2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I firmly believe Pats will be gifted Deshaun. If not him, then they are going after Mac Jones.

If that happens I would almost bet that at least half the teams in the league never deal with Caserio again. Especially if other teams have better offers on the table. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

If that happens I would almost bet that at least half the teams in the league never deal with Caserio again. Especially if other teams have better offers on the table. 

Yes, but I still think it’s likely.

• Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

He said he wants to build through the draft yet nobody believes him..](*,)

You're right Savage69, but we have more roster openings than draft picks so he does need to do more in FA. Doesn't need to go for high priced FAs, but we need more players signed (even if we bring back some of our own like Poole, etc).

I'll play along, NE has the 15th spot in the first round.  With all 5 QB's
potentially going in the top 10 they are going to have a hard time bidding
against other teams to move up for Jones.  How in the world are they going
to get Watson???  Supposedly HOU would want from us three #1's and Quinnen
Williams, what in the world could NE offer HOU???

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

A 2022 2nd round pick and an 'attaboy'?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

A 2022 2nd round pick and an 'attaboy'?

10 minutes ago, KRL said:

They have two 2nd year TE that are available!! LOL

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Smith is lightening fast and a former QB. QBs are usually smart, and often have some of the best hands on the team. Bringing him in is no guarantee of a roster spot, but if a player has speed and smarts, it's certainly worth it to keep kicking the tires on the guy for another summer. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The important football related matter in this post (and let's keep it to football here) is item #4. Only because that's my initial takeaway from this story this morning. I do not think teams are going to be rushing to trade for Watson right this second now. Allegations like this have to be vetted. The league has enough problems. 

Now, if Watson isn't traded before (or during) the draft, what happens then? Watson still isn't going to be happy about being on the Texans, and will still want out. Should he be vindicated, or the case is otherwise dismissed, clearing his name and the way for a team to confidently trade for him, how does that work between the draft and opening day? The same way the Jamal Adams trade went down, I'd guess. 

So if the Jets feel they can still get Watson, and he's not moved by the time they're on the clock, the move is probably to trade out of the #2 pick and acquire another first in 2022 as part of the package. In fact, they could move down more significantly and add an extra first in 2023 potentially, too. That would give them three firsts next year and two the following, giving them a huge surplus of picks available to trade. Much more, I'd think, than anyone else could possibly offer. 

I think the Jets feel that there is no way this guy gets moved before the draft, and if they are serious about trying to get him at a later date, this will be the plan.

44 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

How many teams need to get under the cap today?

According to Over The Cap, there are still 5 teams over the cap: The Saints, Packers, Bears, Rams, and Eagles.  Then, there are 9 teams with less than $10 million cap space, The Falcons, Texans, Steelers, Vikings, Bills, Chiefs, Buccaneers, Lions, and Giants.

How up to date that is I don't know, but the Jets have Corey Davis, Justin Hardee, and Jarad Davis, but it does not have Carl Lawson.

As of right now, going into actual free agency and a BUNCH of players still to be cut, the Jets have the most cap space.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

The important football related matter in this post (and let's keep it to football here) is item #4. Only because that's my initial takeaway from this story this morning. I do not think teams are going to be rushing to trade for Watson right this second now. Allegations like this have to be vetted. The league has enough problems. 

Now, if Watson isn't traded before (or during) the draft, what happens then? Watson still isn't going to be happy about being on the Texans, and will still want out. Should he be vindicated, or the case is otherwise dismissed, clearing his name and the way for a team to confidently trade for him, how does that work between the draft and opening day? The same way the Jamal Adams trade went down, I'd guess. 

So if the Jets feel they can still get Watson, and he's not moved by the time they're on the clock, the move is probably to trade out of the #2 pick and acquire another first in 2022 as part of the package. In fact, they could move down more significantly and add an extra first in 2023 potentially, too. That would give them three firsts next year and two the following, giving them a huge surplus of picks available to trade. Much more, I'd think, than anyone else could possibly offer. 

If one is to buy the narrative that this is somehow team-driven, it does lend to the thought that an investigation would extend beyond this years' draft. It would essentially kick the can down the road on the trade, and possibly give the team some extra time to mend fences. I can't fathom how, if this was created by or related to McNair, they would do it without contemplating how this could negatively affect the compensation teams would be willing to put up. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Smith is lightening fast and a former QB. QBs are usually smart, and often have some of the best hands on the team. Bringing him in is no guarantee of a roster spot, but if a player has speed and smarts, it's certainly worth it to keep kicking the tires on the guy for another summer. 

The post you quoted is 100% accurate.  Us Jets fans tend to obsess with guys that really aren’t good - training camp heros and if they were on a real team, they’d be cut. For the most part, guys that switch positions aren’t successful.  He was a bad qb and a bad wr.  I guess you need camp bodies.

1 minute ago, slats said:

His skills at WR were pretty abysmal. I can't remember which game it was but I remember him putting in one of the worst performances I'd ever seen from an NFL player. I had said as much before Football Outsiders said the same. So he definitely doesn't have some of the best hands on the team.

He's still a project though so maybe they've seen something worth persisting with idk. He's showed glimpses in the Denver game but fell off a cliff thereafter. It's not like we were deep at the position either. 

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

According to Over The Cap, there are still 5 teams over the cap: The Saints, Packers, Bears, Rams, and Eagles.  Then, there are 9 teams with less than $10 million cap space, The Falcons, Texans, Steelers, Vikings, Bills, Chiefs, Buccaneers, Lions, and Giants.

How up to date that is I don't know, but the Jets have Corey Davis, Justin Hardee, and Jarad Davis, but it does not have Carl Lawson.

As of right now, going into actual free agency and a BUNCH of players still to be cut, the Jets have the most cap space.

Would those teams up against it be forced to release players in order to sign their draft classes with that little room?

21 minutes ago, KRL said:

Exactly. I can't understand how people think favors like this are a real thing. The owner of the team will want to know what all the offers are for Watson, and won't care if Caserio is friends with ol' Billy.

If he's traded, it'll be in a deal that is meant to help the Texans as much as possible, not the Patriots.