2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

Hope not.  Crowder is a player who is just as good and you’d have to pay JuJu just as much, if not more.
I wanted Samuel more, but JD has to try to still upgrade. I agree with your logic, but JuJu is younger and more talented then Crowder. ( + if they keep Darnold, they have a past working relationship that should help) I really don't want the possible headaches of signing JuJu, but for a few million more then Crowder's salary, it's still an upgrade. I do like Crowder though, and we might be able to trade him if we sign JuJu. I still wanted Samuel more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Crowder:  I think a top 15 slot guy

Mims:  2nd year player who has promise

Davis:  a pretty good WR supposedly only getting better.

With the Jets having as many roster holes as they do, does it make sense to dedicate another 10+ million on a 4th WR?

I mean yeah I'd love to, but then whose snap count suffers?  The guys making 12 million per, or the 2nd year guy who needs the reps?

Maybe JD think the base WR corps is set, and draft another to develop for obviously much less money.

It's also a very good draft for receivers - top to bottom. We don't need to make another significant signing at receiver in free agency. 

• Upvote 4

If the Jets plan is Darnold or rookie, we are not doing them any favours here. We couldn't have been in on Everett, the lasto f the decent tight ends or the guard that got traded to Seattle? 

What is the master plan here? Or is this just one ever-lasting rebuild with a carry over of cap space year on year? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yes. That was a bit over the top - plus the "The Browns is the Browns" comment before playing Cleveland.

I don't mind swagger, especially from athletes. We all get it. Have some fun out there and do what you gotta do to psyche yourself up. Dance when you score a touchdown; play with confidence and aggressiveness. I'd do those things too if I had that talent.

But when you're giving the opposing team clipboard material and generally conducting yourself as a more of a professional wrestler than football player, I'm not really looking for that in my team culture. 

Granted, if he was Randy Moss, I'd make an exception. But Ju Ju is just an above average receiver that's played for a great franchise. 

I hope we don't sign him. 

Thats fine and your opinion BUT this team has lacked talented players for years. We haven't made the playoffs since 2010. If 2-14 didn't make fans realize we suck then nothing will. The NY Jets are a bottom feeder NFL team and will remain that way with the mindset we need to sign and draft all choir boys. This team has no identity. Ever see NY Jets jerseys hanging in sporting goods stores there is no player worth buying. Many thought we would drastically improve in free agency and be more aggressive and involved we aren't. Frustration is the word amongst many on this board. Theres always next year right. 

1 minute ago, K_O_Brien said:

If the Jets plan is Darnold or rookie, we are not doing them any favours here. We couldn't have been in on Everett, the lasto f the decent tight ends or the guard that got traded to Seattle? 

What is the master plan here? Or is this just one ever-lasting rebuild with a carry over of cap space year on year? 

Perhaps this is a Knicks scenario where free agents simply don’t want to come here.

The taxes, losing culture, high cost of living, bad weather, etc. 

14 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

The goal is to not repeat with the QB you draft  what happened with Darnold and his lack of help for three years.

This is a rebuild you weren’t gonna fill every hole this year anyway.

Concentrate on helping the Qb out 

With $80 million they could have filled every hole during this 2nd wave, instead JD is sitting it out.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TomDex69 said:

Here's my take on JD so far:

Regarding Sam:  I think he overplayed his hand and lost all leverage in negotiations by not moving him prior to FA.  This idea that the front office and coaching staff are not up to speed on Wilson or Fields by now is laughable.  And if they haven't met with them already over zoom then that's ridiculous.  You don't need a pro day to decide on which QB to take.  They've had scouts in person at all of their games and they have extensive game film on them already.  A decision has already been made and JD misplayed his hand big time.  Sam is not much of an upgrade, if at all, over the guys who got signed already.  

Regarding FA:  Any good GM will self evaluate after the season to see where things went wrong and where things went right.  It was obvious to anybody who watched the Jets that the positions on offense that needed to be upgraded were:  QB, Interior OL, WR and TE.  They have only upgraded WR.  Solid FA's that could fill a lot of their holes are getting signed for about 75% of what they would in any other year and JD, sitting on $50 million, is not being aggressive to fill the holes on this team.  And they're all getting 1 year deals, the JD specialty, so he can't use the excuse that these signing would affect future caps. I know the excuse will be, "the player has to want to come here".  Giving a larger signing bonus and/or guarantee on a 1 year deal will get most players to come here.  Especially those who are FA's for the 1st time.  The lack of upgrades on offensive line are reminiscent of Mac.  For someone who came here and was outwardly professing to anybody who would listen that the offensive and defensive line are his biggest priorities he sure has sh*t the bed.  One of the worst offensive lines in the NFL has not been improved upon and to this point it looks like that's the way it's going to stay. 

