2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

His skills at WR were pretty abysmal. I can't remember which game it was but I remember him putting in one of the worst performances I'd ever seen from an NFL player. I had said as much before Football Outsiders said the same. So he definitely doesn't have some of the best hands on the team.

He's still a project though so maybe they've seen something worth persisting with idk. He's showed glimpses in the Denver game but fell off a cliff thereafter. It's not like we were deep at the position either. 

Agreed.  If both Smiths make this roster at the end of camp, then JD failed the WR position again this year.  

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Does anyone else find the timing of Sexual assault allegations interesting?  Given how bad Watson has been making the Texans look throughout all this?

+1. I'm sure there is a lot of dirty stuff happening behind the scenes. The rumored documentary or whatever has to have pissed off and terrified a lot of people in the Texans org. Imagine all of the stuff that could have been said, not realizing DeShaun was recording all of it.

1 minute ago, freestater said:

If one is to buy the narrative that this is somehow team-driven, it does lend to the thought that an investigation would extend beyond this years' draft. It would essentially kick the can down the road on the trade, and possibly give the team some extra time to mend fences. I can't fathom how, if this was created by or related to McNair, they would do it without contemplating how this could negatively affect the compensation teams would be willing to put up. 

I'm generally not much for conspiracy theories and, like you say, it would be McNair shooting himself in the foot here. Not that people don't do that sort of thing, and maybe you can't put it past the Texans so-called brain trust, but that would be extremely counter-productive for them, with everyone potentially looking really bad. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

According to Over The Cap, there are still 5 teams over the cap: The Saints, Packers, Bears, Rams, and Eagles.  Then, there are 9 teams with less than $10 million cap space, The Falcons, Texans, Steelers, Vikings, Bills, Chiefs, Buccaneers, Lions, and Giants.

How up to date that is I don't know, but the Jets have Corey Davis, Justin Hardee, and Jarad Davis, but it does not have Carl Lawson.

As of right now, going into actual free agency and a BUNCH of players still to be cut, the Jets have the most cap space.

Overthecap is pretty far behind right now.  For example, they don't have the Lawson contract on the Jets as of 9am this morning.  Spotrac isn't any better off.  So we're going to have to wait for one of them (or do the work ourselves).  But my hunch is that there are still some significant cuts that will need to be made by around a half dozen teams.  Even teams that are just under might want to sign someone else and will have to cut to add.

5 minutes ago, freestater said:

If one is to buy the narrative that this is somehow team-driven, it does lend to the thought that an investigation would extend beyond this years' draft. It would essentially kick the can down the road on the trade, and possibly give the team some extra time to mend fences. I can't fathom how, if this was created by or related to McNair, they would do it without contemplating how this could negatively affect the compensation teams would be willing to put up. 

Exactly. It's why this "Grassy Knoll" theory is pure nonsense.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

These are some moves that *could* happen today (I'm sure I'm missing some and none of these may end up even landing, but just some names that have been connected either by my own research/homework or from things I heard throughout the offseason

• Trade for DE Derek Barnett (PHI)
  • Trade for LB Kenny Young (LAR)
  • Sign QB C.J. Beathard (SF) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign QB Nick Mullens (SF) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign WR Marquise Goodwin (SF/PHI) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign WR Keelan Cole (JAX) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign RB Marlon Mack (IND) to a 1-year deal
  • Sign RB Phillip Lindsay (DEN) to an RFA offer-sheet 
  • Sign TE Gerald Everett (LAR) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign TE Trey Burton (IND) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign OL Hroniss Grasu (SF) to a 1-year dealn
  • Sign DL Sheldon Rankins (NO) to a 2-year deal 
  • Sign DE Kerry Hyder (SF) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign DE Ronald Blair III (SF) to a 1-year deal
  • Sign LB/SS Keanu Neal (ATL) to a 3-year deal 
  • Sign LB Anthony Walker (IND) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign FS/DB Ricardo Allen (ATL) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign FS/DB Jaquiski Tartt (SF) to a 1-year deal
  • Sign CB K'Waun Williams (SF) to a 3-year deal 
  • Sign CB Rasul Douglas (CAR) to a 1-year deal 
  • Sign CB Kevin King (GB) to a 1-year deal

Still a lot of moves to be made. I'm holding out hope for Curtis Samuel, but I don't think it's going to happen. 

