2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

joewilly12

Deciding to stick with the worst QB in the NFL who based on historical trends is like 5% likely to be any good instead of using a top 3 pick to grab a guy in a QB heavy draft is as risky as you can get.
People act like sticking with Darnold is safe when it has the highest chance to blow up in JD's face, and also speeds up his clock no matter what.
Here is the thing. If douglas sticks with darnold and it backfires he can say darnold was never his guy and that now he has a high pick with lots of other draft capitol to build what he wanted in the first place. It is foolish to believe jd took this job without having some belief that darnold could be successful in the first place though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

I might have said this already, but Jets are so clearly 4th best team in division and it's not remotely close.

With the 4th best management in the division.  And it doesn't seem to be close.

Seriously, I'm just kidding - still, we really don't know what JD is yet and I'm not giving up on the guy 1 day into free agency

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

Deciding to stick with the worst QB in the NFL who based on historical trends is like 5% likely to be any good instead of using a top 3 pick to grab a guy in a QB heavy draft is as risky as you can get.

People act like sticking with Darnold is safe when it has the highest chance to blow up in JD's face, and also speeds up his clock no matter what.

This doesn't get said enough. All this talk about how risky any one of the kids to draft are, how about how risky Sam Darnold is after the 3 years he's had. It's overwhelmingly more likely that if he stays, we get the same or marginally better. Hoping for a breakout in a year 4 is every bit as pie in the sky as expecting one of these kids to be Herbert or Joe Burrow. 

• Upvote 2

Not drafting a QB is just an ill-advised decision. We have a QB that has been consistently bottom of the league with little odds of success and a premium pick in a QB heavy draft to replace him. Plus it's not like we don't have capital to build around a new QB with our 4 first rounders in the next 2 years. 

When you have the worst player at the most important position in the NFL it's foolish to even debate not replacing him. Especially when you have the #2 pick in a great class. And the fact that we can't even get a high 2nd for Darnold is further evidence as to why we shouldn't keep him. This isn't that hard to get.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Seriously, I'm just kidding - still, we really don't know what JD is yet and I'm not giving up on the guy 1 day into free agency

I’m waiting for my Mosley for La’el Collins trade.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Here is the thing. If douglas sticks with darnold and it backfires he can say darnold was never his guy and that now he has a high pick with lots of other draft capitol to build what he wanted in the first place. It is foolish to believe jd took this job without having some belief that darnold could be successful in the first place though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

It's much more likely that Darnold is eh....and the Jets win 5 or 6 games - having them pick at 7 or 8....

So he'll need to move on from Sam - but won't be a position to get a top QB.

Just there's so much more risk in passing on a QB at 2.  I really, still, don't see it happening. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

1 day into free agency? Officially sure.. but day 3 is just about over

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Not drafting a QB is just an ill-advised decision. We have a QB that has been consistently bottom of the league with little odds of success and a premium pick in a QB heavy draft to replace him. Plus it's not like we don't have capital to build around a new QB with our 4 first rounders in the next 2 years. 

When you have the worst player at the most important position in the NFL it's foolish to even debate not replacing him. Especially when you have the #2 pick in a great class. And the fact that we can't even get a high 2nd for Darnold is further evidence as to why we shouldn't keep him. This isn't that hard to get.

I agree.  There’s already a Hamletesque feel to this darnold situation where there’s too much hesitation and fear of making a mistake, when the only real mistake is to keep darnold and foolishly believe he’ll become a good qb when the jets can take any qb except Lawrence and build around that guy who would have to be an abject failure to be worse than what they have.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mike135 said:

Or... usually the team with the:

Worst Offensive line

Worst WR corps

Wirst TEs

Worst RBs

Worst coach

...  will have the worst QB.

Kelvin Beachum, Kelechi Osemele, Robby Anderson all left Sam Darnold’s confused version of QB play to find improvement in other places. Joe Flacco woke up the offense after he shook off the rust. Gardner Minshew put up 16 TDs in 9 games on the actual worst team in the league. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

New York Jets

Notable moves:

Franchise tagged S Marcus Maye

Signed Titans WR Corey Davis (3 years, $37.5M)

Signed Bengals DE Carl Lawson (3 years, $45M)

Signed Lions LB Jarrad Davis (1 year, $7M)

Here's what it looks like for a New York team to spend smartly. Corey Davis and Carl Lawson can be top 15 players at premium positions, and both instantly improve the Jets' chances. Jarrad Davis' deal is a little rich, but he's a high-upside plug-in, too.

Grade: A

via cbs sports 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The problem is what if Fields or Wilson becomes a clear franchise guy and we backed off from being able to take them. That’s a fireable offense.

What if JD trades the number two pick and lands 2 or 3 more first rounders and a couple of seconds. He builds a talented team and then drafts a legit franchise qb next year, all while Wilson and fields struggle? You can play the what if games all you want but some of you guys are acting like Wilson / fields are can’t miss guys. Go look at the last 10 drafts and all the first round qb’s selected. I don’t know the exact percentage but I’d be willing to bet that the hit rate is in the 10-15 percent range. This team stinks. The Jets have a very rare opportunity to pull off an RGIII type of deal. There are 3-4 first round qb’s in almost every draft. With two first rounders in next years draft with the possibility of having 3, the Jets will have every opportunity to get their guy next year al while having a much better supporting cast in the likely event that Sam busts. This is not a do or die year to get a qb, not with the amount of holes this team currently has.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

@Mogglez

Career stats. 

Crowder                  6 years 84 games 540 targets 358 receptions 4160 yards 26 TD's 

Smith-Schuster     4 years 58 games  443 targets 308 receptions 3726 yards 26 TD's 

One played next to Antonio Brown for the first two years of his 4 year career, along with Big Ben throwing him the ball, and the other was the primary option for Alex Smith, Haskins, and Sam Darnold (in an abhorrent Adam Gase scheme).

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I get the sense the Jets weren’t going to pay over $10m APY

What I do believe is possible- Jets make an offer for JuJu at a figure like $8.5-10m on a 1-year deal with incentives. At that point, they would either keep Crowder and just roll squad deep at WR (unlikely), trade him for a late round pick in 2022 sometime before training camp, or just cut him. This makes sense for Jets because they get a player who would likely play a ton of Y/F WR (and even TE), they'd be able to see how he competes for a year before potentially offering an extension in 2022, and they'd be saving some money on an upgrade (love Crowder but JuJu is clearly an upgrade). 

Douglas likes JuJu and isn't as concerned about the off-field distractions, so I do believe the above is a very possible outcome... I think they had a higher figure on him, but they're not going to sign him to the figure they had in mind when the market plummeted and they already signed a guy to $12.5m APY. So the Jets certainly have a positive bargaining position if they chose to make an offer, but ultimately it comes down to what JuJu's market is and what he's holding out for. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

If this is really all the Jets plan on doing there’s no doubt they trade back from 2 

It takes them out of the running for Deshaun Watson too. Would not make much sense to make that trade if you have to give up a ton of draft capital after doing very little in FA. If JD dares to bring back Darnold next season we’re all in for a world of hurt.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mogglez said:

One played next to Antonio Brown for the first two years of his 4 year career, along with Big Ben throwing him the ball, and the other was the primary option for Alex Smith, Haskins, and Sam Darnold.

Pittsburgh loaded with talent at WR Johnson Washington Claypool last season also hurt his stats.