decent CB2.  Above average FS. He inherited QW. That’s 6 of 22 spots, only 16more to go ? He still has $50 mill and more draft capital than any other team.  He’s about to draft Zach Wilson.

Every FA (signed to more than one year deals) and every draft pick from last year is the right kind of guy. Robert Salah, the right coach, will be leading those right guys. 

I was excited when we signed Le’Veon Bell and CJ Mosley, I was wrong to be. At times I don’t like the slow and steady pace but JD has a clear vision and he’s executing the blueprint Ozzie Newsome taught him. I kinda trust the guy because he acts like a he knows what it’s supposed to look like and is doing it brick by brick. 

Still money to be spent and a big draft to happen. We have to be patient but I’m more optimistic about the long term future than I’ve been in a long time.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, football guy said:

giphy.gif

Great post. If I was JD looking at what’s left in free agency, Aa least in terms of offensive talent, I’d probably sit on my money as well.  Trai Turner? No thanks.  Another slot, or the 6th best TE? Nah. 

If anything, he should fortify the defense.  Trade for Danielle Hunter, build out the secondary, and then follow the Carolina blueprint dedicate all draft assets to one side of the ball.  But in our case; offense. 

• Upvote 2