From everything we have seen and heard, JD definitely is building a team from the draft.  He loves the one year deals to give us cap flexibility and not regret paying someone who doesn't work out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

Would those teams up against it be forced to release players in order to sign their draft classes with that little room?

The league can void contracts until you are under the cap.  They can take draft picks away, levy fines and suspensions of executives.  Its kinda a big deal!

So, for instance, the Eagles are still $14 million over the cap.  The easiest out is Derek Barnett, who would save them almost $11 million.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

2021: It's Happening – Stay Calm & Plan Ahead | Stephan P. McMahon & Company

LOL.  I don't believe there is anything to this at all other than JAX pretending to do some diligence.  But if they really loved Wilson, I wonder if that would crack the door open to flipping picks.  

• Haha 2

Just now, nycdan said:

2021: It's Happening – Stay Calm & Plan Ahead | Stephan P. McMahon & Company

LOL.  I don't believe there is anything to this at all other than JAX pretending to do some diligence.  But if they really loved Wilson, I wonder if that would crack the door open to flipping picks.  

The source is a BYU reporter, so who knows what he actually knows.

3 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

The Jacksonville Jaguars, who have the No. 1 pick are sending (Zach) Wilson their playbook, getting Wilson multiple Zoom meetings and phone calls from new head coach Urban Meyer, passing game coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.” Dick Harmon

They couldn't be that stupid...could they?

8 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The post you quoted is 100% accurate.  Us Jets fans tend to obsess with guys that really aren’t good - training camp heros and if they were on a real team, they’d be cut. For the most part, guys that switch positions aren’t successful.  He was a bad qb and a bad wr.  I guess you need camp bodies.

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

His skills at WR were pretty abysmal. I can't remember which game it was but I remember him putting in one of the worst performances I'd ever seen from an NFL player. I had said as much before Football Outsiders said the same. So he definitely doesn't have some of the best hands on the team.

He's still a project though so maybe they've seen something worth persisting with idk. He's showed glimpses in the Denver game but fell off a cliff thereafter. It's not like we were deep at the position either. 

He's a bottom of the roster guy. He's probably not likely to make the team. But you can't teach speed and keeping him around at this point as one of 85 guys is nothing to have any emotion about. I'm certainly not excited about him, not by any stretch. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The league can void contracts until you are under the cap.  They can take draft picks away, levy fines and suspensions of executives.  Its kinda a big deal!

So, for instance, the Eagles are still $14 million over the cap.  The easiest out is Derek Barnett, who would save them almost $11 million.

I wonder if the league would just pick a contract or (more likely IMO) start unwinding newly signed contracts in reverse chronological order until the cap was reached.  It would seem to be really arbitrary to do it any other way.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I guess the Roscoe Diner wasn’t open? 

yo dont knock it, that diner is fantastic.  Roscoe is actually a hell of a time if you like small rural towns in the mountains.  They have a brewery, distillary, some good bars, the Diner.  AND ALL THE TROUT FISHING YOU COULD WANT! lol

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, freestater said:

Axiomatic, really. When you're ******* awful, you gotta put up the actual cash to lure FAs. Not just the pumped up numbers the agents sell themselves on. 

Macc baby.

How much money wasted on Tru, Bell and Quinc?

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Corey Davis already has experience catching passes from Gase Survivors.  

Coincidence?

Gase made Tannehill bad.

Traded Tannehill to Titans so Corey Davis could develop.

Gase then made no Jets WR develop so that the Jets could sign Corey Davis.

I think we can thank Gase for the Jets signing Corey Davis.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Overthecap is pretty far behind right now.  For example, they don't have the Lawson contract on the Jets as of 9am this morning.  Spotrac isn't any better off.  So we're going to have to wait for one of them (or do the work ourselves).  But my hunch is that there are still some significant cuts that will need to be made by around a half dozen teams.  Even teams that are just under might want to sign someone else and will have to cut to add.

Lawson is the only contract for Jets not on there.  As stated, it is what it is right now, so some of the teams could be under the cap by now.

Point is,  more than half the league right now has less than $25 million going into F/A, with about a 1/4 of them still over the cap.  There is going to be some opportunities to get some good players, if you have some patience.  That of course is not synonymous with Jets fans.  

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

They couldn't be that stupid...could they?

On the contrary. Great way for them to really get a feel with what's between the ears. Even harder now with no combine, personal visits, etc. Think it's due diligence. Urban Meyer may not have an NFL experience, but he's no dummy.