2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

10 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Feels like Douglas is in love with the idea of keeping Sam, trading down and getting more assets and building up this roster. 

Seriously, the Jets current situation is a wet dream for a GM that wants to build through the draft. They literally need everything. JD doesn't have to target a weakness and is free to trade down within the first three rounds for more picks and future picks because he can find new starters for this talentless team throughout the first three rounds while simultaneously adding 2022 draft capital.   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Paying Tyrod Taylor $12.5m ?

Sounds like they are hedging their bets in case they cannot bring Watson to heel by the beginning of the season. I would not be surprised if they end up trading him mid-season, before the trade deadline, to a contender that has a season ending injury to their own starting QB. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

In my opinion, this is dumb af, if we talking about a bad QB class maybe that could be a valid argument but we really have some good talent on the board at number 2, I really want to know what "the league" and Douglas is seeing in Darnold, after 3 years of watching him play he never did passed the eye test and what is worse for him is that in almost every metric and stat that is out there he's in the bottom of the league. You can blame Adam Gase, lack of WRs or whatever you want, but if you take out the emotion of being a Jets fan, you would never want Sam Darnold on your team, I doubt anyone here would like to trade anything for the worst ranked QB in the league. Everything starts with the QB, is the most important position in sports, if you have a chance to take really talented guys like Wilson or Fields you don't **** around and trade down to get a TE. WRs, TEs, RBs, they all come and go and there are multiple ways to acquire a skill players as for QBs I don't think so...

you saw the super bowl right? imagine if Mahomes didn't have a line every single week, then take away all this talented WRs...oh and no TE oh and have gase coach? YOu think Mahomes would win? sure he probably would have wont he same games Sam did, maybe a few more, but he would look like trash and just every know and then make a play work while running for his life and getting knocked around. 

The reason people like sam is because he is very talented, it literally takes no complex thought or training to see his talent. He has made plays and made people around him look good at times, but that was not the case, his team was terrible and the people he threw to were terrible, the plays and line were all ....yup you guessed it terrible...i.e. all the drops and most interceptions..

I read your comments and just wonder if you have watched any of the games. Because it doesnt seem like you did. Most people that evaluate talent will all tell you the kid never got a fair shot, right or wrong doesnt mattter, it is what it is, but when people say you know, Sam just needs a change of scenery, a new team to give him a second chance. a team with a little protection, some talent on the offensive side of the ball and some good coaching will do him good.

Well Saleh and Joe think that second team is the NY Jets. Think about. new coaching, plays desinged to help him and at least now 2 WR that are big and can catch the damn ball. Its a pretty good start and we are only in day to of FA.

Sam might still be a bust, gase may have broke him with his stupid ass coaching, but my guess is he will be fine and rebound just like Tannehill in Tenn. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Paying Tyrod Taylor $12.5m ?

It’s actually pretty smart bringing in Tyrod, that pretty much assures you will find your long term answer to QB either this season or the next.  Look at his recent history.  Guy is a lucky charm if you’re going to draft a QB.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That does not make a lot of sense TBH. If they think Wilson is a FQB they will pick him and worry about Sam separately.

Exactly.

The QB position is too important to think of it in this manner. QB is probably the most important position in professional sports and I think Douglas (like everyone else) has to think the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Seriously, the Jets current situation is a wet dream for a GM that wants to build through the draft. They literally need everything. JD doesn't have to target a weakness and is free to trade down within the first three rounds for more picks and future picks because he can find new starters for this talentless team throughout the first three rounds while simultaneously adding 2022 draft capital.   

Pretty much. I’m fully prepare for them to not take a QB and just roll with Sammy. I hate it but like it. 

• Upvote 3

We also have to realize that we are talking about Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyrod Taylor.  None of them are the future for these teams.  They need to ensure that they have somebody on the roster not named Geno Smith while they pursue Watson, Wilson, Sam or a move up in the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Bungaman said:

Sounds like they are hedging their bets in case they cannot bring Watson to heel by the beginning of the season. I would not be surprised if they end up trading him mid-season, before the trade deadline, to a contender that has a season ending injury to their own starting QB. 

Not a hedge, they’re moving Deshaun.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, prime21 said:

Anyone notice how the Colts have a playoff team after losing a generational QB and don't make many waves on the market even though they have money?

giphy.gif

The Colts roster is 100x better than the NY Jets and Phillip Rivers was their QB last season. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Anyone notice how the Colts have a playoff team after losing a generational QB and don't make many waves on the market even though they have money?

giphy.gif

Good observation.  But maybe the reason they're not making waves is because they already have that playoff roster?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yes, I'm sure he is in love with the idea of trading down.

But there's this unfortunate thing in the NFL - you need a QB.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Meanwhile, the Jags are providing their generational, dawn of a new era QB, with Phillip Dorsett, Carlos Hyde and now Marvin Jones. 

Jags have DJ chark and laviska shenault and a stud rb in james robinson, they also have a few other good WR

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Seriously, though!

There were two guys and they were out of reach. That 30-year-old first time pro-bowler is now the highest paid center in the league. **** that. 

As the Jets fill other needs and depth with free agents, it just leaves more and higher picks to address the OL. JD still has trades available at his disposal, too. All you guys who think a football team is only the offensive will have to wait a bit, but it's going to be addressed. 

In the meantime, the Jets filled two serious, long time needs with solid players. 

I agree.  Further, interior lineman fall in the draft particularly if they do not offer inside out versatility in the league.  "Guard only" and "center only" players with starting grades can be had in the 3d, 4th, and later rounds.  Most of the guards with starting grades were still on the board in the 4th last year and one was still available in the 6th.  These guys had third round grades and one had a 2d. 

I would be looking to add a guard with one of our 3ds and would be a bargain hunter later on.  You never know how the draft will unfold and I fully realize that we must get better on the interior or the season will implode.  It does not mean that you have to pay a lot, but it does mean that you have to focus on it.  We really do need to add two guys inside to compete with Clark for the starting jobs.  I would look to add a veteran to add to the mix but see it as a position that you can fill in the draft and expect to get some good value out of a third round pick if you just stick to the value board.

As for free agency so far, I vastly prefer what we have done to making a long term commitment at big money to Thuney and Lindsey.  We had to pay up to bring in Corey Davis who was desperately needed - he is the big X or Z that you MUST have - and Lawson was an essential addition if we are serious about a transition to a 4-3.  A transition that will take time to execute.  As for the linebacker Davis, we needed to add a 4-3 linebacker and he offers scheme versatility and is not grossly overpaid.  A fine first day. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Listening to Chris Ballard interviews, he thinks this way. I wouldn’t brush it off as there’s no way JD thinks this way. Ballard sees addressing the QB position like any other position. He doesn’t buy into this get “your guy” at QB philosophy.

Same folks who are surprised Joe Douglas didn’t give an iOL a blank check this offseason see no way Douglas has a value based approach to filling the quarterback position.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, I'm sure he is in love with the idea of trading down.

But there's this unfortunate thing in the NFL - you need a QB.

And it's not like we're starved for capital and NEED to trade down to ever hope of building a good roster.

We still have 4 first rounders in the next 2 years. We already have infinitely more capital to build around a Wilson/Fields than we ever could with Darnold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

And get a worse return? Makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

On the bright side, if Joe Douglas keeps Darnold it will be the first time in NFL history, a team with the NFL’s worst starting QB on a expiring contract, drafting top 2 in a QB heavy class, trades down because they want to get more draft picks. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2