Regarding Building through the draft:  Building thru the draft does not mean finding starters with every pick.  Not one player beyond round 2 should be expected to start year 1.  It rarely happens in the NFL.  There are a lot of cases where mid round picks wind up being highly successful but most of that is due to development over the course of a couple of years, not right away.  So realistically based on prior precedent it's more likely that only 2 of the Jets first 5 picks will end up starting year 1.  That's not a guess, that's based on years of precedent.  The chances that both 1st round picks will be good players is not good either.  The success rate in the first round is 50%.  The draft should be used to build the depth of your team, not the bulk of your starting lineup.  You have to be aggressive in filling holes via FA.  That doesn't mean signing the best guys, it means being aggressive in that 2nd tier which are usually shorter contracts and less money, right up JD's alley.  This off-season is worse than last year and I didn't think that was possible.  I think they're tanking and just not letting anybody in on it.

Dude. You should post more.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, TomDex69 said:

Regarding Sam:  I think he overplayed his hand and lost all leverage in negotiations by not moving him prior to FA.  This idea that the front office and coaching staff are not up to speed on Wilson or Fields by now is laughable.  And if they haven't met with them already over zoom then that's ridiculous.  You don't need a pro day to decide on which QB to take.  They've had scouts in person at all of their games and they have extensive game film on them already.  A decision has already been made and JD misplayed his hand big time.  Sam is not much of an upgrade, if at all, over the guys who got signed already.  

You know, Gilligan's Island got stuck with a Ginger on it for a long time too, but she was much better looking.

Honey Bees Vintage GIF

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Hope not.  Crowder is a player who is just as good and you’d have to pay JuJu just as much, if not more.

He’s also more in line with the type of player Joe wants. Crowder is a pros pro w/good character. Not sure that’s Juju lately. But we’ll see.  

• Upvote 3

The problem that douglas has with darnold is the same issue that a lot of these analysts have - they’re stuck on his pre draft evaluation and can’t reconcile this with how bad he’s been in the nfl.  But other teams aren’t biting and that’s when douglas probably figured he’d wait and he’d find another sucker like he did to fork up a ton for adams.  

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
Urban Meyer mentions Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields and Zach Wilson as potential No. 1 picks. “This is monumental moment for this franchise.” He adds: "That's going to be one of the most important decisions I make in my lifetime....I see some elite QBs out there right now."

building up drama to boost ratings for the draft and draw attention to a franchise no one really cares about

Kudos for this post

Regarding FA:  Any good GM will self evaluate after the season to see where things went wrong and where things went right.  It was obvious to anybody who watched the Jets that the positions on offense that needed to be upgraded were:  QB, Interior OL, WR and TE.  They have only upgraded WR.  Solid FA's that could fill a lot of their holes are getting signed for about 75% of what they would in any other year and JD, sitting on $50 million, is not being aggressive to fill the holes on this team.  And they're all getting 1 year deals, the JD specialty, so he can't use the excuse that these signing would affect future caps. I know the excuse will be, "the player has to want to come here".  Giving a larger signing bonus and/or guarantee on a 1 year deal will get most players to come here.  Especially those who are FA's for the 1st time.  The lack of upgrades on offensive line are reminiscent of Mac.  For someone who came here and was outwardly professing to anybody who would listen that the offensive and defensive line are his biggest priorities he sure has sh*t the bed.  One of the worst offensive lines in the NFL has not been improved upon and to this point it looks like that's the way it's going to stay. 
Regarding Building through the draft:  Building thru the draft does not mean finding starters with every pick.  Not one player beyond round 2 should be expected to start year 1.  It rarely happens in the NFL.  There are a lot of cases where mid round picks wind up being highly successful but most of that is due to development over the course of a couple of years, not right away.  So realistically based on prior precedent it's more likely that only 2 of the Jets first 5 picks will end up starting year 1.  That's not a guess, that's based on years of precedent.  The chances that both 1st round picks will be good players is not good either.  The success rate in the first round is 50%.  The draft should be used to build the depth of your team, not the bulk of your starting lineup.  You have to be aggressive in filling holes via FA.  That doesn't mean signing the best guys, it means being aggressive in that 2nd tier which are usually shorter contracts and less money, right up JD's alley.  This off-season is worse than last year and I didn't think that was possible.  I think they're tanking and just not letting anybody in on it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Raiders have basically let go almost every staring OL lol.

Wasn’t there oline a strength the past few years?

In a puzzling free agency, the Raiders take the cake. What on god’s earth are they doing?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ju-Ju is younger and could compliment Crowder both can co-exist on this team. 

We need explosive playmakers. 

Juju is not an explosive playmaker, he’s an ok slot receiver. And you don’t play your limited WR4 10-11 million dollars.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1